Team-BHP - Camry A/T or Superb TDi?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Camry A/T or Superb TDi? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/15367-camry-t-superb-tdi.html)

After a lot of :Frustrati I have finally boiled my choices down to two cars- The Superb TDi and New Camry A/T.

My dad and I have been looking to buy a new car ever since we sold our C-class last year. I have been waiting for BMW to start production of the 5 series in India ever since but i think that is gonna take another one year and we can't wait that long. Maybe next year we will buy the 5 series and sell my accord which is due to be sold too, but that is put on a hold for now.

The options considered so far
E-Class We almost booked the new E-class but after a few drives in it I feel its not much different from the C-class on the side. The interiors are too cramped for a car of it's price, even my accord has much more interior space when compared to the E. Hence that was ruled out.

A6 Was considering this strongly but my father was put off with the car when it was sent home for a test drive, the car's AC and some electronic system failed completly and had to be taken back. The car was brand new and still acted up like this. The audi also works out more expensive than the E-class.

C-Class Have already owned a c-class and have had a horrid experience with it so am not even considering it as an option as we are looking for a roamier car.

Honda Accord Since I already have a 2003 accord i thought it would be a good idea to move up as i find the new accord too common on bombay roads.

Sooo, as of now my fondness is more for the Camry as Toyota service in India is excellent, the car is fresh, packs alot of features and has a right mix of power/FE (More on that when i take a test drive this week). Yes it is overpriced but every car in India is when considering segments above the accord.

The superb looks dated but i love it for the TDi engine and rear legroom. The only things thats drawing me towards this car is the diesel engine, besides that i dont see too many + points to this car as it has almost the same features as the Camry such as Xenon's etc. Skoda service is also not half as good as Toyotas. However, if someone knows of heavy discounts going on the Superb do let me know or if a facelift is due then i will consider it more strongly.

Need your insights on the same.Which one would you pick ?

who said tht camry was above accord??
Quote:

Yes it is overpriced but every car in India is when considering segments above the accord.

What he meant to say was that its still a generation ahead of the Accord. Its a fresh car yes and thats why its commanding a higher price, so you can consider it to be notch above the accord's segment in the current indian scenario.

The Superb is good vfm, but i think the camry will take my vote here, mainly because its still exclusive. In delhi it has a 6 month waiting period (which i believe is artificially created to increase demand), dunno about mumbai...

Sahil, I'd go for the Camry.
How do you weigh the Camry's engine vs the TDi ? And isnt interior space good in the Camry also?

I would vote for the superb.

Diesel is the need of the day and Superb has gizmoz all around that Camry can only think of.

But camry is a better selling car. The looks of camry look as if lifted straight of Mazda6 where Mazda looks better.

Skoda's build is also better than camry.

why pay a premium when you can have value for money?

plus though camry is exclusive now, it will be owned by every Tom(dick and harry cant afford it. LOL), while Superb Tdi still remains exclusive.

For me Skoda is a better upamarket brand than Toyota. But then I am more inclined towards diesel efficient European cars too, instead of petrol efficient Japs.

I have voted for Camry. As it is newer design than Superb and in my opinion Superb looks more Octivish.

go for a camry, i have come across many people who think the LAURA / OCTAVIA / SUPERB look all the same a lay man cant really make out the difference that easily. i once mistook a laura as a octavia !! form a distance all look at same. the camry is fresh new generation. and the front look of the car is something i loved.

I read in one of the automagazine (the one that talked about all the new diesel cars being launched) that the skoda superb ex-show room price was around 16.5L (which was the same for the laura!). Is that true? Anybody knows the On road price for the superb?

Unless you want the diesel option, the Camry will seal the deal. Not only is it the latest generation but the ownership experience (reliability, service, cost) will be far superior.

Why dont you test-drive either?

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangaraj
I read in one of the automagazine (the one that talked about all the new diesel cars being launched) that the skoda superb ex-show room price was around 16.5L (which was the same for the laura!). Is that true? Anybody knows the On road price for the superb?

on road superb: Rs 23 Lakhs, Laura Rs 19.2L

secondhand superb in mumbai - asking prices pterol / diesel Rs 19 L - no takers so far! One on ebay.in/ one in TOI mumbai

Go for Camry. At least here in India that has better image than Superb(Skoda). And remember all those horrid stories on Skoda A*S including the one from Ludhiana.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...go-dharna.html

Hi SAHIL,

well, for u, i wud recommend the 5 Series. the 520D, now i assume they have it readily available in india, dont they? please let me know why its not, coz i have seen quiet a few brand new 5 series in hyd recently. lovely car, and BMW is the king of all in this segment.

Other than that, LAURA would be a more better choice, as its got a fabulous engine, fab gear box, and amazing features, it is more equiped than the Superb both feature vise and technology vise. thou, the Superb's V6 tdi Engine is good, but u wont get to use it out much, as well take the Laura and have fun with it.

But if u are not for the Laura, then the Skoda Superb Tdi is the way to go, imho...! yes, its lovely, looks classy, not sporty. the new Camry, looks good from the front, but the rear is horrible.

if u are inclined for an diesel engine then its the skoda superb......or else the camry it is vfm,good servicing etc etc

Thanks for all the replies guys. The poll clearly picks the Camry as of now but the only problem is that i enquired with the Toyota showrooms in bombay today and was disappointed to know that there is a 2-3 month wait on the car! However I did get the price list and the auto version cost 21.69 ex-thane with a road tax of 3.13 Lakhs! I wonder why the RTO tax is so high on this car? Almost 14% ! Whereas on the superb it is 7% RTO

I test drove the Superb today, the car is pretty damn quick. And has loads of legroom too...the only problem that i came across was the steering. I found it a lil too heavy. Maybe the car i test drove was faulty, so am going to check out a newer one this week before i make the decison.

I need to buy the car before Sept so that we get the entire years depreciation. The camry doesnt seem to be in my luck because of its long wait. Am going to try and call more showrooms out of mumbai to check if they can give me delivery before sept.

I have been hearing that the second and sixth gears tend to slip in the automatic transmission on some Camry's here in Toronto. Don't know if Toyota have sorted out that problem now.