Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:24   #1
BHPian

Maruti Ritz VDI: 365 days and 19000 Kms

Why a Car:

I'm from a middle class village based family background. A decade back owning a car was looked much as a luxury than a basic need. World is different now. Car is no more a luxury or a status symbol. Live the moment. That’s the catch. My search for a car started 1.5 years back as my family started growing. I'm married. A new kid arrived. My parents stayed along with me in City to shower their part of love to the kid.

Search for a Car:

Just like any normal Indian citizen I was first looking for a second hand car (Maruti 800, Alto, wagon R, Santro ) without much knowledge about a car. Then its during the search I started understanding the basics of a car. What is comfort, suspension, steering, ground clearance, stability, build, safety(abs+airbag) and difference between sedan/hatchback/suv/muv, etc. From engine level I understood the difference between diesel/petrol functioning, maintenance and what is a CRDI means.

The Heaven:

Now there is a shower of flower on my way to make it a heaven, I have completed 5 years of service in my present company and that offered me a company car lease policy. It means Registration fee, Road tax, Yearly Insurance, Monthly fuel allowance Rs7K, complete maintenance(service, damage repair, wear & tear) all paid by the company. All I have to pay is monthly EMI for ex-showroom value which has a tax rebate. Hurray!!!! All my thoughts on second hand or a new small car like alto/santro has vanished in the dust and I wanted to book a new car. A bigger car.

Why Ritz:

Now my expectations are little more, that I should not only be owning a car for basic commuting purpose but also be able to enjoy 'being-in' and the 'driving' all the moment I'm inside the car. My car should be powerful, comfortable, economic and enjoyable.

My daily drive is around 70km up and down all inside city and once in a month I might travel to my native(Bangalore->Karur) which would up/down add 800kms monthly. Sedan was not on choice due to Budget & my novice driving experience. So it must be a hatchback. I started with Swift VDI as it carried the class best CRDI engine from Fiat and had an unbeatable acceptance already in the market.

I visited kalyani showroom to test drive Swift VDI. But the sales person in the showroom started talking about a different car called Ritz for that I had no space in my mind. I didn't like the sales persons approach initially. But when I saw both swift and Ritz in the showroom side by side I just got stunned by the space, finishing, and overall quality of Ritz. I came back from showroom and started looking more closely on Ritz, Vista, Punto, Figo. Vista lagged in A.S.S, quality. Punto lagged in A.S.S and slightly ahead of budget. Figo was just introduced that time, also I felt it lagged in A.S.S, Power. Test drove Vista but didn't like the experience. My test drive experience on Ritz was very pleasant. Also I'm a nearly six feet, I liked the tall boy model of Ritz, easy in/out for rear passengers and its ground clearance. Moreover against general opinion I liked the design of Ritz as it looked more dynamic and lively to me.

Booking & Delivery:

So finally I'm all set to go for a Ritz. Though I liked the dark blue colour since my wife liked backers chocolate I booked it in Kalyani motors around March 15th 2010 with a promise of two weeks delivery time. I managed to convince the sales person for an automatic central locking and my company car lease person convinced him for a sun film on top of basic accessories as freebies. On March 28th Saturday I got a call from the sales person that my car is ready and I can drive it to home. My mom was not happy as it was a Saturday considered as a no good day. With all my rationalistic knowledge I managed to convince her saying that I was born on a Saturday and doing good till this time. Finally she agreed by looking at the calendar to get it between 3 to 6 as it is a good time at least. As I don't want to disappoint her again, I agreed for it to make her happy. I tried rushing the sales person to deliver my car in day light as I could get a hassle free delivery. But it was delayed till 6pm. Again I managed to convince my mother that it is not yet 6pm, made my father to start the engine and move the car first within the showroom by 6pm + or - 1 min. As against what I heard from my friends the delivery of car was not a very special occasion happening there and I received the car just like any 11th person who would walk in/out of the showroom. But the salesperson Anil was very nice & friendly. He drove the car until my home as I was a new driver(has only driven 5yrs back to get my license) and afraid to drive in city roads.

Accessories:

Freebies: Automatic central lock, Sunfilm, mudflap, floormat.
Upgraded the central automatic lock with body sensor.
G-Sports art leather seat covers.
Installed a reverse sensor which warns me during reverse.
Pioneer audio with 4 JBL speakers.
Didn't take rear parcel tray as I require more luggage space.
Floor mat that came as free is bad and still needs a replace.

Ownership:

Power & Stability:

I think I don't have to mention again about the class best Fiat Turbo Multijet Diesel rocket. Since I was new and the engine was new, I didn't push the engine much and had set a max speed of 90kmph so that engine finishes its run-in period and get tuned. I hope in future maruti would also come up with ready tuned engines. Once it got over with first service, as I was still new, for the first few months during the high way drive I used to touch max 120kmph & as in an average around 100kmph. Now it is effortless to drive at 120/130kmph and touch 140 as often as required with five passengers aboard. I feel like it’s a rocket set afire. Usually I see the cars that cross over me on that speed are City/Accord/Accent or Sedans like that. I would say the stability of vehicle is very good up to 120kmph and my family aboard won't know that I'm going in that speed. Thanks to govt., for great road(NH7) but I curse them for levying a heavy toll. Guess they forgot why they collect road tax.

In city traffic when there is a need to raise to pass over the heavy vehicles it is an effortless push for me. There is a turbo lag, though for me since I can predict the pace of its rather a turbo kick, a fun to enjoy and with it overtaking is that simple. I can effortlessly get through the nukes & corners inside the city and I never felt a body roll unless I try to make a complete u-turn at 100kmph.

Comfort & Space:

Due to the tall boy model the overall room inside is great and makes me feel airy over my head. Definitely there won’t be any doubt about the seat comfort for the driver/pilot seats in any such car. Ritz also is great in that. What matters is the rear side. For me three persons at back happens almost all the times. Though I won’t say it’s great for three persons but three persons can comfortably sit and travel. Also here an added leg room due to the more seat height than swift, which also makes an easy in/out for rear passengers. Very much needed for elders. Boot space is 235 liters slightly more than swift but less than Figo. I feel the space is more usable which is enough to carry the luggage of a family of five for a 4/5 days trip and along with to bring back some grains/vegetables from my native. A/C is good enough to make the cabin cool instantly. Feel maruti should introduce a low power consumption mode which would be very much usable during winter.

Suspension & Steering:

The feel of suspension over the humps/bumps is great. I enjoy it every time I hit the hump or bump due to the swinging effect. In a nutshell it is not bumpy in bad roads. Also I enjoy the side way swinging feel it gives over the steering when you turn left/right to avoid any pothole or to overtake a slow moving heavy vehicle. I saw in comments that the steering is bad in Ritz, though I couldn't feel that way or may be since it’s my first one I got experienced with it in such a way that I couldn't identify it.

Mileage:

In city with two passengers and 80% a/c its 16kmpl.
In highway with five passengers 80% a/c its 20kmpl.
In town around 18/19kmpl.
All measured using tank full to tank full method.

These figures makes me feel great and makes only a small hole on my pocket. Don't feel much difference in mileage/power with a/c on or off. But number of passengers does matter in highway I guess. Had got once around 22kmpl with 2 passengers where it is usually a very rare occasion for me. So couldn't check again.

Fit & Finish:

Its definitely a way ahead. Good textured plastics for dashboard. I like the way the gear box is positioned and the gear shift is really good. I can switch the gear effortlessly, but can feel the switch solid and smooth.

With all this whenever I think about a drive, it’s a real pleasure, which thrives me for more & more. Unlike in a train or bus where I would beg the travel to get over soon and have an urge to reach the destination as early as possible. With my new diesel rocket I enjoy the travel as much as I would enjoy the destination. For going to office I do a car pooling daily with one of my colleague. So we drive alternatively my Ritz and his Scorpio. I enjoy more on my driving turn than sitting idle as a co-passenger in his turn.

With all the expectations I had before taking this Car, my Ritz Diesel had never failed me in satisfying these and to offer more as well in some cases. Till now I have never faced any issues and it is going to service only for normal service routines or for the damages that I have caused.

Since I was a new driver I hadn't driven other cars before I have taken this. Even now I have sparingly driven other cars. So all my comments above are based on my experience with Ritz alone. Here and there I made comparisons based on what I heard or just by my feeling. So might be in some cases I'm wrong. Excuse me for that.

I have also made some damages to my car few during my initial days of learning, few by the mistake of mad drivers inside city which could not be avoided completely anyway. Have repaired those damages with insurance and have kept one last small dent pending for my remembrance to be carefull in the city drive. It pains when a damage is made, but it's all part of the lifecycle. I remember the saying 'used sword shines less'. A car is not only to polish and keep watching it. A Car is to drive and to enjoy.

Thanks,
SANSI

Last edited by SANSI : 22nd March 2011 at 20:36.
SANSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz VDI: 365 days and 19000 Kms

That is a great report. I understand that you are enjoying every bit of it. How was the service at the Maruti dealer? In your report I dont see you facing any issues with the diesel engine. Money well spent isn't it? Continue to enjoy your drives and drive safe.
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:07   #3
BHPian

SANSI, I read every word of your review, as I'm bitten by the Ritz bug, and those mileage figures are just too mouth watering. I find the Ritz more practical compared to the Swift, still don't understand why the Swift sells in double the numbers, is there something that mortals like me don't know about the Swift? Anyways enjoy your ride and my envy. Please keep updating this post as I'll be keeping a close watch, and I'm sure many others will too, I think the Ritzy thing is catching on and peeple are finding it more practical over the Swift, I see quite a number of Ritz now a days.

Enjoy your ride and have fun. Cheers.
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sansi, very nicely written report and it will help many ritz owners/prospective buyers. In one year the car has run well also. I request you to please add some photos of your car to complete the report and keep this thread updated.

We T-bhpians were discussing regarding Ritz performance in market in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...its-glitz.html. Do post your comments here also.

BTW - Isn't this report should be in 'long term ownership experience' forum instead of here?
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sansi.
At last we have your Ritz thread, better late than never.
It also great to know that your ownership has been great so far.
Im sure this is the same with all of us Ritz owners.
Could you please also let us know about this automatic central locking stuff.
And a ownership thread after an year and no pictures , that's bad Sansi , so please upload some .

Cheers
Old 23rd March 2011, 13:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartin View Post
How was the service at the Maruti dealer? In your report I dont see you facing any issues with the diesel engine. Money well spent isn't it? Continue to enjoy your drives and drive safe.
Thanks a lot AstonMartin. I do service on BIMAL. No issues so far, except last service my complaint on bad smell in a/c was not rectified properly. Engine is absolutely great, you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I find the Ritz more practical compared to the Swift, still don't understand why the Swift sells in double the numbers, is there something that mortals like me don't know about the Swift?
Thanks a lot musicmanaman. Stability wise definitely swift should be atleast one point ahead of Ritz. Look is just a matter of mind & fashion at that time. But the major fact is people needs mass acceptance. That will take some time. Or sometimes it could also become chicken or egg story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I request you to please add some photos of your car to complete the report and keep this thread updated.

We T-bhpians were discussing regarding Ritz performance in market in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...its-glitz.html. Do post your comments here also.

BTW - Isn't this report should be in 'long term ownership experience' forum instead of here?
Thanks a lot bluevolt. Sure, I will add the photos. I've arelady written my comments on this forum. How do I move this to 'long term ownership experience'. Could somebody help me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Could you please also let us know about this automatic central locking stuff.
And a ownership thread after an year and no pictures , that's bad Sansi , so please upload some.
Thanks a lot Schoudury. By automatic central locking I meant the keyless entry. The body sensor just gives siron sound when someone try to damage the car when it is locked. Sure I will update the photos.
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:22   #7
BHPian

My Ritz VDI also completed 20K Kms yesterday and year old. Had the 20K service done, it came-up to Rs 6525/-. Break-up of the service charges
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ritz VDI: 365 days and 19000 Kms-photo1.jpg  

Maruti Ritz VDI: 365 days and 19000 Kms-phot02.jpg  

Last edited by srinivasmhn : 23rd March 2011 at 16:23.
srinivasmhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 15:37   #8

This is Daylight Robbery !!

My Ritz VDI went in for its 20,000 km service today at AGV motors, Kottayam, Kerala.

The initial estimate was for Rs. 4,800. I had specifically asked them not to touch the tyres ( wheel alignment and so on)

Now the SA calls me and says that the Fuel Filter needs to be changed as well and will be around Rs. 1,200 extra.

Our other car is a Ford Fiesta and it has done over 50,000 km. Never has any ford vehicle come with such service costs.

I will upload the invoice when I get a chance.
Old 5th July 2011, 12:20   #9

Rs. 6,316 for 20,000 km service

The Total Bill for the 20,000 km service for my Ritz VDI came to Rs. 6,316 yesterday.

Place : AVG Motors, Kottayam, Kerala

Compared to this the service charges for a similar 20,000 km work done on our neighbor's Ford Figo was around Rs 2,000.
Old 5th July 2011, 17:00   #10
BHPian

The Maruti service guys do a lot of unnecessary stuff every 20k, though these things will not be mentioned in the service manuals. They do stuff like engine de-carbonization, gear oil change etc etc which is really not necessary at 20k.

Please upload the invoice here. Also we really do not know if they would have done all this or just claim to do so and charge for the same.

And YES, the Fiesta/Figo TDCi service costs a fraction of the DDIS service cost which itself is lesser than a Hyundai diesels service cost.
Old 17th July 2011, 19:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
And YES, the Fiesta/Figo TDCi service costs a fraction of the DDIS service cost which itself is lesser than a Hyundai diesels service cost.
Hi could you please elaborate as to the service costs.
I am planning to change to a diesel hatch. I was considering
Ritz , Figo , Vista , i20 .
shall appreciate if you can give say 20 k service costs of the diesel cars you have.
thanks,
Kedar
Old 18th July 2011, 09:00   #12
BHPian

My Getz's service cost came to around 6k for 20k service with all filters and engine oil change. My Fiesta TDCi service cost came to around 2k.

For every paid service the Fiesta's cost comes to around 2.5k-3k max whereas my Getz Paid service costs come to around 6k.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 17:48   #13
BHPian

@krish3 !
thanks for the response.
I always thought the fords were more expensive to maintain. Is it because of longer lube change interval? Or is it that on fiesta more expensive service is at 30000km ?
Also could you give a ball point fig. of all services on fiesta till date. The smaller figo can then be assumed to have cheaper or equivalent maintenance costs.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 18th July 2011 at 17:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks