Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 15:22   #1
BHPian

Peted Swift after 60,000 kms

Its been exactly 2.5 years and 60k kms that I have been using a pete'd swift with some other minor mods.
After using it for such a long time, I thought, why not share my experience with all of you.

Since the day I got the car, I have made it a point to keep it properly serviced at every 10k kms.
A brief history about the car,

1) Installed Green Cotton Wind filter after 10k kms
2) switched to Fully synthetic 5W40 engine oil after 10k kms
3) Replaced stock rotors to Tarox G88 slotted rotors at 40k kms
4) Installed Pete's box at around 25k kms.
5) Currently using 15" Lenso alloys with Michelin PP2 195/55/R15 tires.

Before I gave the car for the 60k kms service, I had experienced that even with the Pete's box and CAI, it had become extremely sluggish. I have 2 filters so that I can quickly replace the dirty one with the cleaned one so that I don't have to wait till it dries and all.
Cleaning filter also didn't help.
Although its not needed at 60k kms, we still went ahead and cleaned the injectors from an authorized Bosch service center who had the necessary machine for calibrating and servicing CRDi parts.
This time around I wanted to try out OWS products since I had heard so much praise from fellow BHPians and also from Peter.
So I ordered the following stuff,

1) OWS Turbo Racing synthetic engine oil ( Supposedly it is specially made for turbocharged applications)
2) OWS Engine flush
3) OWS Gas treat meant liquid ( To be added to fuel tank, apparently it cleans the fuel lines)
4) OWS Engine protector liquid ( Supposed to form a film or layer of sorts on the moving parts so that the friction is slightly reduced and improves the life of the parts,Thats what it says,don't know whether its true or not)

Once we got the injectors from the service center, we installed them and did the other stuff like changing engine oil, changing fuel filter, replacing gear oil (was changed at 40k kms but still In insisted on changing it), adding the additives to engine oil and fuel tank.

Then it was time to crank it up. The first thing we noticed after starting it, the engine noise had become much smoother, the cluttering had reduced, it was as if it was breathing freely and effortlessly.
During the trial, we noticed that it was revving much more freely than before, it had regained its lost aggression again, it felt much more eager, torque had improved, in gear acceleration was much better.
Overall it felt the same as it did when she was new. I wouldn't say that there was increase in Power and Torque because that would be theoretically impossible but yes, I would say that whatever loss of power and torque was there before was nullified.
Since I was using lower profile and wider tires compared to stock ones, my suspension had started showing signs of weakening so replaced the shocks and retained to old springs during this service.After this, the car has become much more stable and not bouncy as it had become before.

Its almost 70k kms now and the car has gone for service. I will be changing the clutch this time since its overdue. I have abused it a lot, with numerous 0-100 dashes and all.Hehe

This is not exactly an ownership report but more of sharing my experience, observations which I thought would help others here.

Thanks,
Drive Safe!
Old 28th December 2009, 16:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Nice update Amey, did you check the power and stuff with or without the box?
Old 28th December 2009, 17:44   #3
aZa
Senior - BHPian

This is nice ... congrats amey! Over here two of my friends tried out petes in DDiS and they had some issues with the turbo blowing up. But with you driving the car for a good 40K kms with petes it shows the box doesn't really do much harm to the engine while providing good power up!

Quote:
Fully synthetic 5W40 engine oil
is this DDiS specific or turbo diesel spec? and which brand ? what about rotors and OWS oils ?
Old 28th December 2009, 18:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
is this DDiS specific or turbo diesel spec? and which brand ? what about rotors and OWS oils ?
Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
1) OWS Turbo Racing synthetic engine oil ( Supposedly it is specially made for turbocharged applications)

Hope that helps, its a synthetic oil from OWS for turbo diesel engines.
Old 29th December 2009, 00:11   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu : Amey has tried OWS at the 60K service, but he is using the 5W40 oil since 10K ... thats the oil i was asking about!

I also wanted to know the cost for the rotors and ows oils!
Old 29th December 2009, 02:50   #6
BHPian

Nice update amey, I remember Riding in with you. It Really had that "Punch" 2 years ago.
Sumit this side btw.
Old 29th December 2009, 10:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

Looking at the oil spec it should be mobil 1, not really the best choice for diesel turbo's. OWS on the other hand is a diesel spec oil.
Old 29th December 2009, 10:28   #8
BHPian

nice writeup amey.the writeup brings out how much you care for your ride.
i had two queries-although not related to engine and syn oils.1) why 195/55 isnt that wrong upsize for swift,i am sure you must have thought about it before going in?
2)whats the current reading of your tires,as in how much have you clocked with them?any issues with pp2 till now?
OWS?is it available in India or did you import it?
Old 29th December 2009, 10:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

aZa, just for engines with Pete's? I doubt. IMHO, MASS people don't know ABCD of the engine and any issue that rises should be coz of their ignorance.

Amey; appreciate the review. Can you also post how much these cost?
And Stage 2?
Old 29th December 2009, 10:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
No its not ddis specific.Its specific for any turbo application irrespective of whether its petrol or diesel IIRC.

Tarox Rotors - 22k for a pair
OWS Engine oil 4Lts. - ~5.7k shipped from chennai to my place.

Quote:
Jaggu : Amey has tried OWS at the 60K service, but he is using the 5W40 oil since 10K ... thats the oil i was asking about!
I used Mobil 1 before I shifted to OWS.

Quote:
1) why 195/55 isnt that wrong upsize for swift,i am sure you must have thought about it before going in?
I am aware of that. Earlier I had 195/60/R15 Michelin Pilot Primacy but unfortunately they arent available anymore.
Michelin PP2, Yoko Sdrive/Advan Neova/Conti Sport dont come in 195/60/R15. So I had no choice but to go for PP2 since I have used them before. I know about the speedo error and all but what can I do.
I definitely didnt want Michelin Energy XM1, Yoko A Drive and all.

Quote:
2)whats the current reading of your tires,as in how much have you clocked with them?any issues with pp2 till now?
OWS?is it available in India or did you import it?
I changed my tires at 50k so they have run ~ 20k now.No issues till date.
I have 195/50/R15 PP2 on my Getz, even they have run 20k Kms without any issue.
OWS is imported and distributed in India by Speedwork,chennai.

@ JKdas,
Thanks man, stage 2 ! Dont think I have that kind of moolah so wont be doing it. I am happy with the way she works right now.

@ Bumble beast,
Thanks man
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Amey whats the update after clutch upgrade?
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

You could have gone in for 205/55 R15 PP2s.
Old 2nd February 2010, 21:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Its been exactly 2.5 years and 60k kms that I have been using a pete'd swift with some other minor mods.
After using it for such a long time, I thought, why not share my experience with all of you.

Thanks,
Drive Safe!
thanks for the info amey...where were you earlier? i think you were also busy notching up the miles like me.
Will keep these points in mind when my next car reaches these figures.
keep up the good work
Old 10th February 2010, 12:08   #14
BHPian

Update: Replaced Green Cotton Wind --> Green Cotton Storm

I guess the pics are pretty much self explanatory.
Attached Thumbnails
Peted Swift after 60,000 kms-img_3359.jpg  

Peted Swift after 60,000 kms-img_3360.jpg  

Peted Swift after 60,000 kms-img_3361.jpg  

Peted Swift after 60,000 kms-img_3367.jpg  

Peted Swift after 60,000 kms-img_3368.jpg  

Peted Swift after 60,000 kms-img_3369.jpg  

Peted Swift after 60,000 kms-img_3371.jpg  

Peted Swift after 60,000 kms-img_3372.jpg  

Peted Swift after 60,000 kms-img_3373.jpg  

Old 10th February 2010, 12:18   #15
Senior - BHPian