Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2020, 21:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Advice on upgrading to a luxury car - Rs 50 lakh budget

My suggestion for you is that you should consider the following:

1. Camry Hybrid: This car will be a jack of all trades and the king of reliability. The car performs well in any of the parameters for a good car and leaves nothing to complain so this should be a number one contender.

2. Ford Endeavour 4x4 AT: This will be a practical choice without loosing too much on performance and desirability and you can take it to any corner of the country considering our road conditions. This car is also a feature packed machine and very capable for whatever duties you may subject it to.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 5th August 2020 at 22:05.
Old 6th August 2020, 17:14   #17
BHPian

Dear all,

Thank you for your contributions, as there are numerous entries, it would be clunky to reply to them individually; however I would like to sum up and state as follows;

1) I had examined a few pre owned cars in Guwahati, unfortunately many of them were abused. Missing official records for service, lord knows what ‘ performance modifications’ and simply overpriced, an owner was quoting 42 for a 2 year old A3 convertible. Further as this is a significant amount of money, I would personally not be happy with a used car.

2) Regarding SUV’s I do have a Force Gurkha which handles any dirt conditions and the need to haul goods. I apologize as I should have mentioned what vehicles I currently own.

3)Again on approaching the showrooms; perhaps it is endemic to Guwahati, the German varietal showroom people were condescending as to my queries, I recall one particular line roughly translated; ‘ You are buying a Mercedes why are you bothered about what engine is in it’. I would admit that I am not a perfect person, but my ego has been riled up and would be avoiding them for the simple reason I believe is that ; such an attitude would continue even afterwards I am their client. Thankfully the Toyota people were frank, telling me that the person responsible for their luxury vehicles was out of town because of the Lockdowns and would be returning the next week.

4) As many members have already pointed it out, I did have a talk with my colleagues and contemporaries who have Audis, Mercs etc and I do want to stand out amongst them.

Therefore I would be going ahead with the Camry. Even if it ends up as a total failure, I have been entertaining the possibility of getting an Hindustan Motors Ambassador and either modifying it for more power or putting a straight six into it for the heck of it. Perhaps you would see me in the appropriate thread soon.

In regards to the latter half; on the Ambassador comment, Members who have either the RX 100/135 and the RD 350, I hope that we share the mutual satisfaction of driving these machines to meets and simply stating that, while others may have better/more powerful vehicles; it is rare to see an old ‘original’ restored to pristine condition. To be an OG amongst the younger crowd.

Thank you and if needed be, Mods please lock this thread as my queries have been satisfied.
Manan9876 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 14:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manan9876 View Post
Therefore I would be going ahead with the Camry. Even if it ends up as a total failure.
Congratulations on your decision. There is nothing to go wrong with Camry & Lexus , even your grandchildren will happily drive it. I would still suggest to drive both and pick the most value for money one.
Old 31st August 2020, 22:38   #19
BHPian

Hello Everyone, Apologies for posting on someone else's thread.

I am also in the market for a new car and would appreciate some advise. I have a budget of 50 lacs (in delhi). I am looking for:

1. Petrol car
2. Atleast 180+ BHp
3. Fun to drive
4. Space is not an issue - i will drive 80% of the time alone or with one passenger
5. The car that stands out and has some unique/novelty value
6. The car will mostly see urban miles (Delhi - gurgaon) maybe 1 or 2 outstation drive in a year
7. Relatively ok to maintain - service and costs should not be outrageous
8. Good value (:P) Some nifty features are good to have.
9. Body type preference SUV > Hatch > Sedan

I am not posting the cars i am considering since i want unbiased recommendations. I have however test driven the 330i (was an obvious choice) and loved the performance and features. I found it a bit plasticky (lower down in the cabin) and less special though. In terms of looks also didnt get my pulse racing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th September 2020, 21:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hello Everyone, Apologies for posting on someone else's thread.

I am also in the market for a new car and would appreciate some advise. I have a budget of 50 lacs (in delhi). I am looking for:

1. Petrol car
2. Atleast 180+ BHp
3. Fun to drive
4. Space is not an issue - i will drive 80% of the time alone or with one passenger
5. The car that stands out and has some unique/novelty value
6. The car will mostly see urban miles (Delhi - gurgaon) maybe 1 or 2 outstation drive in a year
7. Relatively ok to maintain - service and costs should not be outrageous
8. Good value (:P) Some nifty features are good to have.
9. Body type preference SUV > Hatch > Sedan

I am not posting the cars i am considering since i want unbiased recommendations. I have however test driven the 330i (was an obvious choice) and loved the performance and features. I found it a bit plasticky (lower down in the cabin) and less special though. In terms of looks also didnt get my pulse racing.

Thanks in advance.
How about the XC40 T4 variant ? Not super fun to drive but should fit the bill overall in my opinion.
Old 4th September 2020, 23:42   #21
BHPian

Hi,

Since space is not an issue and you want something fast, unique and fun-to-drive, you should sincerely consider the Mini Cooper Countryman. It ticks all of your priorities and will make you feel special every time you sit in it.

All other options within that range from all the major luxury brands are fairly common on Delhi roads.

If you are prepared to wait some more and want something fresh, the upcoming GLA will be a good option too.
Old 21st February 2021, 02:00   #22

Quote:
Therefore I would be going ahead with the Camry. Even if it ends up as a total failure, I have been entertaining the possibility of getting an Hindustan Motors Ambassador and either modifying it for more power or putting a straight six into it for the heck of it. Perhaps you would see me in the appropriate thread soon.
If you have not made the purchase yet, why not check out the Superb?

I personally think the Camry is a very good choice in Assam and the Northeast given Toyota's reliability and the brand's respectable outlet footprint in the region and, the new Camry would turn heads as it would be a very rare vehicle here.

I have personally always wondered why people in the remotest of places here never bother with a premium Toyota and go for one of the Germans or the Brits even when it requires heading to GAU or worse CCU for the slightest of things. And with Audi's current sad situation in India and the condescending attitude of the local Merc guys, it gives even more reason for folks here to consider Toyota's premium offerings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks