Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2010, 23:26   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This is the best option, but do get the underbody washed when you get the time, thats the most unseen and neglected area.
True; and just the place I focus on when the few times that I let them wash.

And, after the recent Kollur trip, the odo now stands at:

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-imag0201.jpg

The distance done in this trip alone was around 1150kms over a period of two days. Had brother family for company.

Went to Jog falls en-route to Kundapura and the road from there to Kundapura was one hell of a drive, that is, the famed NH17. As HVK put it, it is the worst section on that route and we just had to do it! The vehicle rocked and swayed as we went out some sections that were straight out the lunar surface!

The return from Kundapura to Bangalore was an adventure by itself. Firstly, did something that I am never fond of, start on the journey after 5pm, over a route that I have absolutely no idea of, and after a day of early morning temple visit and a late afternoon beach outing. Thanks to HVK for giving out the advice on the route to take, else was contemplating a drive down to Mangalore and from there to Bangalore!!!

And the next thing was the route itself - over Charmadi Ghats and again thru some more lunar surfaces! Currently full of respect to those people who live in those areas! They should be having a lot of patience.

Some rough drive with the windows half open has caused some new rattles to make their presence felt. Also managed to break off the cover for the cigarette lighter on the dash.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:31   #407
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Some rough drive with the windows half open has caused some new rattles to make their presence felt. Also managed to break off the cover for the cigarette lighter on the dash.
You also broke the left front door's AC vent. I m wondering, what is bad? Safari's plastic or your Yeti hands??

FE Figures Saar...
Old 13th September 2010, 12:19   #408
Senior - BHPian

^^ Mmm... Safari plastic? Darn thing couldn't handle the weight of a simple A4 sized notebook! Shucks!!!

FE - 12.2kmpl on tanking up somewhere near Batkal.
Old 27th September 2010, 10:47   #409
Senior - BHPian

After the heavy driving thru NH17 and then Kundapura to Bangalore, the vehicle has started giving few more squeezes. Driving on pathetic roads with the window down is a definite NO-NO! But then, when most of the traffic slows down for tackling a crater, and you drive as if you didnt see it, this is what happens. The only other kind who were doing this were the bus drivers.

But end of day, no complains from the family. So, good that the vehicle is doing its work.

And yesterday, ended up breaking the hub cap of the front left wheel. It scraped against another vehicle and fell down. Should have stopped immediately, but before I could do that, the cap was under the back wheel and in two pieces!
Old 30th September 2010, 17:18   #410
Senior - BHPian

Drove the vehicle to my parents place, where it will be for sometime as I am moving out of the country. Might also end up in Madurai, if my brother takes it there.

Here is the odo reading, after parking:

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-imag0206.jpg

Now, you might ask why the 4H is engaged.

Had plans to keep the 4WD disabled to reduce risk and disconnect the 4WD connector (present behind the switch). And this is what we ended up with on removing the connectors.

TATA's electronic's designer thought that the front lockers are to be engaged in baseline status. Meaning, if no power / signal provided to the 4WD system, it engages the front hubs!!! So, if your 4WD switch happens to get faulty, you will not be able to just remove it and drive to the service center!

Left the vehicle with the switches connected.

Apart from that, here are few photos of the interiors taken for sharing in the other thread. Had plans (for quite some time) to get larger mats with velcro to fix them properly. Guess, it will all have to wait.

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-102_6129.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-102_6132.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-102_6133.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-102_6134.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-102_6135.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-102_6136.jpg

Tata Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red | 98,000 km and counting | EDIT: Sold-102_6137.jpg
Old 30th September 2010, 17:59   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had plans to keep the 4WD disabled to reduce risk and disconnect the 4WD connector (present behind the switch). And this is what we ended up with on removing the connectors.

TATA's electronic's designer thought that the front lockers are to be engaged in baseline status. Meaning, if no power / signal provided to the 4WD system, it engages the front hubs!!! So, if your 4WD switch happens to get faulty, you will not be able to just remove it and drive to the service center!
Are you sure that the hub got locked on disconnection of the switch or was it just the indicator ?

Must have been very difficult for you to say goodbye (even if it is for not too long) to your red beauty. When are you leaving? Do give a call if you can and all the best on your new outing.
Regards,
Hari.
Old 30th September 2010, 18:36   #412
Senior - BHPian

^^ Luke,

Yes, the lockers were getting locked and not just the lights. You can hear the sound of them locking.

And yes, mighty difficult it was.

Will call over the next few days. Sunday is the D-day.
Old 30th September 2010, 19:19   #413
BANNED

I just noticed something. The same co driver who brought the Safari from the showroom was with you when you drove it to say a temporary bye to it. Any pics of him?? Did you enjoy his company?
Old 1st October 2010, 13:29   #414
BHPian

Happywheels, Good to see some traction on your thread. 23,000kms for 1 year over long drives and patchy roads. Paisa vasool.

My Bull ( cant stop saying its mine though its sold to a friend of mine) has gone or 2nd service. He is given an estimation of 8k +. I guess he is charged for fuel filter change. Do you know when its needs to change according to service instruction on the user manual ? I thought air filter needs a replacement at 15k service. Can you please brief me about it by taking a glance at the manual.

Devdath, very much in action on SUV threads. Will take you along for my next PDI which im almost sure will be a safari. Any idea when is the next facelift or what is referred to as 2011 safari going to take the road.
Old 1st October 2010, 14:44   #415
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Devdath, very much in action on SUV threads. Will take you along for my next PDI which im almost sure will be a safari. Any idea when is the next facelift or what is referred to as 2011 safari going to take the road.
It will be a pleasure to accompany you blackbeast.
If you ask me, going by TATA's pace of things, I do not expect the new Safari to be launched before April-May 2011 or later.
Old 1st October 2010, 15:33   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Happywheels, Good to see some traction on your thread. 23,000kms for 1 year over long drives and patchy roads. Paisa vasool.

My Bull ( cant stop saying its mine though its sold to a friend of mine) has gone or 2nd service. He is given an estimation of 8k +. I guess he is charged for fuel filter change. Do you know when its needs to change according to service instruction on the user manual ? I thought air filter needs a replacement at 15k service. Can you please brief me about it by taking a glance at the manual...
Sure is paisa vasool!

And as for the fuel filter, going strictly by the service manual, it does mention so. But I have not yet done so far. Remember a talk of this but not able to recollect now as to what was finally agreed upon. But it is surely an overkill to change it at 2nd service. (Is this the 15k service?)
Old 1st October 2010, 15:47   #417
Team-BHP Support

Fuel filter has to be changed at every service according to the manual, but service centers got a notification that it has to be changed at 30K only.
Therefore, now service centers are changing it at 30K only as it is expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I see that your steering wheel has also starting losing its "covering". Same issue with mine, started happening after a year of use. Its high time in a 10L vehicle tata started offering some quality plastics and coverings.
Our of curiosity, how is your safari logo on the rear tailgate. Rusted or still shiny?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st October 2010 at 15:49.
Old 1st October 2010, 15:50   #418
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the clarification TSK; was just trying to reach out to my SA to check this out.

But, what I have noticed is that few new recruits are not properly informed and they go by the book.
Old 1st October 2010, 17:57   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...I see that your steering wheel has also starting losing its "covering". Same issue with mine, started happening after a year of use. Its high time in a 10L vehicle tata started offering some quality plastics and coverings.
Our of curiosity, how is your safari logo on the rear tailgate. Rusted or still shiny?
The steering wheels cover started this 'shedding' some time back. Was offered by TASS to get it replaced under warranty, which I turned down. The new wheel will not be any different from this. Might change it towards the end of the 2nd year and get a steering grip.

As for the logo, touch wood, no loss of gloss or rust found. While washing, I use a discarded tooth brush to clean them, so would have noticed if any rust was present. Mmmm... don't tell me they are prone to rusting!
Old 1st October 2010, 18:16   #420
Senior - BHPian

Suresh, that steering wheel really has shed, luckily my second steering wheel is not so bad, it is still pondering whether it should shed or not

I too have had no issues of rusting of the monogram so far, I have never used a toothbrush other than for brushing my teeth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks