Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 03:34   #1
BHPian

2003 NHC- Saying goodbye to a trusted friend.

I still remember the day we went to the dealer for a TD. The display car was also ruby red,(the colour which we ended up choosing too). Dad and I were both swept off our feet just by looking at the car. The NHC was a phenomenon alltogether and took the segment by storm. The competion took ages to come up with a suitable reply to it.

I still remember the day we got her. 8th of December,2003. Since then started a 7 year (nearly) long trouble free journey. Though I wasn't of legal age to drive back then, I remember the driver singing praises about the car day-in, day-out. The smooth steering or the 'makkhan' gear shift .

9 months passed by in the blink of an eye without any trouble. Then she had her first encounter with one of Kolkata's (in)famous yellow cabbies. Despite the shunt, dad came out totally unharmed. The car needed a considerable amount of work though and that meant she was away for a good few weeks at the workshop. On getting her back, things were back to normal. The Honda people did a good job putting her back together and Japanese reliablilty continued to live up to its reputation.
The entire journey with the car has been mostly smooth and there isn't much one can fault about the NHC. It just kept going.

Finally, after turing 18 i got my hands on her. She was a dream to drive on Kolkata's congested streets. The steering just needed one finger to check the direction the car went, the gear box was smooth as butter, acceleration was peppy in the city traffic, the paint gleamed and life went on. The only downsides of the car (barely any), were the thick A-pillar which obstructed the view to a certain extent and the not so exciting steering feel at high speeds.

Our car seemed to have a decent amount of bad luck over these years. The front wind-shield has been changed 3 times!! The first time, a small A/c pipe came crashing down on it from the 9th floor while it was parked in the office. The second time was thanks to a cricket ball (Hit by some great gully ka gavaskar) . The third (and final) time was pretty werid since the glass cracked without any apparent reason. The car had been parked for the night at our old building and we found the glass cracked in the morning!

Our trust in the strength of Japanese cars was further strengthened when an Indica couldnt stop in time and rear-ended us. By the sound of the crash, I though we would have had too pay a hefty amount setting the car right. Upon getting out to inspect the damage, I only found a slightly scratched n dislodged bumper, while the Indica stood there spewing radiator fluid!

Well, all said and done; it has been a great journey with the car and I was pretty sad to see her go. Handed her over to the new owners today.
Good news: Got an amazing re-sale price and now theres a new baby standing in the NHC's parking spot! I'll let the pics do the talking now. The first two are of the first accident. The rest were taken last night before I sent her to her new home.
Miss you baby.
Cheers!
(Mods, please feel free to move this thread if it's not in the right place.)
Attached Thumbnails
2003 NHC- Saying goodbye to a trusted friend.-100_2240.jpg  

2003 NHC- Saying goodbye to a trusted friend.-100_2242.jpg  

2003 NHC- Saying goodbye to a trusted friend.-honda-2.jpg  

2003 NHC- Saying goodbye to a trusted friend.-honda-1.jpg  

2003 NHC- Saying goodbye to a trusted friend.-honda-3.jpg  

2003 NHC- Saying goodbye to a trusted friend.-honda-4.jpg  

2003 NHC- Saying goodbye to a trusted friend.-honda-5.jpg  

2003 NHC- Saying goodbye to a trusted friend.-honda-6.jpg  

2003 NHC- Saying goodbye to a trusted friend.-honda-7.jpg  

Old 21st September 2010, 09:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

@fordfreak,

Thats a pretty long time association with the city. Sad to see the city in bad condition, now that the car is with the new owners I hope you get to see it some day.

Going by your handle, I assume your next car would be a Ford and I hope it is. Do keep posting about your buying and ownership experience.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:11   #3
BANNED

City's bumper stronger than the Indica's. Now that a compliment.
The car has certainly aged very well. The interiors seem like new. I believe you have maintained it very well too.

So, what is coming in next? A Honda or a Ford?
Old 21st September 2010, 13:14   #4
BHPian

@ghodlur- This was our 2nd Honda City. We also had the very first version back in 1998. Our 3rd City should be arriving by this evening or after the 8th of October.
About my handle, I chose it after falling for my Ikon 1.6. Dad hates Fords now, so a new one is out of the question (was eyeing the Fiesta 1.6S). The Ikon will also be sold soon, will put up a couple of new threads when I get time,( Ikon-long term review and buying experience of the Altis and ANHC)

@n.devdath- I was also surprised by the bumpers strength . We have always taken good care of our cars. I blow my head even if there is a tiny scratch on it! I absolutly want them to be spotless. We are also selling our 'Josh Machine' soon :(. The NHC has been replaced by a Corolla Altis and the Ikon will be replaced by a ANHC.

Last edited by fordfreak : 21st September 2010 at 13:31.
Old 30th December 2010, 16:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2003 NHC- Saying goodbye to a trusted friend.

Saw your NHC is ballygunje the other day.

I recognized it by its alloys.

Will upload the pics my monday.

Seems like the new owner added tints.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks