Old 6th May 2011, 11:55   #1
BHPian

Audi A4 vs VW Passat vs Volvo S60

Hi guys,

I need to buy a new car in Delhi and I am stuck between:
  1. Audi A4 1.8TFSI/2.0TDI
  2. VW Passat 2.0 TDI Highline
  3. Volvo S60 D5
This car will be chauffeur driven 99% of the times. It is used whenever I travel to Delhi so it probably won't see a lot of miles on the odo.

My main requirement is that it be comfortable and reliable. I was originally set on the VW but due to suggestions from friends/family the A4 and S60 got added in the mix.

My main concerns with the cars is about interior space. I have no idea how big/small the S60 would be on the inside. Also, how would these cars compare to the A6 or 525d in terms of interior space? I am afraid that the A4 would be too tight as my A6 feels just about right in terms of space. Another thing that is pointing me away from an Audi is the fact that all 3 of my Audi's have issues with the cars aging really quick. I am willing to put this issue aside considering that the mileage on this car would not be too much but is still a concern in the back of my mind.

Any advice on the above cars would help.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:44   #2
BHPian

Re: Audi A4 vs VW Passat vs Volvo S60

You are right. A4 is very tiny on the inside, especially if you are tall/big-built. Audi reliability should be ok to live with. I mean, its German, so one can't expect the reliability of a Honda.

Passat however is a better bet for the simple reason that in he future, I'm talking of a horizon of say 3 - 4 years, VW will probably have the best service network/infrastructure between the brands you have mentioned since they have a wider product range appealing to different segments.

I don't know much about the S60, but Volvos traditionally are built like tanks. Combine this with Volvo safety features and you have a winning combination.

I'd say test drive all. And preferably, speak to people who own such cars and see their cars condition/history after a year or two of ownership. Sit in their cars to see how they have aged if this is possible.
Aditya666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 12:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Passat.
2011 model as against the 08 A4 model. More standard features on the Passat vis-a-vis the A4. The Passat has a 170bhp engine where as the 2.0 TDI A4 is yet to get it (still sports the engine in 140bhp tune). Yes ,the A4 being a 08 model still looks better than the new Passat IMO yet looks apart, i dont see any reason why you would want to pay more for the Audi when the VW is offering you so much extra (unless snob value is a huge deal for you). Besides, you already have Audis in your stable and the Passat should be a practical addition. Rear seat space should more or less be identical in the A4 and the Passat going by dimensions. I have the A4 and have been in the A6 and believe me , the difference in rear seat space is far from dramatic. What would also seal the deal in the Passat's favour for me is that 99% of the time it would be chauffeur driven. I would go with the Audi if i wanted to enjoy driving it. For rear seat comfort the Passat would keep you more than satisfied. Lastly, though not dramatically,i would expect the passat's ride at lower speeds to be slightly less bouncy than the Audi's. (16 inchers vs the Audi's 17s)
Coming to the Swede, I personally love the S60's looks and appeal and it also is fully loaded with a reasonably good diesel unit. ( that petrol is va-va voom ! ).Would always get you the stares (for the right reasons) and exclusivity. Good product. Having said that, Volvo's A.S.S issues would always make me apprehensive of going forward with the buy. I perhaps would be a lot more comfortable buying a Volvo when they are better established in India.
Verdict - The A4 is a beautiful car but the VW Passat makes the most sense by far (you end up paying a lot less compared to its cousin).
Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 6th May 2011 at 12:53.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Why not add the Superb to that list also? It is far better than any of the ones you mentioned when it comes to being chauffeured. The rear has massive legroom, and the 140bhp diesel wont be too bad when you decide to drive.

Of course if you don't need all that space, then the Passat is the one to go for. Its got just about as many features as the Audi and a more powerful engine. The backseat though is not as large as the Superb, though larger than the Audi.

The S60 is supposed to be more comfortable in the back seat than the Audi, don't know where it stands compared to the Passat. The Volvo also has the most powerful engine of the lot, and will be quite fun to drive. This is also a good choice, if you have a dealer nearby.
Old 6th May 2011, 13:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Out of the 3, I will recommend the Passat. On space front, the Passat is more in the A6, 5-series category, and I feel it should have the best back seat of all the 3.
S60 is an exciting option, and it will have all the exclusivity, but it is on par with the 3 series and A4 when it comes to space.
Old 6th May 2011, 13:33   #6
BHPian

i second akshay, the superb is a great buy and value, if you want to go exclusive then the Tank S60 is a good option. Having said that, the kind of comfort, options and leg room the Superb can offer, its hard to beat IMO. Good luck with your buy.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:26   #7
BHPian

I third it, Superb has ample rear space, and is very comfortable at the same time, also you'll save a lakh or two over the Passat.

You can also look at the Accord, it does not have seats at the back, it has sofa's :-) and this car is as reliable as it gets.

If you have to choose among the three you mentioned, Passat it is, sorry don't know about the rear seat space of the S60.

Last edited by xtremeshock : 6th May 2011 at 14:30.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:01   #8
BHPian

The new Passat seems to be the best VFM among the three cars you are considering. The Volvo with their wafer-thin dealerships across the country is a bit of a gamble. The Superb of course offers better value for the price if you are fine with the Skoda branding.
Old 6th May 2011, 18:48   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avneeshj View Post
  1. Audi A4 1.8TFSI/2.0TDI
  2. VW Passat 2.0 TDI Highline
  3. Volvo S60 D5

This car will be chauffeur driven 99% of the times.
Man, you need to rework that list! Neither of these cars, especially the Volvo S60 or the A4, are chauffeur driven material. The best options for you are:

Skoda Superb : Reliability & sorry after-sales aside, a good car

Honda Accord : Better back seat than the Superb for in-city use. Very reliable. No diesel. No equipment. A safe buy.

Nissan Teana : Best backseat in the segment and Japanese reliability. No diesel. Check it out, you'll be amazed.

You might want to wait for the new Sonata as well.
Old 9th May 2011, 11:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, you need to rework that list! Neither of these cars, especially the Volvo S60 or the A4, are chauffeur driven material. The best options for you are:

Skoda Superb : Reliability & sorry after-sales aside, a good car

Honda Accord : Better back seat than the Superb for in-city use. Very reliable. No diesel. No equipment. A safe buy.

Nissan Teana : Best backseat in the segment and Japanese reliability. No diesel. Check it out, you'll be amazed.

You might want to wait for the new Sonata as well.
I understand what you mean when you say that. But this car will be used rarely when I am traveling to Delhi. And with these cars, they fit in my budget and will also be decent when I drive it myself in the evenings and such.

As far as the others go, the Superb has been recommended by quite a few people here but the car's design just puts me to sleep.

Accord is a solid car no doubt but it's showing its age and the minor cosmetic upgrades that Honda does are just not enough.

The Teana is a good looking car but I have heard horror stories about after sales service issues from a couple of X-trail owners and decided not to venture down the Nissan road till it gets better.

I have decided to go with the Passat after a test drive and checking it out side by side my A6 and 525d and my friend's A4. One thing I want to add is that pictures/videos don't do the car justice at all. The car looks much better in person. I had expected it to look really drab in comparison to the other 2 but it holds its own just fine.

So VW it is then. Now am stuck between Mocha, white or silver. haha
Old 9th May 2011, 12:10   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not consider the Volvo S60 also once? Did you check it out in person? GTO's review of the car has just been put up. Go through that too once. I feel why not be a little different this time. VW and Audi will be somewhat similar since you already own a Audi. Surely the Volvo scores over Passat on most counts. And since you will be using the car in Delhi, After sales shall not be too tough I am guessing.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:57   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So VW it is then. Now am stuck between Mocha, white or silver. haha
Congratulations Avneesh! That was pretty fast, and I think the VW fits well to your requirements. Are you opting for the highline? And I think the Mocha shade is quite cool
Old 9th May 2011, 13:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why not consider the Volvo S60 also once? Did you check it out in person? GTO's review of the car has just been put up. Go through that too once. I feel why not be a little different this time. VW and Audi will be somewhat similar since you already own a Audi. Surely the Volvo scores over Passat on most counts. And since you will be using the car in Delhi, After sales shall not be too tough I am guessing.

I was really interested in the Volvo because I love the way it looks and also it would be different from all my other cars. However I spoke to the dealer in Delhi and was told that out of the 2 diesel variants they have, one will only be delivered in November and the other one was over my budget while also having a 1-2 month delivery period. I need the car within a week or so and that is not possible in this case.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man. A very fast decision indeed. Thats amazing. Anyways will eagerly wait for your ownership reviews.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 9th May 2011 at 19:36. Reason: didnt read the post about avneesh test driving
Old 9th May 2011, 20:06   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as the others go, the Superb has been recommended by quite a few people here but the car's design just puts me to sleep.

I have decided to go with the Passat after a test drive and checking it out side by side my A6 and 525d and my friend's A4. One thing I want to add is that pictures/videos don't do the car justice at all. The car looks much better in person. I had expected it to look really drab in comparison to the other 2 but it holds its own just fine.
I hope Superb comes with a facelift where they tweak the design a bit, especially the rear - then it will be a good package.

The thing I didn't like about Passat is the interiors, especially the rear cabin is a bit let down. They actually look very similar to the outgoing model.

Right now, I too would pick Passat given the boring rear of Superb and the fancy kit level of Passat.

Most Viewed