Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2005, 13:39   #1
BHPian

Baleno Vxi - First 500 km report

Hi guys,

Just completed 500 km in my new baleno. Here are a few comments from an amateur:
1. Awesome ride quality. Haven't had the pleasure of sitting in the rear as yet, but, feels real great when you drive it. Initially had the lot of noice from the types (185/70/R13 Bridgestone Potenza) ... its a lot better now. Sometimes when I hit a pothole (don't know the size of the pothole), there is a "thunk" sound from the front ... no clue what triggers it off; and it happens very randomly - haven't been able to replicate this problem at every pothole. The ride quality seems to be lots better, especially since I upgraded from an 800.
2. Great air-conditioning. Chills the whole cabin within a couple of mins even when the car is parked in the hot sun. Got Llumar Platinum series sunfilm. Don't know if this is contributing in any way.
3. There seems to be a problem with the gears. They still don't feel comfortable. Reverse gear gets stuck sometimes.
4. Around 12 FE in the city with a/c (Xtra Premium - 91 Octane). Haven't tried the highways as yet.
5. The cabin is fairly sound proof. Music helps drown out the street noice as well (have installed pioneer 6750 with sound stream e series speakes - rear and front)
6. Liked the height adjustable seat for the driver's side. Suits my height well (am around 5'7). It would probably depend on personal choice. BTW, got some art leather seats for 4k. They are real neat.
Any idea where to get the transparent foot mat cover from? They seem to be out of stock on JC Road.
7. No clue what to do with the rear demister. Doesn't seem to make any difference when I turn it on during rain.
8. The stock head lights are too low in the intensity (I think they are 55/50 if i am not wrong). Cannot see a thing on the roads during nights. The dealer told me that the upgrade is not approved by the RTO. Well, I don't know ... the lighting on the road sucks big time; have to do something about the lights. Has anyone upgraded to better head lights? A little help on this would be more than welcome. How about i install the fog lamps with 55/50 and i get those 110/100 in the headlights and use them only when required?
9. The automatic antenna is a bit painful to handle especially if you have to enter a low clearing parking lot. I don't know why the antenna has to be activated when a person is listening to mp3s.

Will try and get some pictures soon.

satan

Last edited by satan_crazy : 24th July 2005 at 13:55.
Old 24th July 2005, 13:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice initial report Satan. Have you upgraded your alloys as well? You could have gone for an upgrade to 14" too.

Hope to see the pictures soon. What colour is she by the way?

Dippy
Old 24th July 2005, 13:56   #3
BHPian

Satan Crazy - i had the same grouch about the light when i had to drive to Khandala one night. Too low intensity, but thats the RTO rule

In any case, i went to my local & well trusted Electrician and pushed it up to 95/100. excellent results,Major difference, very happy . Cost -950 rs i think. I put in Phillips bulbs (on his recco) and a pre-fab?? cut out, no cut wiring, no warranty probs.

He advised me against 130w as not only do they tend to dim out the reflectors & plastic, but his main thing was the contact points get very heated and tend to melt.
Old 24th July 2005, 14:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Nice initial report Satan. Have you upgraded your alloys as well? You could have gone for an upgrade to 14" too.

Hope to see the pictures soon. What colour is she by the way?

Dippy
Thanks.
Pearl-Silver in colour. Haven't upgraded the alloys as yet. Should have upgraded to 14". Probably when i mod my car next year or so.

Satan
Old 24th July 2005, 14:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan_crazy
3. There seems to be a problem with the gears. They still don't feel comfortable. Reverse gear gets stuck sometimes.
Dude, this gear problem is there with all the Maruti MPFIs.. dont know why Maruti cant do anything about it.. it just sucks having your reverse gear refusing to be engaged time and again..
I guess you will have to learn to live with that problem.. some people seem to have more of it, some have less of it.. but the problem IS THERE in all models, and Maruti needs to do something urgently about it..
Old 24th July 2005, 16:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Remember once you shift to 110/100 bulbs or 100/90 as the case may be...your headlamd reflector my dim over time due to the extra heat that the hi wattage bulbs produce...I am actually thinking of going in for fog lamps...after market fitments void the electrical warranty and hence have not fitted anyone yet...maruti one's cost 13 k.....!!!
Old 24th July 2005, 20:21   #7
SLK
Senior - BHPian

The reverse gear thing has been there in almost all cars I am driven till date. Its not a problem, once you know how to get around it, it won't bother you at all.

BTW what could it have to with MPFI cars?
Old 25th July 2005, 14:40   #8
BHPian

meaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
The reverse gear thing has been there in almost all cars I am driven till date. Its not a problem, once you know how to get around it, it won't bother you at all.

BTW what could it have to with MPFI cars?
i never had a problem in reverse in palio.
or for that matter, in Fusion
Old 25th July 2005, 16:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan_crazy
Hi guys,

4. Around 12 FE in the city with a/c (Xtra Premium - 91 Octane). Haven't tried the highways as yet.

Post pics of your car and nice review.

Iam not sure whether you are lucky or the guys with whom I have discussed were unlucky. They get a mileage of only 8-9 with their Baleno's. Does these Xtra permium-91 octane contribute to this and how much this costs extra that the normal one?
Old 25th July 2005, 19:33   #10
BHPian

congratulations on your baleno, even i'm experiencing the sticky gearshift in reverse on my 7500km rum baleno Lxi = just about the only issue
Old 26th July 2005, 11:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
They get a mileage of only 8-9 with their Baleno's.
I just re-checked. 309 km for 28 L of Xtra Premium - 91 Octane (filled at the Bowring Institute Bunk - where they sell those kulfis) ... roughly works out to abt 11 kmpl. Seems less, especially when you jump from an 800 to this
Old 26th July 2005, 11:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead
In any case, i went to my local & well trusted Electrician and pushed it up to 95/100. excellent results,Major difference, very happy . Cost -950 rs i think.
Checked with the local market here ... they are selling 90/100 Philips for around 200 rupees. Substantial difference from the 950 rupees that you quoted. Do you think there is something wrong with the dealer I am getting these from?

thanks,
satan
Old 26th July 2005, 11:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Remember once you shift to 110/100 bulbs or 100/90 as the case may be...your headlamd reflector my dim over time due to the extra heat that the hi wattage bulbs produce
I guess most people upgrade to 90/100, right? I thought the only restriction was from the RTO and not from the headlamp reflector dimming out over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
I am actually thinking of going in for fog lamps...after market fitments void the electrical warranty and hence have not fitted anyone yet...maruti one's cost 13 k.....!!!
The dealer said that the fog lamps don't really accentuate (or can substitute for) the headlamps in anyway. Their purpose, apparently, is different. Not quite sure how true he was.
Old 26th July 2005, 11:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
congratulations on your baleno, even i'm experiencing the sticky gearshift in reverse on my 7500km rum baleno Lxi = just about the only issue
Thanks, I guess I'll have to learn to live with it
Old 26th July 2005, 16:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

hi,
" guess most people upgrade to 90/100, right? I thought the only restriction was from the RTO and not from the headlamp reflector dimming out over time. "

reflector Dimming by 100/90 usage has happened in my Uno...(whil BTW did not have clear glass headlamps)...dont know how resistant Baleno Lamps are

"The dealer said that the fog lamps don't really accentuate (or can substitute for) the headlamps in anyway. Their purpose, apparently, is different. Not quite sure how true he was."

Yes and no...they surely provide extra light and with the fog lamps taking care of the area near the car...you can focus your headlamps slightly higher to increase reach...I recently drove 350 kms in night in my uno with two foglamps and only one headlight working.....It was pretty well lit up by the lamps....it helped though that the fog lapms I had were adjustible in focus..so I could focus them in front. and see the road clearly..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks