Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 12:36   #16
BHPian

Re: 3 Lakh km in 7.5yrs on benzinblut’s Esteem Diesel. A real long term ownership rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Well your Esteem is amazing ! 3L kms and still has a untouched engine and suspension (touchwood) ........ Hope my swift VDI lasts for 1L kms without any problems
Thanks mate. If you treat her carefully and service her at the right time, sure she will last much longer. Theres a swift done 2Lakh km on this forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Just read through your very well written ownership review. Amazing to know an Esteem has clocked 3 Lakh kms without overhauling the engine and suspension. Even the clutch has been changed only once!
Thanks predatorwheelz. The car has spent a significant part of its life on the highway. There are lesser gear changes per km run. I thinks this is a major contributing factor to the clutch life. Plus, it was driven by my dad who never strained the clutch.

BTW: Clutch was changed when the car did around 2.4 Lakh km!

Quote:
You should send this write-up to Maruti and Peugeot's PR departments. Any car maker would be proud to know that their product is capable of this!
Ironically, I had written to Maruti during early ownership days because of the lack of konwledge of their engineers when it comes to the engine. The problem was a rythmic fluctuation of engine RPM at idling (like on the trucks). Until a few months ago, the car was serviced only at Sai Service in Lower Parel at Bombay and they couldnt solve it at all. After the letter, guys from Lucas attended to the fuel pump. It was a faulty O-Ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Benzinblut: amazing review of your diesel Esteem...... You and your dad has certainly taken good care of your steed......... Congratulations again for owning such a warhorse. Wishing you another lakh kms atleast on your esteem.
Have fun.
Thanks mate.

Quote:
One more question. How many sets of tyres have you needed to replace? And what brands of tyres?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Even I would like to know, how many set of tyres have been changed and at what intervals.
The car is on its 6th set of tires now. Each set lasted more than 50k kms. The current set easily has 20k km more in it. We dont take chances with worn tyres, but they somehow last longer on this car. They are either JK Vectra or Bridgestones. Twice we had a problem with the JKs with an inferior product which was very soon replaced under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
very well written review, do post a side badge of 1.5D, never seen it earlier..
Sorry buddy. Just checked out the car in the morning. Its a 1.3L badge sitting there. Originally there was a '1.5D' badge (and not 1.5L as i mentioned yesterday) sitting there that was lost some years ago. Sai service didnt like the bland look and dint have the 1.5D badge. So they did this. Sorry buddy no picture

Last edited by benzinblut : 21st December 2010 at 12:39.
Old 21st December 2010, 14:12   #17
BHPian

Re: 3 Lakh km in 7.5yrs on benzinblut’s Esteem Diesel. A real long term ownership rev

Excellent review and 3 lacs kms on a stock engine.. no words to explain....simply amazing..
Old 21st December 2010, 16:53   #18
BHPian

Thanks buddy.

The odometer now stands at 2,99,983. I will cross it today on my way home .
Old 21st December 2010, 17:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

@benzinblut: Thats one comprehensive helluva review there ! Great to see the Esteem going strong at 3 lakh Kms on the odo. Wishing you many more happy miles on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
electricals were another letdown. During a rainy night if you have Headlight, AC , Stereo and wipers working then the wipers will be slow the headlight will be dim and it will make a meek sound when you honk, this was a known issue with all the petrol esteems,
Pramod
This is news to me ! I have never encountered a single electrical problem with my Esteem during the last 7 years of my ownership. I agree the sluggish power window is Esteem's Achilles heel though.
Old 21st December 2010, 22:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@benzinblut: Thats one comprehensive helluva review there ! Great to see the Esteem going strong at 3 lakh Kms on the odo. Wishing you many more happy miles on the car.
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
This is news to me ! I have never encountered a single electrical problem with my Esteem during the last 7 years of my ownership. I agree the sluggish power window is Esteem's Achilles heel though.
No electrical problems with mine either. Power windows can sometimes feel painfully slow.

The current odometer reading is 2,99,996 km. Im off on a business visit to Rajkot. Will cross the 3 lakh km mark tomorrow and do much more.
Old 21st December 2010, 22:37   #21
BHPian

I have never come across a car which has completed 3 lakh kms. Your car is still in very good shape.I think you have ideas of many more miles to go.

Yup its today when i came to know that Esteem was also launched with a diesel engine.
Old 21st December 2010, 23:06   #22
BHPian

I have heard about Qualis doing 5-6lakh Kms but a Esteem DI doing 3L kms is just awesome. Your ownership report is heart felt and neat and it deserves a 5 star rating. So whats your future plan for this vehicle?
Old 21st December 2010, 23:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliantly maintained esteem. The TUD5 was one of the best IDI motors on earth and its mileage can still put modern CRDi motors to shame. Noisy, OK, but its incredibly smooth and fun to work on. And a 3 lakh km esteem on original underpinnings? That's just extraordinarily maintained.

5 stars? Gimme a break. It deserves 10 stars.

I had a story to share.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ti-esteem.html
Old 22nd December 2010, 00:51   #24
BHPian

Amazing dude!!!
your dad has taken very good care of the car.
Your ownership review is very detailed and crisp.
Keep going.
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:47   #25
BHPian

The car just crossed the 3 lakh mark today morning at 6am. Stopped to take a pic.

300,000 kms in 7.5 years on my Esteem Diesel. EDIT: Sold @ 3.4 Lakh kms-22122010155.jpg

@rock18, @rki2007: Thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
I have heard about Qualis doing 5-6lakh Kms but a Esteem DI doing 3L kms is just awesome..... So whats your future plan for this vehicle?
Thanks. As of now, no intentions to part with it at all. Its still a no nonsense car and very very economical. We have 3 cars but this one has a special place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliantly maintained esteem. The TUD5 was one of the best IDI motors on earth and its mileage can still put modern CRDi motors to shame. Noisy, OK, but its incredibly smooth and fun to work on. And a 3 lakh km esteem on original underpinnings? That's just extraordinarily maintained.

5 stars? Gimme a break. It deserves 10 stars.

I had a story to share.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ti-esteem.html
Thanks sid. Yes the Peugeot TUD5 is rock solid and it is still retunring FE figures that amaze on every tankful.

I read your tribute to the Esteem. It was an excellent write up.
benzinblut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:37   #26
BHPian

Good report. "Rare are those people who maintain cars that are rare on road." Probably, your are one of those rare. Your fathers manner of driving proves the self-evident truth : - That the longevity of a cars engine does depend on the manner it is being driven.
Nevertheless, a 3 lakh k.m driven car with an IDI diesel engine, without a timing belt, drive belts, nozzle etc replaced and without any trouble of water pump, fuel pump etc... is something a bit difficult for me to believe.
Biting the dust of our indian highways and yet insulated from wear and tear,Is the engine bullet-proof!!?. Seems plausible.
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:13   #27
BHPian

I must congratulate your Dad for taking care of her so well !! and of course thank you for sharing this wonderful report with us.
Boy, I could see how much your family likes her just by reading through your report. All I can say is hats-off to this wonderful machine who gains more respect as she adds age. Wish her another 300K run.

OFFTOPIC:- There was something about the cars that came out in 90s that were emotional compared to this decade.. Somehow i cannot get bonded to the new generation cars the way i bond with old ones !!
Old 25th December 2010, 17:24   #28
BHPian

@ritedhawan: Thanks mate. Yes, nothing related to the engine has ever been touched. Regular preventive maintenance is the key. The major due seems to be engine mounts because the vibration level is higher than normal, but it is still not too bad and can be lived with.

@harish: thanks dude. I think the reason why you feel attached to the earlier cars is because there was hardly any choice and variation in comparison to these days. Nevertheless, i am totally in love with this car.
Old 26th December 2010, 09:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

THats one REAL LONG TERM REVIEW for sure. A very detailed one thats quite interesting to read. Thanks a lot for your effort in putting this down. Loved the calculation of how long the engine has been running and how you could cross the globe once every year!!

Yes. You rightly mentioned. Maruti is still very reluctant in giving the market better options. And i personally feel all their cars are highly priced. Yes. 6.5L should have got you something better 7.5 years back if maruti (being the market leader) had been pro active enough.
Old 31st December 2010, 05:28   #30
BHPian

Dear benzinblut,

Great to read your review of the Esteem Di. I stumbled upon this thread after googling for the TUD5 engine.

My brother has just purchased a used Zen Di (2001). Done 101000kms. The Car is in excellent shape after 10 years of use. This is the third ZenD in the family.
I can second on your post about the foll things about the motor
1)Extremely fuel efficient 16kmpl in city traffic with a/c is no joke. Realistic Highway mileage of 27kmpl. Its cheaper than taking the train.

2)Hugely rev Happy. And the way it gets smoother with higher revs is addictive.

3)Parts Slightly Expensive in comparison to other Maruti Models. Airfilter at 1000Rs(Replace every 42000). Timing Belt at 3000(Every 82500). Radiator Fan (Known to fail) 9000Rs.

4)Superb clutch life. Never replaced on the previous car (sold at 1.5lakh kms)

Hats off to your dad for maintaining the car so well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks