Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 12:16   #1
BHPian

2006 Mustang GT: Ownership Experience (with photos)

I thought some of you might be interested in reading about the Mustang. I've had many Mustangs in my family (all GTs), and this one is by far the best out of all previous generations of Mustangs.

First, let me say that the Mustang has always been extremely reliable. My girlfriend had a 2005 Mustang GT with a 5-speed, and she put 90,000 miles on it without a single problem. Her previous Mustang, a 1997 model, was just as reliable when she sold it with 130,000 miles on the odo. All of our Mustangs have been just as trouble free - only oil changes were needed, that's it. Even the brake pads last an extremely long time.

I mainly drive my truck, so the Mustang I have only has about 5000 miles on it now, however as mentioned above my report is also based on my girlfriend's 2005 Mustang, which had much higher mileage (which I mostly drive as well).

Alright, back to the 2006 Mustang. Mine is a Premium model, with leather, upgraded aluminum panels on the dashboard, 1000-watt stereo, 18-inch wheels, and the 5-speed automatic transmission.

The new generation Mustang came out in 2005, and the first thing I noticed when I first drove this Mustang was how great the car handled. Unlike previous generations of Mustangs, the rear end tracking was fantastic over bumps and cornering. The Mustang how has the handling of the highly regarded GM F-Body cars (Camaro, Firebird). It's crisp, predictable, and rock solid as well as very well mannered and comfortable on the highway. Ford got the suspension right this time, and it really shows. The car feels much smaller and lighter than it really is, which makes it extremely fun to drive.

This car has the 4.6 liter aluminum OHC V8, 300 horsepower. Power is delivery is very strong, especially once it reaches 2500 RPM. The 5-speed automatic is incredible - under full throttle acceleration it shifts extremely quickly and with authority, and while cruising it's very smooth. This transmission has very close gear ratios, so it's as quick as the 5-speed manual transmission, in my opinion. With traction control switched off, it doesn't take any effort to spin the rear wheels through third gear, if desired. The exhaust note is awesome, not loud, but it makes itself known as a V8.

Seating comfort is also very good. Not quite as comfortable as a Camaro or Firebird, but still better than any previous Mustang. The steering is quick and precise, and I really like the retro look to the interior. Newer models now have a glass roof as well. The factory stereo sounds fantastic, with very powerful bass and the ability to play MP3s. The user can load five discs into the multi-disc changer right into the dash unit. The air conditioning is ice cold, which is important here in south Florida.

The downside to this car is the poor fuel economy. On the highway, the car will manage about 22 mpg, and around town it will be worse. I suppose it could be worse, but a modern Corvette can get almost 30 mpg with a much larger engine, so it's something to think about.

I really like the body styling and it's been changed slightly again for 2009, although the car is basically the same. The body fit and finish is superb, and the paint finish is mirror smooth. There are no rattles, squeaks, or any indication of things wearing out. The same could be said of my girlfriend's 2005 Mustang GT, which she sold with 90,000 miles on it as mentioned above.

So, to summarize:

The good:
  • Awesome styling
  • Tons of power, V8 exhaust note
  • Comfortable interior, great stereo
  • Fantastic suspension
  • Very high quality fit and finish
The bad:
  • Poor fuel economy
  • Rear seats are almost useless (lack of room)
  • Could use slightly wider rubber from the factory
Attached Thumbnails
2006 Mustang GT: Ownership Experience (with photos)-mustang_00.jpg  

2006 Mustang GT: Ownership Experience (with photos)-mustang_2.jpg  

2006 Mustang GT: Ownership Experience (with photos)-mustang_3.jpg  

2006 Mustang GT: Ownership Experience (with photos)-mustang_5.jpg  

2006 Mustang GT: Ownership Experience (with photos)-mustang_6.jpg  

2006 Mustang GT: Ownership Experience (with photos)-mustang_interior.jpg  

2006 Mustang GT: Ownership Experience (with photos)-mustang_4.jpg  

Last edited by Vert1go : 17th September 2009 at 12:23.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:16   #2
BHPian

Mustang i can only dream of buying this car.

My fav car and its been my desktop's wallpaper for so long now.

Dude, you are one lucky guy with a lucky charm, do handle with care
Old 17th September 2009, 13:50   #3
BHPian

The car is an absolute beauty....
Droooooollllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations
Loved the color as well.
Some more info and pictures would be appreciated.
Old 18th September 2009, 18:25   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, let me congratulate you on owning the pony. What a great looking muscle car! Nice choice of colour too. Ford has done a fantastic job with the Mustangs styling, even the previous gen Mustang was a looker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1go View Post
First, let me say that the Mustang has always been extremely reliable.
With 5,000 miles what do you expect? Just kidding. Simple construction and Ford does have a better reliability record than the other 1.5 American car makers.

Quote:
My girlfriend had a 2005 Mustang GT with a 5-speed, and she put 90,000 miles on it without a single problem. Her previous Mustang, a 1997 model, was just as reliable when she sold it with 130,000 miles on the odo.
Got pictures of both the mustangs together?

Quote:
It's crisp, predictable, and rock solid as well as very well mannered and comfortable on the highway. Ford got the suspension right this time, and it really shows. The car feels much smaller and lighter than it really is, which makes it extremely fun to drive.
I've driven the previous gen extensive (01 - 03) and it really wasn't a great handler. Looks like this gen is a definite step ahead.

Quote:
This car has the 4.6 liter aluminum OHC V8, 300 horsepower.
HAHAHA! Only the V8s are real mustangs right?

Quote:
I suppose it could be worse, but a modern Corvette can get almost 30 mpg with a much larger engine, so it's something to think about.
Think its got a lot to do with the Vettes tall gearing too. Doesn't the Corvette have / had a gear upshift feature where it skipped a gear or two, straight to a higher ratio to meet EPA requirements?

Thanks for sharing this review with us. Can't beat the Mustang on the bang for the buck factor. How I wish we could buy such cars out here for $30,000 / 15 lakh rupees!
Old 18th September 2009, 19:26   #5
BHPian

What a lovely car you have got youeself there, wish I could have one too. Keep us posted as you clock those miles. Happy driving my friend.
Old 10th December 2009, 14:09   #6
BHPian

Just a photo of my 2006 Mustang GT Premium

I just thought I would share...
Attached Thumbnails
2006 Mustang GT: Ownership Experience (with photos)-mustangside.jpg  

Old 10th December 2009, 14:16   #7
BHPian

you must be waking up with pleasure each day !! :-)
Old 10th December 2009, 18:14   #8
BHPian

Drools...

We accept more pics as well , feel free to upload all of them

Edit: Just saw your ownership thread. Awesome pics

Last edited by musicvj : 10th December 2009 at 18:15.
Old 11th December 2009, 11:17   #9
BHPian

this car has 18th century suspension! they say. anyways looks cool.
Old 11th December 2009, 12:37   #10
BHPian

Thats a stunner.Its a dream machine for me.
Loved the color.
More pictures of the interiors
Old 11th December 2009, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pics. Looks stunning in that color. Can't resist myself to lay my hands on it.

Never seems to be 3y old boy. Maintained very well.

Pls post some pics of your friends ride as well. Love to watch them.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 11th December 2009 at 14:35.
Old 11th December 2009, 14:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great looking car indeed! I've seen many Mustangs in SFO and LA and boy o boy, their owners used to rave about them!

I've just observed that the ORVM adjustment knob and the head-light switch looks similar to the ones on the Indian Fiesta, and so do the AC ducts/ louvres!

I've seen similar ones on the Focus RS in UK too!
Old 17th December 2009, 02:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1go View Post

The good:
  • Awesome styling
  • Tons of power, V8 exhaust note
  • Comfortable interior, great stereo
  • Fantastic suspension
  • Very high quality fit and finish
Dude this is definitely what anyone would want in a sports car. Who cares about the bad parts when there are so many good things in it.Simply mouth watering dude.Awesome car This and my favourite too!!
Old 17th December 2009, 02:42   #14
BHPian

You Lucky, hmm cant say more, but dude you dont know how lucky you are to have that beast.
Old 19th December 2009, 13:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

The 2011 Mustang GT will get a 5.0 L VVT 32 V DOHC coyote V8 with 412 horsepower. Drool..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks