Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2014, 09:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Mercedes B-Class or BMW 1-Series as a daily driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
My friend was in the luxury hatchback segment and she was absolutely pleased with the V40. I would really recommend it to your parents. One last test drive wouldn't hurt now would it The B-Class stands out as the only really practical car amongst the Krauts and I would still congratulate you on the car BUT the Volvo is the only other car that can compete with it and it just doesn't sit well with me knowing that you couldn't give it a chance. It strikes a perfect balance between practical and desireable IMO.

Still believe the B180 was a solid decision so wish your parents several trouble free kilometers in that thing if you're still sticking with it

Cheers!
Thanks Ishaan! Ok, in that case even though the B180 is almost final I'll show them the V40 tomorrow after the B Class and update you guys about the experience...
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
Hi,
I am seriously considering the B180 CDI and may purchase it in the next 2 days. I am keenly waiting for your review. By when do you think you will be able to add it? Look forward. Thanks!
I have already written the review. I guess by today evening it should be up. I had used the Assembly Line section so all I needed to do was to ask the mods to move it to the relevant section. I did that today morning. *fingers crossed*
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How did your experience with the Volvo V40 go? I know you have made your decision but just interested in your experience with the V40 and its comparison with the B class.
Mohit i remember briefly having the conversation about V40 with you. Let me try and put down what i feel works for the B more than the V40 and of course keeping in mind Adi's requirements.

First and foremost, the V40 is nearly 3 lacs more expensive than the B after discounts etc on road in Delhi. The quality of interiors in both is at par but ingress for the older people in the house if far more convenient in the B. Merc has designed the interiors of the B beautifully. The cabin feels far more airy than the V40 thanks to generous use of the big glasses. The most important distinguishing factor among the two is the Mercedes gearbox. It is an absolute gem to use in city conditions. Also remember that Volvo seriously lacks the after sales support that Mercdes has to offer. If i am not wrong the car would be used in Kolkata and i am not sure as to how good the Volvo support there is. Plus they seriously need to do some brand recognition activities. Unfortunately people still associate Volvo with commercial vehicles in India despite Volvo having amazing passenger cars.

No doubt the V40 is a brilliant vehicle but the B just edges it out on practicality aspect. More so when grandparents would be using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Thanks Ishaan! Ok, in that case even though the B180 is almost final I'll show them the V40 tomorrow after the B Class and update you guys about the experience...
Adi just a quick tip. I am assuming you would be going to Kashyap Auto. The sales guys there wont offer any discounts. Speak to the GM directly. He usually gives in after a little bit.

All the best for the drives over the weekend.
Cheers
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 2nd May 2014 at 11:41. Reason: Replying to Adi's post
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 15:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Mohit i remember briefly having the conversation about V40 with you. Let me try and put down what i feel works for the B more than the V40 and of course keeping in mind Adi's requirements.
Here's why I think the V40 trumps the B-Class. Sure the B-Class has a very slick gearbox; a department where the V40 feels a decade older BUT the V40 still has more punch and can easily out accelerate the Mercedes. The Volvo's steering also inspires a little more confidence and better feel of the road. The Volvo's ride quality is a country mile ahead of the Merc. It has also got bragging rights over features provided; reverse camera, park assist etc as well as more safety features too. The Volvo's seats are much larger, better cushioned and more supportive. Combined with the better ride quality, it offers superior comfort levels. Also while the B might be taller, the colours in the cabin, that floating dash, and the overall less fussy swedish design inside, makes the Volvo feel a airy and less claustrophobic.

The B-Class to me, only offers a good gearbox (powertrain is still lackluster), better headroom at the back, and is 3 lakhs cheaper. In every other way, I don't understand the point; it loses out on several other departments even when compared to far cheaper locally manufactured stuff like why pay so much for less comfy seats, bad ride and an under-powered motor? While it may be more practical than the A, 1er and Mini, it isn't a practical choice/package on its own and still feels like it is bought only for the badge. The Volvo on the other hand, feels every bit more worth the money you spend on it. The only drawbacks being a slightly less refined motor, not as much rear head-room owing to the swooping roof line, and dealership network. (here in Hyderabad it isn't so bad. Not sure elsewhere though)

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd May 2014 at 15:06.
Old 2nd May 2014, 15:27   #35
BHPian

[quote=IshaanIan;3425830]Here's why I think the V40 trumps the B-Class. The Volvo's steering also inspires a little more confidence and better feel of the road. The Volvo's ride quality is a country mile ahead of the Merc. It has also got bragging rights over features provided; reverse camera, park assist etc as well as more safety features too. The Volvo's seats are much larger, better cushioned and more supportive. Combined with the better ride quality, it offers superior comfort levels. Also while the B might be taller, the colours in the cabin, that floating dash, and the overall less fussy swedish design inside, makes the Volvo feel a airy and less claustrophobic.
QUOTE]

I am going to disagree on the steering feel. I test drove both of them back to back in March and i felt the steering and the ride of the Mercedes to be leagues ahead of the V40. The Merc rides on 16 inch rubber in the diesel avatar and this helps the ride a lot. The merc not only has much more headroom, it also trumps the V40 in shoulder-room. Its a lot wider (nearly 200mm i think). Which makes the cabin very very airy. The Merc is also nearly a 150kg lighter than the Volvo. Also the boot of the Volvo is useless. The loading bay is narrow and its just not that well planned. Merc has a almost 180 ltr advantage here as well. I say this because when i was looking for a car in Feb, i went into each and every detail. The engine on the volve feels very rough. Yes, the front seats of the Volvo hug you well enough, but not everyone may like that. Remember that it does restrict some movement when seated. As far as safety features are concerned, both are nearly at par. The MY2014 B Class get the reverse camera now!

I had said this to Mohit when we had met and i repeat it again: The V40 is a young man's car- its just a devilishly good looking playboy. The Merc however, is a sensible car that can be used by all the family.
Had i not been married and wanted an expensive hatch, it would have been the V40 or the A Class. In fact a very close friend of mine brought a B for his wife simply because the child seat fit well enough at the back seat than it did in the V40.

Just my two cents!

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 15:40   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Not specific to V40, but in general I have considered buying Volvo cars in the past. They match the build quality of the trio, tech loaded and have the most fabulous seats. Terrific seats - which was the main attraction for me. But I could never pull the trigger because the dash-layout is weird. As a driver, I am looking at the steering, dash, air vents, cluster of buttons, etc. all of these bits lack flair/feel-good factor. They have fixed the exterior styling but they really have to hire someone half-decent to do their cabin design. They use good quality materials but the layout, shapes, etc. are all super dull. Design is subjective, so if someone is happy with the cabin, then it is a great choice.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 00:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
I have already written the review. I guess by today evening it should be up. I had used the Assembly Line section so all I needed to do was to ask the mods to move it to the relevant section. I did that today morning. *fingers crossed*
Not published yet... This service needs to speed up... They should start a tatkaal seva or something to publish stuffs quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Adi just a quick tip. I am assuming you would be going to Kashyap Auto. The sales guys there wont offer any discounts. Speak to the GM directly. He usually gives in after a little bit.

All the best for the drives over the weekend.
Cheers
Rohan
Checking it out at T&T Mathura Road, Rohan. Will update you as soon as I drive both the petrol and diesel variants back to back.

Quote:
Here's why I think the V40 trumps the B-Class. Sure the B-Class has a very slick gearbox; a department where the V40 feels a decade older BUT the V40 still has more punch and can easily out accelerate the Mercedes. The Volvo's steering also inspires a little more confidence and better feel of the road. The Volvo's ride quality is a country mile ahead of the Merc. It has also got bragging rights over features provided; reverse camera, park assist etc as well as more safety features too. The Volvo's seats are much larger, better cushioned and more supportive. Combined with the better ride quality, it offers superior comfort levels. Also while the B might be taller, the colours in the cabin, that floating dash, and the overall less fussy swedish design inside, makes the Volvo feel a airy and less claustrophobic.

The B-Class to me, only offers a good gearbox (powertrain is still lackluster), better headroom at the back, and is 3 lakhs cheaper. In every other way, I don't understand the point; it loses out on several other departments even when compared to far cheaper locally manufactured stuff like why pay so much for less comfy seats, bad ride and an under-powered motor? While it may be more practical than the A, 1er and Mini, it isn't a practical choice/package on its own and still feels like it is bought only for the badge. The Volvo on the other hand, feels every bit more worth the money you spend on it. The only drawbacks being a slightly less refined motor, not as much rear head-room owing to the swooping roof line, and dealership network. (here in Hyderabad it isn't so bad. Not sure elsewhere though)
As Rohan said, and as you mentioned in your post above the need of the hour for this situation is all the points that you mentioned under the positive aspects of the B-Class. I really don't feel the motor is that bad for city driving. Plus, I feel the handling is the best of the lot despite being a FWD. Trust me when I first saw the car I had went in a 525d E60 which is one of the best handling cars around and was very unwilling to throw the B around the corners when I took it for my first test drive, but when the sales rep insisted I did throw it on couple of corners and damn I was surprised with the ability this thing has. Nothing like a RWD car but I'd say one of the best FWD I have driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Not specific to V40, but in general I have considered buying Volvo cars in the past. They match the build quality of the trio, tech loaded and have the most fabulous seats. Terrific seats - which was the main attraction for me. But I could never pull the trigger because the dash-layout is weird. As a driver, I am looking at the steering, dash, air vents, cluster of buttons, etc. all of these bits lack flair/feel-good factor. They have fixed the exterior styling but they really have to hire someone half-decent to do their cabin design. They use good quality materials but the layout, shapes, etc. are all super dull. Design is subjective, so if someone is happy with the cabin, then it is a great choice.
I haven't really seen the V40 yet but when I saw the S60 I was very let down with the interior quality. +1 that they need a new team for their interior designing.

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 3rd May 2014 at 00:18.
Old 3rd May 2014, 00:23   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't really seen the V40 yet but when I saw the S60 I was very let down with the interior quality. +1 that they need a new team for their interior designing.
Sorry for being off topic but was this theold S60 or the new one? Also did you mean interior quality or design? Volvo still imports all its cars and to be honest quality wise it was at par if not superior to the rivals.
Old 3rd May 2014, 07:51   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Sorry for being off topic but was this theold S60 or the new one? Also did you mean interior quality or design? Volvo still imports all its cars and to be honest quality wise it was at par if not superior to the rivals.
Sorry I meant the interior design... This was before I bought my F30... The other deal breaker was it being a FWD and they had discontinued the AWD models for India.
Old 3rd May 2014, 13:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Not published yet... This service needs to speed up... They should start a tatkaal seva or something to publish stuffs quickly
Hahahaha. You are right bud!
It is still not up. I am not sure whether pestering the mods with repeated "Report Post" messages will help so I am just gonna wait it out till today evening.
Old 7th May 2014, 12:44   #41
BHPian

Just a quick update guys... I have finalised on the Mercedes B180 Sports MY14! Bigger rims, ventilated rotors, better tires, night package front grille and panoramic sunroof is the reason for choosing petrol over the diesel. Will be booking it in a day or two from Mumbai. Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 12:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Just a quick update guys... I have finalised on the Mercedes B180 Sports MY14! Bigger rims, ventilated rotors, better tires, night package front grille and panoramic sunroof is the reason for choosing petrol over the diesel. Will be booking it in a day or two from Mumbai. Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.
Perfect decision! Congratulations to your Grandpa as well! Get it in Red color.

What deal did you get?
Old 8th May 2014, 12:59   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations. Perfect decision
Do let us know what colour you have finalized and what deal you are getting.

BTW, What is night package?
Old 8th May 2014, 13:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tasty decision However, have you driven this particular model? Cause when I did, the bigger rims seemed to hamper ride quality a lot.
Old 8th May 2014, 13:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Tasty decision However, have you driven this particular model? Cause when I did, the bigger rims seemed to hamper ride quality a lot.
I'll take your word but the car has 225/45 so that shouldn't be too bad and the suspension is more on the softer side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Perfect decision! Congratulations to your Grandpa as well! Get it in Red color.

What deal did you get?
Thanks! It's gonna be in white as the red won't suit him IMO and also it'd go well with our all white brigade.

The MY2014 has a waiting period of 4 weeks so no discounts as such... I'll be giving the RC of my other cars so I'll probably get the QuickPark thrown in complimentary as a corporate deal. The car already has rear cameras but the QuickPark would certainly be helpful when mated to it. For the deal, it's approximately 31L on road JH with our traditional 0066 registration and zero dep insurance

Planning to get gloss black mirror caps along with black tri star centre caps for wheels along.

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 8th May 2014 at 13:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks