Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 17:56   #1
BHPian

Long Term Ownership Report - WagonR Duo Lxi - 3 Years, 35000KM Report

Do I need a Car? What Car?

Company declared car lease policy. Though I didnt need a car then, I decided to buy one just for the IT benefits associated with it. Now the question is, What Car?

Talked to friends and colleagues. Browsed internet. Atlast the Car was selected - WagonR. Opinion of colleagues, cost and mileage were the key parameters in selecting the WagonR. Due to the "percieved" increase in usage, I decided to go for the Duo option. Agreement was signed with company on Nov 2006 for a Silky Silver Maruti Suzuki WagonR Duo Lxi.

Payment was made on first week of November 2006 to M/s Indus Motors, EKM. Ex showroom prize of the car was Rs 367994.00. Road tax, insurence etc were paid by the company.

Buying experience

Got call from Indus that the car will be ready to delivered on Dec2. Delivery procedure was ok. I upgraded tyres to 165-65-13 tubeless Bridgestones from the showroom itself. No feebies were offered as the Duo was selling like hot cakes then. Accessories fitted from showroom were foot mat, under body coating, Teflon coating and wheel cover. The total cost for the accessories including tyre upgrade was Rs11800.00. No PDI was done by me as I was not a member of T-Bhp then.

The entire delivery procedure took around 4 hours and I drove out of showroom by 4PM. I call him "The Waggie"

The Waggie - Then

Long Term Ownership Report - WagonR Duo Lxi - 3 Years, 35000KM Report-1.jpg

First service

First service was done at Indus Motors, Kannur by 16th Dec. The car had run 1064KMs by then. There was a minor "issue" - the gear tightness. Service advisor told me that it was due to new car and gear box of wagonr is slightly tight. I accepted his opinion and drove off. Charges - NIL

Second service

Second service of the Waggie was done by end of March 2007 at 5098 KMs. Some minor works like caliper pin greasing, front drive shaft assy greasing etc were done FOC. Wheel balancing was done for Rs 200.00. Total bill Rs 224.48, including taxes.

BOOM BOOM sound from engine bay

Around 6500 KMs, I started hearing this BOOM sound from engine, when run on LPG, as some thing was exploding in engine bay. I opened the bonnet, in close examination it was found that the sound came from sudden opening of airfilter cover during running. Took it to the service station and the guys told that issue was due to water seepage into spark plug assy. The water seepage happened when i gave the car for water wash. I service advisor told to avoid high pressure water wash in engine bay as LPG is very sensitive to moisture. There after I had given The Waggie for full water service only at Authorized Maruti service stations. No more BOOM BOOM. Total cost of cleaning spark plug and some bolts were Rs 287.00

In between The Waggie was modified with ICE, Alloy Wheels, Side beeder, Head light upgrade, fog lamp and sunfilm. Total cost for all the modifications was around Rs26280.00

Third service

The Waggie's 3rd service was done at 10454KMs on Sept 2007. Engine oil, gas filter and oil filter was changed for the first time. Gas filter cost was 258.00. Total cost was 1090.00. I did wheel balancing, rotation and alignment outside.

10,000KMs to 20,000KM

Uneventful drive from 10000 KM to 20000 KM. Had a single visit to servicestation for fixing steering tightness, sound from streeing rod etc which was rectified. Bill Rs 383.00. Wheel rotation and alignment was done every 5000KMs.

Fourth service

20000KM service was done at 20450 KM on June08. Engine oil, oil filter, gas filter, gear oil,etc were changed. Carbon cleaning and injector cleaning were done. Also some minor parts were changed. Total bill was Rs 5890.00.

20,000KM to 30,000KM

One visit to service station for Ignition coil R&R between 20000KM and 30000KM. Cost Rs 120.00.

Fifth service

Fifth service at 29100KMs on March 09. Service was done as per schedule and cost was Rs 3530. Materials changed were engine oil, oil filter, air filter (on request) , gas filter, brake fluid, and some minor repair works.

These days

After around 32000KMs, The Waggie began to stall in when we dont press the accelerator in LPG. I took him to Sarathy motors, Kollam and they said the gas vaporiser have to be changed but for the moment cleaning would do. As it was not a quickly available part i asked them to clean it. Did it twice but didnt clear the issue. Total cost for cleaning it twice ( Once in Sarathy Kollam and once in Har Kannur) was around Rs 1100.00

Later I asked them to order the Gas Vapourizer, and its cost with labour was around Rs 2374.00. No issues after that.

My Waggie will cross 35000Kms this week and going fine.

Total Ltrs of Petrol filled - 423.22 L
Total Ltrs of Gas filled - 2906.74 L
KMs run - 34980
Mileage 10.5KMs/L with 100% AC 60% City 40% Highway
Total cost for fuel -Rs 105800.32
Running exp - Rs 3.02 per KM
Total maintenance exp - Rs 17374.00
Net running cost per KM - Rs 3.52 per KM

Some issues with DUO
1) Upgradation of tyres is a must
2) LPG should be easily available in your city
3) Most of the service station guys done have any idea about LPG system. You have to specifically ask them to change gas filter every 10000KMs.
4) Vapourizer diaphram have to be changed at 30000KMs though manual says 40000KM
5) WagonR is designed for City use. I feel that drive above 80KM/hr is too risky.
6) No space in boot.

To sum it up - If you have 50 Km in city drive every day, were availability of auto LPG is not an issue and boot is not a must, go ahead and buy it if your budget is around 4L, IMO.

The Waggie,NOW!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Long Term Ownership Report - WagonR Duo Lxi - 3 Years, 35000KM Report-img_0700.jpg  

Old 20th November 2009, 18:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

onthe road,

Good review, my wagon R duo has done about 25000 kms. Had few issues with lpg system but nothing major. Looking forward to many more miles from this car!
Old 20th November 2009, 19:02   #3
BHPian

Good writeup.

My waggie VXi (with dealer fitted genuine maruti LPG kit) has done about 36500 kms in just under 3 yrs. I just dropped it in for fixing some problems and this review of yours has inspired me to write a review too once I get it back.

Good point about the vaporizer diaphram. I havent changed it yet and not faced a problem with it too. But now I know whats the problem if such behaviour occurs!
Old 20th November 2009, 20:46   #4
BHPian

can u tell whats the FE u get on petrol and on LPG?
Old 21st November 2009, 14:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

ontheroad, what you have experienced and described is exactly what WagonR is meant to be,good city car, easy to drive as well as maintain.Whats the FE while running on LPG do share.Some of her interiors and alloys pictures awaited.
Old 21st November 2009, 14:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Extremely detailed report on the Waggie ontheroad. How noticeable is the difference in performance when you drive in either petrol or LPG mode? Maruti have done a smart job incorporating the LPG tank in the boot but that leaves the spare tyre in the open. Can you tell us more on the gas filter that is changed during services?

Keep adding the kms and update this thread as you go along.
Old 21st November 2009, 19:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
onthe road,

Good review, my wagon R duo has done about 25000 kms. Had
Thanks, Vinod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Good writeup.

My waggie VXi (with dealer fitted genuine maruti LPG kit) has done about 36500 kms in just under 3 yrs.
Thanks, gomzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
can u tell whats the FE u get on petrol and on LPG?
subscrive, I have not checked mileage in Petrol mode as I mostly drive in Auto mode in LPG. In 100% AC, City usage will give you 10km/litre in gas. In highway with 100% AC its around 11.5KM/Ltr of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
ontheroad, what you have experienced and described is exactly what WagonR is meant to be,good city car, easy to drive as well as maintain.Whats the FE while running on LPG do share.Some of her interiors and alloys pictures awaited.
Vijay, Mileage details given in above post. Alloy pics are already updated in the " Alloy wheel show off thread "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Extremely detailed report on the Waggie ontheroad. How noticeable is the difference in performance when you drive in either petrol or LPG mode? Maruti have done a smart job incorporating the LPG tank in the boot but that leaves the spare tyre in the open. Can you tell us more on the gas filter that is changed during services?

Keep adding the kms and update this thread as you go along.
Thanks Dippy.

In City we won't feel any difference in LPG and Petrol.
In highway, in 50, 60 KM/hr constant speeds lpg is ok. Overtaking is dangerous in two lane roads in LPG. Have to switch off AC.

The correct technical name of gas filter is " Filter kit, Gas solenoid ", and part number is 99000M24120-609 and it costs Rs 290.67 including VAT.

I think its purpose is to filter the unwanted materials in LPG. It should be changed in every 10000KMs as per the additional LPG manual we get along with the DUO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks