Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2022, 13:50   #1

BMW X3 : Diesel vs Petrol

Decision Time Folks

After test driving around for a long time between various cars in the segment, we have decided on getting BMW X3.

Now the only question is to grab an available Diesel version or wait till Petrol is in stock and buy it at a revised price.

Mileage is certainly a key parameter when selecting between D and I.

However keeping the mileage aside - are there any other key points to consider between X3 luxury line D vs X3 Lci M sport ?

Let me know your thoughts please.
Old 30th March 2022, 08:42   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW X3 : Diesel vs Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee21 View Post
Now the only question is to grab an available Diesel version or wait till Petrol is in stock and buy it at a revised price.
To get precise answers, please share your monthly / annual running in km, prices of either (after discount), approximate waiting periods and your personal preferences / driving impressions of both motors.

Traditionally, I have preferred my big European cars with a diesel only because of superior fuel economy, tank range & torque. But the new range of turbo-petrols are really tempting. BMW's 2.0 turbo-petrol is a jewel of an engine. Here is Karan's review of the car.

Sucks that there is no 6-cylinder 3.0L offered anymore. Would've been a no-brainer move if budget wasn't a constraint here.

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2022 at 08:44.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 09:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

2.0L diesel has proven to be very robust in India. No complaints from petrol engine also but it's relatively a new entrant in India.

Had it been a sedan, I would have suggested a petrol for refinement reasons. I think diesel suits an SUV better and you get the added bonus of mileage, tolerance to Indian fuel and a proven workhorse.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th May 2023 at 13:20. Reason: Typo.
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 10:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee21 View Post

Decision Time Folks

After test driving around for a long time between various cars in the segment, we have decided on getting BMW X3.

Mileage is certainly a key parameter when selecting between D and I.

However keeping the mileage aside - are there any other key points to consider between X3 luxury line D vs X3 Lci M sport ?

Let me know your thoughts please.
Depends on your usage, and the waiting period you're willing to wait for.

Both 2L Diesel and Petrol are great motors, test them out and see which one impresses you more. The 30i will be the more fun one and the 20d the more practical one.

If you have a heavy right foot, then the 20d will be the better choice, if you're a sedate driver and want occasional bursts of power then the 30i offers decent mileage as well.

Between the Luxury Line and M Sport, the M Sport gets a few additional features like gesture control, a 360 deg camera and the body-kit with 2 more exterior colour options.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 20:29   #5

Thanks all. I have decided to go with Diesel though my mileage isn’t substantially high for the following reasons:

1. Availability before price hike next month - 2 days to go. No sign of Petrol.
2. Proven engine / workhorse as you guys pointed out
3. I had an diesel X1 earlier so kind of like the torquey bit
4. Hyderabad is a Diesel market and obviously at some point resale will come into play in a few years
5. Even at low mileage I reckon the cost benefit analysis works before feature wise it is closer to M sport and 50k cheaper

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st March 2022 at 08:20. Reason: Minor typo. i —> I
GeeCee21 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 11:16   #6

Hi Guys,

First time posting here, so excuse me if there are any mistakes. I am in the same dilemma right now.

I had booked the Brooklyn Grey X3 30i MSport. It had a waiting period of three to four months and I was ok to wait but after a couple of months I was told that the petrol production has been stopped and now I am left with only the diesel option. I have test driven it and think it's ok but when I test drove the 630i (only petrol td available) I was very impressed.

Also X3 has been done dirty with regards to the latest design change (which could be a good or bad thing but regardless it's outdated at this point) by launching the lci just a month or two before the new design theme was brought onto the other cars.

Now I have two options. Either wait for the new GLC which is still atleast 6-8 months away and hope that the X3 petrol also gets launched with the mild Hybrid system and compare the two or just take the X3 diesel and call it a day in which case am really worried I will be left dissatisfied with both the power and the lack of all the new features newer cars are coming with these days.

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th May 2023 at 04:58. Reason: Editing for punctuation, paragraphing and caps as needed. Please take care to submit properly typed posts. Thanks.
Old 12th May 2023, 11:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidAbz View Post
Either wait for the new GLC which is still atleast 6-8 months away and hope that the X3 petrol also gets launched with the mild Hybrid system and compare the two or just take the X3 diesel and call it a day in which case am really worried I will be left dissatisfied with both the power and the lack of all the new features newer cars are coming with these days .
If you are keen on a petrol, do check out the Audi Q5. It's a Quattro, amazingly comfortable suspension set-up and that engine is quite decent.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 12:20   #8

Thanks for the suggestion Skyliner. While I do agree that the Q5 seems like a decent package overall, I am not particularly a fan of either the exterior or the interiors. I am somebody that needs the wow factor like the Bmw has the driving and the GLC has the interiors and in my personal opinion, the Q5 needs a drastic makeover to keep up with the times.

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th May 2023 at 04:59.
SidAbz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 12:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for suggestion Skyliner. While I do agree that the Q5 seems like a decent package overall, I am not particularly a fan of neither the exterior nor the interiors . I am somebody that does need the wow factor like the Bmw has the driving and the GLC has the interiors and in my personal opinion, the Q5 needs a drastic makeover to keep up with the times .
In that case, wait for the new GLC. It will be like a baby GLE/GLS and that is not at all a bad thing.

And it will come in both - diesel and petrol avatar from day-1.
Old 12th May 2023, 12:49   #10

Haha, I know that's the most sensible thing to do. But having waited 5 months already, waiting for another 6-8 months is so frustrating. The worst part is even after waiting I am not sure I will like it more than the X3. Although the global reviews do sound promising.

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th May 2023 at 04:59.
Old 30th May 2023, 03:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Skyliner. While I do agree that the Q5 seems like a decent package overall, I am not particularly a fan of either the exterior or the interiors . I am somebody that needs the wow factor like the Bmw has the driving and the GLC has the interiors and in my personal opinion, the Q5 needs a drastic makeover to keep up with the times .
Then blindly opt for the beemer, that’s the best in the market. I have X3 Sport and its super. I have driven 25k in 1 year and its beemer. If you need any support on BMW, please message me, I will support on it.

Regards
Deepak

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th May 2023 at 05:01. Reason: Fixing typos and formatting.
Old 30th May 2023, 07:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
Then blindly opt for the beemer, that’s the best in the market. I have X3 Sport and its super. I have driven 25k in 1 year and its beemer. If you need any support on BMW, please message me, I will support on it.

Regards
Deepak
Hi Deepak, so when you say sport and 1 year am assuming it's the petrol variant, right ? If the petrol was available I would have already taken it. The problem is that they have stopped the petrol variant and the diesel at this point feels underpowered and not worth the risk for what it offers .
Old 30th May 2023, 15:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Deepak, so when you say sport and 1 year am assuming it's the petrol variant, right ? If the petrol was available I would have already taken it. The problem is that they have stopped the petrol variant and the diesel at this point feels underpowered and not worth the risk for what it offers .
Yes Sid, mine is the petrol version, but am not sure if the Petrol is stopped.

I spoke to my friend, he works as South India Corporate sales head in BMW. he can get you the X3 M40i Petrol , if you are interested, then i can negotiate it for you.

Please message me.

Last edited by kdeepakk : 30th May 2023 at 15:55. Reason: added additional details
kdeepakk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 22:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
Yes Sid, mine is the petrol version, but am not sure if the Petrol is stopped.

I spoke to my friend, he works as South India Corporate sales head in BMW. he can get you the X3 M40i Petrol , if you are interested, then i can negotiate it for you.

Please message me.
Am sorry for the confusion Deepak . When I said petrol , I meant the standard 30i engine which has definitely been stopped as I am in touch with even people from BMW India regarding the same. Like you said they recently launched the 40i engine which is a cbu and hence is way higher (almost 20 lakhs ) than the 30i engine and way over my budget.

Incase you can get any update on when the 30i will be available again or maybe the updated X3 with the new screen will be launched , I would really appreciate it. Thanks .
Old 31st May 2023, 03:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Am sorry for the confusion Deepak . When I said petrol , I meant the standard 30i engine which has definitely been stopped as I am in touch with even people from BMW India regarding the same. Like you said they recently launched the 40i engine which is a cbu and hence is way higher (almost 20 lakhs ) than the 30i engine and way over my budget.

Incase you can get any update on when the 30i will be available again or maybe the updated X3 with the new screen will be launched , I would really appreciate it. Thanks .
Hi Sid no BMW X3 30i for India atleast not this year. New version probably by the next year along with 5 series long wheel base, there is discussion of the X3 long wheel base, but not sure on the timeline.

40i is 16 lacs more than the 30i, if you ok, i can get you some discount based on my long relationship with the company. If interested please DM your number to me, we can take it further.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks