Team-BHP - BMW 3-Series GT vs Mercedes GLC-Class
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   BMW 3-Series GT vs Mercedes GLC-Class (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/182622-bmw-3-series-gt-vs-mercedes-glc-class.html)

I have short listed BMW 3GT and Mercedes GLC for my next car purchase. I understand that they belong to different segments, but both offer a comfortable ride quality without being too low. While GLC is new, 3 GT costs 6-7 lakhs less and is loaded with more features (5 lakhs discount on GT and 4 lakhs on GLC from their respective OTR prices). I am wondering if it is really sensible to pay 7 lakhs more for a GLC.

I have excluded X3 due to its stiff ride quality and I am looking for a reliable car with a relatively better resale value after around 5 years.

I look forward to some advice to make the right purchase decision.

I would vote for the BMW GT over the Merc. It's a size smaller and yet very spacious. It is also a size smaller than the Merc which means easier and comfortable to chug around within the city and it's narrow lanes. Also the Beemer is a much comfortable cruiser with its gem of an engine.
To top it all you get it at a much lesser price than the Merc with equal or better features.

I am not to sure on the feature lists of both the GT and the GLC. I have been shopping for a C Class and have compared the C with the 3 series and I am sure the Merc has more features. Assuming it's the same with the GLC, I guess the additional 7 Lakhs will be money well spent.
Do both of them have 4 wheel drive ?
Do you need a proper SUV or are you okay with a sedan like feel ?
Do you want better interiors ?
Also in the long run, I am also assuming the Mercs will hold their value better. This point is debatable.
Pls ask your self these questions and it's all about striking the right balance. No car is good at everything.
Is there a restriction on where to buy a car ? Can't it be bought in Bangalore and then registered in Coimbatore? Assuming Vat will be the only bone of contention. Is there a work around to this ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyline_GT (Post 4111300)
I would vote for the BMW GT over the Merc. It's a size smaller and yet very spacious. It is also a size smaller than the Merc which means easier and comfortable to chug around within the city and it's narrow lanes. Also the Beemer is a much comfortable cruiser with its gem of an engine.
To top it all you get it at a much lesser price than the Merc with equal or better features.

They are actually in the same size bracket since the GLC is based on the C class. Infact, the GLC is a shorter car.

My pick would be the GLC. It's a newer model with fresher interior and exterior. It gives everything the C would give, with improved seat comfort because of the raised height. Also, more stress free driving on our pothole ridden roads, thanks to better GC and AWD.
What you will loose out is the Fun to drive factor due to the much lower Power to weight ratio, and obviously the tight bmw chassis.

Its a close call between the 2. The 3GT is good as its cheaper and also has more features, so more VFM. Being a Beemer, it'll also be better to drive than the GLC , although I do not have first hand experience in this regard. With a 5 yr BSI package it will also be a tension-free ownership.
But the GLC has its own plus points as well.
- Off-road ability (Okay, not hardcore, but somewhat)
- Classy interiors
- Very powerful Petrol engine ( But I presume you are looking for the diesel)
- SUV proportions - this can be a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it.

I would say TD both and see which one gives you THAT feeling, you know? Both are very good cars :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy (Post 4111324)
I am not to sure on the feature lists of both the GT and the GLC. I have been shopping for a C Class and have compared the C with the 3 series and I am sure the Merc has more features. Assuming it's the same with the GLC, I guess the additional 7 Lakhs will be money well spent.
Do both of them have 4 wheel drive ?
Do you need a proper SUV or are you okay with a sedan like feel ?
Do you want better interiors ?
Also in the long run, I am also assuming the Mercs will hold their value better. This point is debatable.
Pls ask your self these questions and it's all about striking the right balance. No car is good at everything.
Is there a restriction on where to buy a car ? Can't it be bought in Bangalore and then registered in Coimbatore? Assuming Vat will be the only bone of contention. Is there a work around to this ?

Arjun, please see my answers below.

GLC has 4 wheel drive whereas GT doesn't - I am not going to do off roading and I am not sure if 4 wheel drive is something that I need
I am okay with sedan like feel as long as the seating isn't low
Yes, I am looking for rich looking interiors. Speaking of which, GLC doesn't come with the brown/black scheme whereas GT has that option.

I think it is an option for me to buy the car anywhere from nearby states as I am going to pay for Chennai temp registration in case of BMW anyway before I can register in my city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkkkkaran (Post 4111331)
They are actually in the same size bracket since the GLC is based on the C class. Infact, the GLC is a shorter car.

My pick would be the GLC. It's a newer model with fresher interior and exterior. It gives everything the C would give, with improved seat comfort because of the raised height. Also, more stress free driving on our pothole ridden roads, thanks to better GC and AWD.
What you will loose out is the Fun to drive factor due to the much lower Power to weight ratio, and obviously the tight bmw chassis.

GLC's GC is 183 mm and GT GC is 165 mm. I think that is a very minimal difference, but I am not sure if 165 mm GC is enough for our roads. From my Linea experience, 170 mm GC has been just adequate in my day to day experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohan24 (Post 4111336)
Its a close call between the 2. The 3GT is good as its cheaper and also has more features, so more VFM. Being a Beemer, it'll also be better to drive than the GLC , although I do not have first hand experience in this regard. With a 5 yr BSI package it will also be a tension-free ownership.
But the GLC has its own plus points as well.
- Off-road ability (Okay, not hardcore, but somewhat)
- Classy interiors
- Very powerful Petrol engine ( But I presume you are looking for the diesel)
- SUV proportions - this can be a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it.

I would say TD both and see which one gives you THAT feeling, you know? Both are very good cars :)

thanks, for some reason I didn't feel special about GLC's interiors compared to GT as I am pretty keen on brown/black combination. Also, I am looking at only diesel as petrol would be a depreciation disaster.

I liked the sportiness of GT and the relaxed feel of GLC during my test drives. So, I couldn't really come to a logical conclusion. I am planning to take the decision based on the VFM factor, their long term ownership costs and potential residual value. Everyone says BMW is better than Merc in terms of maintenance, but not sure how far this claim is true.

Also, is a 5 lakh discount the max we can extract for a GT? The dealer is hesitating to throw in even rubber mats quoting that he is operating on wafer thin margin after 5 lakhs discount. Any pointers on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ece2k2 (Post 4111344)
thanks, for some reason I didn't feel special about GLC's interiors compared to GT as I am pretty keen on brown/black combination
Everyone says BMW is better than Merc in terms of maintenance, but not sure how far this claim is true.

Also, is a 5 lakh discount the max we can extract for a GT? The dealer is hesitating to throw in even rubber mats quoting that he is operating on wafer thin margin after 5 lakhs discount. Any pointers on this?

Okay, then I feel the GT is a better proposition for you, as all the extras that you get for 7L more in the GLC are not that necessary for you, i.e, 4WD, SUV-feel, GC,etc.
Both engines are good, although the GT would be more sprightly due to its lighter weight.
About maintenance, I am not very sure. I have heard the same. With a BSI package you'll be good to go, on that front.
About the margin for the dealer, that is a load of baloney! I'm sure they make higher profits than that on the GT. It's just that since the GT is selling well, they are not ready to offer higher discounts. Try getting quotes from dealers in different cities. :/

On a side note, have you considered the Jaguar XE?

The XE quotes 63 lakhs OTR in Bangalore with a 5 lakhs discount right now. The headroom for tall drivers is at a premium , and It's also quite cramped at the rear. The gear box I felt hesitated a lot to pick the right gear compared to the 3 series and the C250 d. The interiors are nothing great. You could land the 3 series or the C Class for about 10 lakhs less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy (Post 4111358)
The XE quotes 63 lakhs OTR in Bangalore with a 5 lakhs discount right now. The headroom for tall drivers is at a premium , and It's also quite cramped at the rear. The gear box I felt hesitated a lot to pick the right gear compared to the 3 series and the C250 d. The interiors are nothing great. You could land the 3 series or the C Class for about 10 lakhs less.

Oh okay. It was just an afterthought. Also, Jaguar maintenance will be a pain.
It's only being offered in petrol right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ece2k2 (Post 4111342)
GLC's GC is 183 mm and GT GC is 165 mm. I think that is a very minimal difference, but I am not sure if 165 mm GC is enough for our roads. From my Linea experience, 170 mm GC has been just adequate in my day to day experience.

As far as a I know, the GLC comes with the rough road package as standard in India, which raises gc by almost 20mm. I was in the market for either an x3 or glc, and that is when i had checked. Ended up deferring the purchase.
Please check again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohan24 (Post 4111356)
Okay, then I feel the GT is a better proposition for you, as all the extras that you get for 7L more in the GLC are not that necessary for you, i.e, 4WD, SUV-feel, GC,etc.
Both engines are good, although the GT would be more sprightly due to its lighter weight.
About maintenance, I am not very sure. I have heard the same. With a BSI package you'll be good to go, on that front.
About the margin for the dealer, that is a load of baloney! I'm sure they make higher profits than that on the GT. It's just that since the GT is selling well, they are not ready to offer higher discounts. Try getting quotes from dealers in different cities. :/

On a side note, have you considered the Jaguar XE?

Thanks Rohan. Frankly speaking, I am equally happy with both GT and GLC. Infact, if GLC is available at the same price as that of GT, I would have purchased it right away as it is a much newer model. But GT did bring a smile on my face when I test drove it and I couldn't get that feel after driving a GLC in a similar fashion. As far as the comfort level is concerned, GLC wins hands down as there was very minimal noise and the suspension was super cushy.

I was actually under the opinion that GT isn't selling well until this moment stupid:. I will try calling up other dealers in the nearby states to see if I can get a better price.

I didn't consider any car from JLR due to perceived reliability concerns.

I was pretty positive about X3, but the ride was really harsh compared to GT and I ruled it out for this reason. I hope that I am not wrong about X3's ride quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkkkkaran (Post 4111368)
As far as a I know, the GLC comes with the rough road package as standard in India, which raises gc by almost 20mm. I was in the market for either an x3 or glc, and that is when i had checked. Ended up deferring the purchase.
Please check again.

You may be right here. I will check it out again. THanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ece2k2 (Post 4111372)
Thanks Rohan. Frankly speaking, I am equally happy with both GT and GLC. Infact, if GLC is available at the same price as that of GT, I would have purchased it right away as it is a much newer model. But GT did bring a smile on my face when I test drove it...

I didn't consider any car from JLR due to perceived reliability concerns.

Yes, the dreaded Brit reliability! :Frustrati Anyway, it was just a left-field suggestion.

Well, if the GT brings a smile on your face then why look anywhere else :D

And about the sales, I presume it sells well, because I saw quite a few of them in Pune, and even in Bangalore. More than I saw 320D's.

The BMW 3Gt is very capable car. After one year of ownership I can say that the handling, ride and space are pretty good. BMW handling is difficult to fault. The 3GT has loads of leg room both in the front as well as the rear. I love the supple ride as well. It has a better ground clearance than the 3 series. I have had no issues with any of the speed bumps in Pune.

If pushed hard you should be able to negotiate 7 to 8 lakh discount on the ex-showroom price.

Be careful with with the add-ons. BMW offers three separate packages.

Definitely take the six year unlimited mileage extended warranty sold as BRI.

Do consider all inclusive maintenance package sold as BSI plus for 60,000 km 5 years.

Personally I feel that the BMW insurance package sold as BMW Secure is over priced, non-transparent and designed to lock you in with dealer's preferred insurers. You can get equally good packages from TATA AIG and other insurers. TATA-AIG offers no-dep, return to invoice, tyre cover (includes replacement of up to four tyres per year without impacting NCB), engine and gear box protect, rat damage, and Road Side Assistance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ece2k2 (Post 4111271)
I have short listed BMW 3GT and Mercedes GLC for my next car purchase. I understand that they belong to different segments, but both offer a comfortable ride quality without being too low. While GLC is new, 3 GT costs 6-7 lakhs less and is loaded with more features (5 lakhs discount on GT and 4 lakhs on GLC from their respective OTR prices). I am wondering if it is really sensible to pay 7 lakhs more for a GLC.

I have excluded X3 due to its stiff ride quality and I am looking for a reliable car with a relatively better resale value after around 5 years.

Well it looks like you are set on choosing one of these cars. From them i personally like the 3GT, i think its a more established ride. But since you are looking for a 5 year resale plan, the 3GT will have been replaced by 2018 or so. Maybe even 2017 with an all new 3 series.

But both these cars in 5 years time will depreciate incredibly. You maybe even end up seeing only six figures for it. Its possible. So i guess you should factor out the resale value from your equation. Unless you look to sell them in 2-3 years time, the depreciation would be too much to consider as of now during the purchase.

From the options you haven't mentioned, the top of the line GLA with its 4 matic is a baby and wonderful to drive. Even the X1 is good, but no camera. Then there is the usual Endeavour and Fortuner lot which are better than these cars but not close to being premium. However, i think you should stretch your budget a bit more and go for the all new Volvo S90. It'll solve all your problems, besides off roading. The current line up only consists of a FWD model. Also resale would be poor since its a Volvo car but i feel this car, the S90, can be kept more years and perhaps even a decade without much problems.

And if its just between the 3GT and GLC, TD them extensively and you'll have your answer. The GLC is a 4 wheel drive and there are a few small features it misses. I think they deleted the memory seats which is a big problem if more than one person is gonna drive it. AWD means off road, 3GT you cant do that since RWD. But since its an RWD, a little more fun can be had on the road. Plus the GT is a car, a proper car to drive around but the GLC is a SUV and may bounce around a bit. Size differences are in a matter of few centimetres, hence negligible. I think what should decide it for you now between these two should be the after sales and discounts and insurance and stuff. Ive found Mercedes cars to have notorious after sales and I'm fed up with the brand. So your call.

Cars in preference:
1) S90
2) Endeavour
3) 3GT

hope this helps, happy hunting

Quote:

Originally Posted by ece2k2 (Post 4111271)

Any update on the purchase. Thanks.