Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Used Mercedes E-Class 54 24.43%
New Toyota Camry 167 75.57%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Used Mercedes E-Class vs New Toyota Camry | Which would you buy?

If he is in late 20s or early 30s, I'd strongly suggest E class for now. Even better to find a 530i which will make things more interesting. He can anyday revisit the Camry when he's bored of driving and just wants to sit in the back.

I know people are suggesting to invest the money right now and get something even more exclusive like Porsche later but you never know how things go down in life. If you can enjoy it now then go for it! Also these might be the last ICE cars we will get to enjoy and the experience will stay for life with you.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 16:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

I would honestly call this a purchase from the heart whether he chooses the E-Class or the Camry. The Camry might make more sense but only because it would be bought new with a warranty. Otherwise, since both of these are imports, the costs of spares are definitely prices that fly over the head and strike the heart. I hope that he is aware of basic things like how much a headlight assembly, bumper, brake disc etc. costs in all these cars. For someone who is not much into cars I would say go for a locally made one simply to avoid the taxes on imported parts.
Old 3rd August 2021, 16:36   #33
BHPian

A 2 year MBA grad has 45 lakhs to blow on a car? Do let me know where he works, will apply there too

Voted for a used Merc E Class over the Camry. The snob value (which is clearly the one thing he's going for) would be unmatched in this budget. Do update this thread in 10 years time and let us know if he has upgraded to a Rolls Royce, that's the only logical path I see
Sudarshan42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 16:52   #34
BHPian

My pick would be the Camry. The usual reliability factor for German vs Japanese car wins the argument here. Plus the Camry is one hell of a car. No second thoughts.
On a side note, would love to know more about a job that pays so much ��, that too because I am also from similar b-school background having 2 years of experience as well.
Old 3rd August 2021, 17:17   #35
BHPian

In 2021, isn't it a bit too late to buy a first car as a petrol car? I am in the market for an upgrade from my 2006 Hyundai Tucson but I dare not bother with a petrol or diesel car anymore. No point buying into the past while I can wait and invest in much better tech.

If the kid is a financial whiz, he knows the really, really smart money is not on a toyota but an electric car. Also, how can you say no to 100% torque at 0rpm?

My vote would be for an older, cheaper car (maybe a 330i or 320d) and switch to an electric in a few years when the tech has aged well.
Old 3rd August 2021, 18:54   #36
BHPian

Since, my cousin was till recently in the market looking for a replacement for his second generation Superb, we tested Camry, the new Superb and an used E class. (Final decision was Innova but that’s a story for a different day)
I would say go for Superb than the Camry or E class as it’s a mixture of both classy and yet relative to E less expensive to own.
The build quality is really amazing plus as a young guy it’s not the age to be driving an E that too the LWB.
Apart from the snob value, it doesn’t carry any exceptional value over the Skoda.
Camry right now in Delhi is 47 lakhs (OTR) while Superb (38 lakhs after discounts) so you have about 9 lakhs to spare if some problem crops up with the Superb.
SShandilya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 10:56   #37
BHPian

If i were him I would get the skoda superb l&k for 37-38lakh after 3-3.5lakh discounts and would get myself a super bike(2021 busa for me) with the spare money. But that’s just me . At that age , good enough to impress a date either into bikes or cars.
A used E-class might be in used market for some reliability issue . So if peace of mind is the priority I wouldn’t get anything used unless buying from someone I know really well .
IMO a Camry is just too mature/boaring for a young guy and he can have a car so subtle at a later stage in life.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:25   #38
BHPian

Re: A Used E-Class or a New Toyota Camry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMaster_059 View Post
So this person had just completed his MBA from XLRI 2 years ago. Now, having earned enough MOOLAH, he wanted to buy his first car with his own money within a substantial budget of 45 Lakh.

So I guess doing an MBA has its perks. Plus it makes us use our head ore than the heart, which is never a bad thing, eh?
Strictly Off Topic: Having done my MBA from a top business school in India 8+ years ago I was bit surprised at the money a recent MBA graduate is willing to spend on their first car.

According to the Official Placement statistics of XLRI the average salary for someone who graduated in 2019 (2 years ago) is 22.35L per annum. The maximum salary was 50L which would come to 35L take home after taxes.

Source:
https://acad.xlri.ac.in/xluploads/docs/CRP-2019.pdf

So if your friend perhaps got the highest package that particular year and is willing to spend 129% of his yearly take home salary on his first car I would say its a bad idea.

If your friend has his own business or established company then I would say go with the E-Class

Last edited by Foxbat : 4th August 2021 at 12:28.
Foxbat is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks