Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 19:28   #1

BMW 316 Vs Merc C class

Friends,

I am moving out of India for employment and I am faced with the predicament of choosing between a BMW 316 or Merc C class for my company provided car. I've read some online threads comparing the two and I would like to seek the verdict here - the BEST forum known to me where I know I will get real unbiased opinions. Please help me out.

Cheers

K.
Old 28th May 2011, 08:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW 316 Vs Merc C class

Which Merc C variant? And where is the city/country where you will be owning this?
Old 29th May 2011, 15:49   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

316 petrol? Is it used, because AFAIK, this variant has ceased production (unless you talking about the diesel, or a used petrol). Either ways, the 316 makes for a very poor BMW, what with its small engine & cramped interiors.

What engine with the C Class? Even the entry-level C makes more power than the 316. Considering it's a company-provided car (lucky you!!), there is no worry about reliability or maintenance. On the information provided thus far, I recommend the C Class. More power, more space, a whole lot more comfortable and incredibly easy to drive.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 17:46   #4

Thank you for the responses so far. It really helps.

I am relocating to Belgium and it would be a BMW 316D or a Mercedes C Class CDI 220. Well, the other option that I would perhaps have is a VW Passat. Now, I dont know if that changes the equation at all. Having said that I personally felt the Passat is a truly great car when I drove it while there last time around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
316 petrol? Is it used, because AFAIK, this variant has ceased production (unless you talking about the diesel, or a used petrol). Either ways, the 316 makes for a very poor BMW, what with its small engine & cramped interiors.

What engine with the C Class? Even the entry-level C makes more power than the 316. Considering it's a company-provided car (lucky you!!), there is no worry about reliability or maintenance. On the information provided thus far, I recommend the C Class. More power, more space, a whole lot more comfortable and incredibly easy to drive.
Mate - relocating to Belgium. 220 CDI is the Merc C version

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Which Merc C variant? And where is the city/country where you will be owning this?

Last edited by Eddy : 29th May 2011 at 18:47. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 30th May 2011, 09:56   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjagannathan View Post
I am relocating to Belgium and it would be a BMW 316D or a Mercedes C Class CDI 220.
Without doubt, the Mercedes C220 CDI. Much more power, and all the other advantages I mentioned earlier. Plus, it's a newer / fresher model too. I must say, you are literally having your cake & eating it too. Owning a Benz and getting someone else pay for the maintenance . On a related note, it's unfortunate that Mercedes India doesn't offer the same all-inclusive service packages that are available in Belgium. IIRC, the maintenance plans run as long as 7 years there.

Congrats on the career progression & the car. Drive safe in Europe.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:24   #6

Once again thanks a lot for re-confirming your verdict! My job is a difficult one and the emotions range from euphoric to suicidal in matter of hours at my job!

But leaving my trademark cynicism aside - this is in fact a great one.

Just for the sake of curiosity - where does the VW Passat rank in the mix here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks