Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 19:20   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-owned Luxury: Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7-Series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
High cost of ownership is a well accepted fact when it comes to these barges. Our Bentley and Range Rover are a testament to that but are still reliable.

Its the reliability issue that nags me. I had just heard some bad stuff on the S320 cdi engines as a whole. Hence was a bit concerned. I wonder why Mercedes is sticking with this Airmatic suspension even though they know of the failure rate. Its a bit puzzling.

The car will be for my father primarily for use on outstation visits and for light driving around Delhi at night probably on weekends and such.

I foresee no more than 1000 to 1500 kms per month.

He was thinking of the Santa Fe and at 33 Lac (on road) it got me thinking of my options so i checked around for a while and found 3 good examples of W221 S 320 cdi's which this June 2009 model was the best.

The "facelifted" W221's are still advertised at over 45L which in my opinion is way to much in this market. Plus it just takes a couple of lacs to "upgrade the tail lamps and headlights of the 2006-2009 models to the 2010-2013 spec.
Airmatic is used because it still is the most comfortable. Though I think the Airmatic reliability has improved in recent years.

Do you really want a car already done 70k kms at the hand of someone else for your father to use on outstation trips? You can't be sure of the reliability, and you wouldn't want any issues especially when out of town.

I would say stretch by 6-8l more and get a newer example done less kms.

I'm sure the facelift would have had some changes under the skin too, besides just the lights. Reliability would be better.

Check out these deals -
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2014-d743249/
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...class-d616264/

This one done only 6k kms -
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2014-d740477/
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 16:06   #17
BHPian

Honestly even I was looking to buy a used S class first but since I am going to be driving myself. i have made up my mind to go for an E class either new or not more than 2 years old....that way most of the depreciation loss is borne by the first owner. I fully agree with GTO and Dipen.

I had owned a C class 2009 model and sold it after using it for 30000 kms, the guy I sold the car to had to get the engine mounts and suspension overhauling done at 40 odd thousand kilometers. So strongly suggest you to stay away from high mileage German cars. They can and will cost a bomb to run. If you are looking for no maintenance cars then look east at the Japanese.

Would humbly suggest you to reconsider your decision and go for a sparingly used E or 5 Series...that way you will have a much better overall ownership experience.
Merc_lover666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 14:25   #18
BHPian

This is a really useful thread.

Did'nt realise that problems White Elephants could offer.

My sugestion would be that if both were available at the same price, go for an S-class.

However, if you hunt far and wide, you may be able to save 5-7 Lakhs or so on a 7 series, or get a much newer and lesser run one that you had previously budget for.

My rule of thumb for second hand cars, is always buy petrol. Sparingly run, cheaper, lesser NVMH, and take advantage of our sticky fuel loving brethren.

- Nucliomaniac
Old 8th December 2014, 14:49   #19
Team-BHP Support

Do check BMW dealerships for Certified Pre-Owned . These might be little expensive but will come with 2 Year warranty and lots of peace
Old 10th December 2014, 11:57   #20
BHPian

Steer clear of these cars. They are past their prime, and will cost a bomb to maintain and repair.

Both were know to have reliability issues, and personally I feel it is better to have a new Jap/Korean car than an old German/British car.

Saves you headaches for at least 5 years and gives better value for money as well as resale value.

The all new Hyundai Sonata (after facelift) has most of the features of these cars for example, and costs less than either of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-owned Luxury: Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7-Series?-download.jpg  

Pre-owned Luxury: Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7-Series?-images.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2015, 00:04   #21
BHPian

Are there any good independent mechanics you guys can recommend who can take care of an ageing S Class or a BMW 7 in Mumbai?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks