Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 21:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

very good car, but pls post the latest pics, as the pics are old and gives the feel as if its in brand new condition.
Old 12th December 2008, 09:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

If those are recent pics of the car, Guna seems to have maintained it quite well. That it has done those many kms doesnt show.
Old 12th December 2008, 13:44   #18
BHPian

Not old pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj3300 View Post
Well maintained car,does it have the same Fiesta motor.
Yes on both counts.

Actually, if I am not wrong, this was only the second Ford model in India to feature the "DuraTec" series of engines (the first being the Mondeo). It had this engine, well before the launch of the Fiesta (which came later). The engine on the Ikon 1.6 was the "ROCAM" one.

Of course the Diesel DuraTorq TDCi featured first on the Fiesta and then was transplanted into the Fusion Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
very good car, but pls post the latest pics, as the pics are old and gives the feel as if its in brand new condition.
Read below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
If those are recent pics of the car, Guna seems to have maintained it quite well. That it has done those many kms doesnt show.
You are right benbsb29! They are recent pics of the car. Taken for the classified advert itself. If you check the EXIF information of those snaps, you will see that they have been clicked on 16-Sep-2008, a day after the ad was initally posted (on 15-Sep-2008) when a request for pics came in. Yes it has been almost 3 months since then, but the car hasn't changed much since, except some 800 km added to the odometer. Externally and internally it is still virtually the same.

@rkbharat, those pics are not too old. It still is in the same condition and does look brand new at first glance. But if you notice closely you will see some scratches (very minor) attributable to the unruly Bangalore traffic. But the biggest give away of the age is the scratches on the alloy wheel rims and tyre wear!

And yes, my planned photo and driving session last night didn't happen. Ran out of time and was too tired. Hopefully tonight!

Last edited by Glifford : 12th December 2008 at 13:46.
Old 16th December 2008, 14:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Thanks Vinit, crn12, JVH, ShantyRocks and Rudrah!

Actually I have permission for that too. But I thought of not sharing :P

May do it tomorrow with the new pics.
Hey Glifford congrats....having read the whole thread it would be really helpful for buyers like me to know the value of this beast...if you can share the rates...
Old 16th December 2008, 17:42   #20
BHPian

More pics (now clicked by me), price paid & driving experience!

Quote:
You are right benbsb29! They are recent pics of the car. <snip>
Yes it has been almost 3 months since then, but the car hasn't changed much since, except some 800 km added to the odometer. Externally and internally it is still virtually the same.

@rkbharat, those pics are not too old. It still is in the same condition and does look brand new at first glance. But if you notice closely you will see some scratches (very minor) attributable to the unruly Bangalore traffic. But the biggest give away of the age is the scratches on the alloy wheel rims and tyre wear!

And yes, my planned photo and driving session last night didn't happen. Ran out of time and was too tired. Hopefully tonight!
Finally did! Here are some pics of the car:

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-p1090341.jpg
Rear left in the Sun

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-p1090342.jpg
Front left in the shade.

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-p1090343.jpg
Front right in the shade.

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-p1090344.jpg
Posing with a Dog.

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-p1090345.jpg
The hatch yawns open.

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-p1090346.jpg
Inside the boot. First aid kit on the left, safety triangle on the right. Baggage net in place as well.

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-p1090352.jpg
Bonnet yawns open!

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-p1090353.jpg
DuraTEC 1.6l, 16V, 101 BHP, 146 N-m

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-p1090355.jpg
Front seats with Ford logo on Art Leather. Genuine leather is below that, perforated.

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-p1090358.jpg
Rear seats

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-p1090359.jpg
Rear footwell

Ownership Report - (Used) Ford Fusion + (Dec 2005, 42,500 km)-p1090360.jpg
Rear parcel tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherlover View Post
Hey Glifford congrats....having read the whole thread it would be really helpful for buyers like me to know the value of this beast...if you can share the rates...
Thanks! I finally give in. Sorry for the delay, was busy with work and hadn't taken the car out. We paid Rs.3,45,000 for it. But then again, insurance expires on Sunday so need to shell out to renew it and tyres would need replacement soon too (upsize time?).

Have driven a couple of times now. The first time was late Friday night, past 12:30. Waited till the traffic died down (we live in a busy area). Was fun driving it around. Slowly and steadily though narrow lanes for practice. Loved the way it corners (tried it around Richard's Park), enough to send shrieks from my wife!

Finally managed to take her out in traffic on Sunday to get her blessed. Of course I was a little scared when taking it on traffic laden roads, but was easy and comfortable after we finally got on the road . Managing Sunday afternoon traffic was not too tough. Clicked the pics above during that ride. That aside, I was still panting 30 mins after we came back safe and sound.

Some colleagues suggest putting an 'L' board to warn other drivers (to keep their distance). But I have a permanent DL with LMV-NT endorsement for almost 12 years now! I feel like a sissy if I have to do this . What do you guys say?

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th December 2008 at 18:34. Reason: Only two smilies per post allowed
Old 16th December 2008, 18:00   #21
BHPian

Glifford: I dont know who this guy Guna is!! if he is still around and has plans to sell any of his cars (If he has..) pls let me know, I would dive in for his maintenance job & the care taken..

Personally without going to much details, I *feel*its a steal.

Now to do with your driving, till you gain the confidence get the "L" board sign, I guess there is no harm in doing it, as you mentioned you live in a busy area its better to have that.

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 16th December 2008, 18:12   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some colleagues suggest putting an 'L' board to warn other drivers (to keep their distance). But I have a permanent DL with LMV-NT endorsement for almost 12 years now! I feel like a sissy if I have to do this . What do you guys say?

Congrats on a fabulous car.
Looks awesome and at a great price.

I have an L board on my car in spite of having a DL that is almost 10 years old.
The sticker was put up when my wife started learning to drive.

You can say the same. That the sticker is for someone else who is learning to drive.

I find it to be fun.
Esp when some people take it for granted and try and cut you off in traffic assuming you are a newbie driver.
Old 18th December 2008, 18:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
Glifford: I dont know who this guy Guna is!! if he is still around and has plans to sell any of his cars (If he has..) pls let me know, I would dive in for his maintenance job & the care taken..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Congrats on a fabulous car.
Thanks! Happened to speak to Guna yesterday and conveyed these thoughts to him. He's an active member here and that's his user ID too.

@CRN Well I am not sure he would sell his car anytime soon. The reason he sold this Fusion+ was because he managed to secure one of his "Dream" (or atleast all-time-favourite) cars. The Chevy (or should I say Subaru?) Forester! Again it's in immaculate condition, maintained (and done up after purchase) well and looks lovely in black!

I did request him to have a peek into that car as well. The interiors and the oh-so-legendary Boxer engine! Lovely car! It sure has gone into safe hands! I hope I can say the same about the Fusion. Let's see!

Quote:
Personally without going to much details, I *feel*its a steal.
Quote:
Looks awesome and at a great price.
Well, the price was a mutually acceptable one. Was a big stretch (both financially and emotionally) from what we had planned to allocate for a used Palio 1.6. But we were willing to pay a premium for a good car.

Reminds me when one used car dealer saw my net classified advert and called me. I told him "Palio 1.6 only or Ford Fusion". Read experience here. He would ask, what is your budget? Well I said "It depends on the car!". He was like "What? How can that be?". Although I didn't tell him, but the fact was, it was! How can I pay as much as I did here for a 2002 used Palio done 70,000+ and falling apart? At the same time I was willing to pay a premium for a well maintained, loved car. Of course I had a limit I could stretch to, and if I told him (the dealer) that, every car he would show me would be at that price.

Back to this Fusion. I liked the car and paid a premium over what most friends asked me to quote (they consider me mad for doing that and not backing out or reducing the quote when the Fusion discontinuation news came out). I feel the car is definitely worth that!

And now the first post purchase shock came in! Paid a huge sum for insurance renewal already (due to expire on Sunday)!

Quote:
Now to do with your driving, till you gain the confidence get the "L" board sign, I guess there is no harm in doing it, as you mentioned you live in a busy area its better to have that.
Quote:
I have an L board on my car in spite of having a DL that is almost 10 years old.
The sticker was put up when my wife started learning to drive.

You can say the same. That the sticker is for someone else who is learning to drive.

I find it to be fun.
Esp when some people take it for granted and try and cut you off in traffic assuming you are a newbie driver.
I may do the same! Actually once the cops caught me for driving a scooter with an L board. Asked me why have an L board when I have a permanent licence. I said my Wife uses it to learn as she has a Learning Licence. At first they tried to show I was breaking the law by fooling people. Finally they left me. I guess it was a dry day for them

Anyway may consider it once I return from my short vacation!

Last edited by Glifford : 18th December 2008 at 18:50.
Old 18th December 2008, 20:31   #24
BHPian

Congrats Gillford on your buy!!!!
I am glad you settled in for a good car.

As you put more miles and smiles in your car.. you would see the little L board slipping off.

PS: I did sell my Palio off for a good deal
Old 18th December 2008, 20:50   #25
Team-BHP Support

oh come one man. dont be so modest.
You have a fabulous car and in my honest opinion the price is perfect.

Looking forward to a lot of travel articles in the Chalega Car.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:17   #26
BHPian

First Mileage Report and other experiences!

Ok Guys!

It's been a quite a while since I posted on this thread.

Got the first mileage calculated a couple of weeks back, but I was too busy to post it. (for those who don't wanna read history, I'm talking of the used Dec' 2005 FF+ (Petrol) done 42,000 odd km which we picked up in early Dec' 2008). Barely driven it (some 750 km in 3.25 months). Initially used it even less since we were on vacation and later I was waiting for first the NOC from the old financer, then the formal transfer of registration (did it myself with no middleman, cost just 225 but took some 16+ days and 4 visits to two RTOs) and finally insurance transfer (which took another couple of weeks, plus I had to pitch in a big some for transfer).

Now I use it to get to work once a week (as I find driving daily to work inefficient in time, fuel and money, and I feel guilty for blocking the roads and polluting them even more) and on weekends a little. Haven't ventured on any long trips (if you don't count two trips to BIAL) as yet. Need to do them soon! Only if time would permit.

Anyway here it is. Using the tankful to tankful approach on Shell Super, we managed to achieve 10.64 kmpl!

Now that's in pure city, bumper to bumper traffic. 95% AC usage (blower normally at 1 and thermostat near the centre but on the blue side, else it gets way too cold) and less than 1% 5th gear usage. Never exceeding 80 kmph as well.

Also considering that I am a new driver and tend to stay in a gear longer up the rev range (since I fear I may have to downshift again) and also don't tend to put off the engine at signals/jams for fear of not being able to get out again. These two things have been improving since. I used to upshift above 2500 RPM earlier, now I do it around 2100 ish.

But at the same time I have never pushed her hard or braked hard too. My driving has been very defensive! Once I get more comfortable with the traffic, I fear, may begin driving her the way it is meant to.

So am I impressed? YES! Of course! I was expecting figures around 9 and this is surely a 15%+ bonus. Earlier owner claimed 8-9 in city and this is a 20% bonus.

Will take her out of town soon and then see how she sips when she gets to stretch her legs in 5th!

The ownership has been pretty good too (just 750 km added). Have got spoiled by the features and specifications. Just can't beat the confidence in trackling roads or no roads the ground clearance gives you. Even the stance (due to the track) is amazing. Cornering is a bliss and more fun when done hard. The steering feel is lovely and the feeback excellent! You can feel the road below! Yes it is a little hard (as compared to others, even the Scorpio, but it has an excellent feel and keeps you in control). After the initial "getting used to" it is a breeze to flip around with just two fingers. The leather covered stock steering with those thumb rests give it a sweet spot to hold and turn!

Things I complained about earlier (when considering the Palio as well) have become bonuses. Like lack of a dead pedal and cramped driver footwell. I find it nice to rest the tired knee against the centre console now! No dead pedal needed as such. Yes the clutch is a bit hard but again has a nice feel. Takes getting used to and can lead to stalls when new in crazy traffic. The turning radius is great too.

Then there are just a couple of things I miss had I got the palio. One is zero blower AC setting (which provides optimal cooling with just the AC button switched on and the blower still at Zero). The other is the three stage opening doors! I guess they are two stage in Fusion or something.

Among all the gadgetry this car has (for its price and vintage). There is still some craving for more. Like a beeper when the parking brake is on (have tried to move... and moved, more than once with it engaged). And a light under the hood. It's dark in my basement parking and I need to use a torch. Also a clock in the centre of the dash (there's one on the speedo), but the stereo does the job. Everything else has been pleasurable.

Yes it's a front wheel drive and it shows. Enthusiastic standing starts up up hill climbs and speed breakers tend to cause front wheel spins and a loud tyre squeal (yes the tyres are near end of life too). Have been used to RWDs in my early driving days and this one is different.

Now the only fear I have is the first service bill when I take her early next month.

Wonder where to go! Metro or Lathangi? Does Cauvery (A.K.A. Magnum Honda) still service Fords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
Congrats Gillford on your buy!!!!
I am glad you settled in for a good car.

As you put more miles and smiles in your car.. you would see the little L board slipping off.

PS: I did sell my Palio off for a good deal
Thanks Raaj! You sure had a good Palio to sell, but my budget was not that big.

I didn't actually put an L-board! On vacation I drove Dad's car back home in the city to get a hang of it. Then a Scorpio somewhere else. Gave me the confidence and I could take her out when I was back.

Still Bangalore roads are pretty unforgiving and managed to getmyself stuck in a mess more than once (neither of them my mistakes, mainly crazy auto-rick drivers). I still remember my first commutes to office when I used to take the car. I would end up all sweaty and panting by the time I reached (inspite of the AC) (Don't start imagining things now , I am just talking of crazy, unruly, impatient traffic).

Quote:
oh come one man. dont be so modest.
You have a fabulous car and in my honest opinion the price is perfect.

Looking forward to a lot of travel articles in the Chalega Car.
Thanks bblost! It sure is a great car and very immaculately maintained and got it a good price.

Have still to put in some really long journeys. Scheduled one for May end tho'. Let's hope it works out. Meanwhile have done some joy rides to the airport and commuting in the city (mainly for me to get a hang and the confidence).

One of the first drives I did was to drop 5 adults of my extended family to the airport. So it was 6 of us with luggage and the car took it with ease! Was a fun drive in the wee hours of the morning!

Last edited by Glifford : 16th March 2009 at 15:22. Reason: Exceeded 2 smileys ;)
Old 8th April 2009, 11:49   #27
BHPian

Mileage update!

Quote:
Anyway here it is. Using the tankful to tankful approach on Shell Super, we managed to achieve 10.64 kmpl!

Now that's in pure city, bumper to bumper traffic. 95% AC usage (blower normally at 1 and thermostat near the centre but on the blue side, else it gets way too cold) and less than 1% 5th gear usage. Never exceeding 80 kmph as well.
Update! Similar usage. This time it returned 416.7 km on 39 litres of Shell Regular with Iftex System-G (that came with the car, cracked the bottle first time during that fill).

So that works out to 10.684 kmpl. Not bad I suppose.

This time I topped up on IOC Premium.

Seems like my kinda usage consumes about a tankful (40 litres odd out of the 45 capacity) every month.

Last edited by Glifford : 8th April 2009 at 11:50. Reason: Added space before kmpl
Old 26th April 2009, 13:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

glifford, though late but congrats on your buy, its surely a steal with such well maintained car from Guna, keep updating and ride safe.
Old 27th April 2009, 16:19   #29
BHPian

Just read through the whole 'thread' . I might have missed out your posts in the yahoo group.You sure got a good deal.
Me having completed 50K with my fusion just few days back, I can assure, you will have blast everytime you drive her! The car is just too good to own ;-).
Old 1st May 2009, 21:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Do keep us informed about the maintanance costs. I heard that the costs are high and some spares are difficult to get.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks