Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2011, 09:41   #16
BHPian

Re: A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.

@ Ariesonu,
Yes, it is really a car you can always cherish upon. You don't believe, there are few of my friends(including my old boss), who call and ask about it first and then, my well being.
They learned driving on this dame and just can't forget it. One of my friends even took it for his date in Alwar.

@ Amit,
I was already thinking about bringing it to our tapri meet, as I need to refurbish the stereo and the floor mats in my First Love in bhavani pet. Also, need to give the Manza for its first servicing today.
Old 14th December 2013, 18:15   #17
BHPian

It's more than 6 months my ride went for its regular preventive maintenance Check up.
Now, as I am in Chennai far away from it, am not able to find a good service center in Hyd.
Hyderabad T-BHPians in Dilshuknagar and around, Pls suggest some good MASS in and around Dilshuknagar/ LB Nagar/ Chaitanyapuri/ Kothapet areas.

Thanks in advance.
Maverick79.
Old 29th January 2014, 14:22   #18
BHPian

A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ Service at 1,20,000 kms

The time has come for my First love to have its 1,20,000 kms service done.
Currently its in Hyd and is sparing used by Uncle’s family. Hence decided to check the condition first.
Drove it to Retouch – MASS in Kothapet, Hyderabad.
This is my first experience here. Met one S.A Mr. Ravi. Found him a bit logical. Suggestions after his test drive were to change,

1. All 4 struts
2. Trailing arm and bushes.
3. Steering mechanism.

Oil change was done recently some 5 K before and found it to be clean.

Quote came to 10K approx.

Also, the suggestion was to go ahead for tire change first and then the above replacements.

So next step was to find tires. The current shoes are Bridgestone which lasted for 51K kms and are still having some juice. Initially thought of trying Appollo’s this time, but again was suggested Bridgestones due to my less running and their good rubber which lasts long.

A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-dsc_0029.jpg
A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-dsc_0030.jpg

Current life of 51K kms was in a span of almost 6 years. Last 1.9 years it was only 5 K. Before that 30K in 2 years. Rest 15 K in first 2 years after tire replacement

Hence the deal went as per the attached Invoice from a Bridgestone Outlet.
Immediately drove back to Re Touch to give my ride.
Reached at 9:45am in the morning and expected the vehicle to get cleared by 4:00pm.

A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-dsc_0021.jpg

A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-dsc_0022.jpg

A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-dsc_0023.jpg

A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-dsc_0027.jpg

A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-dsc_0033.jpg

A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-dsc_0042.jpg

After jacking it up, the condition of the Front shocks was found to be quite good. Hence he suggested not to go for replacement as they still have more than 50% life. Will run another 20K kms atleast.

A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-dsc_0025.jpg

There was a delay of some 1 hour as this service centre doesn’t have the tailgate lifting shock absorber with them.

The correct matching Hatch lid shocker brought from their Central Spares stores in Chempapet.

A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-dsc_0044.jpg

So, my experience with this MASS,

Knowledge is good.
Receiving is good.
Workman ship is good.
Cleanliness after wash is also good.

Over all, I would give a 8/10 rating.

The final Bill came up to 8736( Repairs) + 10,500(Tires)
120K Bill from Re Touch MASS.pdf
Old 17th October 2017, 15:58   #19
BHPian

Adding fresh life into this thread and my ride..

Drove from Hyderabad to Chennai on 2nd Oct.
ODO: 135740.
A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-starting-reading-hyd-2nd-oct-morning-0630-hrs.jpg

(Apologies for the poor quality pics.)

ODO: 135796 kms, when filled up at BPCL COCO near Narketpalli.

Reached in 12 hrs ( including a wait time of 30 mins at Meedarametla to pick my Sister and another hour lunch break at N5 restaurant,Tanguturi post, Ongole)

ODO: 136410 kms.

A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-zero-fuel-but-error-fuel-gauge.jpg

Driving conditions: Cruising at 80 ~ 90 kmph. A/C was not working to 100% efficiency. Hence 30% of the distance was with window's slightly opened condition without A/C.

No action for a week.
Early morning rush to office on 9th morning, to my surprise, it stalled near a signal (Santhoshapuram, East Tambaram) after few kms from home.
Pushed it to side to do preliminary checks of all the connections.

1. Battery was working.
2. All fuses were alright.
3. Spark was coming with each crank when checked.
4. Pointer was also working.

Called the MOS no and their van was available within 20 mins.
He too did a lot of checks and finally towed it to near by Vishnu cars.

After 10 mins of waiting, Job car was prepared and another 1 hr, the service adviser came back with his finding - THERE is NO FUEL in the car.
So the gauge is at fault. Was showing three points even then.

Quickly paid him 300 bucks for getting the fuel from out side, as I want to stick to Shell fuel only.

Asked him to check the exhaust as well, which was hanging. Once jacked up, understood, the two rubber bushes worn out and the welding also is broken. Its only supported with the last bush. As they were not having any stocks of the bush, left from there.

Total damage: INR 925/- (575/- for towing + 50/- for diagonising and 300/- for fuel top up)

Now the real issue started, the vehicle stalls again after every clutch engagement. So was forced to rev it up to maintain the idling condition. Quickly rushed to Shell petrol pump and tanked it up.

A tribute to a 98 M800 – My ‘First Love’ at 1, 15,000 kms.-refill-post-vishnu-cars-episode.jpg

Fuel filled: 31.06( 4.06+27 litres in two slots).
Mileage achieved: 19.79. KMPL.
Driving conditions mentioned above

Still the stalling didn't go away. This implies, the carburetor tuning was messed up by the mechanic at Vishnu cars, Medavakkam.
Oh boy, seems he forget to tune it back to normal mixture delivery.

Was already late to office by half a day. Hence didn't took it back to Vishnu cars. Was lugging it back to home and office that evening and next morning as well.

10th Oct, some how managed to reach MSM MASS, Guindy to hand over my ride for check up and listed the below problems in the second half, though not well.

1. Zero idling possible. Frequent Stalling.
2. A/C not effective.
3. Exhaust pipe hanging low.
4. Rear Passenger door rattling.
5. RH front indicator not working.

One Mr. Dharmendra,Manager Service (Referred by one of our Sr. Bhpian who has an Alto regularly serviced by him), ensured will take car of the vehicle and he assigned Mr. John.

After an hrs wait, John accompanied me to the vehicle and inquired for any other queries to attend after listing down the above in their Job card. Estimate was given a INR 1.5 K excluding taxes.

Vehicle delivery was promised on Thursday evening. I requested for Wednesday evening, which he said, he will try for.

Wednesday, I took 1st sick leave of this year.

In the evening, received a call from Mr. John to only hear,

1. The compression is pretty low.
2. A/C cannot be repaired as its R12 based.
3. Coolant was found to be on a lower side, hence topped up and changed the cap.
4. Better scrap/ sell off the vehicle and go for a new vehicle, their sales person will assist me.

Holding all my feelings, I politely urged him to get the vehicle ready first.
Seems the driver is not available and hence delivery possible only Thursday morning.

Total bill was mentioned as INR 870/-. ( Includes Tank cleaning - 600/- + radiator cap + Exhaust Bush + Taxes).

To be continued...

Last edited by Samurai : 17th October 2017 at 19:02. Reason: removed extra smiley
Maverick79 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks