Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2021, 09:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb vs the Competition

Last week, Skoda launched the updated Superb sedan in India. Currently, barring the Toyota Camry, there are no direct competitors to the Superb. One can consider the German Trio - C-Class, 3 Series and the A4 as rivals, but they are priced way higher than the Superb.

Skoda Superb highlights

Skoda Superb vs the Competition-www.teambhp.com77.jpeg

• Adaptive LED headlights
• 8-inch touchscreen infotainment with wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay
• 2-spoke steering wheel and 360-degree camera in L&K trim
• Digital instrument cluster
• 2.0-litre turbo petrol rated at 188 BHP / 320 Nm
• Sportline: Rs. 31.99 lakh
• L&K: Rs. 34.99 lakh

Toyota Camry highlights

Skoda Superb vs the Competition-2019toyotacamry08.jpg

• High-tech and environment-friendly hybrid powertrain
• Terrific fuel efficiency! 15 km/l or more in the city
• 3-zone air conditioning & touch controls on rear armrest
• Loaded with kit - ventilated front seats, reclinable rear seats, head-up display
• Toyota’s bullet-proof reliability and superb after-sales service
• 2.5-litre Atkinson cycle petrol engine developing 176 BHP and 221 Nm + and electric motor producing 118 BHP and 202 Nm.
• Camry hybrid: Rs. 39.41 lakh

Mercedes C-Class highlights

Skoda Superb vs the Competition-cclassmec.jpeg

• Badge value of the Star
• Features like wireless charging, Midline sound system, a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster.
• 2.0-litre turbo-petrol and diesel engines developing 148 BHP and 192 BHP respectively. The C300d develops 241 BHP.
• C200: Rs. 41.31 lakh
• C220d: Rs. 43.38 lakh
• C300d: Rs. 54.25 lakh

BMW 3 Series highlights

Skoda Superb vs the Competition-img_34092.jpg

• Auto Parking assistance
• Features like wireless charging, gesture control for infotainment, folding rear seats.
• Comprehensive service plans.
• 2.0-litre turbo-petrol and diesel engines developing 255 BHP and 188 BHP respectively.
• 330i: Rs. 42.60 lakh
• 320d: Rs. 47.90 lakh

Audi A4 highlights

Skoda Superb vs the Competition-www.teambhp.com78.jpeg

• Features like voice command function, Audi Virtual Cockpit, 3-zone automatic climate control, wireless charging
• A 10.1-inch touchscreen infotainment on the higher variant and an 8.8-inch unit on the lower trim.
• Gets mild-hybrid tech and has a regenerative braking function.
• 2.0-litre turbo-petrol engine developing 187 BHP and 320 Nm.
• Premium Plus: Rs. 42.34 lakh
• Technology: Rs. 46.67 lakh

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 21st January 2021 at 10:02.
blackwasp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 10:56   #2
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb vs the Competition

I fundamentally think that the Superb competes for your money with the fortuner, Endeavour, All-space (and Gloster to some)

My take: Camry hybrid is the one to pick in the petrol segment. Comes with "hybrid" is the decision maker for me. Had they offered a diesel, the Superb would be the my pick. But then again in reality, an endeavour or a fortuner would be the pick for me.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 11:03   #3
BHPian

The Superb comes with an umbrella built into the door. Rolls Royce's come with umbrellas built into doors.

That's the clincher.

Superb vs. Rolls Royce Ghost would be a more apt comparison as opposed to these other 'plebians'.
mango_pal is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 11:32   #4
BHPian

I know people who own the 330i, the Superb (2020 gen) and Camry (previous gen).

The ownership experience doesn't even compare - the Camry owner is by far the happiest of the lot. Yes the 330i looks and drives like an absolute champion and the Superb has more boot space than my flat in Mumbai, but the Camry ownership experience has been phenomenal for my acquaintance. Rock solid after sales service, superb reliability and acceptable interiors. The Superb owner has had the usual Skoda niggles and part issues.

I guess enthusiasts (from all walks of life) will prefer the 330i (and be prepared to own a German luxury car), while the office going executive will decide between the Camry and Superb?

Last edited by andafunda : 21st January 2021 at 11:34.
andafunda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 12:14   #5
BHPian

My pick would be the Camry any day.

I've driven the C220d and the last gen 3 series, their ride is no where near as supple and plush as the Camry on our pothole ridden roads. Can't say much about the Superb as I haven't sat in the current gen.

Assuming the owner is going to sit in the backseat, that ride coupled with the ownership experience makes the Camry hard to resist.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 12:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
One can consider the German Trio - C-Class, 3 Series and the A4 as rivals, but they are priced way higher than the Superb.
Superb pricing over the years has gone up a lot more than the luxury Germans. I remember buying the previous gen Superb 1.8 TSi AT Elegance for 19.99L ex-showroom in 2009. Today it is nearly 70% higher in price over 12 years. The luxury Germans are masters at price hikes every year but none have hiked it up to this extent over the past decade. Hence the gap is no longer as large as it used to be. The luxury germans discounts a lot more than Skoda does so effective price difference is even less.

Skoda had under priced the Superb earlier, but now they are dangerously close to the trio. The camry touching the 40L mark is the biggest reason for it's low volume as most prefer getting the trio. Although the Camry is a better products than the Superb overall.

Skoda should tread carefully on the pricing from here on.
Sahil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 12:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Won't Tesla Model 3 fit into this slot? That will make the segment interesting. Considering Tesla,
  • Mind: Tesla
  • VFM: Skoda
  • Image: Mercedes
  • Heart: BMW
  • Reliability: Toyota
  • Backup/Alternate: Audi
How about a poll?

Last edited by msdivy : 21st January 2021 at 12:46.
Old 21st January 2021, 12:47   #8

I think the question sort of answers itself. India is a highly price-sensitive market (even at the entry level executive sedan level), and therefore segments and competitors must be decided on price and price only. The BMW 3 series, Mercedes C-Class, Audi A4 and Toyota Camry directly compete against each other, the Superb does not.

Badge value, outstanding performance/comfort are the primary reason why these sedans sell - and let's be honest here, a lot more emphasis goes on the former. If we all made purely logical decisions, the Toyota Camry would sell a lot more than what it is now - but it isn't. The thought process is pretty obvious there - 'Well, I'm already spending 40 lakh+taxes on a luxury vehicle, why not spend 2-3 more and get that German badge value?'. When discounts pour in, it makes it all the more difficult to ignore the brand pull of the big 3.

Just for the sake of argument - forget the price and just focus on the cars themselves (let's take the entry-level trims for each one). The Skoda Superb is the 'jack of all trades' for almost everything and even scores better in certain categories, boot space and rear-seat comfort being a couple (which is pretty significant if you use a chauffeur). For those people who can compromise on the badge value (note: compromise not outright eliminate) and still get that executive sedan experience while saving some money along the way, the Superb is a no-brainer. It looks great, feels great and drives great, all for something which is 10 lakh cheaper than the nearest big 3 entry level executive sedan.

If you are ready to splash the money anyway - it might not be as attractive to you. But for those people who're thinking of cars in a similar price category (Fortuner, Endeavor, Gloster, All-Space, the upcoming Kodiaq etc.), this sedan makes an extremely compelling argument
TheRealPauzner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 12:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
My pick would be the Camry any day.

I've driven the C220d and the last gen 3 series, their ride is no where near as supple and plush as the Camry on our pothole ridden roads.
Is it also better at navigating potholes (in terms of GC) than the German are?
Old 21st January 2021, 13:26   #10
BHPian

The Skoda is also a size bigger then the A3/3 series/C-class. However, when the price difference is in 10-20% range I would rather jump to the trio. Superb is in that one awkward price range where you spend a LOT of money, but you still feel settling for something less. I would rather buy the Octavia to save some money.

Edit: Octavia also comes with the umbrella on the door, right?

Last edited by shobhit.shri : 21st January 2021 at 13:27.
Old 21st January 2021, 13:44   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Won't Tesla Model 3 fit into this slot? That will make the segment interesting. [/list]How about a poll?
From a size point of view the Model 3 will be more in the 3/C/A4/S60 slot and from a price point probably much above that. And the comparison is better with the cars that are already in the Indian market.
Old 21st January 2021, 13:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Is it also better at navigating potholes (in terms of GC) than the German are?
Yes, in our short test drive it didn't scrape the speed breakers where our C220d used to scrape.
Turbolove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 13:47   #13
BHPian

Every car here is great and unique. However I am not attracted to this segment of German luxury trio. If at all I buy a German car, it should have a six cylinder engine and air suspension. So, it will be mostly e class lwb. Similarly, though a very competent product overall, camry is not for me because the front design especially the grille is a deal breaker. This leaves me with the superb. I miss the Passat here. While Superb is an excellent car, it all depends on the pricing of new octavia. If the new octavia with 2.0 tsi and rear multi link suspension undercuts the superb by a good margin, then I will lean towards it.
Old 21st January 2021, 14:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Camry would be an easy choice for me.
The new one looks desirable as well and drives well too. Has a good equipment list and interiors are great as well. Couple that with the Hybrid tech and the royalty like treatment from Toyota for buying their flagship car, the deal is unbeatable.
Old 21st January 2021, 16:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Depends on what one is looking for.

If money is not an issue, I would go for the Germans or even a superb. But If I don't want to divert funds onto heavy maintenance, the Camry would be it. Yes, it is no German car, but one can have peace of mind ! . Especially if I am chauffeured around and not bothered about making a luxury statement. I think the Bachan Family have a Camry in their garage.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks