Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:59   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Seeking advice on buying a used 2011 Volvo XC60 AWD

In my opinion, owning a luxury car is a matter of Passion. what you would like to have and what you are prepared let go is your choice. I own a 2014 VOLVO XC60 AWD D5 with ODO reading 43K. Enjoying every bit of it. Feel very safe while cruising (I am 68 in my lifeline ODO). Maintained only by AS centre. If ever I want to change I would certainly go for another XC 60. But for the regular servicing, I have not spent anything more. The only thing that I replaced was the ABS sensors, 3 out of 4 failed costing me 9k each. Each servicing will not cost more than 20k. I feel this is reasonable when compared to any other luxury car.
I recommend to get the car checked by the AS centre and if it is mechanically good and you have the budget, Go for it. What happens after you buy it depends on your driving skill, passion for cars and destiny. I do not feel that you should think too much for the resale value as no luxury car has the resale value for that matter. Good luck!

Last edited by navin : 2nd December 2020 at 22:10. Reason: removed mention of high speeds and corrected typos
sumukha is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:10   #17
BHPian

I would suggest OP to check out the Hexa, I have heard good things about the car. Since OP is keen for AWD, I believe Hexa 4X4 version will be suitable. If you look around, you can get a good deal in used car market has the first owner would have take the majority of the depreciation.

OT: I was told that the used car market is seeing alot of action these days coz people are averse to plonking money in new car. Is this true across India or only to the inflated market in Bangalore.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Volvos are going to be expensive to maintain. Even if the 10 year car is low mileage, it might an uneventful 2-3 years before you're looking at big $$$.

I'd advise considering the Innova Crysta if you don't need AWD/4WD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
My only saving grace I feel is probably buy a decent one and upgrade the suspension according to what I want. I am very confident that this will happen considering the vehicle in question here is a Toyota that has global presence and I may not be the only one who thinks that the stock suspension on the Fortuner is ----
Considering the popularity of the Fortuner around the world, there is a wide selection of parts. Just try getting the advice of a reputable garage in your area.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:44   #19
BHPian

Have you considered a recent model of Tuscon ? They're hard to find but a comfortable Soft roader for all your purpose.
littlebrother is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
In my opinion owning a luxury car is a matter of Passion. what you would like to have and what you are prepared let go is your choice.
I agree but one should be prepared for what he/she is getting in to.
I briefly want to quote my experience with the Chevy (Subaru) Forester (not a Luxury brand but it shares some of the hurdles in terms of maintaining)

When I bought it, it was 5 years old and had done just 25K. I took the pain of bringing it from TN to KA, paid the Road tax and got it re-registered (Getting NOC was a nightmare)

First 2 years was like a dream and the car drove as if it was fresh from the showroom.

Next 2-3 years, I had to spend considerable amount of time and money, importing parts like the clutch, rear shocks, replacement taillamp, AC evaporator etc. Car had to be out of action for few weeks in between.

Car was alright for almost next couple of years and all I had to change was engine oil/filters.

In the past 2-3 years, I have been spending a fair bit as some major parts like the timing belt/water pump had to be replaced along with few other parts which unexpectedly failed, like the ignition coil and power window. There were numerous other small components like the links, hose for the clutch, gear lever joint, etc etc.

We kept the car primarily because we loved the car and we want to keep it until we find a worthy replacement. It was purely a matter of heart over head. But will I pick another used car which is difficult and expensive to maintain? Probably no ( even not able to convince myself with the thought of picking up a used Kodiaq or a Tiguan) but you never know when it comes to the matter of heart (over head)
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:03   #21
BHPian

High end luxury vehicle out of warranty is a NO NO, unless you have deep pockets.

Why not a segment lower like Hexa but a recent model?

Sorry maybe I have missed you have not mentioned your budget.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:47   #22
BHPian

Hey Ron, why do you want a 4*4? Are you planning on doing a lot of offroading or traveling to places like Spiti that warrant it? Am not saying only those who do such things should pick up a 4*4 but then again, is there a reason you have?

Your range is rather large 10-17 and you are looking at 9 year old cars for which financing will be a tough ask, so I assume this is ready cash you have to spend? If yes, why not just add 4-5 lakhs on top of it in EMI and pick up a new Harrier? Not 4*4 but a brilliant car just the same and new at the same time.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 18:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Is this true across India or only to the inflated market in Bangalore.
What's not inflated in Bangalore? The road tax (off-road tax actually) It is pointless going for a new vehicle even if your pockets are deeper than the Mariana Trench. It actually makes sense going for a used car, get it sorted out and use it as much as you can until you get clarity on what happens to BS3, BS4 and older vehicles that are still on the road.

Tata Hexa is a great choice. I had a chance to drive it a couple of times and Tata has come a long way with the Hexa and everything else that came after it. For me though, I have alway stuck with Japanese technology for their bullet proof reliability and with the Tata, I am not really sure. An Innova or a Fortuner frankly should work for me like tick tock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I agree but one should be prepared for what he/she is getting in to.
I briefly want to quote my experience with the Chevy (Subaru) Forester (not a Luxury brand but it shares some of the hurdles in terms of maintaining)
You have a Subaru Forester. Adding anything Chevrolet to that awesome car is an insult. I loved Chevrolet for bringing brands like Opel and the Subaru into India, but I hated them when they rebadged some junk from Daewoo or whatever they were in India. They got some really nice cars and expected the man above to take care of them or I really don't know. Clearly what they got is nothing but Karma for ignoring our market.

I really appreciate the patience and the effort you are taking to keep the Subie in top shape. That would have been the car I would have bought without thinking twice. I love its shape, the fact that the interiors are downright simple, the frameless doors, just a really cool car. I really dont think there's something Japanese in the Indian market that could be a worthy alternative to the Forester.

In fact I saw one on sale on OLX in Bangalore and I did consider it. But living with an old Baleno which is already a rarity to find on the road, I didn't want to experience the same with my next vehicle while I keep the Baleno with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebrother View Post
Have you considered a recent model of Tuscon ? They're hard to find but a comfortable Soft roader for all your purpose.
To be honest, I am not an admirer of Hyundai cars. But their new line up on N cars and their performance in WRC has started to rethink about them. But Tucson... for sure I will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
In my opinion owning a luxury car is a matter of Passion. what you would like to have and what you are prepared let go is your choice. I own a 2014 VOLVO XC60 AWD D5 with ODO reading 43K. Enjoying every bit of it. Feel very safe while cruising at 160 KM/hr (I am 68 in my lifeline ODO). Maintained only by AS centre. If ever I want to change I would certainly go for another XC 60. But for the regular servicing I have not spent anything more.The only thing that I replaced was the ABS sensors, 3 out of 4 failed costing me 9k each.Each servicing will not cost more than 20k. I feel this is reasonable when compared to any other luxury car.
I recommend to get the car checked by the AS centre and if it is machanically good and you have the budget, Go for it. What happens after you buy it depends on your driving skill , passion for cars and destiny. I do not feel that you should think too much for the resale value as no luxury car has the resale value for that matter. Good luck !

Thank you so much. Honestly, I didn't look into the resale value and I wanted something safe, reliable and enjoyable. Although when reliability is compared a Japanese and a European cars are poles apart in terms of reliability.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd December 2020 at 22:32. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the EDIT / Multi-QUOTE function within 30 minutes of posting.
Old 3rd December 2020, 00:35   #24
BHPian

Apart from the 4x4 and butch looks the Innova scores over the Fortuner in all aspects.

I'd highly recommend the Innova as it is a perfect touring vehicle with loads of power, ample GC and acres of boot capacity to take you and your family along with the dogs around most parts of the country, without giving you stiff backs and sore heads.

I am not sure if mileage is a factor for you but the Innova Crysta gives 16 on highways while the Fortuner manages only 11, which means you cover 1.5 times more distance on the Innova.
Malhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:15   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I'd say go for the Fortuner eyes closed. What do you get when compared to XC60?
-Reliability and fewer electronics
-Reasonably priced parts and always reliable
-Tried and tested AWD/Touring capabilities (check out Anshuman sir's youtube channel)
-Fantastic aftermarket mods
-Two wheelers and taxis don't meddle much with a Fortuner (or an Endeavour. Can't say the same for X3 and XC60. They are like "Ah! Rich man! Let's give him a ding to worry about or just cut him off for no reason!")

But things to consider:
-Front parking sensors (because bangalore)
-Better suspension
-Better brakes
-Fixing of rattles
-Although A.S.C's are usually nice, but because of sales numbers and popularity, Toyota may also have a "don't give two hoots" attitude

If you can stretch your budget by about 5L, you could also look at the 3.2 Endeavour 4x4. It will do everything the Fortuner does, but better. If there is a need for a premium badge, why not have a look at the F25 X3 30d? Creamy straight six, AWD, sharp handling and (fairly) reliable? Part availability would be better than an XC60 but would be equally pricey. Also, the equipment list is a complete blunder by BMW (iDrive screen sizes, paddles, etc).

Best is to test drive all options (beside the Fortuner, as you already have) and find your comfort zone.

P.S.: Just check out the 2013+ ML350 as well. Who knows, might work out.

But these are just my two cents. I hope you bring home a nice machine soon
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:16   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have had a Fortuner AT in the past and now I have a Volvo V90 and I can tell you what is my experience with both.
Fortuner:
Used it for 5 years, totally bullet proof, never broke down ever. Only standard servicing throughout, I cant remember if we had any minor repairs.
Cons:
The noise, you may underestimate this but after a certain amount of time in the car you can really fee it in terms of the fatigue.I had a long daily commute and it had increased from 40-50 minutes to 1 hr - 1hr 15min due to a change in home location and I would come back home tired every day.
The weight, it does become tiring to weave it around city traffic daily (I always drove myself, no driver)
Volvo V90CC:
I bought this in 2018 and the biggest difference is in the NVH levels and the improvement in fatigue, there is no comparison between the two.
The ease of driving (probably just as heavy) the volvo is just incomparable to the Fortuner. The problem is that if you get used to this its very hard to go back to a noisy and heavy car.
Cons:
spares are not easily available, I have had 2 ac failures already and it took forever to fix, once about 2 weeks and next about a month to get the parts. Had to also get the software updated twice to fix computer bugs.

People have mentioned a BRV:
we have a petrol one of these too and its not comparable to either of the two, although it is certainly lighter and easier to drive and it is less noisy but it is certainly not as well built as the others.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps you.
chandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:53   #27
BHPian

I have a 2015 fortuner AT. One thing for sure is the reliability. The car has done about 1,72,000 kms till date and still going strong mechanically expect the brakes But the NVH levels are not so great and so the features. The interior is plain compared to competitors as I suppose you have planned to keep this vehicle for next 4 to 5 years and this things will affect you every day. Last year we purchased 2019 3.2 endeavour and i have never looked back. The car is hoot to drive plus the NVH levels are too good to ignore. The reliability is good too maybe just not as good as toyota but still better then European and Korean cars. I would suggest you a used 2016/17 3.2 endeavour by extending your budget by a 2-3 lakhs if feasible.
sachin2612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 19:26   #28
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 14th December 2020 at 19:33.
ButterRider 7 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th December 2020, 22:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I struck out the Pajero only and only because if its scarcity of parts and the lack of a service network. The Fortuner ticked all my boxes. Reliable, spacious, rugged, 4x4 and I was particularly fond of the model that was there right before the current one. However, one test drive destroyed everything. On a straight line the Fortuner felt absolutely glued to the road, however once the road gets a bit uneven, you are almost immediately and uncomfortably informed. My only saving grace I feel is probably buy a decent one and upgrade the suspension according to what I want.
I was in the similar situation a year ago, while looking for a used SUV. My first pick was a Pajero SFX and then fortuner of 2009-2011 vintage. And my budget was at most 7-8 lacs. Ruled out the SFX with a heavy heart at last, due to lack of service network in my region (Manipur). But then, luck was on my side and got a fantastic deal on a 2010 fortuner grey with just 45K kms on the odo.

Quote:
If I were to bring all your suggestions and zero it down to 2 cars, both of them are Toyota! It is either an Innova or a Fortuner. And I believe the wisest thing to do is to buy a decent Fortuner, do some mods on the suspension for comfort and be happy. A long term ownership of a BS4 vehicle and the lack of clarity to what could possible happen to them in the long run is also something that concerns me a bit. Could someone throw some light on that too?
I have absolutely no issue with the stock suspension of thge TFort, even when mine is 10 yrs old (though it is less run). Upgrading to new tyres, new stabilizer bushes and maintaining pressure at 28 to 29 PSI helps to mitigate the harsh ride and swayness on bad roads to a great extent. This is in region where roads condition in the valley and hilly surroundings are not the best when compared to say, NCR or Bangalore. In fact, I find it is easier to just drive fast on such semi paved roads, dirt, undulations etc. without really hitting the brake and the AT tyres and suspension come out on its own.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks