Team-BHP - Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/89706-hyundai-i20-1-2-asta-rattled-up-year-ownership-update-rack-replaced-9.html)

That must be a big relief. Kudos to the workshop for handling the problems well. But I see that PMS of i20 is just 645 rupees and here, Hyundai charges a whopping 830 rupees for the santro. Doesn't that workshop come under "A" class town?

Quote:

Originally Posted by download2live (Post 2233203)
But what about Hyundai?
I hope that they know what has happened here.

They are fully aware of the situation. As I mentioned earlier in one of my earlier posts, I had sent a detailed report of what has been going on with the car to the Hyundai RO in Mumbai & Ahmedabad, the Sales & Mktg HQ in Delhi and the Company HQ in Tamil Nadu. I have proof that the report was delivered to all those people on time. If a legal notice with the entire report sent again does not make them aware of the situation, I don't know what else will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by download2live (Post 2233203)
Word of mouth is a very strong thing in India. In fact I have prevented two people from going for i20 on the basis of the issues you have reported. Hope that Hyundai feels the pinch where it hurts and takes the dealership to task.

They will feel the feel the pinch sooner or later. They damn well know that the car has a serious manufacturing defect but aren't ready to accept it in public. On my part I am advising Hyundai owners in Veraval to stay away from the Wrecking Crew in Om Hyundai, Junagadh. Anyone who is thinking of buying an i10 or an i20, I tell them to not even consider those cars and people have bought a Swift, Beat or a Figo instead.
There is a new Ford showroom coming up in Junagadh, that too will hurt Hyundai's sales in this region.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidindica (Post 2233350)
Doesn't that workshop come under "A" class town?

I don't know about that but Rajkot is quite a big city, all major car dealerships are there.

@skanchan - I am so glad most of your issues with the car have been resolved. Your efforts and persistence is paying off. Now I guess only the rattle issue remains. Good luck to you for complete & satisfactory resolution of that too.
As customers, we understand that there could be some problems in a product but a truly customer oriented company ensures that the *** takes care of this aspect and treats the customer well. If HMIL has still continued with these clowns at Junagadh, it says a lot for their integrity (or lack of). There have been cases where Honda & VW have cancelled dealerships due to high handedness and this sends a strong message to the other dealerships too. Unfortunately HMIL is setting a wrong example here, and this has already begun t hurt them a little, though the impact may not be noticeable. If I count through this thread, I can see that at least 10 prospective sales have been lost. At an average of 7L; they have lost 70L min. This is the bare minimum as there could be others who have been dissuaded either by reading here or by word of mouth. The count from my side is currently at 3.
I am happy you have regained your drive!

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2234020)
If HMIL has still continued with these clowns at Junagadh, it says a lot for their integrity (or lack of). There have been cases where Honda & VW have cancelled dealerships due to high handedness and this sends a strong message to the other dealerships too. Unfortunately HMIL is setting a wrong example here

Well, the RO in Ahmedabad and Mumbai are to be partially blamed for this. Inspite of so many complaints against Om Hyundai, they simply did not act against the workshop. Whenever these people from A'bad come to Junagadh for a routine visit or for training, they got royally treated. I would not like to say how or why, as that would not be proper. If ever a strict, honest and ethical person from HMIL comes and check how competent these fools in Om Hyundai, Junagadh really are, it won't be log before that workshop is forced to shut down.

My recent experience with Shreenath Hyundai, Rajkot just shows how poor Om Hyundai is in comparision with them. A problem(brake noise) that those fools at Om Hyundai failed to solve since the last one year, those guys at Shreenath Hyundai, Rajkot were able to solve within hours!!!!

Our experience with Om Hyundai was not the first such case with that workshop and it certainly will not be the last unless they do some drastic changes in their setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2234020)
Now I guess only the rattle issue remains. Good luck to you for complete & satisfactory resolution of that too.

Thank you:). We are also fighting for the damage that those Om Hyundai jokers caused to the car and then blatantly denying that they did it. They also deny water leakage from the rear glass inspite of all proofs provided to them:Frustrati!!!!

I am attaching photos of the water leakage from the inner side of the rear glass(hard copies of which was sent to Hyundai offices along with my report). The first and third photos are of the inner side of the rear glass from where the water is actually leaking into the cabin. The second photo is of the outer side and you can clearly see water droplets on the inner side.

This leakage was after those fools at Om Hyundai had fitted a new rear glass( for the reason that they had screwed up the defogger during sunfilm installation, causing the defogger to partially fail).

yeah, it is cases like these where one wonders why people get into businesses of which they know neither head nor tail. Evidently, these guys are into it only to earn money and for no other satisfaction. They are horrible at servicing cars and managing customers.
All your actions in following up are exemplary for anyone who (god forbid!) has a similar problem. The events here go to show how important documentary evidence is when following up. Good luck again, and keep us posted!

Quote:

Originally Posted by skanchan95 (Post 2233164)
I got the car serviced from Shreenath Hyundai, Rajkot on January 22nd, 2011. This was the car's first paid service....

I'm really happy for you. After what you've gone through this is the first time that your breathing easy after a service.

Come to think of it, were all those suggested replacements necessary or were they just incompetent.

Do let us know how Hyundai responds on the OM Motors issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidindica (Post 2233350)
That must be a big relief. Kudos to the workshop for handling the problems well. But I see that PMS of i20 is just 645 rupees and here, Hyundai charges a whopping 830 rupees for the santro. Doesn't that workshop come under "A" class town?

I too was very surprised at the Rs. 645 amount. Now, that you say "A" class town, I figured out the difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danny25 (Post 2238776)
I'm really happy for you. After what you've gone through this is the first time that your breathing easy after a service.

Yeah, it was the first time that after a service I was happy.

Quote:

Come to think of it, were all those suggested replacements necessary or were they just incompetent.

The car had two major issues
1. Brake noise - The issue was there for the past year. First the jokers in Om Hyundai replaced the rear brake drums to sort out the issue. Two days later , the brake noise was still there. Then I was told by the Om Hyundai WM, in his own words, they had done "improperrr diyagnosees"(improper diagnosis) and that the brake noise was coming from the front brake discs.
Then they replaced the front brake discs, brake pads over the next few visits( the brake pads were replaced thrice in one year!!!!). The issue remained until the car visited Shreenath Hyundai , Rajkot in January this year . Now three weeks since that visit to Rajkot, there is no trace of that brake noise.
Conclusion - The brake noise was a a result of Om Hyundai jokers screwing up something so bad that the brake noise kept on repeating( whether they fitted the brake pads or the brake discs or something else poorly, that's something HMIL should look into).

2. Steering Rattle - The issue has been there since the car's first free service. Om Hyundai (in co-ordination with the RO in Mumbai and Ahmedabad)ended up replacing the steering rack twice, steering column once, tie rods once, did all sorts of tighntening, inserted two different types of urethane pad/yoke spring assembly in the past one year. Yet the issue still persists. In between Om Hyundai and the RO were cleverly dodging the issue by calling it suspension noise and dashboard noise, even though it was the same "kat kat" noise.
Now the front tyres have completely gone bald( after 23K on the odometer). Each and every "proof" provided is screaming Om Hyundai's incompetence, everyone I have spoken to understands this . HMIL will be the last one in the world to acknowledge it:Frustrati!!!!

3. The dashboard damage( and damage to other parts in the car) and poor fitment(water leakage) of the rear glass were caused by Om Hyundai jokers which they refuse to accept.

Quote:

Do let us know how Hyundai responds on the OM Motors issue.

They will not respond. They will never acknowledge that their dealer is wrong and they are defending the dealer blindly. The great men in the RO are fully aware of the situation with Om Hyundai, Junagadh. The Works Manager in Om Hyundai, Junagadh sometimes struggles to speak even Hindi, let alone English!!!! When we had received call about Om Hyundai's service feedback from Ahmedabad, we told them that the WM in Junagadh can't even speak a word of English. The lady herself acknowledged that she too was shocked that the WM can't speak English. Just because someone is the showroom owner's son, that does not give some one the right to throne himself as the Works Manager( that too when he is lacking the basic qualifications to be called so!!!!!).

As for the court case, as mentioned before, the respondents( HMIL RO A'bad, Om Hyundai Junagadh & HMIL, Tamil Nadu) were supposed to reply by Feb 1st, 2011 to the court. As expected, they sought more time to reply. They will keep on prolonging and dragging the issue. Let them do so, we are prepared to fight it out in the court. They neither have any shame nor any remorse for what they did to the car and its present state today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skanchan95 (Post 2240211)
The Works Manager in Om Hyundai, Junagadh sometimes struggles to speak even Hindi, let alone English!!!! When we had received call about Om Hyundai's service feedback from Ahmedabad, we told them that the WM in Junagadh can't even speak a word of English. The lady herself acknowledged that she too was shocked that the WM can't speak English. Just because someone is the showroom owner's son, that does not give some one the right to throne himself as the Works Manager( that too when he is lacking the basic qualifications to be called so!!!!!).

IMHO, it should not be a problem if the WM cannot speak English. However, a good WM should be able to at least one if not both the languages of 'car' and 'customer'!

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2240319)
IMHO, it should not be a problem if the WM cannot speak English. However, a good WM should be able to at least one if not both the languages of 'car' and 'customer'!

I never meant to say that a WM *should* know English, its certainly not necessary, what I meant to say that the guy is not fit enough to be the WM. It just makes me wonder, what sense do these people make of the Technical Service Bulletins that are sent to them on regular basis. No wonder these Om Hyundai jokers keep on goofing things up in the car!!!!

It took them two seperate visits to find out that the brake noise in the car was actually coming from the front brakes and that there was no need to change the rear brake drums the first time. The issue remained even after changing the brake pads thrice over a period of one year.

One visit to Shreenath Hyundai, Rajkot got rid of the brake noise issue!!!! I felt cheated because all that money sent on petrol and wasting the whole day at that good nothing workshop in Junagadh was only for the issues to keep on repeating:Frustrati!!!! Their troubleshooting skills are 0, even are roadside mechanic may do a better job than them, this inspite of all the "training" that Hyundai imparts on these idiots.

Come to think of it, they were actually doing "experiments" on the car, doing all sorts of circus on the car, "hoping" that the problems would go away - be it the steering rattle issue or the brake noise issue!!!! Each time they said that the problem will not occur again, yet the issues kept on repeating. This in itself says a lot about those jokers.

When one buys a car, he not only hopes that he would have a troublefree and joyful ownership experience but he also puts his faith on that car manufacturer. It is also the manufacturer's responsibility to see to it that car manufactured by them remain trouble free. While they were responding initially, now those jokers have stopped responding completely, no matter what we tried.

Half the time, we were putting complaints against these idiots for the issues that kept on repeating and top of that to add insult to injury, the car now has a leaking rear glass and a badly damaged central console in the dashboard. If they had even attempted such stunts on a politician's or a local goon's car, the response from that fellow towards these Om Hyundai fools would certainly not have been diplomatic!!!!

I am sorry but a 2 dime Korean company can't take us for granted. I am spreading the word. The attitude shown by the company here is simply unacceptable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhilesh (Post 2240728)
I am sorry but a 2 dime Korean company can't take us for granted. I am spreading the word. The attitude shown by the company here is simply unacceptable.

It is the attitude of our own fellow citizens working for this company that i find shocking. Had this issue cropped up in th US or Europe, Hyundai would have worked overtime to resolve the issue knowing mighty well that the NHTSA would not let them live in peace. Here in India, we dont have such a strong regulatory body to monitor the safety concerns of the vehicles.

As I see it the only way Hyundai will wake upto this issue is if one of their own employees raises a concern for the same. But the Regional Managers and Area Managers have sold their souls to this MNC for a secure job. Whether they are honest to their job or not, they know pretty well that they will be paid for not reporting the safety issues of the vehicle to the concerned department. Like the dealerships appointed by HMIL, even the RMs and AMs work only for money, not for satisfaction. People like the concerned R.M. and A.M. bring shame to the engnieering fraternity(the Area Manager I know is an automobile graduate). Action is being taken politicians levelled with corruption charges, for not doing their duty correctly, but who are HMIL employees to answer for deliriction of duty? Is HMIL actually waiting for a Bhopal or 26/11 to happen to address the concern with the car?

With exception to Maruti Suzuki customers, most of the people on this forum have faced some problem or the other while servicing their vehicles. The reason is evident : Incompetent Service centers/ Lack of technically sound people at the service centers. And this because all the training camps organised by companies are seen as a leisure camp, a paid holiday, and instead of sending the technicians, the illiterate SSC failed owners decide to go abroad. The result : Any problem with the car, the WM would happily say replace instead of even attempting to carry out any repairs. The jokers at Hyundai are very famous for such antics. Hyundai keeps all their vendors and dealerships haapy but are least botheres about the customers. The dealers on their part decide to convert any technical visit by the RMs and AMs into leisure trips by organising picnics in the forest, temple visits near byclap:. The R.Ms and A.Ms are happy, the dealer is happy, the vendors are happy, the visiting technical staff is happy...the only person left high and dry is the customer.

Here's what a gentleman from Holland posted in my thread at CW forums (Attn : i20 owners. Steering rattling noise - Page 28 | Maintain Your Car | Car Forums - CarWale)

Quote:

hello guys,

my name is joost van pelt, i come from holland (europe) and i want to share my experience with this issue regarding the i20 steering problem.

first of all i want to speak out appreciation to sandesh who initiated this whole discussion and taking lead in trying to sort out this problem so the least thing i can do is give some support from overseas. (this might help)

well, i own a i20 (sept 2009), bought it mainly for its price, interior volume space and fuel consumption and/but i happen to be a courier so i make people happy when delivering their ordered products. still no problems yet.

unfortunately (for me) holland is a country (i think unlike india) that puts lots of effort in preserving life in the real meaning of the word. as a result in civil areas where people live with families and children the policy is to protect and spare the sibblings by putting bars (riffles) in these local roads so you can't drive 50 kmh, otherwise you get launched! meaning in my usual work i have to cross about 200-250 of these bars daily.

and since this is the first time i have ever bought a brand new car i am very careful with it, so taking these bars in second gear and lots of them in the first gear.

but alas, it took me about five, six month to get presented with the littke ticks in the steering column (you call this the rattling sound) and allmost at the same time, maybe even before, the thud sounds in the suspension. sure, went to the garage (workshop) and some bolts/nuts were tightened and the ticks, just them, were gone for a few weeks ....... but of coarse .....

things became worse and the overall feeling just dropped very negative. for instance even the left/right utmost position of the steering wheel gives an unpleasant tick and inferior, cheap experience like you're driving a pushcart

however my last experience was the worse. take off from standstill on a small uphill path. thus first gear, handbrake releasing and step on the gas ............

bannnngggggg, a sound like two metal bars hitting each other ..... very, very, very loud

similar as breaking iron. ( a gunshot)

back to the workshop. overlooked, analyzed, tested .... and all conform factory specs!

i don't blame the local guys of coarse. they are totally dependant off hyundai.com/org or whatsoever). however i can't estimate there ignorance about this topic, although my natural feeling is: of coarse they know but they will always and ever defend their own bizz (what about ego) so we are all standing with the back to the wall.

maybe some bad things have to happen like your eps malfunction sandesh and somebody will end up very bad. i don't know. probably big companies have potentials to purify/cleanse this kind of disturbances/anomalies.

well, this is my story. i will follow yours and you are welcome to ask me for details if they are required for better accomplishments.

regards, joost

Having read about this steering rattle issue in Hyundai UK forums and the database on steering rattle issue( https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...en&output=html ), I knew the same problem exists on export models as well. The above post by him is further proof of this horrible issue with the car:deadhorse.

As mentioned in some other thread, here are the pictures of the car's newest issues.

Dust inside the speedemeter console - dust accumulation has been gradual and there is plenty of it inside thee console. Just can't comprehend how can dust possibly get inside the console. The constant fooling around and poor fitment of the steering column or some other good up by those Om Hyundai greats has resulted into this.

Front tyres going almost bald- : Let pictures do the talking. I had pointed out this uneven & premature wear at around 15K kms to those Om Hyundai people. Their response : Saar, it is normal. Over time, it became worse and resulted into this. Our old Swift's tyres( discarded and lying in the store) changed at 32K kms are still in better condition than the i20's tyres.

King Midas had a golden touch, whatever he touched turned to Gold.
In the present context , the Kings of Om Hyundai, Junagadh too have such a touch. Only, whatever they touch turns to stonelol:( Metaphorically speaking)!!!!!

Here's list of goof ups and how they are responsible for the car's present state

1. Steering - Rattle continues to this day inspite of the car undergoing steering rack replacement twice and having served as a guinea pig in all sorts of experiments to fix the issue. At one time they had even managed to mess up the tilt steering adjustment.

2. Brake Noise- The brake noise troubled the car till the car visited Shreenath Hyundai, Rajkot. The guys at Shreenath, Rajkot were able to fix the issue in just one visit, something which "The Midas" at Om Hyundai were unable to fix inspite of having changed the brake pads, brake discs and rear brake drums over a period of one year.

3. Defogger- Om Hyundai fellows damaged the defogger during sunfilm installation and had agreed to change the entire glass. However during the new rear glass fitment, they goofed up again and left scratches on the hatch door and poor fitment of the glass is causing water leakage inside the cabin.

4. Dashboard central console - They had opened up the entire console to supposedly "fix" a buzzing noise from the dashboard. The noise never got fixed, but they managed to damage the entire console and the seatbelt display unit.

5. Dust inside the speedometer console - Clearly, the dust accumulated over time and there is a thin layer inside the speedometer console. Now there is high possibility that the entire speedometer console unit will have to be changed. I don't know how many times these people at Om Hyundai opened up the steering column and somehow managed to mess up the speedometer console while fitting it back.

I don't know what else these Midases from om hyundai managed to mess up in the car during their supposedly "competent" repair jobs, but these things will surely crop up slowly over time.

All the above is screaming of their incompetence and proves that their technical knowledge is a big wide shoonyam.One of these days, some poor hyundai owner is going to get seriously hurt after letting these om hyundai people work on the car. They are simply not qualified enough to work on a car's sophisticated systems(for them, there is no difference between a bullock cart and a car). There is already a case of a Verna meeting with an accident due to their incompetence.

Sadly, the Hyundai RO in Ahmedabad wants to ignore all of this and still refer to Om Hyundai as one of its "Elite" and "competent" dealers. They are fully aware of the Junagadh WM's qualifications and for what, "non-technical" reason he was made the WM there.

Oh man ! This is worrying. I was about to buy my first car next month and had decided on i20 Asta CRDi (6 speed). Now i'm not so sure anymore :Frustrati