Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2014, 22:37   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: 2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years

Front brake pads for 14k's??? Isnt that too expensive?
Old 15th December 2014, 22:40   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Altis 1.8 GL - 47,000kms *update* New Yokohama tyres finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Actually you have to add up all service bills from page 1 and then divide by kms. That will give you the actual running cost. As far as I know the total for all services done till now including the current one will not be more than 50K for 55,000kms. Will see based on final bill tomorrow.
I have to agree. Owning a Toyota is always cheaper and headacheless.

Most of their regular consumables last longer than any of the other leaders in the market.

The manner in which they check the Brake pads and only then suggest replacement is something that rest must learn rather than blindly asking a customer to replace due to no of kms run.

It is not a surprise that maintaining a Toyota is cheaper than maintaining any other car. It always asks for less!

Not to forget the fact that their dealer are atypical from rest of the brands when it comes to suggesting jobs that inflate labor charges and add to the final bill.
Old 15th December 2014, 23:55   #243
Team-BHP Support

re: 2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Front brake pads for 14k's??? Isnt that too expensive?
Altis parts are not cheap bro. It's after all a D1 segment sedan.

The thing is parts don't fail as much so ownership costs are lower but when they do fail or wear out it costs a pretty penny.

The actual cost is not 14K.

1. Brake pads - 9900 + tax
2. Caliper Kit - 1800 + tax
3. Labour charges

Total comes to 14K including labour.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 00:33   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Altis parts are not cheap bro. It's after all a D1 segment sedan.

The thing is parts don't fail as much so ownership costs are lower but when they do fail or wear out it costs a pretty penny.

3. Labour charges

Total comes to 14K including labour.
Never had a d segmenter but even then I would have thought that regular consumables like brake pads will be cheaper. Turns out its not quite true.
Old 18th December 2014, 12:33   #245
BHPian

Hi Vid6639,

I have a Corolla Altis D-4D 2012 model, right now I've clocked 60K+ on the odo and looking for options to change my tyres.
After reading your review I'm sold for the Yokohama Earth 1's of the 205/65/R15 standard.
But before getting my car shod, wanted to ask you one single question, does the rubber scrape/touch the inside of your wheel wells when you turn your steering to either extremities?

Thank you in advance for your time.
Old 18th December 2014, 15:07   #246
BHPian

Quote:

3. Labour charges
9.9k for front brake pads This is more than what I pay for my CBU nissan (parts only)

Even the caliper pins are more expensive than I would like to believe.

I just checked out the new altis petrol, and I am very tempted to book one, but I am not willing to pay so much for regular maintainence for a toyota. Will have to inquire about parts cost before going ahead.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 25th December 2014, 17:41   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
9.9k for front brake pads This is more than what I pay for my CBU nissan (parts only)

I just checked out the new altis petrol, and I am very tempted to book one, but I am not willing to pay so much for regular maintainence for a toyota. Will have to inquire about parts cost before going ahead.
The cost is not high if you compare it with the other D segment cars. Also a lot depends on your driving style and the traffic density you counter everyday. My Altis has completed 46k kms and is still running on stock brake pads and discs. Also the overall service expense till date has been only Rs. 15.6k. Compare that figure with the rest of the cars in that segment. My indian built Nissan Sunny costs almost 10k a year to maintain just for the regular servicing.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 01:52   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The cost is not high if you compare it with the other D segment cars. Also a lot depends on your driving style and the traffic density you counter everyday. My Altis has completed 46k kms and is still running on stock brake pads and discs. Also the overall service expense till date has been only Rs. 15.6k. Compare that figure with the rest of the cars in that segment. My indian built Nissan Sunny costs almost 10k a year to maintain just for the regular servicing.
Sir,

By comparing to other D-segment sedans, I am sure that the regular servicing (oils and filters) of the altis is less-er. However, the prices of parts most certainly seem to be very high. I don't have an idea of it's competitors, but what really is puzzling is that this price is very near to prices of C class/3 series territory pricing of parts (I am only referring to prices of parts, not labour).

Your sunny costs 10k per year because you have to send it for servicing twice a year, which IMO is Nissan's way of making money for themselves OR keeping their dealers happy. Once your car is out of warranty, just change your servicing intervals to 10k/1year, and then compare. Even my car's intervals were suddenly tweaked by half once the Hoover fiasco ended. So, what suddenly prompted them to tweak the intervals after all these years?

I follow all the altis threads on this forum (including yours), and I must say that comparatively, you seem to be a lot more sedate driver (and plus you are self driven). Plus, your car doesn't really see the routine dense city traffic, does it? So, it's not surprising that your brake pads are lasting longer.

Thanks,
Simple_car

@Mods, kindly shift the discussion to the relevant thread if you feel this thread is getting cluttered.
Old 26th December 2014, 09:25   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Sir,

By comparing to other D-segment sedans, I am sure that the regular servicing (oils and filters) of the altis is less-er. However, the prices of parts most certainly seem to be very high. I don't have an idea of it's competitors, but what really is puzzling is that this price is very near to prices of C class/3 series territory pricing of parts (I am only referring to prices of parts, not labour).
Parts for C and 3 are definitely costlier. I think a pair of brake pads cost almost around 40-50k. The ORVM costs 80k ( for sure) whereas in the Altis it was around 20k ( need to check my old bills for the exact amount). So it is not really 3 series territory. But yes there is no denying the fact that parts are costly although in line with its segment. Combine that with lower costs of regular servicing and hence lower overall bills.

Again I agree with your observation regarding my Altis. On the other hand the diesel Altis has to driven sedately .

I do not however agree with your point regarding Nissan. First of all with extended warranty I am stuck with them till that gets over. But even not considering that, We are discussing here the OEM specified maintenance costs of the car. If you change the service interval according to your convenience, then you can also source aftermarket bosch brake pads which will cost you much less.

Last edited by drmohitg : 26th December 2014 at 09:28.
Old 26th December 2014, 15:21   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Parts for C and 3 are definitely costlier. I think a pair of brake pads cost almost around 40-50k. The ORVM costs 80k ( for sure) whereas in the Altis it was around 20k ( need to check my old bills for the exact amount). So it is not really 3 series territory. But yes there is no denying the fact that parts are costly although in line with its segment. Combine that with lower costs of regular servicing and hence lower overall bills.
Ok, firstly, I have to agree that the parts of the 3/C are costlier (esp. body parts).. don't know what I was thinking when I typed it. I got confused w.r.t to brake pads for a good reason. Allow me to explain below.

You are EITHER including the cost of labour and sensors OR including atleast one pair of discs when you are quoting the price of 40-50k for pad change. I have gone through the bill of my close friend's car who changed all 4 brake pads on a E class including sensors, and his bill came to 29k.. If I were to remove the labour/taxes and sensor charge, the price is coming to ~20k, which if you were to divide into pairs would come to ~10k per pair. I have just simplified the bill. The C's parts and labour is a little lesser, and will definitely is in line with the altis's brake parts. That's what is fascinating me about the price. Nothing else, really. Once you start including the price of the disc's then the bill will start climbing up drastically. However, discs don't require change for quite some time. You buy from importers, and you will be pleasantly surprised just how much you end up saving for the same OEM parts. Want more proof as to why I am skeptical, search username androdev's thread for the pad cost, I am just cross posting it here for your reference:
Quote:
The cost of brake pad job is as follows (approx):

two front rotors/disks: 40k
front brake pad set: 11k
rear brake pad set: 10K
two brake wear sensors: 2.5K
parts total: 64K
labour (includes full wheel alignment, etc.): 7.5K
I can definitely quote you many more instances (not from this forum, but from my own and a few friend's first hand experience), but if you wish to know more, then I would request you to shift this discussion privately.

Now, as far as your sunny is concerned, what you say is only partially true. Let's assume that you wish to follow the manufacturer's guidelines (it's 6 months/10k right?). Ok.. just ask them to bill for parts and labour of oil and filter change for every alternate service (i.e. just tell them not to bill you for 15k 'service' or 25k 'service' which will be around 1k atleast). That's what I do here. So, now I end up paying about 300-400 bucks for the labour for every 5k service; and every 10k kms, I let them bill me for their 'recommended' service (so I get billed for 60k kms service when my ODO is at 70k kms.. I hope I have made myself clear). My friend's micra D is out of warranty for past one year, and he just prefers to send the car for service every year now. Reliability is not really going to take a hit so much anyways. I am not talking about fitting any aftermarket stuff at all, just approaching the matter at the A.S.S. differently. That's all.

And no, altis is not meant to be driven sedately, it has sufficient torque for most conditions it's likely to encounter, and honestly it's a very likeable car. Anyways, when purchasing a car, I try and look at worse case scenarios (since that's what I have to deal with most of the time)

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Simple_car : 26th December 2014 at 15:22.
Old 26th April 2015, 19:27   #251
Team-BHP Support

Not much of an update. Since December I haven't been able to find a driver, hence the Altis running has come down to almost nothing. It's at 56,000kms vs 55,000kms in December. I had last used the car sometime in March and since then it was in the basement lying unused. I could never get time to take it out for a wash and the dust accumulated got so bad that the only place I had to take it was for a wash before going anywhere else.

Today I decided instead of taking it to 3M to wash it myself as it might rain anyways so no point in getting a 600 buck wash.

After a nice wash and filling air in the tyres, took it out for a drive.

I am wondering if it really makes any sense in retaining the car. Drivers are not easy to find and right now dad is relying on Uber as daily transport. Last 3 drivers, not even one stayed for more than a month.

On the other hand a second car in the house is always good to have and we really need an automatic. Due to both being manual, I always prefer using the Ecosport over the Altis. With an automatic I can use both and even think of getting dad to start driving for short shopping errands. Wondering if not an upgrade whether a downgrade makes sense to a Vento/Rapid DSG.

2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years-img_20150426_161754.jpg

2009 Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 GL chugging along at 1,05,000 kms and 15 years-img_20150426_190240.jpg
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 20:33   #252
BHPian

Quote:

On the other hand a second car in the house is always good to have and we really need an automatic. Due to both being manual, I always prefer using the Ecosport over the Altis. With an automatic I can use both and even think of getting dad to start driving for short shopping errands. Wondering if not an upgrade whether a downgrade makes sense to a Vento/Rapid DSG.
If you really do not require the space and the boot, downgrade to a Polo GT-Tsi. It would make city driving and parking more convenient.
Old 26th April 2015, 20:45   #253
BANNED

Quote:
With an automatic I can use both and even think of getting dad to start driving for short shopping errands. Wondering if not an upgrade whether a downgrade makes sense to a Vento/Rapid DSG.
Good thought IMO. Sell the Altis and get a Polo GT TSI. Rather than being a sedan get a hatchback thanks to the Bangalore traffic and congestion, parking to would be easier in a hatch and good enough for your dad to use it occasionally.

If budget is an issue then look out for AMT equipped cars.
Old 26th April 2015, 22:10   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
If you really do not require the space and the boot, downgrade to a Polo GT-Tsi. It would make city driving and parking more convenient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Good thought IMO. Sell the Altis and get a Polo GT TSI. Rather than being a sedan get a hatchback thanks to the Bangalore traffic and congestion, parking to would be easier in a hatch and good enough for your dad to use it occasionally.

If budget is an issue then look out for AMT equipped cars.
I already have an EcoSport so there's no point in getting a hatch. Remember this car is not only used by me.

The idea is to get an automatic car for convenience and even if we eventually get a driver, it can be used by dad. Polo is ruled out.

I am not averse to large cars, I don't have parking problems as I don't stay in city.

The major hurdle is the Altis is running absolutely fine and will not get any resale being a petrol and 6 years old. Selling it and getting something lower seems counter intuitive. On the other hand getting something higher seems waste as the car will not be used much and if we get a driver, a high end car in a drivers hands is like a bull in a china shop.
Old 26th April 2015, 22:31   #255
BHPian

Quote:

The idea is to get an automatic car for convenience and even if we eventually get a driver, it can be used by dad. Polo is ruled out.

I am not averse to large cars, I don't have parking problems as I don't stay in city.
If your open to pre owned cars, an Elantra petrol auto would be a fine option for not that much more money. I had come across an early 2013 top of the line elantra petrol (20000 odd kms) auto for about 7.5 lakhs in chennai. Bang for your buck imho. It would be better than the corolla in many ways and it scores way better in safety with 6 airbags, esp etc. Plus, being a hyundai it would be easy to maintain as well.

However, it wont be a very enthusiastic drive.

If you are going the new car way and have the budget, the octavia 1.8 tsi would be a good choice with the caveat of skoda reliability and service.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 26th April 2015 at 22:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks