Team-BHP - Reclaiming life - My Tata Safari TCIC. 13 years, 1,23,000 kms and counting
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Reclaiming life - My Tata Safari TCIC. 13 years, 1,23,000 kms and counting (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/72839-reclaiming-life-my-tata-safari-tcic-13-years-1-23-000-kms-counting-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumannandy (Post 3621764)
Dear all,

I own a 2000 4x4 Tata Safari. Recently the wiring harness got messed up leading to random sparks, relay sound etc. The car was taken to Aadya motors and they are refusing to help stating wiring harness and other parts are not supplied by Tata any more. If I cannot get this rectified I would not be able to use the car as it is a wiring problem. Please help.

Suman,

Your wiring is now 15 years old. Am pretty sure it's worn out, especially knowing the quality of components that Tata uses.

Don't know if it helps, but here's what I did. Needed to replace the wiring harness of my '97 Jeep. The Classic, as we know, has been discontinued since a long time. We looked for a Mahindra vehicle that was the closest to the Classic, and zeroed in on the Mahindra Major. Took its wiring harness, and did some custom work wherever required. 5 years up and no issues at all :)

Look at the Tata vehicle that is closest to your Safari and start from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumannandy (Post 3622073)
The wiring harness in question is the one that connects all four power windows and the remote fuel kid opener

Thankfully it is not main wiring harness then and not a big issue. Usually the word wiring harness is reserved for wiring harness in engine bay ( fuel pump + injectors + ECU etc).

Power-window in Safari is from Minda. No need to go to local electrician find contact of Minda Service engineer in 2.2 Dicor thread it is somewhere there. Or else go to concord Kudlu gate and talk to Mr. Prem there he can guide you to Minda.

I have a TCIC and have been able to order parts from Sunco Motors Mumbai. They have found me stuff I was struggling to find locally.

Here you go:
Sunco Motors

Cheers,
Adi

Sorry for the noob question:

How fifteenth is the wiring harness for the power windows and the fuel lid opener when compared to the Older Safari and the Storme?

Can't the Storme's one be used?

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3622341)
Sorry for the noob question:

How fifteenth is the wiring harness for the power windows and the fuel lid opener when compared to the Older Safari and the Storme?

Can't the Storme's one be used?

http://www.99rpm.com/tata/wiring-har...or-safari.html

I think this one should work , In TCIC and Pre-facelift dicor there was a door ajar indicator and puddle light.

In 2009+ Safari Dicor the indicator lights were removed probably to cut costs. In Storm also these lights are missing.

Update on my issue.

Within hours of posting in team-bhp and sending the link, I got a call from Tata Regional Manager Mr. Abhishek, who spoke to the dealer and asked them to sort it out. He asked them to get in touch with me with a final estimate by yesterday evening in consultation with some Mr. Rupesh, but nothing happened, and my calls to the dealer are not answered.

Aadya Motors CRM (Mr. Shekhar?) says the car is not safe to drive otherwise while his service advisor Mr. Anil says that the car could be driven safely without power windows working and there is no problem in engine wiring.

It seems that some wire for the power window circuit is not connected properly, all they need to do is thoroughly check the circuit, but the CRM is arrogant to not let this happen. He says that he knows that it would not work and he does not want his guys to waste their time on it.

Help please!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeva (Post 3622099)
Suman,
Tata Authorized service centers are good for nothing, at-least here in Bangalore.

Sent you a PM.
Please check.

Thank you, will speak to them today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercedised (Post 3621947)
Can you tell which wiring harness is at fault. Wiring harness canbe repaired outside by a good electrician. I have done it and got it done for others several times. Indeed, we made (some old dude came to me asking for my mechanic) a new wiring harness for a Indigo Dicor as the owner was reluctant to buy new for mere 9500 Rs. I have sent a PM to you.

I think did not get your PM, could you please resend it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3622150)
Suman,

Your wiring is now 15 years old. Am pretty sure it's worn out, especially knowing the quality of components that Tata uses.

Don't know if it helps, but here's what I did. Needed to replace the wiring harness of my '97 Jeep. The Classic, as we know, has been discontinued since a long time. We looked for a Mahindra vehicle that was the closest to the Classic, and zeroed in on the Mahindra Major. Took its wiring harness, and did some custom work wherever required. 5 years up and no issues at all :)

Look at the Tata vehicle that is closest to your Safari and start from there.

Any pointers on which vehicle currently in production will have the closest setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 3622155)
Thankfully it is not main wiring harness then and not a big issue. Usually the word wiring harness is reserved for wiring harness in engine bay ( fuel pump + injectors + ECU etc).

Power-window in Safari is from Minda. No need to go to local electrician find contact of Minda Service engineer in 2.2 Dicor thread it is somewhere there. Or else go to concord Kudlu gate and talk to Mr. Prem there he can guide you to Minda.

Will talk to Mr. Prem today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumannandy (Post 3622706)
Within hours of posting in team-bhp and sending the link, I got a call from Tata Regional Manager Mr. Abhishek, who spoke to the dealer and asked them to sort it out. He asked them to get in touch with me with a final estimate by yesterday evening in consultation with some Mr. Rupesh, but nothing happened, and my calls to the dealer are not answered.

Aadya Motors CRM (Mr. Shekhar?) says the car is not safe to drive otherwise while his service advisor Mr. Anil says that the car could be driven safely without power windows working and there is no problem in engine wiring.

It seems that some wire for the power window circuit is not connected properly, all they need to do is thoroughly check the circuit, but the CRM is arrogant to not let this happen. He says that he knows that it would not work and he does not want his guys to waste their time on it.

What a CRM! :Frustrati

No wonder Tata and their customer acceptance + relations are getting bashed in the day light but I see no improvement whatsoever! How can one say that he is not interested to look at the car and sort out the issue/let his men work on your car.

If things don't work why don't you buy the harness and get it done at an FNG?!

Quote:

Within hours of posting in team-bhp and sending the link, I got a call from Tata Regional Manager Mr. Abhishek, who spoke to the dealer and asked them to sort it out.

Clearly, they want to help. Culprit is the dealer.

Quote:

Motors CRM (Mr. Shekhar?) says the car is not safe to drive ... but the CRM is arrogant to not let this happen. He says that he knows that it would not work and he does not want his guys to waste their time on it.

Apprise TML of this and ask them to find you another 'competent' dealer. No point wasting your time with Aadya.

If it still doesn't work out, try an FNG.

Sumannandy, kudos for hanging on to the TCIC and pumping life into it.

Your patience and hard work and of course the money you have put into it, needs to be shared with other members to learn from your experience.

This thread is worthless without photos

The TCIC power windows wiring was different for LX and EX itself due to EX having all four window controls on both front windows for a while. The 3.0 harness would be closest as interior changes like indicator lamp happened later.

The existing harness can be repaired but generally not at the Authorized centre.

Changing service centre with TATA in loop would be good.

Sunco in Mumbai is good for such sourcing.

The power window switches itself changed in later models so did the sockets. A later version wiring will work but sockets will have to be cut and existing sockets used.

Suggest that if basic efforts don't work you sell of the vehicle in as is condition and buy a used 2.2 dicor for possibly an additional sum of 2-3 L

Aadya motors have provided an estimate of 1,20,000 to resolve power windows problem for one window. See attached. None of them are related to power window though. Without investigating, they want us to change entire wiring harness for engine and cabin, thereby dashboard, four power windows, all doorpad.

Contacted Karnataka Auto electricals, hopefully they should be able to resolve it.

You might have to do that sooner or later in any case. However get it done by a third party, as you are going to do.

As they pointed out earlier, the wiring harness for that model of car just isn't available any longer so you may have to scrounge for alternatives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumannandy (Post 3623619)
Aadya motors have provided an estimate of 1,20,000 to resolve power windows problem for one window.

This is insane and estimation done by a total idiot , What exactly power windows has to do with door pad , Engine wiring harness , speedometer cable etc.

Their plan seems to update all wires and connectors including door pads , switches , cluster and engine wiring harness with latest model in that case how the dicor engine harness can fit in to TCIC where you don't have CR injectors and HP CR pump ?

Did you check with Concord on Begur road or Prerna on Hosur Road ? In my opinion Concord has most competent people followed by Prerna and KHT.

Yes it does not make sense. Unfortunately Tata Motors does not want to send engineers to investigate specific details or alternatives, he is more keen to get his hands washed off from the complaint and close it. Really unfortunate, the helping attitude that I received earlier is no more there apparently. Will take the car to Concorde once I am back. Otherwise will look for independent options such as Karnataka Auto Electricals.

AFAIK, auto companies are legally obliged to keep parts in stock till 12 years after the discontinuance of sale of the vehicle.

If possible, contact the higher management in KHT, maybe they can help source the specific part. The mail ID of the Managing Director is displayed on the billing counter, alternatively, the Facebook page may provide you with the same.

P.S. : Kindly ignore if Karnataka Auto Electricals has already resolved the issue.