Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 00:08   #1
BHPian

Swift DDiS Ldi : long term report - 35k service done

so..iv completed 8000 kms in my swift DDiS Ldi.Since a few days i am itchin to pen down my experiances both good and bad with you guys.
1)kms completed : 8000
approx. 5k of these have been covered in city mostly in bumper to bumper traffic situation

2)Approximate fuel economy : 14-15 in city & 20-21 on highway.
This DDiS engine is amazingly fuel efficient.All the figures mentioned above are with A/C switched on.

3)Number of servicings done : two
Service experiance has been okay. I was quite impressed with the way things were carried out in a systematic manner during the first service.But thats about that.During both the services car was not internally cleaned.I had to wait and get it done.
During my second service even the exteriors were not cleaned properly.I was dissapointed with this.

4)Interiors : well...They are indeed cramped for 5 people.But 95% of the times its only " main aur meri tanhai" so it doesnt really matter.
A lot has been said about the front seats being comfy but i have not been able to find one decently comfortable driving position till now.I have to keep changing driving positions during long drives.
maruti has not given rear head rests for Ldi varient which makes it quite uncomfortable for rear passengers. i have not been able to procure after market ones till date
interior plastics have held on quite well till now and fortunately - NO rattles.
Storage space for phone,cd,ciggies,wallet,glares,bottles is good and everything can bbe kept without anything falling out.
Even door pockets are good.

5)A/C : cools almost instantaeously.

6)engine and gearbox : This is the most exciting part of the car.The turbo kick always pushes you back in your seat and is fun.I just love the short throw gearbox.But i find shifting from 4th to 5th a bit difficult.The shift feels rubbery.
sometimes i found it difficult to engage reverse but then i found out that pressing the clutch for a couple of seconds more engages reverse quite smoothly.
Driving in umper to bumper / slow moving traffic is a pain and you always have to shift to 1st as the torque in second gear is just too much.

7) Ride and handling : Iam just not happy with the ride quality.even the smallest of bumps or irregularities can be felt in the cabin.
Handling is what again brings a smile.Its sharp and the car can take corners at good speeds.
The maximum i have driven at is 140kmph on the bbay-pune expressway and the car felt quite stable. But generally iam a sedate driver and drive at 80-100kmph on highways but i do allow myself a occasional rush of blood.

8) Body work : Front passenger side door was dented due to a tavera in traffic.Decided to change the door itself as repainting and repair would have looked a shade different.
Wind shield was ssmashed due to coconut falling on it.
Both the jobs were done at the same time at Navneet motors,Thane and insurance claimed for the same.
The entire amount was 30k and i had to pay around 4.6k.

9)upgrades planned : Though the stock tyres are holding up nicely ( no complaints) i will go in for a tyre upgrade at around 15k.
Also wish to upgrade to stronger bulbs.
Want to fit rear head rests.I hope some accessoeries shop does it for me.

Lastly,after every visit to the service centre i recieved feed back forms by mail to be sent directly to gurgaon.
guys from servce station keep calling and pestering to give them the forms by just signing them and not filling them.In return they give you discount coupon worth 150 bucks valid only on labour charges.
Are other maruti owners experiancing the same too?
Old 6th November 2009, 16:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Great report on your DDIS. That national engine does belt out some awesome FE figures from the Swift. Its surprising that you found the handling good because the stock tyres on the LDi are quite skinny I have observed.

Do you have any rattling problems which Swift owners usually complain about?

Last edited by Dippy : 6th November 2009 at 16:56.
Old 6th November 2009, 17:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
sometimes i found it difficult to engage reverse but then i found out that pressing the clutch for a couple of seconds more engages reverse quite smoothly.

Lastly,after every visit to the service centre i recieved feed back forms by mail to be sent directly to gurgaon.
guys from servce station keep calling and pestering to give them the forms by just signing them and not filling them.In return they give you discount coupon worth 150 bucks valid only on labour charges.
Are other maruti owners experiancing the same too?
On another thread, Thad had mentioned a good remedy for the reverse gear problem, which I founds works for me - just release the clutch pedal and press it again. Reverse gear should engage smoothly this time.

I agree with the ride on bad roads - it's bumpy, but I prefer the quick dying down of the oscillations rather than bouncing around like in the old Zen. Man, the speedbreaking rumblers were a terror in the Zen

I did see during the first service that the service guy asked me to sign a blank feedback form. But I'll make sure that they will hear from me if something is not right!
Old 6th November 2009, 22:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Goody one more DDIS owner! Do keep updating on a regular basis.

and what only 150 bucks for our feedbacks, thats a cheap dealer. Tell him 1000 bucks
Old 6th November 2009, 22:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Great report on your DDIS. That national engine does belt out some awesome FE figures from the Swift. Its surprising that you found the handling good because the stock tyres on the LDi are quite skinny I have observed.

Do you have any rattling problems which Swift owners usually complain about?
thanx dippy..
Fortunately no rattles so far.
yup the stock tyres are skinny and do ask for a upgrade but till now i have had no problems with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Goody one more DDIS owner! Do keep updating on a regular basis.

and what only 150 bucks for our feedbacks, thats a cheap dealer. Tell him 1000 bucks
hehe...our feed backs are definitely more than that but its really degrading that some dealers are doing this.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th August 2010 at 17:22. Reason: Old posts, but merging consecutive ones anyway.
Old 24th December 2009, 00:17   #6
BHPian

A small update guys :

Got the third free servicing done today.
odo reading : 10,141kms
A/S/S : SPECTRA motors,thane.

Service experiance was better than what i experianced at navnit in my earlier two services.

1)oil and oil filter were changed
2) air filter cleaned
3) all fluids topped up.
4) all nuts and bolts tightened.
5) car washed and vaccumed and interiors polished.
6) A few digits on my number plate were gone.They were replaced

I asked them not to get the wheel alignment and balancing with tyre rotation done as i intend to get it done elsewhere at a lesser price.

details of bill :

1) element oil filter : Rs 334

2) screen wash concentrate : Rs 12

3) engine oil (3.1 lts of castrol gtx) : Rs 689

vat : Rs 129
total : Rs 1164
Old 24th December 2009, 10:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A small update guys :

1)oil and oil filter were changed
2) air filter cleaned
3) all fluids topped up.
4) all nuts and bolts tightened.
5) car washed and vaccumed and interiors polished.
6) A few digits on my number plate were gone.They were replaced

I asked them not to get the wheel alignment and balancing with tyre rotation done as i intend to get it done elsewhere at a lesser price.

details of bill :

1) element oil filter : Rs 334

2) screen wash concentrate : Rs 12

3) engine oil (3.1 lts of castrol gtx) : Rs 689

vat : Rs 129
total : Rs 1164
nice update on your ldi. i have done 9600 km since i got my car on 19 july 09 and have loved every on of those kms. but unlike you my rides have been mostly highway.

few comments. change of my tyres did make a big diference to ride and handling.
on 3rd service they normally change the drain plug but in your bill it does not reflect.
I thought castrol gtx is for petrols only??
did the turbo kick feel any better after the air filter cleaning? i plan on changing the air filter itself as i have been thru some very dusty conditions.
Old 24th December 2009, 16:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
nice update on your ldi. i have done 9600 km since i got my car on 19 july 09 and have loved every on of those kms. but unlike you my rides have been mostly highway.

few comments. change of my tyres did make a big diference to ride and handling.
on 3rd service they normally change the drain plug but in your bill it does not reflect.
I thought castrol gtx is for petrols only??
did the turbo kick feel any better after the air filter cleaning? i plan on changing the air filter itself as i have been thru some very dusty conditions.
I have not been yold anything regarding the drain plug by the service advisor.So not sure whether they changed it or not.
When i asked him regarding the oil used he only mentioned castrol.I presume it to be castrol gtx..
No difference in the Turbo kick but i feel the engine has become a bit smoother now.Even the diesel clatter has marginally reduced.
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

[quote=king_julian;1569300]On another thread, Thad had mentioned a good remedy for the reverse gear problem, which I founds works for me - just release the clutch pedal and press it again. Reverse gear should engage smoothly this time.

Sometimes the reverse gear gives problem. To get rid of this problem better have the double clutch approach. Once it seems not falling in place once again clutch it will sit in its place smoothly.
Old 5th February 2010, 16:26   #10
BHPian

Yeah Navan,you are right about that.Did try that out.

guys..beige was getting too difficult to maintain so got her dressed in black this time.Though the cabin looks dark now its easier to maintain.Will put up pics by tomorrow.

Mileage update : Got 14.66 in my last tankfull to tankfull. This is with 70% city driving in bumper to bumper scenario with 100% A/C switched on.
Old 12th June 2010, 15:59   #11
BHPian

16000 kms done

Hi everybody

Just completed 16k kms in 13 months.
Now that seems too less compared to some guys like mandeep on this forum and few might even say that WHY A DIESEL??
Well when i decided to sell off my petra 1.6 i took test drive of the petrol swift and i didnt like the performance compared to the 1.6 fiat engine.Now when you sell your car you always want something better than your old car.The diesel swift promised that kind of performance and so i went for it.
The savings in fuel bills are great too!
Will manage to break even in another couple of years i guess.

PERFORMANCE : performance has been exciting.The turbo does set your adrenaline racing.

FUEL ECONOMY : My last drive to mahabaleshwar and back gave me a figure of 17 kmpl.satisfying.

SERVICINGS : maruti doesnt advise the 15k kms service but neverthe less i got it done at spectra motors thane.Just regular serivicing was done minus the oil and filter change.

TROUBLES : The horn keeps conking off and needs to be repaired every couple of months.
Iv just lost a wheel cap.Dunno when and where.
Fortunately no annoying rattles so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift DDiS Ldi : long term report - 35k service done-2a.jpg  

Swift DDiS Ldi : long term report - 35k service done-image017.jpg  

Swift DDiS Ldi : long term report - 35k service done-image018.jpg  

Swift DDiS Ldi : long term report - 35k service done-image021.jpg  

Swift DDiS Ldi : long term report - 35k service done-image022..jpg  

Swift DDiS Ldi : long term report - 35k service done-image023.jpg  

Swift DDiS Ldi : long term report - 35k service done-image024..jpg  

Swift DDiS Ldi : long term report - 35k service done-image025..jpg  

Swift DDiS Ldi : long term report - 35k service done-image026..jpg  

Swift DDiS Ldi : long term report - 35k service done-image034.jpg  

Old 26th June 2010, 18:07   #12
BHPian

Had some excitement yesterday.
After i started the car in the morning i found out that the malfunction indicator light on the dashboard wouldnt go.
Immediately i went to spectra motors.The SA there fitted the suzuki scan unit and immediately found the culprit.The map sensor wire was Nibbled through by a rat.
They tried a lot to remove the stuck end of the wire from inside the coupler for almost 2 hours but with out luck.Then the entire wiring harness along with the coupler was changed.Was charged Rs 160 for the same and was advised to place pouches of tobacco ( om pudi) inside the bonnet and make holes in the pouches.Smell of tobacco acts as repellent to rats.
Old 16th August 2010, 16:55   #13
BHPian

A small update

Upgraded my tyres to 185-70-r14
Went for yokohama a-drives on stock rims.
Price per tyre : Rs 3550
total : Rs 14200

buy back for 3 old tyres + 1 un used stephny : 3500

effective price for 4 tyres : 10700
Also got wheel alignment and balancing as complimentary.

Can immediately feel the difference in ride qualaity and ride comfort. It is significantly better than my stock tyres.
Tyre noise has drastically reduced too.
Old 16th August 2010, 20:51   #14
BHPian

Swift D rocks. What is the name of the color which your one dons? I have seen quite less swifts with that color.
Old 16th August 2010, 21:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A small update

Upgraded my tyres to 185-70-r14
Went for yokohama a-drives on stock rims.

Can immediately feel the difference in ride qualaity and ride comfort. It is significantly better than my stock tyres.
Tyre noise has drastically reduced too.
I did the same when my JKs were 500 kms old. best 8000/- I paid. Superb VFM.

As far as rats go the tobacco pouch in the engine compartmrnt has worked for me so far.

done 15K in last 13 months, plan to replace oil, oil filter and air filter now.

the turbo boost at 2K rpm is exciting to say the least. love it.

My FE has been 18 in city and 23 on highway consistently. ac on all the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks