Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2005, 16:34   #1
BHPian

FIAT PETRA Power Steering problem and FIAT India's responsiveness!

Guys,

I am back! Writing after a while but did not had anything to write earlier.

Okay here is the update on the Power Steering problem:

It has been rectified but no thanks to Fiat for that now lets start with series of events:

Problem first felt as soon as I took the car out of showroom on 6th June 2004, reported the same to Dealer?.response ?It is a new car thus you are feeling steering a bit hard?

Problem reported again within 3 months at first service?response ?Sir, the car is perfect you are just feeling it?absolutely no problems?.

Bought my wife?s Palio GTX in September 2004 and as soon as I drove the car from FIAT company, I told myself again ?this is smooth (GTX?s PS) there is definitely some problem with Petra?s PS? but again dealer could not locate any issue?still they considered it my imagination!

Second service in Jan 2005, complained again?.still same response. Decided to drive the car to Delhi and show to dealer I trust (Samyak). Samyak got PS manufacturer (Rane Industries) and the Engineer confirmed there is a problem. PS rack replaced by Samyak?.Steering smooth but still sticky feeling while turning steering to 15/20 degrees on left. Since I had to leave next morning for Bombay, decided to show to dealer on my return.

Feb 28, called up dealer, asked me to come, checked car and certified ?alright??again sticking PS was my imagination! Anyways returned and drove for 100 KMs more before putting my foot down and confronting dealer. Dealer advised to send the car again and this time I refused without Dealer getting all spares if required for replacement as each trip costs me 500 bucks (Double toll at airoli included). Dealer agreed to send a mechanic and get my car checked. Mechanic came and I proved to him, he agreed that there is indeed a problem. In the mean time dealer kept on promising me to arrange all PS spares and get my car picked?.6 weeks passed!!!! No response!

Finally gave up and sent car to dealer on 29th April for checking and arranging spares. 1 week later car returned, informing that PS problem has finally been solved. FIAT checked and it turned out to be an ?alignment issue? drove car on 5th May and SURPRISE???????The damn thing is exactly same as it was a week ago.Had enough, gimme a solution! Damn it!!?.Assured of getting all experts and resolving issue definitely ASAP but since I had to be away at Kolkata for 10 days, left the car just parked.

Returned from Kolkata on 13th night, called up dealer immediately in morning who picked up the car. FIAT expert suggested on phone to check alignment again, as they were sure that this is not a mechanical issue. 4 Alignments later problem persisted, I took advice from one industry expert and he suggested checking Strut bearing. Advised Dealer to check strut bearing?. THEY WERE FOUND JAMMED! I was happy that at least this would solve my problem. Strut bearings were replaced, dealer confirmed that this issue has been around since FIAT has discontinued rubber caps for struts in post NV all vehicles.

Went to dealer post strut bearing replacement on 18th May to pick the car, Problem persisted and for the first time dealer accepted that there is a problem indeed and PS really gets stuck!! Called up FIAT?.surprise again?.FIAT INDIA HAS ASKED ALL IT?S EMPLOYEES TO PROCEED ON 15 DAYS LEAVE (INCLUDING ADMINSTRATIVE AND MARKETING STAFF) AND THEY HAVE BEEN ASKED TO STAY AT HOME AND WAIT FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS!! I somehow managed to get Mr Bhatnagar (After Sales Support HEAD) and his response?..?We have no one to address your issue, today is 18th, please wait till 24th May when staff returns on duty and I would arrange for an expert to check your issue?. By this time I have had enough told him point blanc that I am not moving from workshop until my problem is resolved and I would ensure that no one from workshop leaves till my problem is resolved. Dealer was reluctant to get any spares as they are expansive and told me that these days FIAT refuses to honor any warranty spares until unless there own people visit from company and certify it to be faulty. Imagine! Hearing this after leaving your car in workshop for more than 2 weeks! Anyways?.told dealer Fu@# FIAT and Fu@# YOU!! Change the entire damn thing right now!! The dealer arranged for a PS rack and replaced, test drove the car after alignment and Voila!! Jackpot!!! It?s smooth as butter and exactly as my other car GTX.

Later dealer told me that they have been refused any replacement and he would have to manage this rack?s replacement by some hook or crook method?.I DON?T CARE!! Dealer confessed that many recent Petras and Palios have reported similar issue but due to apathetic attitude of FIAT, they are just telling customers?.?It?s there imagination!?

Got my baby back yesterday after cleaning, earlier with 2 weeks in workshop it looked 10 years old! And I am happy!!! Issue resolved. Best part, I sent car with tank full and they sent me a bill of 900 for Petrol Parts changed:
Power Steering Rack twice.
Strut bearing both sides.

My baby is rocking now as it should be. I have enjoyed the steering after almost one year of purchase! And it was not my imagination?.there was an issue!!

I know FIAT would not change so here is a backup?.I now have all workshop manuals (Palio/Petra) around 1500 pages and with Bosch service around and my warranty getting over in 10 days, I would manage stuff on my own (looking a manual it doesn?t looks that difficult) BUT don?t you think FIAT should feel ashamed about this entire episode?..1 YEAR TO RESOLVE A PROBLEM!

My next car ?Skoda RS P. (though I would keep my Palio GTX and Petra as just classic collectibles, absolutely unbeatable fantastic cars!)

Bye Bye FIAT INDIA forever!

On the lighter note?..I just treated myself with a 30 GB Creative Nomad Jukebox Extra to de-stress from FIAT India, man it rocks! Don?t go for iPod. Next is Belkin FM transmitter for wireless music in car.

Phew!!

Regards,

-Rishi.

PS: I wanted to post this in long term section but seems I dont have rights to do that. In case this makes more relevance in that section, please copy-paste.
Old 20th May 2005, 16:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

FIAT India lost a valued customer ... and maybe some prospective ones too I guess. I dont think I can recommend the Petra now. :( Though I have not faced a problem yet.
Old 20th May 2005, 17:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
FIAT India lost a valued customer ... and maybe some prospective ones too I guess. I dont think I can recommend the Petra now. :( Though I have not faced a problem yet.
The problem is not the car...it is fantastic but ASS sucks big time.
Old 20th May 2005, 17:17   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ouch, 1 entire year to solve a damned power steering problem!! Plus all those calls and visits to the workshop?

This experience redefines a "terrible customer experience"

Quote:
I know FIAT would not change so here is a backup?.I now have all workshop manuals (Palio/Petra) around 1500 pages and with Bosch service around
Thats what I would do as a Fiat owner.

GTO
Old 20th May 2005, 17:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor
The problem is not the car...it is fantastic but ASS sucks big time.
But it is part of the package no? And I love the car too. BTW, did you try Anuroop. I know you are in Mumbai, but I don't know the dealer you are 'dealing' with. Check out Anuroop. Those guys are good. You can talk to a Mr Mirza over there.
Old 20th May 2005, 17:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

hey R_K,

good that your problem has been rectified.BTW which dealer in mumbai are you talking about???
Old 20th May 2005, 17:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
hey R_K,

good that your problem has been rectified.BTW which dealer in mumbai are you talking about???
Fortpoint Thane, i bought my car from them. I think problem is back end support from Fiat.
Old 20th May 2005, 17:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Why does Fiat wants to send all it's staff on a two weeks leave? My wild guess is there is a complete organization restructure happening at Fiat. hahaha...Trying to be very optimistc for buying two Fiat cars.

r_k. How did you get the service manuals? Where can I avail them?
Old 20th May 2005, 17:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Why does Fiat wants to send all it's staff on a two weeks leave? My wild guess is there is a complete organization restructure happening at Fiat. hahaha...Trying to be very optimistc for buying two Fiat cars.

r_k. How did you get the service manuals? Where can I avail them?
Satish, I bought this thru a friend from FIAT directly (though they give only to dealers), it cost 800 bucks a section and total of 10-11 sections.
Old 20th May 2005, 18:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the lighter note?..I just treated myself with a 30 GB Creative Nomad Jukebox Extra to de-stress from FIAT India, man it rocks! Don?t go for iPod. Next is Belkin FM transmitter for wireless music in car.
You surely do deserve that pal!

I simply fail to understand why FIAT believes that if a customer has a problem, "its his imagination" is their answer? I mean don't they understand that the customer can just see thru their lies!

Restructuring is on, this is confirmed. The management is preparing for ALL to take over matters. Apparently, an inside birdie tells me that all is not well within FIAT India since a lot of top flight execs have been accused of financial malpractices of a really high order. The case seems quite similar to Daewoo India's.

Hope ALL and the new management team manage to resurrect this flagging ship.

Revv
Old 20th May 2005, 19:44   #11
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know FIAT would not change so here is a backup?.I now have all workshop manuals (Palio/Petra) around 1500 pages and with Bosch service around and my warranty getting over in 10 days, I would manage stuff on my own (looking a manual it doesn?t looks that difficult)
While this is good for you, I don't think after paying 5-6lakhs I'd want to go through the manual & service teh car on my own. Maybe a vintage car, yes........but surely not a car that's just about a year old. The car maybe good alright but this kind of pathetic attitude from Fiat is just not acceptable but hardly you can do anything about it. Its their way of saying..you bought our car inspite of knowing our miserable state in this country..now suffer Really really hopeless.......
Old 20th May 2005, 22:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Rishi,

sad to hear about your whole experience ! but from what ive heard Fortpoint is the worst dealer in bbay !! you should have tried Anuroop , they are good !

FIAT A.S.S sucks and sucks big time !!

cheers
Old 20th May 2005, 23:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Really sad to hear about your experience but i would still reccomend FIAT cars but never ever through Fortpoint.
Their Lancer guys are good but the Fiat/GM guys just suck.
Old 13th June 2009, 09:09   #14

Rishi,

I own a petra 1.9d ELX... I am in need of the workshop manual... Could you please let me know how to get it... I have tried at the ifat service center but it seems they are not willing to share the manual of this dinousoure...

Thanks
Sambit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks