Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 15:13   #1
BHPian

RS after fitting KONI FSD shocks

After driving my RS for 37K kms completely stock, I went in for a humble mod of replacing the standard shocks with Koni FSD. I was a little taken aback when I opened the box and noticed the in-your-face golden colour of the FSD, but thankfully its not visible behind the wheels.

Fitting was done by our TBHP member Arush in just about 2 hours and after a short test drive, Arush certified the car road-worthy.

I have driven 1000kms after this mod and am all praise for the Konis. Fast lane changes at very high speeds (110-120) are a breeze. You do not get that sick feeling that your car will mount the central verge or over-stray into another lane.

The RS always had good cornering capability which is even more taut than before. On a deserted side road, I have completed a 90 degree right turn at a speed of 45-50, in 4th gear, without touching the brakes, without tyres squealing. I could never do that with the stock shocks. Such a turn could be easy for a hatch, but not a car as big as the Octy.

All in all, I think its a worthwhile purchase. A car like the RS should have this setup as standard.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:53   #2
BHPian

how much did you pay for them , did you consider the bilsteins and then decided to go for the konis?
Old 20th March 2009, 19:02   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

@bomi

nice to hear that you are loving your RS. Any other mods in the pipeline?
How about a detailed report of your ownership experience?

cheers
bharti22shresth
Old 20th March 2009, 22:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Aha. This is one thread i will follow very carefully.

What did it cost you.
Any changes in the comfort etc.
How about experience over potholes etc.
Old 20th March 2009, 22:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey isn't the skoda also a hatch kidding
Have you dropped the height?? koni fsd are good on the rs have driven a few with them. Bang for buck
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:36   #6
BHPian

I was away so could not reply. The Konis cost me 46K incl fitting. I did not consider any other brand because the Koni's were extensively reviewed on BRISKODA and feedback was consistently good. The Koni does not change the car's height. I am not one to write detailed experiences but I will sum mine thus: no car around 15 lacs can give the driving pleasure that the RS has given to me.

Abhinav - if your tyres are > 3 years old, recommend you change them. My car came with Dunlops which went "hard" over 3 years; the ride becoming increasingly jarring. I changed to Contis recently (stock size) and potholes are a breeze. Perhaps the tyre compound goes stiff in the extreme Delhi temperature, over time.
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:21   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic! I've high-revved Monkeys car and have seen first-hand what the FSD's are capable of. Congratulations on making your RS that much better.
Old 21st June 2010, 12:30   #8
BHPian

Have been toying with the idea of Koni FSDs for my Mercedes W203 C200K... from whatever little i've read up about the konis, it appears that they provide improved handling at higher speeds while not compromising on ride quality at slower speeds. While that sounds like the ideal combination, would like to get some feedback from those using it regarding whether the slow speed ride does really remain comfortable on broken / ridged road surfaces or over manhole covers.
I drive regularly from Mumbai to Pune and Nashik and therefore the improved handling would be great. But given that I use this as a commuting vehicle to and from work everyday (Juhu to Fort), comfort remains of primary importance.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Ravi.
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:10   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ravi, the Koni FSDs offer variable damping (similar in purpose to the new C Class). They're softer within the city, and firm up at high speeds. I see you drive the previous-generation C Class which suffers from an overtly stiff ride within the city. I'd highly recommend the FSDs to you. The ride will noticeably improve at low speeds. Though, don't expect a plush E-Class like comfort level. For that, you'll have to downgrade the wheel size to 15 inches (as per the specs of the pre-facelift W203 C Class).
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Are koni FSD's available for the Scorpio/Xylo? I'd love to see a scorpio with the current ride quality and a great handling (asking for too much? )
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Aha! I will be closely following this thread. Congratulations.
I wonder if the FSD can be fitted on the Civic.

One noob question: Have you changed to FSD front and rear both or it just the rear?

Thanks
Old 29th June 2010, 13:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey Bomi,
You fed us with a teaser and have sped away, not done mate.

cheers
Old 30th June 2010, 14:13   #13
BHPian

I am more of a reader than writer on this forum. The Koni FSDs are performing very well and I have no regrets about buying them. I drive the Pune-Mumbai stretch quite often and look forward to the ghat's twisties, although the new expressway has toned them down considerably. My car has done 47K kms and a change in suspension bushes is imminent. Thanks to the lousy roads of Mumbai where I have moved now. The cobble-stones on sections of the road suck big time. Cheers. Bomi.
Old 2nd July 2010, 20:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
I am more of a reader than writer on this forum. The Koni FSDs are performing very well and I have no regrets about buying them. I drive the Pune-Mumbai stretch quite often and look forward to the ghat's twisties, although the new expressway has toned them down considerably. My car has done 47K kms and a change in suspension bushes is imminent. Thanks to the lousy roads of Mumbai where I have moved now. The cobble-stones on sections of the road suck big time. Cheers. Bomi.
So am I
Glad to know you are happy with your upgrade. Can you please share the contact details of the person who did this upgrade?

I would love to have a word with him.

Thanks

Most Viewed