Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2021, 13:42   #16
BHPian

re: Advice on buying a used Audi A4

If the price fits you then I would say go for it. With due respect to skoda, an audi is an audi after all. Having those 4 rings makes a difference, also the 2.0 TDI is a great engine, fast enough and still gives good mileage.
I got a 4yr old, 28k run A3 2.0 TDI last week, feels brand new and I am loving the engine and gearbox combo. BTW, Im a 39 yr old practicing physician too
pyrodrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 13:53   #17
BHPian

re: Advice on buying a used Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post

Certainly there is a social requirement, but it is not a pressure situation. I embarked on this journey just because I got this reliable vehicle being offered to me. I thought I might not get this opportunity to enter luxury segment with minimal doubt in the mind.
OK. Pressure word was probably a misnomer, got the gist.
All the best!
OffRoadFun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 17:24   #18
BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a used Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The 2.0 TDi & DSG is a fairly reliable combo with most buyers not facing any issues.
Please make sure gearbox oil is changed, don't follow VW/Skoda's 15K interval between oil changes : our conditions are better suited for 10K intervals.
Funny you say this. Someone I know has very strongly recommended getting the gearbox oil changed every 7,500km considering the stop-start driving that we do in Indian cities. I wasn't sure what to make of it but now it seems this is a genuine recommendation and maybe 10,000km might be a more affordable solution.
anandavinash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 21:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandavinash View Post
Funny you say this. Someone I know has very strongly recommended getting the gearbox oil changed every 7,500km considering the stop-start driving that we do in Indian cities. I wasn't sure what to make of it but now it seems this is a genuine recommendation and maybe 10,000km might be a more affordable solution.
Sorry, it seems my earlier post wasn't clear.
Gearbox oil needs to be changed every 4years / 60K km and is a pricier affair as the oil is expensive.
In addition to the gearbox oil, the engine oil change intervals of 1 year / 15Kkm is on the higher side as compared to almost every other manufacturer. Only BMW has oil change intervals of more than 10Kkms that too because oil condition is monitored by the car and as quality deteriorates the on board computer adjusts accordingly.
7500km is what I followed with the Laura which was remapped, but the A6 & Tiguan are doing 10K intervals.

Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance. At present, similar vintage and 40k run A4 in Audiapproved is being quoted about 32-34L.
Too expensive. I don't think the dealers would have paid much over Rs 25L for these cars.
Ask your friend to quote the best price offered to him by a dealer and pay a slight premium to that. Do not go by asking prices quoted by dealers as they have included profit + negotiation margin.
When we sold our Audi A6, the dealer offers were around 9L. The same car was listed by the dealer for 12L. Similar friend and BHPian was offered 9.x for his immaculate CRV, whereas not as well maintained cars were asking 12+.
These are smaller dealers, and the margin is generally higher if it's being sold by the Manufacturers used car division.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 23:38   #20
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, all cars have come with no transmission oil change requirement. Yes, I mean it. And city driving etc does not matter much.

My Audi Q5 did not have any transmission oil change till 100k kilometers ans DSG still runs smooth.

The manual, if I remember correctly mentions monitoring transmission oil at 60K Miles but no mandatory change unless it is bad.

The ZF DSG units especially used in VW/Audi/Skoda are good for life, unopened unless there is sheer bad luck.
Old 10th August 2021, 00:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
There is a very small necessity for a luxury car, due to social circle, but not a real pressure.
I found this amusing. My dad's a physician and most of our family friends predictably are also physicians or surgeons and I can very well attest to the mild social pressure regarding the car. Ironically dad was eventually bugged into relenting to a test drive for an Audi A3 back in 2015 after a non doctor friend and mum contrived to have a test drive car show up just as he got home. He ended up to my surprise ringing me a day later to say he'd just bought an A4, somehow with a massive discount. Within the space of a year I soon found multiple new Audis of various sizes and shapes in the hospital car park when I went to visit, alongside your BMWs and Mercedes. I'm too young to have been around for this but if memory serves me correct, the Fiat 1100 (?) was considered the car most associated with medical professionals in India back in the day right? I guess with time that's just upgraded.

Though a 2014 diesel A4 (not the same as the model you mention), FWIW over the course of the last 6 years we've had 1 major issue with the car and that involved replacing the suspension on the front and rear (a year or two in to owning the car, dad noticed an odd noise from the suspension). This was quite an expense and more than that the aggravation was from the abysmal support from the Audi dealer at the time. I don't think it's gotten any better because it seems mum's somehow found a private mechanic to service the vehicle since (something I'm interested to see one or more members on here have not only done themselves but recommend it - mum's passed on this mechanics name to our circle and sure enough this gentleman has gained more customers from the hospital carpark). I think there were maybe a few isolated niggles in the first year due to a mistake during the servicing (notice a pattern about the Audi dealer in Calcutta?) but that's all I can think of really from memory. It's otherwise been fuss free I think.

The DSG can be an issue for sure though, we avoided that as ours is fitted with a CVT. Friends of mine have mentioned that their DSG equipped vehicles were maintenance headaches. I guess my main takeaway is make sure the Audi service support is kosher in Bangalore.

Again, not really advice but anecdote about haggling between doctors, this time my uncle. He was a young physician in the UK at the time and he went to meet a consultant who'd offered to sell his car to him. I think my uncle tried to haggle, the other consultant simply accepted my uncle's low ball offer. My uncle was later told indirectly that it was considered a bit of a faux pas to haggle between peers (the consultant would've offered a colleague a fair price), and as such it's something he still considers one of his most mortifying moments.

I'd certainly say if buying from a known entity, that too a close colleague, definitely would be a big reassurance to me. I'd be rather shocked if you found yourself with a stinker. I'd say go for it! For the most part you'd find yourself enjoying having it (minus the bills..)
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 03:14   #22
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for it if the price is right. Buying a good car from someone you trust is such a peace of mind thing to happen. Do get it checked from Audi to be doubly sure than take the plunge.
Don’t be scared of DSG. I got mine changed under good will warranty from Skoda. Just paid for the labour. (Skoda superb 2013)

Otherwise theres nothing in Audi or any of VW cars that a good independent garage cannot fix. In total I must have spent 50K-70k in small repairs from independent garage in 6 years of ownership.

For Longetivity of gearbox I just make sure to not keep it in drive when car is not moving and i dont floor the accelerator more than twice a month Its working well for me. No reason why a4 with TDI wont work well for you.

Best of luck
somebodystopme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 08:25   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

There are a lot of things going in favour of this car: known car with a fairly reliable TDI+DSG combination.

However, even in the best case scenario, you will be looking at 50K per annum service bill on average and 50K per annum for insurance. Things can get more expensive in case of any repairs and accidents etc. In general, it warrants 1-2 lakhs being at disposal to spend on it per year. Doesn't mean you will spend that much but need that type of corpus. It's like taking your date to a fancy restaurant, you never what will be ordered, so better to be ready.

I am all for buying nice cars but one must spend that kind of money to enjoy one's passion - it could be spirited driving, traveling in comfort, pampering family etc. I would not buy anything due to social pressure etc. If anything I take great pride not giving a damn about what others think.

It's a sensible option to buy a well maintained car from a friend. A4 TDI DSG is a good allrounder with acceptable reliability. Audi and VW in general are not very customer friendly - but not a deal breaker in this case as the car should be trouble free. If your usage is around 10K km per annum, you will do just fine.

If there is another brand or car that you fancy, and you are buying A4 only due to this tempting option, I would say don't go for it and wait for the right car instead. Once you start looking out, you will find good options for every car. There is enough supply, if you know what I mean.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 11:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Im a 39 yr old practicing physician too
Good to know our tribe is able to afford such luxuries, though not in a new car market.

Quote:
I wasn't sure what to make of it but now it seems this is a genuine recommendation and maybe 10,000km might be a more affordable solution.
I think it was a misunderstood quote, he might have meant Engine oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Ask your friend to quote the best price offered to him by a dealer and pay a slight premium to that.
This is what I think would be a reasonable approach. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
The ZF DSG units especially used in VW/Audi/Skoda are good for life, unopened unless there is sheer bad luck.
Thanks for the reassuring words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
I found this amusing. My dad's a physician and most of our family friends predictably are also physicians or surgeons and I can very well attest to the mild social pressure regarding the car.)
As doctors, our career start very late and peak when we are well into our 40s. We have only few luxuries we can afford and be able to enjoy too. Car is a numero uno in that context. Most of us even if we buy most expensive villa we wont be spending much wake time in that home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Don’t be scared of DSG. I got mine changed under good will warranty from Skoda. Just paid for the labour. (Skoda superb 2013) For Longetivity of gearbox I just make sure to not keep it in drive when car is not moving and i dont floor the accelerator more than twice a month Its working well for me.
Thanks. But won't we spoil the good-will if we go to independent garage. Probably if i take this car I would stick on to Audi for couple of years and use independent garage for minor repairs and for major repairs after 7 years of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
In general, it warrants 1-2 lakhs being at disposal to spend on it per year. Doesn't mean you will spend that much but need that type of corpus.
I am all for buying nice cars but one must spend that kind of money to enjoy one's passion - it could be spirited driving, traveling in comfort, pampering family etc. I would not buy anything due to social pressure etc. If anything I take great pride not giving a damn about what others think.
If there is another brand or car that you fancy, and you are buying A4 only due to this tempting option, I would say don't go for it and wait for the right car instead. Once you start looking out, you will find good options for every car. There is enough supply, if you know what I mean.

Exactly the reason why I am considering this car is the the comfort to the family on the 4-5 hours drives, which has become frequent nowadays. Even though I am a sedate driver now I like to drive good cars. I have made a mental preperation of 1.5-2L per annum for the upkeep. I fancy a GT but I hardly have time to check TBhp and I don't think I would be able to do a thorough checking of a used luxury car from unknown source. For the perception many in my circle don't even check cash in wallet and end up borrowing during lunch time- I mean absent mindedness due to work pressure.

Last edited by aadya : 10th August 2021 at 12:05. Reason: additional info
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:16   #25
BHPian

Every independent garage I have been to in Bangalore told me audis are notoriously expensive to maintain and aren't easy to work on either. My bmw 320i was way cheaper to maintain than my current hyundai SUV btw. BMWs and mercs are preferred by independent garages I have visited.

Also, compared to a 320d, the 2.0TDI audi feels like a slouch. There are better options in your price range. Skoda superb and 3 gt come to mind.

I would not buy an audi a4 if I owned a rapid - not much of an upgrade.
shankarbn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 22:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians,

Currently I own a 3 year old, 30K run Skoda Rapid MPI AT. Its a slow car but suits my routine as the traffic never lets me step on the gas. On highways It is sometimes frustrating to do a quick overtake, but not a major irritant as the incidences are far and few, as I hardly enter 3 digit speeds, that too only when roads are open.

There is a very small necessity for a luxury car, due to social circle, but not a real pressure. So far I have avoided this necessity as I felt those few million rupees can be invested for Children education. And the original plan was to hold on to the rapid for another two years and exchange it for a better sedan/SUV costing about 25-30Lakhs.
Tricky proposition I can imagine. Not to deter you or something but being curious, given you are considering a step up due to the social circle, why not a Superb from the Skoda stable itself? The previous gen A4 isn't a slouch but having driven the new generation A4, I didn't get that special feeling while Superb's drive and comfort spoilt me and its still a strong contender for my next car. I am not highly sure what the right price would be for 4 year old A4 but if at all you could be shelling out 30- 35+ lac on a car, it would be a wise idea to consider the Superb. Good luck with the upgrade!

Last edited by vjbox : 10th August 2021 at 22:23.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 22:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
Not sure if this is correct information. Are the VAG DSG's manufactured by ZF?
kvothe_rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 23:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvothe_rules View Post
Not sure if this is correct information. Are the VAG DSG's manufactured by ZF?
As far as I know, no. the DSG was VW's brainchild and is manufactured inhouse. ZF I believe makes gearboxes for some BMWs.
anandavinash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 23:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, no. the DSG was VW's brainchild and is manufactured inhouse. ZF I believe makes gearboxes for some BMWs.
Thanks for correcting, the DSG is VW groups own though several Audi's BMWs and many more use ZFs 8- speed gearbox.
For example, Audi Q5 3.0 TDI uses 8-speed torque converter (I think ZF) while Audi Q5 2.0TFSI uses 7 speed DSG.

Many others use ZFs transmission ranging From Audi to BMw, Rolls Royce etc. But yes, DSG is not ZF sourced in Audi's but I still would say they are built to last lifetime of the car.Advice on buying a used Audi A4-20210810_231254.jpg
Old 12th August 2021, 15:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

My humble suggestion would be to keep the Rapid for two more years and get a brand new Audi A4 if it suits your requirements. 40L for a new one (after discounts) sounds more tempting than a pre-owned one.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks