Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2012, 20:23   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinking of buying a Classic Car : Which one?

Here goes; you might have read some of my earlier posts. I've just arrived in Delhi and I'll be here for a number of years. I have lived/worked in Europe and the USA. Currently I own a 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider, a 1982 Mercedes W123 and a 2002 Jaguar XJR. All in storage in my home country the Netherlands.

I like "classic cars'. Not necessarily old, but classic in the sense of being a real nice and special car, such as my XJR.

And I like to maintain them myself. Some of the cars I would consider, Landrover, earlier models RangeRover, older Mercedes, Triumph, Jeep, Toyota Landcruiser or similar. Maybe an old Saab, Volvo.

I want an old car, but one that I can fiddle with and that by and large with some loving T&C can be reasonable reliable. I do need to able to drive it. i don't mind filling up the boot with tools and parts, but still, it does need to go.

I've been looking at various Internet sites, but most of the sites i seem to find are just about second hand cars. Nothing wrong with that. I've bought any number of second hand cars over the last thirty years for my wife. The last one being a nice little Ford Fiesta. But for myself it needs to be a little more special. I'd consider one of this Ambassador taxi cars as well. As long as it is a bit special (special for me that is, being a foreigner to Delhi) I'd be interested.

Where would i find Mercedes W123, W124/126, older E class etc. Or some nice Landrovers from the 80s/90s. Or a Toyate/Jeep equivalent?

Where do I find these sort of cars in Delhi, India?

Whilst I hope for some responses, I'm trying to figure out how to obtain an Indian drivers license. Went to see a very nice Royal Enfield showroom here in Gurgaon today. That might be something too!

Now, it gets really confusing. I spend the last hour and half surfing the net on getting info on how to obtain an Indian car/bike driver license. Man, this is getting complicated. Still, if I go by the number of cars and bikes that are on the road here in Delhi/Gurgaon plenty people seem to be able to pass this hurdle.

Thanks,

Jeroen
Old 13th October 2012, 22:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Thinking of buying a Classic Car : Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Where would i find Mercedes W123, W124/126, older E class etc. Or some nice Landrovers from the 80s/90s. Or a Toyate/Jeep equivalent?

Good quality Classic Mercs will be easier to find at reasonable prices, especially the W124. Sourcing spares too for this car would be easier. Toyota Landcruisers and Prados might be easier to find too.

Classifieds, some used car dealers, BHPians from Delhi can help..

Quote:
Whilst I hope for some responses, I'm trying to figure out how to obtain an Indian drivers license. Went to see a very nice Royal Enfield showroom here in Gurgaon today. That might be something too!

Now, it gets really confusing. I spend the last hour and half surfing the net on getting info on how to obtain an Indian car/bike driver license. Man, this is getting complicated. Still, if I go by the number of cars and bikes that are on the road here in Delhi/Gurgaon plenty people seem to be able to pass this hurdle.
Getting a driving license here is easy, especially the driving test part which does not really exist and just a formality at most places.

AFAIK driving licence from other countries work fine here.

Do you stay in Gurgaon? If Yes, please try to give us a visit at our local quick meets. We have a regular who owns a W124, he might turn out to be of some help.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 09:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Thinking of buying a Classic Car : Which one?

You could go through this thread and track it to find if something interests you. Also look at our classifieds section, http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/ where I see a few classics listed.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 20:43   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think a W124 will be best for you.

1. You already have a certain familiarity level with old Mercs.

2. Tata sold these Mercs officially in the mid-nineties. There are plenty of examples and thus, choice.

3. They trade hands for cheap while parts availability is hassle-free.

4. The reasonably-maintained ones are reliable long-termers.

The 124 really suits your needs to the T

Here's the story of an expat and his W124 experience : Linky

Good luck hunting!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 09:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Jeroen,

Welcome to India, and hope you have a memorable stay. Like most others have mentioned, an older Mercedes should be the right way to start, since they are relatively easier to find than any other contemporary classic. But rather than a 124 I would urge to look around for a nice 123 (or even a 114/5) - they definitely do have a more 'classic' look, what with all the extra trims. They can still be supremely reliable if well looked after, and yet will also keep you busy on the weekends for regular upkeep. Spares are not too hard to find, and not prohibitively expensive either. Keep an eye out for a nice clean 230 petrol or 300D, many have been languishing in wealthy industrialists house seeing little use over the last years. I've also been told to steer clear of automatics, which apparently have some gremlins. An original Delhi car would probably be in better condition than something from Bombay, since rust is a notorious problem.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 17:15   #6
lsp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

One place where you may want to look is Palika Bhawan. Couple of years ago I entered the basement to see some old classics, even vintage cars. Some were under cover and I couldn't determine what car it was.

Please be informed that the dealers in Palika Bhawan are no better than the dealers elsewhere. My experience with one of them couple of years ago wasn't very good.

Good luck with your hunt!!

Met vriendelijke groet
LSP

Thinking of buying a Classic Car : Which one?-palika-bhawan.jpg
Google Maps Link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=palika...India&t=m&z=16

Last edited by lsp : 18th October 2012 at 17:18.
Old 20th August 2013, 16:37   #7
BHPian

Hello Jeoren,
Hope you would have finalised your purchase by now!

Just want to let you know that there are some rules set by Corporates regarding travelling/conveyance of the expats locating to India. Please consider talking to concerned persons in your company regarding driving in India

This thread will provide a deeper insight :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...trictions.html
Old 1st September 2013, 06:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post
Hello Jeoren,
Hope you would have finalised your purchase by now!

Just want to let you know that there are some rules set by Corporates regarding travelling/conveyance of the expats locating to India. Please consider talking to concerned persons in your company regarding driving in India

This thread will provide a deeper insight :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...trictions.html
Thanks. I'm aware I posted in that thread as well.
Jeroen
Old 1st September 2013, 16:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

As Karl pointed out w123 is a good bet, I recently sold (wife smiles more often now) my immaculate diesel to a friend in Pune after enjoying my 2 year love affair/fling with her, kept me busy bringing her as close to show room as possible. Parts are available and you always have your home base to depend on for the couple of locally rare parts to source. There was a nice beige coloured mumbai registered 240d car in Delhi, she seemed very straight and intact, was with a guy who had a thing for mb's. I rejected close to 40 odd cars before picking mine up as although there are several still around 90 percent are abused and inaccurate, and folks ask for ridiculous prices for junks. Mind you good cars are always worth good money. I am sure you will know it when you see one as you are familiar with classics and get your hands dirty. Pls don't hesitate to pm me if you need any help, god knows I have spent half my life getting acquainted with w123's and have keenly followed the domestic scene for this particular model. Cheeiro

Last edited by canonball : 1st September 2013 at 16:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks