Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2005, 13:11   #1
BHPian

90k kms of the Fiat Uno

I have been wanting to write this report for almost three months now. Finally decided to do it today.

The uno has clocked 88k odd as of today. Its 4 years old. It was the top of the line diesel model with power steering. After driving one without power steering for a year and a half i decided mine should definitely have power steering. Well here is the review

The Decision:

When the first uno - a white color one with black bumpers came in no one in our family touched it. The car was parked in the shed for a week. Then one day i had to go for the tuitions and my tata estate was acting up. So i decided to give the uno a try. Got in the car was greeted by dull interiors and was totally un interesting.

Anyhow got the car moving and it felt good. The engine was torquey and pretty easy to drive on the move. The ride quality was amazing for a small car. It soaked up the bumps and felt as if i was riding a bigger car. The there was the fuel efficiency. Just amazing. Period. 15-17kmpl in town. But driving the car in the traffic was a royal pain due to the lack of PS.

So finally when the decision came to buying a car for me, there was no contest at all. The matiz was already stopped by then. I could not digest the santro's looks then. Since I was driving Marutis till then didnt want to go for one again.

Design, style and build:

Well its a 80's design and looks terribly outdated today. The car is all straight lines and compared to the matiz or the santro which were the other contenders when i got the uno. But outdated does not mean BAD. I really mean it. It is one of the best designed small cars even today. Aesthetics takes a step back for total utility. The dash can hold all sorts ok knick knacks on the top. No fancy curves like in the palio which makes the dash purely aesthetic here.

The build quality is amazing. A car with a 25 year old design after 5 years of use (2 of which were for the company) has no rattles or squeaks! Now that is some build quality.

To be frank i do like the way the car looks. Especially from 3 quarters angle. But maybe this has to do with living with the car for the past 6 years.

Suspension, Handling Brakes and Engine:

As i said earlier the suspension on this car would put many a mid size car to shame. The ride quality is very good without having that wallow feel. The 80 profile ratio helps with this too.

It best not to say anything about the handling. One word - Awful. The car understeers like a brick. I could probably turn the steering fully and take a gradual turn at 80kmph. The car just refuses to turn in. But cant complain either. It has got 145 (or is it 155?) section tyres. And with that diesel engine up front, the car cant help but understeer. Maybe with a 14" alloy and bigger section tyres the handling would improve.

Same story with the brakes too. Let down by the tyres start locking pretty easily. But maybe that should improve when i go in for wider tyres sometime later this year.

The engine is pretty good for a diesel. The in gear acceleration is great. The FE now is around 15kmpl. This is partly because of the worn out clutches i guess. Once i get the clutch changed things should change for the better.

Living with it:

The car has been trouble free even after being thrashed at the office for two years. No major problems so far. Only routine checks and changes. As i have said earlier no rattles or squeaks.

The car is more comfortable than the zen and the esteem i guess. Infact i have spent a night in the back seat sleeping after being stranded at a remote village for two days!

The car is great for driving in town especially in a blore. Its small and easy to drive. The AC is absolutely super cool. That combined with dark garware films on side windows keeps the interior cool even after parking it in the scorching blore sun.

The diesel is very very flexible. I can drive it inside town in 2nd or 3rd without any problems. a big relief after driving the OHC which can be frustrating at times. This one just pulls in any gear any rpm. Let me qualify that - i meant the car moves off even with the foot off the accelerator. This is a boon in traffic as i dont have to constantly rev the engine a bit and let in the clutch bla bla bla

Got a pretty good audio system in it. Pioneer 7xxx mp3, blau components up front, blau ovals at the back, blau amp and pioneer sub. The sub and amp are currently sitting at home. have to get that fixed sometime.

Conclusion:

I have total peace of mind with this car. No need to worry about anything absolutely reliable. I have done blore to coimbatore in 5.5 hours a couple of times. Been to ooty a lot of times. Once to Munnar with 7 in the car. Yup 7 in the car. Jolly old college days.

The car starts at the first crank. Does not groan or resist. Does what i ask it do. touchwood. More importantly, i can wade through the puddles that form after rains in blore without giving a damm. Just wade through knowing that as long as i keep the momentum, the car can pull through. I would never do that in a petrol car for fear of stalling the car.

So would i recommend the car to someone? Yes i would if you dont care much about looks (again subjective) and want a trouble free comfortable car.
Harrie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2005, 13:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice report, Harrie! 88K in 4 years is good number Now, how about some pictures as well?

I have two friends who own(ed) Uno. One sold off his Petrol Uno and bought a Palio. He thinks that Palio had very less niggling issues than Uno. Other guy is still running his diesel Uno and it is still going quite strong.
Old 24th May 2005, 13:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice report Harrie. What about the body work? Paint, dents etc? One of my colleagues was raving about the Uno she owns. And what about your highway F.E.?
Old 24th May 2005, 13:44   #4
BHPian

Highway FE is around 20 now. Was a bit higher earlier. The body has got a few dents. Need to paint it up. BTW the car is metallic silver.

I also have to put in alloys and wider rubbers for it. That is one reason why i didnt put up any pictures

The wheels are pretty sad looking now. Hope to get a five spoke one soon.
Old 24th May 2005, 14:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Harrie. One virtue I like about the Uno is that it has a big boot for a car its size. My aunt owned an Uno diesel similar to yours and I quite liked the car . Pretty comfy behind , chilled air con and good ride quality. Its one of those cars which can take the abuse you throw at it.

Waiting for the pics

Dippy
Old 24th May 2005, 14:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good review harrie. infact when i was looking for a car i had decided on the UNO diesel .....but i just happened to sit in a santro parked next to it ...and was literally shocked at the difference inside by just looking at the dash. and i went with the santro.......

yeah the ride quality is really very good - better than the palio i would dare say ! but the dash in the palio which is curvy and without storgae places is much safer....

88k in 4 years - and the car still going strong...just proves u take of ur babies ....keep it up dude !

cheers
Old 24th May 2005, 14:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend bought a second hand FIAT UNO diesel. He clocked 40K kms, which had already registered 50 K on the odometer. It touches 120 on the highways. Last week the vehicle break down, mechanics who inspected the vehicle, advised him to sell of the vehicle as the complete treatment would take the price to 25K. It was immediately sold (sorry for the buyer. inspite of mechanic inspection the problem could not be zeroed in)

I had been in the front seats for long drive, it is a very comfortable car.
Old 24th May 2005, 14:46   #8
BHPian

sorry to get off topic but how much would a UNO with power stering cost in Bangalore...
Old 24th May 2005, 14:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar
sorry to get off topic but how much would a UNO with power stering cost in Bangalore...
It depends on MFG year, model, varient
Old 24th June 2005, 09:21   #10
BHPian

Some more updates

Engine Swap - This was something i was seriously considering as the current engine is really showing its age. I tried real hard to cough up some cash. But no matter how hard i tried, my balance just would not go up So scrapped this idea for the time being. Waiting for some reserves to build up and i am definitely going in for the change.

Music System - I was driving around with just the mp3 player 4 speakers set up for some time now. Finaly got bored with it and decided to add a sub. I had one at home in coimbatore that i was planning to put in the palio. Since the palio is now officially taken over by my bro' I decided to put that pioneer FA sub with a blau amp in the uno.

Spent a evening checking out the installers nearby. Finally i was so appalled by them (one guy says - FA sub should be put only in tube box!) I decided to go ahead and do the install myself. I got the plank with pre cut holes in them from a nearby shop. I asked the guy to drill the holes for the speakers and sub too. He being such a noble sould went a step further and offered to connect the amp also. I said sure what the heck. I came back and after trying for 30min to tune the sub, i just couldnt get it right.

Then went fire fighting and finally found that the amp was not bridged properly! So much for the installer claiming to have done this install in that car bla bla

Finally finished the install by 11.00 PM myself. The sound is good now. But only hip hop sounds that good. Maybe something to do with the frequency response I guess.

Misc. -
I still have not decided where to go from here. Might mod this car or take the OHC. Not sure though. GTX is a bit doubtful as my bro is spending some cash on it. The car looks stunning now with a new color matched pseudo leather seat covers and a body kit. Next in line in a new HU - probably a audio-video system.

I am not allowed to post pics of the GTX till its all done up Will keep you guys updated regarding this.

In the meanwhile, if some one is interested in donating me a GTX engine or a uno petrol engine, you are most welcome!
Old 24th June 2005, 11:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Harrie... Inspires me to retain my Palio D for another 6-7 years (12000KMS in 10 months)
Old 26th June 2005, 20:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Buddy,
Whenever i read this thread i am like Hell it is the best FIAT car review ever written.
It is really inspiring.
But,
How about some pics and maybe you can ask one of the banglore boys for an engine.
Maybe an City or Baleno engine ( ? ).
Anyways,
waiting for pics.
How about putting better tyres?
Old 27th June 2005, 11:13   #13
BHPian

harrie..

have seen this UNO on our roads here often. Its painted bright yellow (The S10 yellow). I think tyres have been upgraded. Interior seats done up, nothing flashy though.

Its looks so simple, clean and uncluttered. just something to consider if you are planning a makeover.
Old 11th February 2006, 11:56   #14
BHPian

well just sold my fiat uno deisel(p.s) a very good car but pathetic after sales(mumbai) always some probs would crop after service and very difficult to get spare parts
Old 11th February 2006, 12:09   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
[b]
Finally finished the install by 11.00 PM myself. The sound is good now. But only hip hop sounds that good. Maybe something to do with the frequency response I guess.
Box volume might be too small. what sub are you using in what box volume.

i'd ask the pros over on the ICE forum for ideas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks