Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2009, 12:40   #1
BHPian

My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6

Hello Team Members,

I have a 2004 model Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6. I bought this car used when in 2007 when it had 50,000 miles on it. It was a one owner car and he kept it pretty well maintained. I have driven it for about 20,000 miles and so far the experience has been just mind blowing. Especially because before going to USA I had never got a chance to drive a car more than 1200cc.

I have recently upgraded the air intake system but unfortunately haven't taken updated pics yet. The car had standard CD player so I changed it to Pioneer AVIC-D3 system with DVD and In-Built Navigation system for 1100 dollars. I also changed the factory speakers to pioneer speakers for both the doors and at the back. Along with this I also changed the standard headlights to the ring setup unit as you can see in the pics. Sorry I am not sure what is the exact name used for such lights. Something like Angel Eye setup

And finally I got 6000K HID's installed. These are the few modifications I have done to the car so far. The car's got a 3.0L V6 Engine producing 200 BHP. It's got automatic transmission with the manual setup. Here are some of the pics. Hope fellow members will like them. The kmpl is not that great but petrol being cheaper in USA, it doesn't pinch that much. I just wish I have enough dough some day to import such a car to India.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6-2.jpg  

My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6-3.jpg  

My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6-4.jpg  

My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6-6.jpg  

My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6-7.jpg  

My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6-8.jpg  

My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6-11.jpg  

My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6-13.jpg  

My Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6-14.jpg  

Old 7th May 2009, 15:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey, nice clean car Somu! This was my favourite car to drive on Gran Turismo on the original Playstation back in 1997..lol

A few Qs:

Whats the performance of the Auto Gbox like?

How much did you pay for it?

Whats with the "Sahu" on the rear numberplate?
Old 7th May 2009, 17:14   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Hey, nice clean car Somu! This was my favourite car to drive on Gran Turismo on the original Playstation back in 1997..lol

A few Qs:

Whats the performance of the Auto Gbox like?

How much did you pay for it?

Whats with the "Sahu" on the rear numberplate?
Thanks Deeps, even I love the car. I just wish I could get it to India.

Performance of such an auto box is good but not as good as a completely manual car. Its just good for people like me who want the comfort of not having a clutch, and who still wanna have the feel of driving a manual car.

When I bought it in 2007 I paid 11,000 dollars for the car.

In USA you can have any number personalized plate you want as long as its within the 6 character limit and as long as no one has that plate in the same state. I wanted to get SOMU but someone already had it so I chose to get SAHU instead, which happens to be my last name
Old 7th May 2009, 17:28   #4
BHPian

Very nice and very well kept. Congrats.
Old 7th May 2009, 17:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Very nice and very well kept. Congrats.
Thank you. Even I loved your lancer, specially the alloy wheels and dashboard. great job.
Old 7th May 2009, 18:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice bit of trivia on the numberplate part. I was wondering how a name could be a registration "number".

how long will it be till we can get something like this for 5.5L here in India? Hopefully my kids will be able to.

A request: Can you post a pic of the intsrument cluster lit up at night?

Last edited by Deeps : 7th May 2009 at 18:01.
Old 7th May 2009, 18:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Somu!
Awesome ride and very well-maintained to say the least....it looks like it's just out of the factory. Keep up the good work.
Regards
Old 7th May 2009, 18:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
how long will it be till we can get something like this for 5.5L here in India?
First dream about getting this car here. Then, we'll think about the 5.5 lakhs.

Last edited by nitrous : 7th May 2009 at 18:33.
Old 7th May 2009, 18:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Welcome to the forum Somu!
Awesome ride and very well-maintained to say the least....it looks like it's just out of the factory. Keep up the good work.
Regards
Thanks, I try n keep my cars clean as much as possible. You can even check my accent when I make a thread for the same. Its 9 months old but still looks as good as new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
how long will it be till we can get something like this for 5.5L here in India? Hopefully my kids will be able to.

A request: Can you post a pic of the intsrument cluster lit up at night?
I wish the same, either that will happen or I will have to send my kids to USA to get that kind of a car for this much money . Actually used cars are very cheap in USA. My roommate bought a Mercedes Benz E320 Petrol around the same time, which is a 2004 model and it had only 24000 miles and he got it for only 22000 dollars. If you looks at the car its even more clean than my car. It looks almost as good as new.

I don't have any night shots of my car's instrument cluster but I will click some and upload soon.
Old 8th May 2009, 16:15   #10
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somu2009 View Post
Thanks Deeps, even I love the car. I just wish I could get it to India.

Performance of such an auto box is good but not as good as a completely manual car. Its just good for people like me who want the comfort of not having a clutch, and who still wanna have the feel of driving a manual car.

When I bought it in 2007 I paid 11,000 dollars for the car.

In USA you can have any number personalized plate you want as long as its within the 6 character limit and as long as no one has that plate in the same state. I wanted to get SOMU but someone already had it so I chose to get SAHU instead, which happens to be my last name

Good Price but I still think you could have gotten a better deal out of the 2004. I thik its coz of the Nav. Did they transfer you the subcription aswell? By the way I liked this eclipse more than the new one coz the new one looks like a eclipse with chicken pox. I love the fact of personlized plates... i once had Mafia77 on mine.. lol

Old 8th May 2009, 17:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
Good Price but I still think you could have gotten a better deal out of the 2004. I thik its coz of the Nav. Did they transfer you the subcription aswell? By the way I liked this eclipse more than the new one coz the new one looks like a eclipse with chicken pox. I love the fact of personlized plates... i once had Mafia77 on mine.. lol
Ya even I think I could have gotten a better deal but its just that the car was so well maintained that I didn't wanna let it go.

About the NAV, I got it installed after buying the car like I mentioned in the description of the car. I got it done from circuit city. This system is a Pioneer AVIC-D3 which does not need subscription since it's a DVD based NAV system. I got two DVD's with it, one which had maps of all the states starting from A-M and the second had from N-Z. So I just use the DVD's to get my route. It is kind of annoying especially when you want to use some other media DVD. As a solution what I did was that I copied all my audio and video files to my ipod and the AVIC-D3 used to play it all as it had direct iPod control.

Frankly, even I don't like the new eclipse.. looks too bulky and round. But hey, thats just my taste. No offence to anyone who likes the current eclipse. It's just that I would prefer my car's design over the current one any day. But engine wise the new model is much more powerful, specially the GT model. Mine is a 3.0L V6 churning out 200 BHP and the new one i think is a 3.8L V6 delivering 265 BHP.

Mafia 77 (nice choice), I once saw a Nissan 350Z with plates that said Zexy..
Old 8th May 2009, 17:42   #12
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somu2009 View Post
Ya even I think I could have gotten a better deal but its just that the car was so well maintained that I didn't wanna let it go.

About the NAV, I got it installed after buying the car like I mentioned in the description of the car. I got it done from circuit city. This system is a Pioneer AVIC-D3 which does not need subscription since it's a DVD based NAV system. I got two DVD's with it, one which had maps of all the states starting from A-M and the second had from N-Z. So I just use the DVD's to get my route. It is kind of annoying especially when you want to use some other media DVD. As a solution what I did was that I copied all my audio and video files to my ipod and the AVIC-D3 used to play it all as it had direct iPod control.

Frankly, even I don't like the new eclipse.. looks too bulky and round. But hey, thats just my taste. No offence to anyone who likes the current eclipse. It's just that I would prefer my car's design over the current one any day. But engine wise the new model is much more powerful, specially the GT model. Mine is a 3.0L V6 churning out 200 BHP and the new one i think is a 3.8L V6 delivering 265 BHP.

Mafia 77 (nice choice), I once saw a Nissan 350Z with plates that said Zexy..
LOl agree with you.. Hey is that the Pioneer system which gives you that funny vibration or say zizzle when you touch the screen?? I once wanted to install that but ran out of cash was around 2k ish.. i am not a big fan of the dvd based ones but only coz it has a in dash rather than the dumb garmin that i used.. it would have been nice if we could import these cars in india without the duty ... I would have had moved to India long before than i actually did

Old 8th May 2009, 17:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thats one sexy car. Could have used Biege interiors though.
Old 8th May 2009, 18:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Very well maintained Mistu...for a Mitsu aficianado like me..its a treat to eyes.
Old 8th May 2009, 19:14   #15
BHPian

Nice car you have there. I like the clean engine bay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks