Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 19:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

INDICA DLG TURBO- 45000 report

My initial new car requirement in 2005 November with a budget on of about 4.5 lakhs-
1. A car that does 40 kms a day with minimum fuel expences= Indica
2. ocassional trips (twice a year ) to vizag from hyderabad= Indica
3. sturdy on highway=Indica
4. costs the least= Wagon R/ Santro/ Indica
5. all comfort and convenience like A/c, p/s, CL in minimum money= Indica/ Wagon R / Santro
6 low on maintenance= Wagon R/ Santro
7. plenty of space (legroom)= Indica
8. Good seating height= Indica/ Wagon R/ Santro
9. power in city and highway= Indica Turbo

My running cost, space and comfort weighed above all else and i decided to purchase Indica DLG turbo as this was the only Diesel hatch avaiable at that price! Took extended warranty at the purchase point as i knew about time honoured TATA problems. But i have been quite fortunate! Read on..

Major Problems encountered-
First 1000 kms
1. Engine oil leakage - Rectified promply
2. parcel tray noise- placed rubbr bushes (still makes noise )

12,000 kms-
clutch juddering, clutch hard- clutch replaced free of cost

35000kms-
Heater plug gone- replaced (not under warranty :-( )

38000 kms
clutch became hard- Replaced entire clutch assembly (didnt last up to my expectataion) I dont ride clutch. I also drive a Jeep and riding clutch is a strict no there. Hence it is a habit not to ride clutch to me.

45,000 kms
A/c ineffective after 2 hours of operation- replaced thermostat switch

All services done at TASS except one service at My TVS. I will rate TASS very good at customer service but very tight on warranty.

Car as it is now @ 45000 +
suspension- excellent condition
Engine- FIP pump hunting, may have to get it O/H
A/c- Perfect
Brakes- Perfect
Body- No rattles except parcel tray
gearbox- Good
Tyres- Will run about 5-8 k more (No puncture till now)
Electricals- Perfect
Steering- Perfect
Fuel efficiency- 13 to 13.5 (14 kmpl when new) city highway- 16.5-17 kmpl max - All a/c on!

Things i like i this car-
1. space
2. road holding on highway
3. Fuel economy
4. a/c
5. ground clearance (breakover anlge) :-))
6. highway performance - power
7. comfy seats

Things i dont like-
1. Turbo lag (better now)
2. Engine and gear box noise (refinement)
3. parcel tray noise
4. brakes (got used to it now;-))

Living with it-
1. Take it to TASS every 5,000 kms else it will throw you surprises
2. keep a cloth under the parcel tray to avoid rattles
3. Ocassionally open the hood and check for oil leaks
4. Be gentle on suspension else i heard indicas suspension throwing up in 25-35 K
5. Learn to live with turbo lag (specially when you drive torquey jeep;-P)
6 Remove wheel caps when you encounter bad rods, u will loose them other wise as the tyre profile is very low
7. Always expect problems, when you dont encounter you will be happier

So, are my expectations met after 4 years of ownership and 45000+ kms?

The answer is YES!

INDICA DLG TURBO- 45000 report-indicaturbo.jpg

Last edited by Dippy : 21st October 2009 at 14:54. Reason: Sorting out attachment
Old 20th October 2009, 20:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
2. parcel tray noise- placed rubbr bushes (still makes noise )
If you dont use the tray much, remove it , else get an MDF tray ( and maybe some ovals while you are at it from an ICE shop - the wooden tray rattle a lot less.

A lot of other things in the rear rattle - toolkit, the LED stoplamp - a little double sided foam tape does wonders
Quote:
12,000 kms-
clutch juddering, clutch hard- clutch replaced free of cost

38000 kms
clutch became hard- Replaced entire clutch assembly (didnt last up to my expectataion) I dont ride clutch. I also drive a Jeep and riding clutch is a strict no there. Hence it is a habit not to ride clutch to me.
Have felt that the clutch is a bit hard, but I've grown used to it. so i dont mind, It's the only exercise I get!

Quote:
Engine- FIP pump hunting, may have to get it O/H
Just curious - what exactly are the symptoms?

Quote:
Tyres- Will run about 5-8 k more (No puncture till now)
which ones?
Quote:
4. Be gentle on suspension else i heard indicas suspension throwing up in 25-35 K
Abuse my shocks a lot some really bad roads around my place. hope mine last enough - either way, they're pretty cheap!

Quote:
7. Always expect problems, when you dont encounter you will be happier

So, are my expectations met after 4 years of ownership and 45000+ kms?

The answer is YES!
Truer words have ne'er been said, and THAT sir, is the key to a happy tata vehicle ownership

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th October 2009 at 20:11.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you dont use the tray much, remove it , else get an MDF tray ( and maybe some ovals while you are at it from an ICE shop - the wooden tray rattle a lot less.
Iam right now placing a cloth under the parcel tray. Noise is OK

Quote:
Have felt that the clutch is a bit hard, but I've grown used to it. so i dont mind, It's the only exercise I get!
Diesel cars have heavier clutch. Even when i changed my clutch to new, i felt it was harder than swift petrol

Quote:
Just curious - what exactly are the symptoms?
The first syptom was, during a sudden tab on the accelerator there is lot of jerking. One has to be really gentle on the accelerator, higher gears no problem. Also i can feel uneven shake in the body during idling sometimes. I showed this to TASS guys they adjusted the pump and said if things dont improve then the FIP needs to be overhauled. Estimated cost Rs10,000/- (Max)

Quote:
which ones?
Bridstone tyres. They are awful on grip. Never liked them especially on wet roads even when new!

Quote:
Abuse my shocks a lot some really bad roads around my place. hope mine last enough - either way, they're pretty cheap!
They are cheap individually. However if you have to replace all of them plus bushes and labour charges for that it can get quite expensive

FIP job, tyre replacement and slight paint touchups are the pending things to call it just perfect.

I would like to know the tyre pressure from Turbo DLG owners- 28 front and 24 rear. Is this what you all guys put? This is as per manufacturers recommendation sticker. I feel this is a bit low and affects mileage. However i strictly follow it.

P.S- I forgot to mention that condensor fan was replaced at about 20,000 kms under wannaty as it shaked a lot. I feel the shake has started again!!
Old 21st October 2009, 11:42   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

my dad has the same DLG Turbo V2
It s crossed 25K kms now - bought in April 2006 so not bad going.

I drove it a month ago - it is still a nice car and since it is only my dad who uses it, it is looked after very carefully.

My impression was that there is some juddering when you let go the clutch and accelerate - say at a traffic light.
The noise is very high and engine refinement is pretty bad.
There is noticeable turbo lag which I never liked but once that engine gets going its quite a beast.
I do not like the severe lack of under thigh support in the front seats - irritating.
The clutch is heavy and very springy so it pretty much kicks back at you while releasing.
I absolutely cannot abide the spongy, squishy gearbox - its really horrible.

The power steering is extremely light. The power windows work brilliantly- nice powerful motor.
The Aircon is very good - cools very quickly and has a powerful blast which is an absolute necessity in Madras anyway.
The car is spacious inside with plenty of legroom and even after 25K kms feels solid with no rattles and squeaks etc.
I think the extended warranty is over now and I was told that the Fuel Pump and several other things needed to be replaced around 1 year ago, but all was done under warranty itself with no extra charge.
Dad is ok with the After Sales Service but it is too far away from their home in Madras and they dont offer a pickup and drop service, which they should definitely do.
maybe after it hits 30-35K Km it will be time to sell and upgrade! But to what? Maybe the Manza? Maybe the Vista? Maybe the Figo? Or a Swift DDIS?

Lets see!
Old 21st October 2009, 11:46   #5
BHPian

Indica DLG - 46.5K Kms

Hello,

I also had the same requirement and validated as mentioned like you and ended-up with Indica DLG . It has completed 46.5K Kms in last 1.5 years. As of now I have not encountered any major problems. Had problems with the flat tire and had got changed the tire’s to Appollo Accelere tubeless 185 60 R14. The grip has increased it is rock solid now. Steering is heavy after the bigger profile tyres.

Problems faced:
1) Check Engine light used to glow up – Replaced under warranty during the 40K service.
2) Coolant leakage – Refilled under warranty.
3) Flat tire problem. It had the good year stock tires and after 15KMS it gave lot of problems due internal webbing damage.
4) Around 7 K charged for 40 K service and rest of the service had to spend around 4 K.

Daily using it for 100 Kms. My AC usage is minimal and getting around 16 K for 70 % highway driving.
Old 21st October 2009, 14:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My impression was that there is some juddering when you let go the clutch and accelerate - say at a traffic light.
The noise is very high and engine refinement is pretty bad.
There is noticeable turbo lag which I never liked but once that engine gets going its quite a beast.
I do not like the severe lack of under thigh support in the front seats - irritating.
The clutch is heavy and very springy so it pretty much kicks back at you while releasing.
I absolutely cannot abide the spongy, squishy gearbox - its really horrible.

The power steering is extremely light. The power windows work brilliantly- nice powerful motor.
The Aircon is very good - cools very quickly and has a powerful blast which is an absolute necessity in Madras anyway.
The car is spacious inside with plenty of legroom and even after 25K kms feels solid with no rattles and squeaks etc.
I think the extended warranty is over now and I was told that the Fuel Pump and several other things needed to be replaced around 1 year ago, but all was done under warranty itself with no extra charge.
Dad is ok with the After Sales Service but it is too far away from their home in Madras and they dont offer a pickup and drop service, which they should definitely do.
maybe after it hits 30-35K Km it will be time to sell and upgrade! But to what? Maybe the Manza? Maybe the Vista? Maybe the Figo? Or a Swift DDIS?
Lets see!
Sankar.balan
Your observations are quite agreeable! Even iam looking for more refined car. SOme times i find the engine noise too much. I just cannot drive it with music system off. Also the music system volume needs to be increased for highway travel. Engine is refined beyond 90kmph. I have touched 140 kmph very comfortably.

Another thing i noticed in Turbo charged engine is smoke. The moment you have turbo boost there is a thiick black smoke. I hate it.

Even iam planning to keep it till i touch about 55-60k on odo. Later if vitamin M permits will decide on next car

@ srinivasmhn
Good to know our cars have identical mileage figures. Let us hope maintenance issues dont crop up beyond expectataions in future

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 21st October 2009 at 14:34.
Old 21st October 2009, 14:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

@ vinod. Avoid premium fuels.
Try system D for a few tankfuls. It really works wonders!
Old 21st October 2009, 14:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fueling

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
@ vinod. Avoid premium fuels.
Try system D for a few tankfuls. It really works wonders!
Greenhorn,
I stopped using premium fuels long back. Didnt find any difference in using them. What is this system D? What advantages is it supposed to have?
Old 21st October 2009, 14:53   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

1. Smoke also appears when the car is started and after warming up for a few seconds as soon as you chuck it in 1st gear, accelerate a bit and start moving forward.
2. When moving forward and when you change down a couple of gears, say 4th to 2nd, then also I ve observed smoke.
3. Vitamin M is the main thing - basically I think it would be better to have a more refined diesel car than the Indica V2 DLG but the nearest / similar product - Swift DDIS or I 20 Diesel are very expensive in comparison.

Any rough ideas on how much a 2006 April Model of Indica V2 DLG Turbo is worth in the Madras used car market nowadays?

[quote=vinod_nookala;1541621]Another thing i noticed in Turbo charged engine is smoke. The moment you have turbo boost there is a thiick black smoke. I hate it.
Later if vitamin M permits will decide on next car
Old 21st October 2009, 15:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

IFTEX OIL & CHEMICALS LTD.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-thread.html

my experience with it has been largely positive
Old 21st October 2009, 15:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

Glow plugs are covered under extended warranty. Its there in the booklet. But service centers try to swindle you.
Write a strong mail to Tata if you have extended warranty. You will be refunded via a voucher
Old 21st October 2009, 15:35   #12
BHPian

Indica V2 DLG Turbo @ 45K kms mark - Three for company.

srinivasmhn & vinod_nookala have some company here.

18th Oct'07 - bought the Indi Turbo at the price I could afford then - Still rocking at 44965kms today.

Have had to change the engine mounts once & both front suspension mounts/struts once.

With 80% a.c travel within the crowded part of the city & 20% travel on highways without A.c - the babe has given me an avg of 16.18kmpl so far.

Once every three months, a Bardahl fuel additive has helped tonnes.

The air-filter has been a Pipercross ever since 5K kms, making the revving a wee-bit smoother.

Regardless of all the wide-spread bashing this product has received, this product has evolved with time and how.

Have never had any issues of internal noise ever - probably due to the use of adequate damping sheets within the car and damping liquid for the underbody as well. The real parcel tray is thick MDF that holds two 6X9 coaxials.
Attached Thumbnails
INDICA DLG TURBO- 45000 report-img00238.jpg  

Last edited by SRShrikanth : 21st October 2009 at 15:37.
Old 21st October 2009, 15:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

@shankar . Balan
I dont have an idea. Last i saw for my indica in carwale.com i got about 2.5-2.8 lakhs for excellent condition car. Your car is about 5 months younger and much less run. Expect 2.8 or so for it. Resale value varies, its beter to get it evaluated

@tsk1979
Yes ofcourse they are covered. Thier main grouse was i missed one service schedule. Actually i did that in MY TVS. This prevented them from honouring the extened warranty. I said glowplug is an internal item and how does MY TVS service effect it specially when no major wiring or engine o/h was done? The answer was- The warranty guys go though the vehicle history and your skipping of one service at TASS is enough for them to say no. I didnt agree, the TASS guy said he will follow it up, but since the amount was about Rs.1600 i didnt bother to find out again and neither did he get back.

SR srikanth-
You have got a looker with you. Considering the year of make you have really done some great highway runs!!
1. Bardahl fuel additive how does it help? Where do you get it?
2. What damping sheets are you using? How much did it cost you? Are Wurth products good enough? Where all did you place them?
3. Please post your interior pictures
Old 21st October 2009, 16:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
SR srikanth-
You have got a looker with you. Considering the year of make you have really done some great highway runs!!
1. Bardahl fuel additive how does it help? Where do you get it?
2. What damping sheets are you using? How much did it cost you? Are Wurth products good enough? Where all did you place them?
3. Please post your interior pictures
I have been using Bardahl fuel additive for a while now. Used it for the 1st time in UK in a deisel 2nd hand car and the advice i got from the authorised service guyz was that it helps in keeping the fuel lines clean with age. In Mumbai at Rs 380 for a 180ml bottle, i have been keeping up with the same.

Wuerth damping is what i have used extensively. Comes in packs of 10 large rectangular sheets & have used about 4 boxes internally. Removed the carpet and stuck them in the floors, doors, hatch-door, and anywhere else i found naked sheet-metal. Apart from that, did underbody coating using Wuerth liquid damping using two cans. Total damping cost spread over 2 years now - Rs 11450/-.

Totally Wuerth it, (given the relatively noise-less smoother ride.)

Will take some recent interior pics soon. For now my TBhp garage has some interior pics.

Thank you for your kind words, as well.

Last edited by SRShrikanth : 21st October 2009 at 16:29.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

SRShrikanth,
I just saw your garage. Impressive interiors, fully loaded i must say. Liked your ICE. Further you have put 185/65 tyres. Do they rub into the wheel wells under full load over uneven surfaces?
Iam planning to upgrade my tyres.

@Greenhorn
Thank you for the thread link. Will adopt system G soon:-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks