Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2020, 23:56   #1
BHPian

Advice on upgrading to a luxury car - Rs 50 lakh budget

Hello all, I have been considering getting a car within the 45-50 lakh bracket.

It would be a daily drive and the occasional tour.

To preface, I would be using the car in Guwahati thus BMW Skoda are out as they do not have any presence.

Initially I have considered an Audi A3 convertible because its not a sedan, as many of the cars in the price bracket are.

However as there is no news of its bs6 model and that on the grapevine I have heard that Audi and its parent company group has gotten into troubles related to the diesel gate scandal. Pending such; I am hesitant in making such an investment, I do not wish to be stuck with a product that is no longer supported like the Volkswagen GTR and the Fiat Abrath.

The other option is the Toyota Camry, I had the opportunity to drive it in Bombay and I was really impressed with its hybrid system, considering the fuel costs; at stop and go traffic the system does allow one to have some savings. Further my own search in the forums indicate that Toyota's service is better than the German varietals. However I did not have the chance to stretch its legs.

I have no idea about Mercedes but do consider them overpriced Audis.

If it helps I had driven a Lancer when I was in Bangalore, and a borrowed Civic Type R during my time in Goteborg.

Thank you for your advice and time.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2020 at 12:00. Reason: typos
Manan9876 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:06   #2
MUJ
BHPian

re: Advice on upgrading to a luxury car - Rs 50 lakh budget

Since you are in Guwahati, and some of the major brands are absent there. Therefore it rules out Volvo, BMW-Mini, Skoda and JLR. Also since you haven't mentioned your monthly running, I have included Diesels too.

Audi - They don't have much. Their entry point is the A6 (~65L). I'm not sure when they would launch their A4 or Q3. The latest Q3 is better than the last generation. So if you can wait just look at it too.

Mercedes Benz - At 50L the C-Class is the only offering. The back seat of the C Class isn't the best. But if you are open for buying preowned, then there is a E220d and GLC at Axon Motors for about 55L with around 4k km on the Odo.

Ford - The Ford Endeavor was a beast of a car in the 3.2L version but now Ford just offers the 2.0L engine. It is a proper offroad SUV. The older 3.2L/2.2L has been reliable. So definitely do check this out.

Toyota - The Camry is a good sedan to live with it. Since it is a Toyota it offers a great reliability. The Hybrid system makes your running economical. The Fortuner is also a good choice but doesn't offer much features as the Endeavor. But if you wish to stand out a bit, do also check out the Lexus ES300h (It's overpriced IMO).

Mahindra - Alturas is the only vehicle that comes in this budget. It's a good package. Do check it out.

Kia - If you want a Comfortable MPV, the Kia Carnival Limousine is a no brainer choice. The 2nd row offers great recline and makes you comfortable. The 2.2L engine has plenty of power and it's refined. It also offers a usable 3rd row unlike the SUVs. But it's huge, the maneuverability may not be that easy. Also when loaded fully, the ground clearance is a concern.
MUJ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:09   #3
BHPian

re: Advice on upgrading to a luxury car - Rs 50 lakh budget

Ahh. It truly sucks that BMW doesn't have a presence there because the new 330i is an absolute beast and was well within that price range. Nothing comes close to that rare engine/gearbox combination within that price range. Absolutely nothing.

There aren't too many amazing options within that price range if you take out BMW from the list. I mean A3 will always make you feel like you could have had more after spending 50 big ones. In fact, the rest of the current AUDI lineup will make you feel the same. What you are truly left with is the C class. It isn't a bad car but won't excite you as much as a BMW would. But again, if you're into feeling luxurious, a Mercedes is the way to go.

If you are open to going beyond just the german brands, do consider the new Ford Endeavour as well. It is nothing short in terms of the bells and whistles it offers with it's feature list and of course it'll offer you way more reliability than those german horses.

Last edited by rahul_jo : 2nd August 2020 at 08:15.
rahul_jo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:12   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice on upgrading to a luxury car - Rs 50 lakh budget

If you are okay with the "T" badge and ignoring the prestige of the Germans, go for the Camry. The new Camry greatly impressed me. It is a "cheaper Lexus" and dare I say, fun to drive on the open road. No BMW, but I still had fun with it. Earlier Camry generations were very boring to drive, not this one.

From Mercedes, you could buy a stylish, competent C-Class (main downside is the cramped backseat) or stretch your budget a bit for the GLC. I would also strongly consider a like-new (1 - 2 year old) E-Class or GLE. Get a pre-purchase inspection done from Mercedes, take the extended warranty and it will be zero risk.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 13:32   #5
BHPian

Go the pre-owned route. You will get a much better car at the cost of someone else's mistake / upgrade. Buy it from the authorized, approved company dealerships itself, even if it means paying more than market prices, to safeguard yourself and your car against any future headaches.
sam_babushka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 23:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUJ View Post
If you are open to going beyond just the german brands, do consider the new Ford Endeavour as well. It is nothing short in terms of the bells and whistles it offers with it's feature list and of course it'll offer you way more reliability than those german horses.
Indeed, it is unfortunate that BMW is taking its time, considering that its competitiors have already set up shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you are okay with the "T" badge and ignoring the prestige of the Germans, go for the Camry. The new Camry greatly impressed me. It is a "cheaper Lexus" and dare I say, fun to drive on the open road. No BMW, but I still had fun with it. Earlier Camry generations were very boring to drive, not this one.

From Mercedes, you could buy a stylish, competent C-Class (main downside is the cramped backseat) or stretch your budget a bit for the GLC. I would also strongly consider a like-new (1 - 2 year old) E-Class or GLE. Get a pre-purchase inspection done from Mercedes, take the extended warranty and it will be zero risk.
I was really impressed with the Camry and had almost sealed the deal, then again I wanted some feedback from others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_babushka View Post
Go the pre-owned route. You will get a much better car at the cost of someone else's mistake / upgrade. Buy it from the authorized, approved company dealerships itself, even if it means paying more than market prices, to safeguard yourself and your car against any future headaches.
It is indeed more practical, but its really hard to resist the new car smell, eh?
Manan9876 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 09:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manan9876 View Post
I was really impressed with the Camry and had almost sealed the deal, then again I wanted some feedback from others.
Go for the Camry eyes closed. It's an amazingly deceptive luxurious but sporty sedan + very rare - you will retain the cachet of owning one for a long time compared to a passe Mercedes, which I believe is pretty common in Guwahati. A Mumbai friend has a Burning Black and he hasn't seen another one in the same shade in the last 1 year!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4756698

Burning Black: Picture from the above thread
Advice on upgrading to a luxury car - Rs 50 lakh budget-img20200222wa0005_1.jpg
If you are fine with darker colours, go for this Burning Black (black with sparkles) which turns heads anywhere it goes. The Red Mica is flashier but another stunning shade.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4779123

Red Mica: Picture from the above thread
Advice on upgrading to a luxury car - Rs 50 lakh budget-photo20200301095954.jpg

A few thoughts:
The 2021 facelift has been unveiled in the US with no guarantees it will come anytime soon to IN. Refer this thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4845176

Do you have extreme ground clearance issues on your normal drive? The Camry does have a very long wheelbase and will bottom out over unscientific sharp/tall speedbreakers.

Again, good to check with Toyota's Guwahati dealers if they have the competence and trained technicians to cater to it. You don't want to land up in a soup where they cannot provide the support you need.

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd August 2020 at 09:13.
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 09:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

I was looking at something in a similar budget range, did a test drive if the Camry last month and it definitely impressed me. Quite peppy , very quiet and it effuses luxury inside the cabin. My wife was at the rear seat during the test drive and she just loved it.

I then started looking / exploring / test driving the big ones and unfortunately it was not going beyond the C class and the 3 series. I somehow fell in love with the E class and that is when I realised that I might as well wait it out for 18 months or so before I can really get what I want. Else , I would have bought the Camry and after 18-20 months , the E class or something similar in that budget will be affordable for me and I will be left in a situation where I would not want to sell the Camry and would not be able to buy what I want despite feeling comfort on affordability.

If you really want to go in for something just now at this budget , and if I were you , I will do the Camry eyes closed. Please do test drive one and you will love it.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 10:30   #9
Team-BHP Support

The dealerships which are not present in your place, will make you run and in some ways make you beg [for service - parts] in the long run.

Siliguri had a VW, had a Skoda, my friends got Yeti / Vento but, but once they shut shop, one either had to drive down to Calcutta or Jharkhand or maybe UP to get their rides serviced, of-course can be managed if its on an annual basis, but, what if, you require assistance in case of any error / mishap?

Few of my friends here have Range Rover / Audis and they flat-bed it to NCR for service / repairs. This is one option.

Buying is a one time affair, getting it serviced and that too if any issue crops up [imagine getting your ride on flat-bed if the gearbox is stuck in P mode] will be a nightmare.

I have presented you the other [ugly] side of an ownership, you have to pick your poison.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd August 2020 at 19:40.
Sheel is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 12:55   #10

If you are Okay to consider 1-2 years used car, then I agree with GTO as you must definitely consider the Mercedes E-Class 220d. Try looking for a deal you can get on this car, as in my opinion, if done the homework correctly- you surely won’t regret your purchase.

And as with the Toyota Camry, it is such an amazingly capable car and an all-rounder while having the closest similarity to back seat comfort when compared with the E class backbench. And its such a shame that Honda Accord could not reap in the segment and be competitive with its equally amazing product. The hybrid system in Camry is a very unique and attractive feature that every dealership puts on the table, I do not feel that it adds any substantial advantage to the fuel average and for the reliability (and warranty?) of the battery system, its a bit of a gamble to be honest. This I say in consideration of the discomfort that I would feel every single time if I had this Camry and I had to pass through a water logged road- a common sight during the monsoons! I would definitely look for peace of mind and relaxed ownership after spending a massive sum of 50 lakhs for my everyday ride.
Old 5th August 2020, 13:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
The other option is the Toyota Camry, I had the opportunity to drive it in Bombay and I was really impressed with its hybrid system, considering the fuel costs; at stop and go traffic the system does allow one to have some savings. Further my own search in the forums indicate that Toyota's service is better than the German varietals. However I did not have the chance to stretch its legs.

If it helps I had driven a Lancer when I was in Bangalore, and a borrowed Civic Type R during my time in Goteborg.

Give me 50 lacs and i would pick the toyota camry or merc c-class (c200/c220d). Camry is a bit cheaper(also is a bit more FE) than these two but if i can stretch myself, I would pick the Mercedes. IMHO, its just feels more premium. I would suggest you to pay a visit to the respective showrooms maybe your perspective about the Merc changes then.
Good Luck!
Old 5th August 2020, 15:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

From the options you have shortlisted and your needs and Guwahati's limitations with respect to brand presence there, sounds like the Camry will be the best bet for you.

Since you once considered the Audi A3 convertible, I am assuming maybe the size / backseat isn't a dealbreaker for you. Would you like to wait for the Audi Q2 and take a call? Some reports say the launch is just around the corner, and it might be a good package after all. It might be followed by a launch of the new Q3 and A3 as well. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 5th August 2020, 17:12   #13
BHPian

If you are not that brand cautious and intend to keep the car for long, the Toyota Camry is what you require.

Otherwise do check out the Lexus ES 300h Exquisite Hybrid.

Advice on upgrading to a luxury car - Rs 50 lakh budget-lexusesgalleryext10d.jpg

Advice on upgrading to a luxury car - Rs 50 lakh budget-lexusesgalleryext05d.jpg

Last edited by kamilharis : 5th August 2020 at 17:12. Reason: typo
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 17:18   #14
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all, I have been considering getting a car within the 45-50 lakh bracket.

It would be a daily drive and the occasional tour.

To preface, I would be using the car in Guwahati thus BMW Skoda are out as they do not have any presence.

I would recommend you to short list and take extensive test drives.
Going the pre-worshiped way, will give you bang for bucks, but do take time to evaluate the cars thoroughly.
C class is a good car but you don't get the explosive Petrol engine like in a BMW 330i but C220d diesel is not bad and for better performance, you can check out C300d AMG line. Merc will miss a bit of dynamic handling of a BMW but will give you more luxury.

Camry is a safe choice from a reliability point of view. Camry will be a more unique car as the numbers are low for it. You can’t go wrong with this car. Though it is quiet in EV mode, do check out the road/wind noise above City speeds.

Do you plan to drive more? Will a 4-seater do for long trips? German

Do you want to enjoy the back seat? Go for Camry
Old 5th August 2020, 18:57   #15

If you can stretch your budget a bit, you will be able to get an A6 45TFSI Technology Pack after discounts for around 63-65 Lakhs, or else the premium plus at around 60. It is a beautiful car and a lovely all-rounded package and truly feels like a shrunken A8. Extremely refined, powerful, tech-laden and good looking. The back seat is very spacious as well.
However if that isn't an option, a pre-owned E class would be the best value for money as compared to a new C-class which is at the end of its lifespan and is cramped on space, coupled with a firm ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks