Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:16   #1
BHPian

BMW 7-Series vs Mercedes S-Class

Long story short, I wrecked my S560 and now in need of a new car, I am confused between getting a 7 series or an S class again.

S Class
Pros -
1. Prestige
2. Comfort is unparalleled
3. Just Sporty enough for everyday

Cons -
1. S Class again
2. Not as much tech
3. More Expensive

7 Series

Pros -
1.Technology
2. Maybe Sportier and Faster

Cons -
1. Prestige is not as much as the S Class
2. Interiors on the S class feel better
3. Dont know if it would match the comfort of an S class
V12Doc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW 7-Series vs Mercedes S-Class

Since you already had a S then go for the 7.

Having used the S for over 4 years now, I wouldn't mind swapping it for a 7 now(@Turbanator: Wanna swap? ).
I infact prefer the backseat of the 7 as it is a bit higher and provides better thigh support.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
I wrecked my S560 and now in need of a new car, I am confused between getting a 7 series or an S class again.
Do you need in India or overseas? I don't think Mercedes sell S560 here as a regular, they do as Maybach. If you already had a Maybach, regular S class or the newer 7 won't be a match. 2020 Model Year gets some additions, go for it. 8 Cylinder Petrol should be fun to drive.

BMW 7-Series vs Mercedes S-Class-whatsapp-image-20200116-10.31.46-am.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Having used the S for over 4 years now, I wouldn't mind swapping it for a 7 now(@Turbanator: Wanna swap?
I am happy with my car. The one I have is a special order CBU and despite being Signature edition it gets HeadUp Display as well Rear Screen. Some other features like active side bolstering when in M mode and all-around seat ventilation. And some other unknown stuff that most manufacturers skimp on CKD cars.
Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:45   #4
BHPian

I'd go for BMW 7 series any day. I'd prefer driving dynamics and sportiness over interiors and comfort any day. Please note that 7 series isn't far behind of S class in terms of comfort.

Last edited by manson : 23rd January 2020 at 18:06. Reason: Typos.
uditsharma01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 21:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

If you want to feel as if you have arrived or show that you have arrived - The S
If you just want to smile when you arrive - the 7

Last edited by manson : 23rd January 2020 at 18:06. Reason: Minor typo.
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 22:17   #6
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2020 at 07:48.
Sreesh1009 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:51   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 7-Series vs Mercedes S-Class

Both are the world's best sedans, so you really can't go wrong with either.

The 7 will be more satisfying to drive, its reliability will be better (can't touch BMW there), BMW's engine + gearbox tuning is the best and it is now the more modern option. Because you have already owned the S, I'll recommend the 7-Series to you.

I would personally go with the S-Class though. In this segment, it really comes down to the brand & design that appeal to you. For me, the W222 is simply irresistible.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:06   #8
BHPian

My uncle just sold his S-class and bought a brand new 7, having driven both myself, the 7 is leagues apart compared to the current S.

The new 7's design makes it look like a car from the future at night, especially with a dark exterior colour.

It really is a true luxury sports limo, and my uncle isn't missing his old S at all.
aman-bh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 19:40   #9
Team-BHP Support

One point to note is that the new grinning 7 on India spec raised suspension looks a bit staid. I would prefer the M Sport variant if these are still around.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 09:47   #10
BHPian

Drove the 7 series, IMO it doesn't ride as smooth as a Mercedes so went with a S class as I have long 400-500 miles commute some days and average commute being 150-200 miles a day. 7 series also does not have the long list of options that the Mercedes has
Obviously the S Class with all options ticked . Should have it in the next 2 weeks
V12Doc is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 11:20   #11
BHPian

I would suggest you go for S class. It’s Prestigious, opulent, and best or nothing.
If you need performance and handling go for 7.
If you waft on the highway, forgetting all your pain, tension, go for S class.
Mercedes is meant for cruising and for munching mind numbing miles without tiresome.
Also, it has better fuel efficiency than 7 series.
Vasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 00:44   #12
BHPian

S class any day over 7 series. On a different note, if you don’t care for sedan then look at S coupe. Coupe is also equally amazing and something different then regular 4 door sedan. If you are planning for S - Maybach then I would recommend to look into Ghost as well.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 05:18   #13
BHPian

I looked at the S coupe, Rear seat comfort is very important for me since I am driven around sometimes, and S coupe is definitely not a car you want to sit in the back seat. Regarding Maybach, I was looking at it and it didnt appeal me to spend the extra money over the S class. Regarding Ghost and Flying Spur, They are technologically very outdated and even though they ooze luxury on the quality when you are spending that amount of money you want the latest and greatest. ( The Flying Spur's Infotainment system is a VW item, straight out of a jetta or even a Polo with the same graphics) and Rolls Royce is no better either with ancient BMW Idrive

Last edited by ajmat : 31st January 2020 at 07:45.
V12Doc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 13:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
Drove the 7 series, IMO it doesn't ride as smooth as a Mercedes so went with a S class as I have long 400-500 miles commute some days and average commute being 150-200 miles a day. 7 series also does not have the long list of options that the Mercedes has
Obviously the S Class with all options ticked . Should have it in the next 2 weeks
Congratulations on the S class. I believe this would be the shortest thread from question to decision on TBHP.
Wish you many happy miles with your stead.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Congratulations on the S class. I believe this would be the shortest thread from question to decision on TBHP.
Wish you many happy miles with your stead.
Haha well it wasn't hard to really choose but now this coronavirus is kinda hampering my next purchase, I was going for a rolls Royce ghost but thinking of settling with a 7 or a Discovery and go for the ghost when this panic stops. I understand that this is something new but seriously panicking less and taking proper precautions would save more lives than crashing the economies and bringing everything to a halt, I would love to see the statistics from Coronavirus and stress related deaths after all this panic is over. A recent stanford study said the coronavirus fatality rate is close to 0.025% after the diamond cruise ship model since that was the only cluster where everyone was tested
V12Doc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks