Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 12:39   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Accent @ 135,000km *DETAILED PICS*

Great review.
Regarding AC and blower speed, its expected. Over the years, dust and grime collect in the dash, leading to lesser cooling as coils get coated, and also reduced airflow.
So you have to basically do what you do for your home AC.
AC Service.
This involves removing the dash, and cleaning the coils.
Most big joints simply remove the coils to clean them, which means you have to get gas refilled.
However, many smaller setups just remove dash, and then clean coils manually using water and brush.
Labor charges for this job is approx 1100 INR in Delhi, and you do not need a gas topup either.
Old 18th April 2011, 14:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Lovely writeup covering every part of a beautiful car, my belief about an accent being a trouble free car is now reinforced.
did you have to change any suspension part in all these years? what about tyre changes?
Thanks very much! Looks like the force was with me all along (all puns intended). She's been an absolute wonder, other than that axle that was clanking and replaced. But I'm guessing with the sheer weight of the diesel engine above the front axle AND being a FWD vehicle, a high level of wear was inevitable.
Suspension: Nothing changed.
Tires: Changed at approximately 1 lac kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excellent review, thank you for sharing.

The Accent was the first sub-10 lakh rupee car to have common-rail-direct-injection diesel power. At that time, IIRC, the only other manufacturer offering a CRDi engine was Mercedes Benz (E220 CDI). This engine gave the Accent stonking performance for its time and was the pick over the neutral 1.5L petrol. Not the most refined, but super pep and fuel efficiency. I must comment that you've maintained your car rather well for the kind of running she has been through. The Accent had built a reputation for staying "rattle-free". And the interiors were a step ahead of even the more expensive OHC.
Thanks, and you're welcome. Those are very interesting points you mentioned. 7 years ago, I remember being told by someone that the engine was being imported from Detroit as they weren't mass produced in India at the time. Being our first diesel car, we were quite apprehensive about it. All we knew about diesel cars then was 'black smoke', 'winter starting problems' and 'ambassador'!
The car isn't refined at all, except for the sober looks of the accent. I think the body lines are very reassuring and clean. NVH is quite fun now, it's very relaxing to go to sleep in the back seat on long drives. The low frequency vibrations are like a massage. The interiors, I'd have to say are extremely dull. It's like dullsville in this baby. EVERYTHING is a shade of grey. I'm sure it could inspire some great depressive song writing. I'm thinking doom metal with a hint of psychedelic rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I simply love this car. Both the petrol,CRDI, VIVA,1.6 DOHC with ABS, any variant. It is amply clear that you love it too. Very honest review and may your car serve you well many more years to come. Did you remove the seat covers or haven't used them at all ? Man, and look at that engine bay. Looks new.
I do love it. I keep having these blasphemic thoughts of coaxing my old man to let me keep it and work on the body and stuff. I don't think I've uploaded pictures of the boot, cause that's where the seat covers are. What usually happens is, my mother likes soft cotton fabric, so she shops for the material for her i10 and this accent, and gets seat covers stitched from a nearby car upholstery guy. Very comfortable, and the colours she chooses are just wonderful to go with the car.
The engines generally nice and clean. Our driver is a good guy, he always keeps this car clean. But as I mentioned even in the review, she's just back from servicing. In fact, it was very silly of me to not mention this in the review, so I'll say it in quotes and bold:

"One of the rear doors windows just fell into the door. The glass just slid into the door and never came up again! While I did have a good laugh at her, because we had to cover the gap with a bed sheet, it got repaired at the service center the next morning. While she was there, we got her dry cleaned as well. The bill did come up to about 8k (I wonder why), but some parts were cleaned/flushed/topped up etc. Sorry I missed this out in the main review. I'll look up the job card/receipt and see exactly what was done".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hey BD, wonderful write up with very crisp pics in support.
Nice to know that your Accent has served your family well.
Just read through that "axle change story" and going by other member's post on that thread, it looks like all the HSC are into duping.
Glad that your Accent has been so troublefree for all these years.
All the best for your new purchase.
Thanks for posting! That service center did go through a crummy phase. But now they're very friendly and do good work. Thanks again.
PS: The crisp pics are courtesy my 5 MP android phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopash View Post
Avery comprehensive write up , enjoyed reading your post.
My friend's 2005 Accent CRDi under went a turbo replacement at 80000 odd kilometers , compared to that your Accent is in a very good condition and really fortunate to have a problem free engine

Are you sure that was your first change from stock tires in 1 lac Km , can a tire last that long ? I have seen one of my friend who used his stock tires for almost 60K Km and the condition of the tires were very bad I almost could see the iron mesh coming out of the rubber.
Turbo replacement! Was that car installed with any ECU mods or installations?

Yes, the tires were pretty much bald and suffered several punctures by then. Thanks for your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Great review.
Regarding AC and blower speed, its expected. Over the years, dust and grime collect in the dash, leading to lesser cooling as coils get coated, and also reduced airflow.
So you have to basically do what you do for your home AC.
AC Service.
This involves removing the dash, and cleaning the coils.
Most big joints simply remove the coils to clean them, which means you have to get gas refilled.
However, many smaller setups just remove dash, and then clean coils manually using water and brush.
Labor charges for this job is approx 1100 INR in Delhi, and you do not need a gas topup either.
Alright, I'll have a look at some of the AC chaps around our area. I keep seeing AC place ads with phone numbers on several cars on the road.
Old 18th April 2011, 15:11   #18
BHPian

Great review. I have to agree that the engine bay is like new. There isnt even any dust in the crevices!!!

The Accent in general was a lovely car. Simple, but troublefree. It was fun to drive as well (i had the 1.5 petrol) and it was pretty sprightly in its dynamics.

The design in particular is what i loved about the car. Even if you see the car on the roads today, the design doesnt look old & aged unlike certain new cars which have aged (design-wise) in just a couple of years. Its a very neutral design, both inside & out. The dash has good ergonomics & everything is well laid out. There is hardly anything that goes wrong in the car apart from human error

Coming to your upgrade part. Why not stay with Hyundai since this one has given you such a satisfying experience. The all new verna will be launched within a month (diesel & petrol, each having a 1.4 & 1.6 variant) & going by reviews & your needs (a comfortable car & the 1.4 diesel should be the perfect match for you) it would be perfect. At the same time, it will be cheaper than any of the D segment cars.
Old 18th April 2011, 23:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Super writeup dude!

1lac + kms with so little scratches, truely UNBELIEVABLE. I see a lot of emotions attached with the car, do you really want to dispose it? Why not have it like a third car?
Old 19th April 2011, 07:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Great review. I have to agree that the engine bay is like new. There isnt even any dust in the crevices!!!

Coming to your upgrade part. Why not stay with Hyundai since this one has given you such a satisfying experience. The all new verna will be launched within a month (diesel & petrol, each having a 1.4 & 1.6 variant) & going by reviews & your needs (a comfortable car & the 1.4 diesel should be the perfect match for you) it would be perfect. At the same time, it will be cheaper than any of the D segment cars.
Thanks very much. I have to keep reiterating that the reason why the engine looks so spotless is cause she just just got back from the service station! But still, she's really well maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Super writeup dude!

1lac + kms with so little scratches, truely UNBELIEVABLE. I see a lot of emotions attached with the car, do you really want to dispose it? Why not have it like a third car?
Thanks funky! Thing is, we already have 3 cars, and the new ones' going to be the fourth. It'll be tough having four cars. I'll see how things turn out. Thanks for posting
Old 5th June 2011, 23:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Super writeup dude!

I had to re-quote this Funky! I took ownership of the accent diesel today. My old man booked himself a spanking new Optra 2.0L diesel and said I could have the CRDi. This is going to be fun!
Old 6th June 2011, 10:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
I had to re-quote this Funky! I took ownership of the accent diesel today. My old man booked himself a spanking new Optra 2.0L diesel and said I could have the CRDi. This is going to be fun!
Nothing like it! The old horse would do very well in your hands. Just fresh it up with new alloys and tires at a bare minimum. Service the AC also

Since you would be driving it now on, do not forget to add an original Spoiler to it.
Old 6th June 2011, 12:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar

Nothing like it! The old horse would do very well in your hands. Just fresh it up with new alloys and tires at a bare minimum. Service the AC also

Since you would be driving it now on, do not forget to add an original Spoiler to it.
This is a question for all diesel/crdi gurus here. The ignition crank is now very long drawn and sounds like a 90 year old man with a wheezing cough. Takes a half pressed pedal to start it up too. Sometimes it doesn't crank at all, needs a pushing start from behind.

Service center said it needs a new solenoid switch. I can't really appreciate this from an automotive engineers point of view. Does anyone know where this solenoid switch is? Apparently it costs some 2.5k. Also, would I be better off replacing the starter motor? Any help would be appreciated
Old 7th June 2011, 11:08   #24
BHPian

I'm going to bump this. I need to know about the problem stated above or any inputs thereof before I commit to the service guys. Does this sound like an ignition module problem (i.e. 'solenoid switch') or battery, or starter motor? Battery was changed once in the lifetime of 1.40 L kms on the odo.
Old 7th June 2011, 11:48   #25
BHPian

By Design, first of all congrats on the possession of a well maintained accent..My father too has an accent Crdi which is going to touch 2 lakhs without an engine over haul.Same colour as yours.The colour is 'forest dew'.

Event though my father dont like high speeds, he takes the car to some jeep terrains.I make sure that engine oil is changed every 5000 kms. Mileage we get now is 15 kmpl and the best clocked was 21 kmpl, that was when the car was new.. i too wish he gives the car to me and book some other car..Its an absolutely stunner on high ways..

I too have heard lot of complaints on the low life of the CrDI engine..But my car has proved it wrong and i'm so happy about it..

Recently the car had a very bad accident when some kids bashed their motor bike on the car.. We gave it to some authorised service in our place but they messed the car altogether.I was not there when this happened and i would never have given it to any Hyundai service centers in kerala.. Inspite of all that, it still rock the roads..
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
By Design, first of all congrats on the possession of a well maintained accent..My father too has an accent Crdi which is going to touch 2 lakhs without an engine over haul.Same colour as yours.The colour is 'forest dew'.

Event though my father dont like high speeds, he takes the car to some jeep terrains.I make sure that engine oil is changed every 5000 kms. Mileage we get now is 15 kmpl and the best clocked was 21 kmpl, that was when the car was new.. i too wish he gives the car to me and book some other car..Its an absolutely stunner on high ways..

I too have heard lot of complaints on the low life of the CrDI engine..But my car has proved it wrong and i'm so happy about it..

Recently the car had a very bad accident when some kids bashed their motor bike on the car.. We gave it to some authorised service in our place but they messed the car altogether.I was not there when this happened and i would never have given it to any Hyundai service centers in kerala.. Inspite of all that, it still rock the roads..
That's good to know man! I haven't come across many happy CRDi's in my time. So whats the condition of your car now? Has it been fixed?

***UPDATE***
Ignition problem solved! They changed the solenoid switch and engine ignites like new once more! Cost about Rs. 2400.

AC serviced! First AC service in 7 years of ownership! Found a leak in one of the pipes, so that was replaced. AC cools well now, even on a 40 degree Delhi summer day. Car's running perfectly fine once more.

Coolant was almost empty in the tank, there was no leak, but it was topped up. I'm a bit unsure whether the tank, reservoir, and radiator concept is different as compared to my Stile MJD, but when he opened the reservoir, it was nearly empty. I'll give the manual a read through tomorrow, see whats what.

I'll post the itemized service receipt soon too, we paid about Rs. 7,500 for the above jobs. About 2,400 for the AC servicing, 2200 for the solenoid switch and the rest went on labor and that AC pipe, which also took a day to get sourced from their stockyard in Mayapuri.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
That's good to know man! I haven't come across many happy CRDi's in my time. So whats the condition of your car now? Has it been fixed?
[b]
I'm trying to fix all the mishaps caused by the Hyundai service .Condition of the car is good not in the prestine conditions as some bhpians here keep..I would always love to keep the car in excellent condition though.

Keep it rolling and you'll have many more miles and smiles on your face whenever you drive it.
Old 25th June 2011, 07:46   #28
BHPian

ByDesign,

Thanks for a very detailed review. The car is well maintained and doesn't show the age.

I have a 2004 Accent Viva CRDi and it has just crossed 1 lakh KM. There are no problems with the engine and looks like the car is good for another lakh km or so. One of my colleagues has a 2005 model which has done 175000kms without an overhaul and is still going strong.

There seems to be 2 groups of Accent CRDi's. One that develops issues after 80k and other that goes on and on. Your car seems to be in the second category and fortunately, mine seems to be too.

Good luck !

Badri
Old 25th June 2011, 08:41   #29
BHPian

ByDesign:
That is a good CRDI you have with you. As others have posted the car is remarkably fresh even after 1.4 lakh kms in the NCR. Kudos to your Dad and your trusty Driver.
Due to the astronomical Petrol Prices, second hand diesel cars are in really good demand especially within 2.5 lakhs.
Suggest you make hay while the sun shines.
Since the engine would be on its last leg, there is a good chance that it could have an imminent (albeit expensive) overhaul.
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
ByDesign:
That is a good CRDI you have with you. As others have posted the car is remarkably fresh even after 1.4 lakh kms in the NCR. Kudos to your Dad and your trusty Driver.
Due to the astronomical Petrol Prices, second hand diesel cars are in really good demand especially within 2.5 lakhs.
Suggest you make hay while the sun shines.
Since the engine would be on its last leg, there is a good chance that it could have an imminent (albeit expensive) overhaul.
First of all, that 800 in your pic is wonderful looking. I've been looking for a second hand Suzuki like that for a while.

Interesting update now folks, we've sold the car! Our trusty CRDi was sold for 1.5 L. We could have pushed for 2, but we knew the person well and we're not really in need for money like that.

An end of an era gentlemen! So many memories associated with that car! She saw us through many tough weather and road situations with utmost confidence where even SUV's had failed! A constant FE of 15 kmpl and above in the city even above 80k km! All hail the trusty Accent CRDi!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks