Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2005, 14:12   #1
BHPian

Santro Xing XG

Okay after going through a massive mind turmoil between a Zen and a Santro, I picked the latter on last date of previous financial year (not so much to save taxes but to collect massive discounts on offer that day ;-). For the first time in my life, my heart gave way to my head and i decided to pick a modern, spacious, practical no-nonsense car, rather than a cramped, dated but racy Zen. Anyway, this is my own first car.

1. The car has done 2053 kms by now (in almost 2 months), largely trouble free. On the second day after delivery, I went to Mathura, about 150 km from Delhi. Drove the car at constant speeds of 80-85 nudging 90+ for short bursts, and then came home and read the owners manual in detail which says no driving above 70 kmph for first 800 kms. Felt stupid ;-)

2. Having rode an RD350 earlier, I am not so excited about performance part, especially with the ac on. A Hyundai exec told me the difference in performance would be in ratio 20/19, for non-ac/ac driving, but i find the difference rather 20/16. Without AC the car surely runs like a scalded dog and feels awesome. I think i should time the 0-60 runs and post them here sometime soon.

3. One peculiar thing I am noticing is the huge engine breaking, particularly in third gear, in a narrow RPM-band. It is far perceptible with the ac on, when if I take the car to 40 in third gear and take foot off acc., after a few seconds it seems car hits an imaginary wall and speed comes crashing down. Maybe I am exaggerating a little, but the force is certainly enough to pull me forward from my seatback. I donno if it is normal, regular thing.

4. I have got Pioneer 4750 HU with Pioneer 6991 speakers housed in a tower box in the rear, and Sony 1021 4-inch fronts. The sound is reasonably good, but it's not exactly crystal clear. I'll try MDF board and two custom boxes for rear to see if it improves the sound. But these 6991s produce awesome bass for sure!

5. I had always found Santro seats rigid and inflexible, but surprisingly even at long rides, the back (mine, not seat's) stays firm and not much fatigue. Rear passengers (few and far between) say the leg space is fairly decent (this with a 6-feet passenger in front). Of course, the rear suspension has earned it's name right.

6. Build quality is simply superb. This is the only small car that can actually compete with the likes of Palios and Swifts for build quality. The quality of plastic is far better than Indica, and even seat upholstery is top-notch for a B-segment car.

7. I have started gaining confidence for cornering at high-speeds, still I find a corner-at-60kmph slightly exhilirating.

8. Finally, I have got 14 kmpl mileage from day 1.
Old 2nd June 2005, 18:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

i was using my friend's santro xs for few days and found the driving position not very inspireing ...and it was almost like i had no space to move my left leg cos it kept on hiting the centre console...and never felt comfortable at 80 kmph + speeds...didnt much like revving the engine...the plastics used in the interiors were good indeed.
cheers
Old 2nd June 2005, 18:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

[quote=greenh0rn
8. Finally, I have got 14 kmpl mileage from day 1. [/QUOTE]

Hey, two of my friends are getting mileage of only 10-11 in their Santro's. Both of them drive good & maintain the speed at constant levels.

You are lucky that your vehicle gives 14kmpl ( with a/c, hope Iam right)
Old 2nd June 2005, 19:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey greenh0rn congratulations on your car

Quote:
and then came home and read the owners manual in detail which says no driving above 70 kmph for first 800 kms. Felt stupid ;-)
dude you should always read the manual first
whats the first thing to do after you bring car home?
seat with family & read manual together tell all family members whatever is written in manual. (especially women)

anyways do take a good care of your car it will give you less trouble few years down the line.

i had once driven friends Santro Xing XP(i guess) felt nice in city but personally disliked it, would take Matiz anyday over it (not driven new Zen so can not comment on that)
Old 27th December 2005, 12:12   #5
BHPian

Dude!

I'm facing just the same problem that you are talking about. need to know from all you technically sound guys if there is any logical reason to this as far as this car is concerned???

3. One peculiar thing I am noticing is the huge engine breaking, particularly in third gear, in a narrow RPM-band. It is far perceptible with the ac on, when if I take the car to 40 in third gear and take foot off acc., after a few seconds it seems car hits an imaginary wall and speed comes crashing down. Maybe I am exaggerating a little, but the force is certainly enough to pull me forward from my seatback. I donno if it is normal, regular thing.
Old 27th December 2005, 15:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot
i was using my friend's santro xs for few days and found the driving position not very inspireing ...and it was almost like i had no space to move my left leg cos it kept on hiting the centre console...and never felt comfortable at 80 kmph + speeds...didnt much like revving the engine...the plastics used in the interiors were good indeed.
cheers
emm, bad that they stopped XS version. I had to get the XG :(

Yah I too have the problem with hitting the centre console's cigrattee lighter. I guess it happens coz you use teh dead pedal. One advantage and oen disadvantage.

I drive at 110-115kmph most of the time. Nice brakes nah?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks