Team-BHP - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/89706-hyundai-i20-1-2-asta-rattled-up-year-ownership-update-rack-replaced-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by skanchan95 (Post 2089489)
The Accent, Getz , Santro and the Verna have been Hyundai best sellers because they have been largely trouble free. But its not been that case with i10s and i20s.

even i had an Accent GLS back in 2000-2005 never had steering rattling issues, but brakes and suspension wear out so soon and no matter how much i tried couldnt fix it so finally sold the car with the warning to the buyer about the brakes and insisted him to get it done in the first priority. though they werent able to fix my brakes in all other ways the service experience was good.

bought a Getz GLE in 2007, its from the last batch after which the prime came in. Service Experience was not as good as it used to be with the accent. Most complaints were not sorted our at the first time. they did not match the paint during accident repair and the reply by the service advisor was they cant match it with the cars colour they will just repaint it with the same code paint and there will be differences. then when i repeatedly insisted on it they said "they cant see any shade difference" after few attempts they did a rubbing polish which had no effect so i left it instead of breaking my head with their nonsense.

even the getz has the same rattling at first even i thought its something else just recently i found its the steering rattling, i have booked an appointment on coming tuesday for the periodic service, i thought will get it fixed in this service looks like i was wrong :Frustrati

my recent encounters with hyundai is dissatisfied, that too they raise really high bills for doing nothing, general service bill comes around 4k whereas it use to be lessthan 2k for my accent. now some might say the cost have gone higher now, for those they charge the same 4k for my innova, so its really high for a small Rs.4.7L hatchback. will update my experience with the steering issue after the service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuhrer (Post 2099670)
they said "they cant see any shade difference"

As they say, Ignorance is bliss. If the workshop is not able to fix or address the problem to your satisfaction, "can't see difference", "can't hear any sound/rattle" , "works fine as per our standards" are some of the standard replies you get. You will only end up :Frustrati and wonder why the hell is that workshop running!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by skanchan95 (Post 2099837)
As they say, Ignorance is bliss. If the workshop is not able to fix or address the problem to your satisfaction, "can't see difference", "can't hear any sound/rattle" , "works fine as per our standards" are some of the standard replies you get. You will only end up :Frustrati and wonder why the hell is that workshop running!!!

Sad to hear your story. I have been through this phase, although in my Fabia. Many Fabias sold here had a peculiar rattle from the AC blower. Don't ask about my ordeal with the dealer. Finally ditched my dealer and moved to the other service centre. Blower was changed, problem solved. I made atleast 6 visits to my dealer for the same.

Defogger - most of the wires in my defogger also does not work. I had the sunfilm installed at the dealer but I don't want to go back there. I am happy with the new service station but they will not replace the glass under warranty. I am not getting any sunfilm on the rear glass in my next car.

Fabia steering does not rattle And it is both tilt and telescopic. You can argue on this if you like. Of course, you know the service manager gave you a lame excuse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildon (Post 2091359)
In most cases the driver only can hear and feel it and in some cases the the front passenger too.

Unfortunately for me too the rattling is back :p although now its giving minor sound but i'm afraid it will increase. Also when you turn the steering wheel to the extreme left while idle then a quick right and left there is a noise coming. It was not coming after the part replacement but now its started.

So its 1000+ k.m after parts replacement .. Rattling is Back :D

Absolutely wildon - spot on. The same issue I face with Figo .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2064799
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...eview-217.html
Post # 3241

The engine noise have become more suddenly in the drivers seat and it is very easily audible in the driver seat. During test drives, the mechanic says - " these are normal sir, no sir, just take out the noise from your mindset and see :Frustrati". No noise sir".
But luckily the response from Ford and the dealer MPL Ford - Perungudi is good.
I have been advised to change the diesel from BP to IOCL and check. Let me do that and take up again.

Generally rattling sound is heard by regular users who drives the same car mostly and easily identify if there is a small change.
The service engineers should be able to notice these differences even better than regular users but they have been trained :eek: not to accept anything till the customer is smart and escalates step by step as skanchan has done so far.
Let us see the response from Hyundai.
The interior quality, plastic quality, fit & finish of I20 is simply awesome and give a feeling of a flight cockpit but the same thing cant be said about its ride quality

Quote:

Originally Posted by fi.robin (Post 2100134)

Fabia steering does not rattle And it is both tilt and telescopic. You can argue on this if you like. Of course, you know the service manager gave you a lame excuse.

AAARGGHHH!!! I wasn't entirely convinced when he said that. I already what the next excuse would be - Saar, the i20 has MDPS, hence the rattle:deadhorse!!!!

Who knows, when they run out of excuses, they might even say get the registration number changed(numerals total upto 13) or take it to a temple(again) and get it blessed by a priestlol:

Hey really sorry to hear about your problems. It is really unfortunate Hyundai is not doing enough to solve such widely reported problems.

Having said that, I must count myself lucky to not face any problems. I was one of the early adopters of the i20. I got mine in March 09, and I have had a problem free 18 months. I dont remember spending more than 3-4k so far on my car for service etc. so far. I have clocked about 17000 kms so far, but I must add my i20 is entirely self-driven. Not sure if that would have anything to do with a trouble-free experience!!

I really hope someone from Hyundai is reading this, after owning a Santro Zip Drive and Accent CRDi. If you treat customers like this, they will go away. No-one wants a free lunch. But if we've paid for something we expect the highest levels of service. Bought a Polo instead of the i20.

Guys, Anyone aware if the same problem of rattling occurs in Exported cars as well.
If the issue is only in Indian version.. then we are betrayed to the horizon.

I understand how you feel. I have serious rattling issue in my Alto. I cant do much.

After repeated tries with the service centers, I found one solution. Keep the ICE running at all times and focus on the road rather than the rattles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicselva (Post 2102038)
Guys, Anyone aware if the same problem of rattling occurs in Exported cars as well.

Its there on the export variants as well. Look at this link:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...en&output=html

There is someone from South Africa in the middle of the page with the same issue. On Hyundai UK forums, there were some complaints of steering rattle on UK based i20s.

My i20 CRDi is a month old now. Took her for the first free service today after 1.3K. So far so good! (fingers crossed)

On the contrary, My i20's steering is tighter than my previous Lancer's (2002 model, 1L km) in running and its butter soft during stationary.

O.T: I was expecting the A.S.S to change the oil during the first service today but they said that its done only during the 10K service. Gurus any light on this?

Well my i20 I figured something out. There is i think the Steering Rattle (May 2010 version). If I push the steering back compeltely towards the Dash then the noise is more audible. But if I were to pull it slightly towards me, then the sound is substantially less or non-existent.
BTW, I also managed to get a small dent on my Right front door thanks to a moronic 2 wheeler rider with non existent patience. Dont want to get the whole door painted. Any ideas if the dent can be removed without repainting and where in B'lore it would be the best place to do it

I too drive the i20 1.2 Asta - feb 2010. The steering rattle is common in all the i20s. I had a swift earlier which also had a EPS but never had any kind of rattle but my dad's Baleno had a similar problem which I am facing on my i20. But this is not too much of a concern if you are ok with the sound - "can be irritating @ times". I just pump up the music sometimes to get rid of the noise.

Coming to the A/c Just check the installation of the Air Filter which located under the center console on the passenger side. Hyundai people had fitted it wrongly during the first service and there is was no cooling effect after that-"Felt i was driving a Non A/c i20". Then I went through the Owners Manual which indicated the A/c being ineffective if the filter was installed incorrectly. Please check this first.I rectified it myself and now the cooling is superb.

I am very annoyed with Hyundai service for not training the service personnel and bringing bad reviews on an otherwise fine car. I think i20 is an excellent vehicle for the price and i am quite happy living with it for almost 10 months but very much unhappy with Hyundai's Service.Hope Hyundai would look into this matter and try to train the personnel because the customers are more trained themselves than them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolboy (Post 2103690)
I But this is not too much of a concern if you are ok with the sound - "can be irritating @ times". I just pump up the music sometimes to get rid of the noise.

A couple of the other "characteristics" of Steering rattle is that you get that while driving is that you get the feeling that the suspension is loose and the rattle vibrations can be felt on the steering wheel. No amount of loud music can ever get of of these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skanchan95 (Post 2103756)
A couple of the other "characteristics" of Steering rattle is that you get that while driving is that you get the feeling that the suspension is loose and the rattle vibrations can be felt on the steering wheel. No amount of loud music can ever get of of these.

yes its really annoying feels as if there is some loose link, the rattle keeps going like the wheel might pop out any minute. gave the car for service today, unfortunately i was not able to drop the car myself, so sent it through driver, after me speaking to him over the phone and repeated insisting of the driver, the service advisor said - there is no sound in the steering, but still cause of us insisting so much he will instruct the service people to check the entire suspension :Frustrati

looks like the service advisor here are trained better, they never admit the complaint in the first place, not only in chennai i have given my car for service in madurai too, the service advisors in hyundai are always deaf no matter whatever we say, they never note down anything in the job card and the car returns home with just oil change and water wash. if we push it further they do such rubbish works.