Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2021, 18:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Luxury car for 1 - 1.25 crores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
I find the S5 a bit low floored, hope the E53 isn't that low.

2 problems are ingress/ exit and scraping of 1 in 4 speed bumps.

Was the X7's Poor under thigh support in the 7 seat or the 6 seat (captain seats) version?
The E53 should have better ingress and egress than the S5. The 5 series should have similar ingress, egress and leg space so you can check it out as a benchmark.

Ground clearance depends on configuration at launch so will have to wait and watch.

The X7 I sat in was the 6 seater at the dealership. Found the floor to be a little on the higher side which impacted the under thigh support. I'd much rather get the 630D GT over the bench type X7 if I didn't require the additional seats : better compromise between self driving and chauffeur driven and the air suspension has the lift for the bad speed breakers.

That being said, in your original post you mentioned your X5 giving air suspension issues. It seems it is the norm for any vehicle with the air suspension so keep that in mind.

Awaiting your thoughts on the Q8, and I'm not quite sure on this since road tax in KL is exceedingly high, but the base Cayenne may fit in as well though specs and all need to be evaluated.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 18:26   #17
BHPian

Thanks Lamborghini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Awaiting your thoughts on the Q8, and I'm not quite sure on this since road tax in KL is exceedingly high, but the base Cayenne may fit in as well though specs and all need to be evaluated.
Q8 is a great product - good quality interiors, fairly equipped, comfortable seats (Good seating position as well) all around, rides well (even the steel springs; air suspension is in a league of its own), it's petrol engine is very nice - refined and punchy, I actually liked the engine over the X5 40i!, steering is precise, but the car feels its weight - especially in the corners, celebration edition misses some kit like 360 camera, 4 zone Ac (I think there is scope to add 1 or 2 options), premium audio (the base system sounded fair to my ears that's used to the so-so B&O in my S5 but I ain't an audiophile), and the infotainment was not easy to operate on the drive.

Cayenne is missing a lot of kit for the money.

Last edited by 316kmph : 7th July 2021 at 18:29.
316kmph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 20:20   #18
BHPian

I know a Porsche Macan is an X3 competitor, but well-spec'ed one will feel much better than a competent X5. You might want to look at how comfortable it feels in the rear.

The Macan S with air suspension should just feel amazing. The turbo V6 is known to be one of the most reliable ones in Porsche's steed.

The beauty of it would be the fact that it will be a CBU, so getting all the creature-comfort options like 360 cam, ventilated seats, good audio system should be easy.

A Cayenne would probably be more comfortable, but I am guessing you'll have to stretch your budget significantly if you would want to get the necessary specs.
ruchiragrawal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 21:09   #19
Team-BHP Support

Your requirements are unique, you need something that's not very old, gives equal pleasure while driving and comfort when sitting in the rear and restricted to SUV's primarily.

I will rule out XC90 & X5 for the reasons you mentioned. I will also rule out Q8 too as there are a lot of plasticky interiors & I am talking about the RS variant so the regular will be even worst. If you go back and look the second time, maybe you will feel that way.

A defender is a good option but it does not look premium to me and interiors are mediocre. I am not a fan of the X7 too as it's too ugly, too large and good for nothing (to me) You will be hauling that extra length and width and won't enjoy driving at all. As pointed by another member, the rear single seat is barely wide and deep. These are not the same as one on the front and you sit low.

If you are Ok with reliability concerns with LR, I will consider RR Sports. The new one is still 2 years away and the current generation has got regular updates and hopefully, it will be devoid of any major issues by now. For city and reasonable highway speeds, a 4-cylinder engine performs well. Otherwise, Vellar, which has got recent upgrades will also be a good option.

Regarding the AMG-E class, I won't carry any major hopes on the competitive prices, don't be surprised if MB price the 6 cylinders at over 1,3 Cr and the bigger one at 1,8 Cr Plus.

If you can stretch the budget, and I mean, really, a G350-D can be a very nice option but it will be too far if you have a strict budget. This will hold its value the most and you will get attention like nothing else.
Turbanator is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 01:48   #20
BHPian

Surprised that no one has mentioned the GLE 450, it’s fully loaded and a good pick in case you don’t want another X5 and feel that the Q8 celebration is missing kit.
ballfry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 09:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchiragrawal View Post
You might want to look at how comfortable it feels in the rear.

The Macan S with air suspension should just feel amazing. The turbo V6 is known to be one of the most reliable ones in Porsche's steed.
Thanks, it's a hoot, but a size or even size and a half too small for me, especially at the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Your requirements are unique, you need something that's not very old, gives equal pleasure while driving and comfort when sitting in the rear and restricted to SUV's primarily.
Spot on Turbanator!

Quote:
I will also rule out Q8 too as there are a lot of plasticky interiors
Agreed, I think that's true of all Audi except the A8, I used to complain about the dash top not getting the extended leather package in India. While good quality and soft touch, it is still plastic and not as posh...guess I have forgotten my old cars!

Quote:
A defender is a good option but it does not look premium to me and interiors are mediocre.
While the design is interesting, the interiors are not luxurious for the money.

Quote:
I am not a fan of the X7 extra length and width and won't enjoy driving at all....the rear single seat is barely wide and deep. These are not the same as one on the front and you sit low.
I haven't driven the X7, but it's just as wide as the X5, but I see your point. It's a shame that the rear seats aren't as good as they are expected to be!

Quote:
If you can stretch the budget, and I mean, really, a G350-D can be a very nice option
That's some money I am thinking twice about spending on a car! (I know it may sound ironic when someone's willing to spend a crore and a bit, what's another 70-80 lakhs!)

Will reconsider RR sport, I wasn't happy with the Velar's back seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfry View Post
Surprised that no one has mentioned the GLE 450
Thanks Ballfry The rear seats though comfortable, there was something missing, again this was the 300d, not the electrically adjustable 400d or the 450...will check it out.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th July 2021 at 13:45. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
316kmph is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 13:30   #22
BHPian

At this price point , look no further then the LR Discovery D300. Immensely capable and supremely comfortable + unique on our roads .
The driving position will get you in the king of the road feeling immediately .Do take a TD of it before making a decision , it's a continent devouring machine.
quattroa4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 13:36   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear seat comfort + SUV will be a hard find for a discerning buyer. If the new AMG E 53 is priced attractively, that would be worth checking out. Thanks to more common LWB regular E class, the AMG E will be more exclusive.

As a long term owner of W221, I can make a compelling case for the outgoing W222 :-) S class is the ultimate do it all car for our roads but I guess you have other considerations to drop it.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 13:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
Will reconsider RR sport, I wasn't happy with the Velar's back seat.
If you are considering the Range Rover, definitely take a highway TD of the petrol variant. I think only the petrol variants would fit your budget and the 4-pot, while no slouch, does feel like an engine more at home in a smaller car. For the size and money, the 2L petrol does fall short of its diesel counterpart as well as its competitors petrols. All the while being more expensive and a major guzzler. The seating position and the commanding view out is an experience like no other and might just convince you though. A friend who has a 2017 Range Rover Sport Autobiography has mentioned that general ownership is expensive while also being time-consuming for the faults you'll inevitably have in a JLR vehicle.

The GLE 450/400d are fantastic cars to drive (I prefer the size too) and definitely worth considering. However from an overall plushness and rear seat comfort point of view, the X7 would fit the bill better. The X7 looks and feels the money and has amazing road presence too.

I have a feeling deep down you've already decided on the X7. Since you have an existing relationship with BMW, it's the natural choice I suppose. Happy X7 ownership I suppose

Last edited by AamodB : 8th July 2021 at 14:04.
AamodB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 14:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
At this price point , look no further then the LR Discovery D300. Immensely capable and supremely comfortable + unique on our roads .
The driving position will get you in the king of the road feeling immediately .Do take a TD of it before making a decision , it's a continent devouring machine.
Thanks, will check it out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
If you are considering the Range Rover, definitely take a highway TD of the petrol variant. I think only the petrol variants would fit your budget and the 4-pot, while no slouch, does feel like an engine more at home in a smaller car.
I drove the RR Sport, it was ok in the city; but quick highway overtakes, or fully loaded runs to hill stations - I am certain that it will fall short of the performance expected from the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
The GLE 450/400d are fantastic cars to drive (I prefer the size too) and definitely worth considering....The X7 looks and feels the money and has amazing road presence too.

I have a feeling deep down you've already decided on the X7.
Will TD the 6 cylinder GLEs, usually when I am out of choice I end up with the Bimer...so I usually explore all options and keep the BM as the last car to check out and reject.
Old 8th July 2021, 14:53   #26
BHPian

We were exactly in the same position a while back.
You want something unique, something big, something luxurious but something that is also good to drive. I went for the XC90 after test driving all the cars mentioned in the comments.

To begin with, stay away from RR, no matter what anybody says, that car will definitely give you problems and it’ll stay longer at the workshop than your house. Mercedes cars for me are just about being driven in (except AMG). BMW on the other hand are just about driving them. This is where volvo comes in, test drive it. It’s a mix of mercedes’s luxurious interiors plus the driving pleasure of bmw, not exactly but somewhat there. Also the next gen will launch internationally in 2022, so expect it to hit our shores by late 2023 or early 2024. It won’t feel outdated for a couple of years more. It also has the perfect size that just shrinks around you when you drive it, exactly what you felt driving your X5.
pranavmichael is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 17:36   #27
BHPian

I had the exact same dilemma as you around 6 months. Test drove most of what you have listed and then finally settled on the BMW X7.

Its a fantastic beast and actually quite good value for what it brings to the table. I have the DPE edition with captain seats at the back which are super comfortable for long drives. The list of features is endless, I would say its got almost every feature that the 7 series has. It has a very soft, almost american car like gliding ride in comfort mode. The diesel engine is a gem and very torquey. Put it into sport mode and the car completely transforms itself - suspension gets lowered, engine gets more aggressive and you're into 3 digits before you know it.

It is a slightly high vehicle so do check if you're comfortable with getting in and out. Other than that, I would strongly recommend the X7 over anything else that you have listed. You won't regret it.
manishk123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 18:29   #28
BHPian

Hi I can understand the dilemma in this price bracket. I recently picked up a GLE 300d (as my budget was strictly to 1cr), but the 400d and 450 has a good punchy engine and a plenty of added features like air suspension, 360d camera and memory seats. OTR comes just about 1.28-1.30cr. I feel like its a good blend of all- newer design, good engine, ample luxury, decent back seat and decent size.

XC90 and RR sport is just outdated for the price.
Anything from JLR has reliability concerns always looming around.

X7 is just too huge to drive around.

Since ingress and egress is a concern, sedans in this price segment are not an option i guess.
Straight6_N54 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 18:45   #29

Have you considered the new facelifted BMW 6GT? It offers a decent experience in the back, is fun to drive and has good ride quality. The looks might not be for everyone though.
josesiju96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 20:18   #30
BHPian

I recently drove the X3 and Lexus Nx300 back to back. The X3 obviously felt more powerful and handled better but in terms of ride quality and comfort, the Lexus was head and shoulders above the BMW. The material quality was better too.... substantially better. I'd suggest you wait for the 2022 Lexus NX. It should be launched in India in the next 8-10 months. It will be worth the wait.

Also check out the Lexus RX. Refresh is coming up in the next 18 months but this can't be beat in terms of build quality and ride comfort.
HKap is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks