Team-BHP - Pre-owned luxury car for 30 lakhs?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Pre-owned luxury car for 30 lakhs? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/206135-pre-owned-luxury-car-30-lakhs.html)

Hello folks,

So, I drive a 2012 Mercedes Benz C200 CGI or ought I say used to drive one as the car had met with an accident in August, 2018 last year and is a total loss.

Hence, after a lot of running around for the insurance claim finally things have settled down and I've got the my complete IDV value paid by the Insurance company, I'm back in the market for another vehicle. Here are my requirements and it would be highly appreciated if you folks can help me out finalising the right vehicle.

Requirements for the Vehicle:-

Budget - 25 to 30 Lakhs
Running - 8,000 to 9,000 kms P. A
Kms Clocked - Under 40,000 kms
Vehicle Age - Not looking for vehicle below 2015, though if I find a good vehicle from 2014. I will certainly consider it.
Fuel Choice - Any

The following are the vehicles, I've considered and am inclined towards:-

I haven't considered any other Audi vehicles as they just simply does not have that charm of a premium vehicle nor the specification impressed me much. I loved the A3 in terms of performance but the space is a huge disappointment. The Q3 again is a phenomenal car but Audi Bangalore is offering me a new one for 40 Lakhs and the pre-owned ones are available in the range of 30 - 32 Lakhs which I feel isn't worth the price.
I also saw a few Q5s and X3s but all of them are high mileage vehicles, the ones with low mileage and from 2016 are 40 Lakhs+
A few X1s are also available but my elder brother does not likes the design of the vehicle hence it was striked off immediately.
The older E Class has almost the same interiors as my C hence we have decided to skip that as well.

The cars I've checked out till now:-

2014 Jaguar XF 2.2 Luxury - 32 Lakhs - 35,000 kms

In terms of driving, it was a brilliant vehicle but the interior had begun showing it's age. The Leather had deteriorated and the lustre from the interior was gone. Also, some of the parts had lost it's marking. I haven't striked it off yet but have kept it as a back up.

2014 BMW 320D Luxuryline - 22 Lakhs - 42,000 kms

Liked the vehicle but upon checking the history and details, found out it was a 2013 vehicle. Also, it had clocked 67,000 kms.

2016 Mercedes Benz CLA - 31 Lakhs - 13000

I'm getting a 3,000 kms clocked CLA Demo vehicle from Mercedes Benz Akshaya Motors for 34 Lakhs and after negotiations it may get closed for around 30 Lakhs hence this didn't made sense. Also, I don't really liked the Black interiors with Red Paint Job combination, makes the vehicle feel not premium enough.

2015 Volvo V40 18 Lakhs - 22,000 kms

Dated Interiors, overall vehicle felt abused.

2018 Audi A3 Technology Pack - 32 Lakhs - 7000 kms

A Demo vehicle, loved the performance and equipment on offer. The size and space felt extremely poor. I was actually ready to purchase a segment lower vehicle but it just did not had that comfortable cabin.

2016 & 2015 Mercedes Benz C Class - 34.5 Lakhs & 32.5 Lakhs - 30,000 kms & 13000 kms

The dealer gave me a final quotation of 33.5 Lakhs for the 2016 model, but it already had 30k kms clocked hence avoid. For the 2015 vehicle, quoted 28.5 - 29 Lakhs to the owner but he did not revert back.

2014 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic - 35 Lakhs - 35,000 kms Clocked

Now, the guy had quoted me 38 Lakhs for the vehicle and said he can arrange the same for 35 Lakhs. Upon checking out Droom, I found out the same car is listed for 32.7 Lakhs. Hence, I'm thinking of getting in touch with the Agent and negotiate hard for the same.

Today i.e 31st January, 2019, I am going to check out a 2015 BMW 3 Series GT 39k clocked for 31.5 Lakhs along with another C Class, a 2015 Model for 32.5 Lakhs.

I am not able to find good enough dealers as well hence if you could help me out with someone in Bangalore, it would be a huge help. Also what other vehicles I may consider? I want a Premium brand only and in which vehicle do you think I can extract the best deal at the moment? I don't even mind buying MY2017 vehicles. I hope we find the right vehicle asap and just finalise the same.

Out of the list I could suggest the 520d LCI. It will fit within your budget and if you are lucky you could find one with a BSI package.

This will be a good full size luxury sedan and feel like an upgrade from your C.

Other options you have listed will feel like a downgrade from the C while some might be nightmares to maintain.

Look around on OLX, good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by YashD (Post 4536665)
I'm back in the market for another vehicle.
Requirements for the Vehicle:-

Budget - 25 to 30 Lakhs

If you can increase your budget to around 35-40 Lac, your options will be far more. But if you must stick with your budget, then you should look at BMW 5 series or E Class from earlier generation or even 7 series. I am sure you can find corporate cars, with low mileage and under BSI/ Maintenance packs. To give you an idea, we were recently offered 29 Lac for our 2015 MY 730-Signature edition ( With Rear wheel steering + B&O + wine chiller) This car is still under warranty and has less then 9000 Km. So you can imagine what sort of prices dealerships offer when they buy. I just retained the car because of the lovely music system and will use at a different location. But, you can definitely get such examples. Stick with BMW/ Mercedes as they are easy to deal with and are relatively trouble free. I will skip Audi and JLR for multiple reasons.

Key will be patience. Don't compromise or hurry up. Take time in deciding and go with something only when it meets all of your criterion. Ask for the service record which will be mandatory to get warranty coverage.

Checked out a Audi A4s and A6 yesterday and came back highly disappointed. Both the GTs got sold along with the C Class, I had my eyes on within a couple of days. Seems like people has ample of money suddenly and are all looking for Cs and GTs.

The previous generation A4 is a no match to the C Class or the 3 Series. Both feels way ahead of the same in all the aspect. Even though, it was a limited edition variant with Bang & Olufsen audio system I just couldn't imagine driving that car with those interiors and it literally felt like I'm downgrading a segment as Sahil pointed out.

Guys, should I consider a 2014 - 15 X3 as well?
Also, Sahil what did you mean by maintenence night mare? I had the perspective that all the vehicles, I've shortlisted were quite reliable!

Quote:

Originally Posted by YashD (Post 4536665)
I am not able to find good enough dealers as well hence if you could help me out with someone in Bangalore, it would be a huge help. Also what other vehicles I may consider? I want a Premium brand only and in which vehicle do you think I can extract the best deal at the moment? I don't even mind buying MY2017 vehicles. I hope we find the right vehicle asap and just finalise the same.

Try http://www.6thgear.co.in/

Initially, I've always purchased a used car via the manufacturer's used car division and it has been extremely smooth. This time though finding the right car has been one heck of a challenging task.

Moreover, the Bangalore used car market is an absolute mess. People here are crazy! I don't know how do they end up paying so much more than the car's actual worth.

Right now, I'm looking at a 2017 Mid BMW 320D Luxuryline, Black Shade with Tan interiors clocked 43k kms and price quoted has been 28 Lakhs. Also, upon accessing the service records, got to know that the car has met with an accident in which the front left headlamp and Bumper has been changed. Upon further digging, got to know that the complete ECM wiring along with the sensors have been changed due to rat bites. This is making me all the more skeptic about this vehicle.

Another 320D came in the brown shade, 8k kms clocked, 2017 Luxuryline variant. Though the color is making me a little skeptic priced at 32 Lakhs. I haven't negotiated for the same yet.

Saw a C220D as well though as per what I'm hearing the car is already sold but it was a 2017 Jan vehicle with 36k on the odo. The tyres were in extremely poor shape with quite a few scratches in the central console. Also, it felt like the car used to be at some construction sight as it had a lot of white marks all over the front as if something has fallen on the vehicle like debris. The dealer quoted me 35 Lakhs for the same and the final price he agreed was 32 Lakhs but still I felt it to be extremely overpriced.

The Orange Book Value for Bangalore cars, I felt is a joke. Hence, not taking a look at them. Also, finding a low driven car in Bangalore is outright rare.

Yash,
The issue you are facing is mainly due to Bangalore/ Karnataka location. The used car prices are surprising high.

For example recently our team bhpian Harish was quoted 49 lakh onroad last month (including 5 Years extended warranty along with BSI for 3 years) for latest BMW 330i GT Msport model by BMW Navnit. But if you look at used car prices 3GTs which are couple of years old (2016-2018) are quoted in the early 40s which i expect after negotiation few lakhs could be knocked off. Still pretty high price. I am not sure who is inflating - the owners or the dealers who are inflating the prices to unrealistic levels.

DeepakKC above shared the 6th gear used car dealer link. They are extremely overpriced. I am seeing the 2015 BMW X5, second owner car for sale in their site and other sites for several months now..still not sold, one reason is asking price of INR 59lakhs.
http://www.6thgear.co.in/cardetails.aspx?stock=1607668

With a budget of 30 lakhs, you should be getting a 3 series / GT (2016 and above) with some extended warranty or service pack remaining for like 1 year atleast. You have peace of mind atleast for one year after spending big bucks!

The other option that you might consider is getting the used car from Mumbai or Delhi where it is lot cheaper than similar examples in Bangalore. Re-register it in Bangalore.

As you rightly pointed out A4/ CLA/ Q3 doesn't make sense after owing Merc C class.
Try to find BMW 3 series/ GT / 5 series (I doubt you find with warranty or 2 year old examples) or Merc E class previous generation (though you said its similar to your previous C Class - the advantage is you would be familiar with the brand and the dealer / service folks plus this is an upgrade from the C) or X3 or Q5.

Also since you mentioned that annual running is 8k -9k kms, try to find petrol examples. With Bangalore becoming more congested and polluted day by day, we never know when Govt would introduce diesel limitations within Bangalore city limits.

Search in olx/ car trade/ carwale/ droom/ visit BMW, Merc dealers directly

Patience is the key, if you are searching in Bangalore. Hope you find the right car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikhil_pon (Post 4546886)
Yash,
The issue you are facing is mainly due to Bangalore/ Karnataka location. I am not sure who is inflating - the owners or the dealers who are inflating the prices to unrealistic levels.

Also since you mentioned that annual running is 8k -9k kms, try to find petrol examples. With Bangalore becoming more congested and polluted day by day, we never know when Govt would introduce diesel limitations within Bangalore city limits.

Search in olx/ car trade/ carwale/ droom/ visit BMW, Merc dealers directly

Patience is the key, if you are searching in Bangalore. Hope you find the right car.

Completely agree with you on the location part but I would not just blame the dealer or seller here. See, it's obvious that being a seller, I would want a higher resale value for my vehicle. Regarding the dealers, the indeed quote extremely high prices. Also, they keep on rotating the same car from one dealer to another and see who is able to sell it.

Just yesterday, I had mentioned about the Blue C220D. Today, got a call from the guy that the car is sold at 32 Lakhs + Commission. Now, this is the sad part! The consumers in Bangalore doesn't really see or negotiate well nor do they have knowledge. A car with Bald tyres, scratched interiors etc. Going for 32 big ones! :Shockked:
I had quoted 27 Lakhs and went upto 28-29 Lakhs to the maximum for it. Such consumer behavior will automatically shoot up the prices of the vehicle.

Finding a petrol vehicle again is extremely rare in Bangalore, most of the cars available in the market are diesels hence I have to stick to that moreover its better for me if I get a diesel as I would be able to take it around for roadtrips without burning a hole in my pocket. It's not the fuel prices that concerns but the incredible range these german gives! A friend recently did a Trip to Pondicherry in his A3 in just 1 tank of fuel.

That's exactly what I'm doing, sticking to the adverts online. Let's see when the search ends though I have found another C220D 2015 make at Sundaram Motors. Let's see if that works out or not. Already negotiating for the 2017 Black 320D Luxuryline though an extremely trusted mechanic who takes care of our vehicles in my brother's circle is a little skeptical about it as he feels that the rear differential has some problem. Will keep the thread updated on how things progress!
Thank you.

Hello folks!

It's been a long time since I updated the threqd but finally got home a BMW 320D Luxuryline home today in Sapphire Black. It's a phenomenal vehicle. The car came equipped with M Performance Kit as well & the interiors too are exactly how I wanted, Saddle Brown Dakota Leather with Ash grain interior trim.
It's a 2017 September LCI vehicle, done around 40,000 kms. The service history was clean except one minor accident where the front bumper was repainted. The car still has 6 months warranty intact and additionally I got a 2 Year extended warranty as well.
It's one gem of a car and is definitely a much better vehicle in terms of driving and handling when compared to the C or the A4.
The performance which both the Germans offer in Comfort mode, the 3er does that in Eco Pro and the Sports mode of the former is 3er's Comfort mode. It's a different animal altogether in the Sports Mode. Also, I never knew Bridgestone Potenzas are such wonderful tyres though I want to upgrade to a better set of wheels and I'm sure the drive is going to become further more rewarding. I purchased the car from Navnit Motors & the dealership experience definitely needs a lot of improvement. Except, my sales guy the entire team was outright horrendous. The love 3er made me over look all of that.
I haven't clicked any pictures of the vehicle yet, just got one today. Will be doing proper shoot soon.

Pre-owned luxury car for 30 lakhs?-img_20190308_200835.jpg

P.S - I apologise for the poor quality of the image.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YashD (Post 4556255)
Hello folks!

It's been a long time since I updated the threqd but finally got home a BMW 320D Luxuryline home today in Sapphire Black. It's a phenomenal vehicle. The car came equipped with M Performance Kit as well & the interiors too are exactly how I wanted, Saddle Brown Dakota Leather with Ash grain interior trim.

Congratulations YashD for getting this beauty ! The 320d is a very good car which will give you sheer driving pleasure.I was also in a similar situation and bought an Mercedes E250 because of the rear seat comfort and torquey acceleration.If you don't mind can you please share the price of the extended warranty,I wanted to compare it to Mercedes who have quoted me 1.5 lakhs per year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayanttalwar (Post 4557521)
Congratulations YashD for getting this beauty ! The 320d is a very good car which will give you sheer driving pleasure.I was also in a similar situation and bought an Mercedes E250 because of the rear seat comfort and torquey acceleration.If you don't mind can you please share the price of the extended warranty,I wanted to compare it to Mercedes who have quoted me 1.5 lakhs per year.

Thank you so much! I had the option of E250 as well but we felt the 3 Series to feel a little better over Mercedes owing to the outright handling and performance. We are just two brothers driving the vehicle hence back seat space wasn't a deal breaker for us. Moreover, the major reason for not going for E was it had a very similar interior to the C Class hence it would have been the same in car experience for us. Regarding the Extended warranty, 1.5 Lakhs is steep! I just paid 72k including GST for the 3er though I got some discount on it as well.

The 320d and c250 which I have driven are better to drive compared to the e250 and 520d. For us space was a major concerned as my mother uses it the most sitting in the back seat. Even we are two brothers who really wanted the 530d but due to the ride and comfort we didn't go for it !

Congrats on your purchase. It is a great looking car, I bet it was a sweet deal. So how much did your 30lakh budget cost you in the end to own such a car?

Its a common trend here, I don't see why no one discuss the final cost of what they buy/sell. Its always a guessing game for others. General suggestion It would be great help for others in the same predicament so they get an idea and helps them not inflate the market.

Have fun on your luxury ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visaster (Post 4569299)
Congrats on your purchase. It is a great looking car, I bet it was a sweet deal. So how much did your 30lakh budget cost you in the end to own such a car?

Its a common trend here, I don't see why no one discuss the final cost of what they buy/sell. Its always a guessing game for others. General suggestion It would be great help for others in the same predicament so they get an idea and helps them not inflate the market.

Have fun on your luxury ride.

Hi,

It's not about inflating the market but the used car market is a different ball game altogether. There are plenty options available with several stories (Positive or Negative) under it.

When it comes to such vehicles, it all depends on your luck and how good are you at negotiating with the buyer and the company along with how well have you checked the vehicle including the service history.

Truth be told, I don't feel there is a right price point which can be offered for such vehicles. It all depends from vehicle to vehicle. For e.g recently a friend purchased a 2013 320D Sportsline for 14 Lakhs with 50k kms on the odo whereas I was offered a 2014 320D Sportsline for 23. Another 2015 320D Luxuryline was available at 22.5 too and then there was a Pre Facelift 2016 Sportsline model available for 26. Please note all the vehicles were in and around the 45 - 50k kms mark.

Regarding me not revealing the prices, I've been requested by Navnit Motors, Bangalore to not do the same. Hence, I would like to respect that, no offense!

Hi everyone, I'm in the market (once again) for a new ride which will be replacing the CLA as the my daily. The AMG has been perfect till now and I've enjoyed all the 30k kms covered in it. But, we've come to a point where I just can't take no more of that stiff suspension. Have sold the car to a fellow bhpian and I'm sure he'll be enjoying the car for years to come.

I've been thinking about going the pre-owned route this time around even though it does make me a bit nervous as I've never bought a used car till date. But then all the cars that I like will end up costing me upwards of 80 Lakhs. Following are the requirements for my next purchase -

Budget - 30 Lacs
Monthly Running - 2000 kms minimum
Fuel - Diesel preferred, but open for Petrol options too.
Requirements - Good comfortable suspension and should be good to drive too (3.0 Diesel is my top priority).

I'm leaning towards the 530d as my primary option, that is if I manage to find a clean example. I've owned the 525d earlier and I was pretty happy with the car overall and I'm somewhat biased towards bimmers having owned a couple in past 10 years. I'm looking for good 530d's, if anyone knows of any examples, please do share the links with me.
Please do give your inputs as what other cars I can look at in the market, New or Used which are comfortable in the city while they're good to drive as well.

VSD