Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:06   #1
Team-BHP Support

Zen LXi 2005, 40k km

I have a 2005 white Maruti Suzuki Zen LXi purchased in Pune. This is our 3rd Maruti car so we were quite used to the "Maruti experience".

We have used the car extensively, mum took it to office everyday, every few months, we took it to Aurangabad (250km from Pune) and even drove it to Gurgaon (1800km) when we shifted there.

The one thing I like about Maruti is that their cars go on for quite some time without major repairs required or body parts replacement. However, the slight delicateness of its chasis can be slightly irritating.

Since a year after we bought the car, the Youth Games were to be conducted in Pune and as a result, massive road construction was in progress. Recently, we shifted to Gurgaon where roads are bad without there being an occasion. So, that has majorly taken a toll on the tightness of the car interiors. On encountering a decent pothole, noises generally come from the window, the hatch shaft and dashboard.

During almost every service, we get the window packing tightened so for some time after the servicing, that vanishes. The car has run about 40k km and following are the major works done during servicing over the years :

- front bush changed twice (don't know the exact km)
- A/c refrigerant replaced at 35k
- clutch assembly changed at 40k
- regular wheel balancing and alignment
- battery change

coming to think of it, this has been it!

few things I'm not very fond of in Zen
- the loud noise the a/c makes after speed 2
- the very weak cabin courtesy lamp

Over the years, I find some things have been affected, like

- let 3 or more people be sitting in the car and A/c be running, the acceleration in the 2nd gear is quite depressing
- the gear box has become slightly loose
- the window packing, the door panels make a terrible noise while going thru potholes.

This being said, there is one thing I just love about the Zen (any model).. and that is the engine firing sound!

Overall, the car is an apt example of "sasta-sundar-tikau".. If you are a small family of 2-3 and won't use this car for long distance travel, this is one of the best affordable car!
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
- let 3 or more people be sitting in the car and A/c be running, the acceleration in the 2nd gear is quite depressing
Yep, this is a common problem with the zen to the effect that some member said that when you press the switch to shut the A/C off, it acts like a NOS button with a sudden surge in pickup/power.

Yes its a tikau car and very much reliable. There is another thread going on about the front bushes of the zen.

Wish you many more miles in the Zen.
Old 4th October 2010, 12:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Overall, the car is an apt example of "sasta-sundar-tikau".. If you are a small family of 2-3 and won't use this car for long distance travel, this is one of the best affordable car!
I too have a silky silver 2005 Feb Maruti Zen Lxi.. Has been a workhorse for me from day 1, and today stands at 88,000 sweet kilometers.

Contrary to its image of being a city car and soft type, I did take it on long drives (read 700kms one way in a day) and the car has done those trips sweetly.

No major repairs to this day, except for the regular services. I love the smoothness of this car.. Give it good roads, and it is smooth and quiet.

Now, my family has grown, and she is feeling small. And at 88K,, feels a little old too, but still has lot of life left in her.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

I agree that the car can handle long distance trips without any problems; we had driven about 600-700km/day on an average during our Pune-Gurgaon trip.

The drawback is, there are space constraints; there's a limitation on the amount of luggage you can carry. So, that can be an issue on long distance trips.
But I guess that is one thing you have to accept about a hatch!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks