Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2009, 20:23   #1
BHPian

ikon - the josh just fizzed off

Hi all, this is my first post here. have been active on the website for quite sometime. Quite an informative website. Kudos to the chaps who keep this running...

Coming back to my post - i own a ikon flair tht has done about 35k.This incident happened coupe of months ago when we had gone to Arcot(100kms from chennai) for a friends engagement. After crossing 95 kms the vehicle suddenly stopped. i slowed down and moved to the service lane. Got out opened the bonnet and checked the engine bay and found that the coolant had leaked from a small hole in the coolant pipe near the radiator. The time was around 5.30 pm.

After pondering for some time called up Ford service at chennai(Chennai Ford) and told them the problem. After a couple of minutes i got a call from Gurgaon, it was their call centre. They told me that they have started a new service called Mondial. It is an road side assistance service exclusive for ford owners. They told me to take a one year subscription for Rs1100/. Else the towing charges would be Rs1500/. I agreed to that. He then called me again at 6:15 and told that the tow vehicle is on its way and will reach in 2hrs and 30 mins.

I was expecting an old battered nissan truck with a winch cable. But at around 9:30 the vehicle came. surprise
ikon - the josh just fizzed off-image025.jpg

Three ppl got down and came and checked the car. They then offered water and soft tissues. The car was then loaded onto the truck. I was told to sit in the truck cabin. It was another surprise- neat bucket seats with a/c. Had a comfortable ride back to the service centre. The vehicle was dropped at the service centre. It was 1:00 by then. They then got me a cab. Till now everything went on fine. I was quite a happy man on the treatment meted out to me.

ikon - the josh just fizzed off-image031.jpg

The next day I went out to the service centre to check on the damage. Was expecting around 4k for the replacement of the coolant hose. The service manager checked the vehicle and said that the hose has to be replaced and would come around 3500. Accepted the terms and gave the vehicle for reair. During noon got a call from the service engineer saying that there was some more problem and told me to come to the service centre.

Following are the part that they said have to be changed.

Camshaft 1 no 9500/

Thermostat assembly 8 nos (2 for each cylinder) 7500/

Coolant hose 1 no 1800/

Battery 1 no 2500/

The service manager said that the camshaft has bend due to the heat and he insisted on changing it. Is it true or has he taken me for a ride. didnt have an option but to carry out the necessary repairs.

The total bill amounted to Rs.28211/ inclusive of labour.
Although they had done a good job the cost is quite high. I still think that the camshaft should not have been changed.
Attached Thumbnails
ikon - the josh just fizzed off-image027.jpg  

ikon - the josh just fizzed off-image028.jpg  

ikon - the josh just fizzed off-image029.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th May 2009 at 20:29. Reason: Formatting tags removed.
Old 30th May 2009, 20:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

There is only one thermostat for the whole engine not 8.

I cannot fathom how a cam can bend. Worst case your cam journal bearings would have spun and need replacement. Ask them for the old parts and post the picture here.

Your numbers still do not add up to 28K. Also Battery is in no way connected to all this.
Old 30th May 2009, 21:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
There is only one thermostat for the whole engine not 8.

I cannot fathom how a cam can bend. Worst case your cam journal bearings would have spun and need replacement. Ask them for the old parts and post the picture here.

Your numbers still do not add up to 28K. Also Battery is in no way connected to all this.

not very sure of the thermostat thing, there were two similar looking things for each cylinder, which totalled to 8. also the battery was in the fag end of its life.

They have given me the parts also. will take pics and post it.
Old 30th May 2009, 22:16   #4
BHPian

28K for a vehicle that has just done 35K? It's day light robbery. Why did you accept all that? Can't you go to a different service center?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks