Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 13:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
@samsag12-I just got a few interior pics. will take more surely and upload them.
Attachment 281204
Attachment 281208
The front seats appear very shiny in these pics, but actually its not so bright! Actually, looking it through our naked eyes, it looks great.
Attachment 281207
This is the amount of dust that accumulates on the roof just in a single day!( we live close to a main road, where lots of trucks travel towards the bypass and the road is in a very bad condition too. So i guess these are the culprits!)
Attachment 281206Attachment 281205
Hey freakmuzik lovely interiors i must say. Very neat and clean from inside as compared to the reason you stated for the dust which accumulates on the car's body. Get yourself a new Indigo car cover from any accessory shop as it fits almost perfect. I use an esteem one but due to the height it does not covers 2" of the car body from side.
please upload some engine bay photos. BTW as stated by Lucas_2007 does the AC unit still works in your car ?
Old 5th February 2010, 16:26   #17
BHPian

@lucas 2007
@samsag12
The A/c is in excellent condition. It chills the cabin very quickly, even way better than some of the new gen cars. We refill the gas and service it regularly and luckily we have a very good person to repair the a/c.

@arun 1100- Wow, gr8 and all the best for the venture. Please do post the link once you start the thread. we are also planning a restoration for our car. So i will post a new thread for that and will surely post the link! :-)
Old 6th February 2010, 23:19   #18
BHPian

PART 3:

..So at puttaparthi, everything went well. We had a good darsan and my mom’s concert was good. Altogether everything went well. After everything got over there, we started our journey back. The travel was pretty good as we understood the route well and the car was behaving in an excellent manner. We reached home by around 7 PM. So altogether, our car did not trouble us anywhere at anytime. We sort of developed a personal relationship with her. We started feeling that our fiat too is some sort of a living creature, with its own heart, mind and soul.

And it was after this trip that I started bugging my dad to teach me driving (I was in 3rd or 4th standard that time!!). And finally he agreed. That Sunday, he took me with him in our fiat to an empty road and first asked me to just hold the steering and steer the vehicle. When I did this, he was convinced that I had at least a bit of sense about driving. So next he told me what the accelerator is for and how to use the clutch and all, like for around 20-30 minutes! Then he took his briefcase, put it on the driver seat and asked me to sit on it (I was too short to have a good view of the road!! ). I sat in there, and wow, what a wonderful feeling it was. My car being driven by me for the first time!

I started the car. Gr..gr…it did not start! So tried once more and it came to life. Slowly pressed the clutch put the first gear and then released the clutch slowly and there moves the car! I had a mile long smile on my face! After this, my dad used to make me drive once in a month or so.

On a bright sunny morning, my dad took the car to his office. And when he came back home he said that there was some weird noise coming from the engine bay. So next day my dad and me took the car out and I too noticed the difference in the engine sound. So we headed straight to our mechanic, Mr.Mahesh. After he checked he told us that one of the cylinders was malfunctioning and engine re boring had to be done! My heart halted for a second and my eyes were filled with tears (I was still a small child). So that day itself we gave the car to the mechanic and he promised to give it back in around a weeks time.

Mr.Mahesh was actually an electrician himself and there was an other person who dealt with engine works and all. He was the one who did the engine work. After one and a half weeks, the informed us that the car was ready and we happily fled to the workshop. When we reached there, we were extremely happy to see our car working well.
But there was something disastrous that awaited us. After a few days of use, the engine was extremely rigid and the temperature gauge showed us readings that we have never witnessed in our lives! And our car surely was not fit.

We called the mechanic and took the car back. He inspected the engine and told us that the work has to be done again there was something wrong with the new cylinder head and the piston (I don’t exactly remember, sorry). This shocked us. Another engine work on a newly repaired engine? But this time mr. mahesh told us that he would bare all the expenses as it was their fault and that he would repair the engine himself (he is an electrician but later we understood that he was better in this than in electrical work!). After he finished the work, we took the car and everything seemed perfect. We never raised her and the maximum speed we went was 40. After a month's use, the engine became butter smooth, giving us astonishing efficiency figures of 20+ in the highway. There was no overheating or anything we felt that the car was better than its original condition. Thanks to Mr. Mahesh.
(In remembrance of our car, he has still kept with him 2 bumpers of our car!

It was somewhat around that time that we decided to shift to Trivandrum. I felt really sad and was damn depressed. I used to love this city so much. But there was no other way. So in march 2003, my mom and the others in my house shifted to Trivandrum. But both of us, my dad and me, stayed In Chennai for some more time. My dad had some more works to be completed and all. When we started talking about moving the car to Trivandrum, we decided that we would drive it and take it to Trivandrum. So our mechanic, Mahesh, accompanied us. We decided to travel via coimbatore-thrissur-eranakulam-kottayam-trivandrum, as we had to meet our relatives at these places. Mahesh did not allow my dad to drive till thrissur .lol. He was so mad about cars. And the way he drives, wow, awesome. He just showed me how a fiat is to be driven. He frequently touched 120 and the car was really fit for the job. He went back to Bangalore from thrissur and my dad and me took the car to Trivandrum. The journey was just magnificent. We covered more than 900 kms in less than one and a half days (we had an overnight stay at thrissur). I can never forget that journey. …..(to be continued)
Old 12th February 2010, 13:11   #19
BHPian

Hello everyone,
After so much of running for the last 1 or 2 weeks, my car suddenly refused to start yesterday and the culprit - "BATTERY". So going to change the battery today. Have not yet decided which battery to choose. Will update the details later.
thank you
Old 12th February 2010, 13:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So going to change the battery today. Have not yet decided which battery to choose. Will update the details later.
thank you
Buy AMARON. Expensive, but worth it.
Old 13th February 2010, 10:32   #21
BHPian

@arun1100
Lots of people suggested amaron, but thats the battery we were using and my dad was not so satisfied with its performance.

We have now bought BOSCH with 2 years warranty. Its price is rs.4400(without exchanging our old battery). Hope it lasts well.
Thanks
Old 21st March 2010, 11:46   #22
BHPian

hi

hello everyone, its been a long time since I updated the thread.

There was a lot of rusting around the door beading and the foot board of the driver was completely gone! A hard foot on it could result in a complete shackle!! All these were rectified. It took the mechanic around a week to complete all these stuff.

The total cost for all these repairs was 9000 !
We have not done the painting for these regions as of now because the painter at this particular workshop is not good. So the painting work is to be done! hope to get it done soon. will upload the pics asap.

thank you
Old 22nd March 2010, 08:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hello everyone, its been a long time since I updated the thread.

There was a lot of rusting around the door beading and the foot board of the driver was completely gone! A hard foot on it could result in a complete shackle!! All these were rectified. It took the mechanic around a week to complete all these stuff.

The total cost for all these repairs was 9000 !
We have not done the painting for these regions as of now because the painter at this particular workshop is not good. So the painting work is to be done! hope to get it done soon. will upload the pics asap.

thank you
First of all welcome back on this thread. The rust issue is a common problem with fiats/PP. And the most affected parts are underside of body as they are seldom cleaned. Its good that you got the rust problem rectified before it got worse. But only for welding you paid 9000Rs. Thats too much. Its seems you got the whole floorboard replaced. Do get the underbody parts of car treated with some pitching agent/ antirust ASAP.
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:30   #24
BHPian

@samsag12

The driver floorboard, running board were replaced. The total amount also includes the work done on all the four doors. The joints were having a lot of rust. The painting is yet to be done. Will do the under body coating when the painting starts.

The thing is our car is in an overall OK condition right now. We have a fitness test scheduled for 2012 march. So we want to do a complete repair before that. But doing that work now will not be good as 2 years down the line, some work again has to be done to appear for the fitness test. Do not misunderstand that i care little for the car. Actually i care a lot for the car. Hope the pics posted convey that! :-D. I have even made a huge list of work( as much as a 16 year old can!! :-p) that has to be done during the repair! lol :-D. So hoping to make a good decision.

thanks
Old 3rd April 2010, 09:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

So you are getting some minor work done on your car. Good to see this as many people tend to do a ground up restoration and don't carry this type of minor repair. Its a well planned agenda to get the car restored just before the fitness test. Guess it will pass the test with out letting you bribe the officer.. Anyways do share some latest pics.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:18   #26
BHPian

@samsag12 - Actually, the car is very neat and well kept and is working well too (touchwood!). It can easily pass the fitness test now! But, i am so attached to this car that i want it to be in mint condition always! I will be finishing my 12th next year, so i will be able to actively participate in the car restoration work! That is the main reason behind it! lol
Old 26th August 2010, 18:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hey Freakmuzik just came across one of your post stating that you are selling your padmini. Whats the update on that. I hope you retain the car else you would regret this decision later. BTW your car can fetch around 18-20K if all the papers are in order. But i would request you not to sell the car.
Old 27th August 2010, 00:07   #28
BHPian

@samsag: I am not planning to sell my padmini. Dad had thoughts of selling it as it had been giving troubles for some months. But totally stood against it and fought and atlast won the battle. So not going to give away the car. And, there is a new problem here. One of the cylinders is experiencing a mal-firing. And there are traces of oil on that particular spark plug, which is the reason for the cylinder not firing. And the mechanic told us that the engine needs to be opened and the gasket and some other stuff had to be changed. We are waiting to get someother mechanic with whom we will be able to cross-check. We had paid hefty bills to this guy in the past few months facing some problems. And any t-bhp'ians from trivandrum, please help. If you know any good mechanic here please do let me know! And i would also like to do a complete tinkering and painting asap. Guys, please help me out with all these.

P.S: The Bosch battery is excellent and there has been no worries till now. Just a turn and the car starts! Really satisfactory! :-)
Old 27th August 2010, 06:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

FM thats really nice to hear. Hope you get the car fixed and running. From the pics you posted it doesn't seem that it requires complete tinkering and painting. Regarding the engine problem do consult with a couple of mechanics more before opening up the engine. Till the time being use adapter on the plug which is getting oiled.
Old 28th August 2010, 11:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
FM thats really nice to hear. Hope you get the car fixed and running. From the pics you posted it doesn't seem that it requires complete tinkering and painting. Regarding the engine problem do consult with a couple of mechanics more before opening up the engine. Till the time being use adapter on the plug which is getting oiled.
Yeah, at that time there was not much problem with the car. But after we gave it for a work(mentioned a few posts back), the rusting started and the regions like the wheel well, inner parts of the boot, etc are rusting very fast. Another problem i have is that the A/C mechanic says that hereafter he wont be able to fill the gas for our car as that particular type has been discontinued due to certain environmental concerns (CFC's i guess). So, if i want to have an A/C in my car, which is surely needed considering the present climatic conditions, i need to shell out around Rs.10,000 for replacing the kit. What is your take on it?

And this time if i am working on the car, i should be able to keep it in pristine condition for at least next 5 or 6 years. Surely need to carry out anti-rust treatment and stuff.

But have to say, the interiors still shine! There is not even a single stitch loose in there! Kudos to Mr.Gopalakrishnan who did this around 5 years back!

And guys, here is the ownership thread of my new Sunshine Yellow Tata Nano Lx:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...llow-nano.html

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks