Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2022, 13:31   #1
BHPian

Are used V8 Lexus sedans a good idea in India?

I've been scrolling around a few websites and seeing these Lexus GS and LS sedans with V8's from the late 90's and early 2000's pop up for sale between 5-8 lakh.

I know the Lexus/Toyota V8's are mechanically indestructible as they've not only seen use in luxury sedans and suv's but also in heavy duty applications like pickup trucks and they just keep chugging along for hundreds of thousand of kilometers without any major issues.

As a big fan of Lexus (mostly thanks to the LFA), picking up arguably the best V8 sedans ever built for the price of a new Baleno is a REALLY tempting for someone like me. (This will not be my primary car)

So are they a good idea or should I just use the money for something else?
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 13:54   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Are used V8 Lexus sedans a good idea in India?

There's a reason why old luxury cars are priced on par with new hatchbacks. Because no one wants to buy them. The parts of any car have a finite life - including Lexus - and any comparisons to high mileage cars from the USA isn't futile, because our driving conditions + average speeds + small commutes + potholed roads are completely different.

Buying an old CBU like this is a big no no. You'll be spending a lot of time in its upkeep and will have to source parts yourself. Different matter if you were considering a body-on-frame diesel SUV like the Land Cruiser or Pajero / Montero. Those are still doable, although I wouldn't recommend anyone buying a 10+ year car under any circumstances.

These old Lexus cars will be more reliable than a Mercedes or BMW of similar vintage for sure. But that's not saying much. It's going to cause you a lot of headaches.

Avoid.
GTO is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 14:25   #3
BHPian

It is a subjective answer but it really comes down to your application and your environmental factors.

If you live in the NCR or any other major Metro city, then I wouldn't suggest owning one simply because of the fuel and space constraints. Also, the NGT ban is something that is currently only applicable in the NCR but I fear that other major cities might adopt the same system which will render the idea of an old car to be useless.

If you already own a daily driver and a weekend/secondary car then it is still feasible to look for them but please do not buy an old Lexus as a primary car under the pretext of it being indestructible.

One more thing I would like to add is while they are cheap and reliable, their spares and servicing are going to be the polar opposite. The best chance is to import parts from their Japanese Toyota equivalent like the Celsior and Aristo but even then it's a painstaking process requiring a ton of money and time.

They are brilliant cars and there are plenty of examples to prove how great they are in terms of comfort (champagne glasses on the bonnet advertisement) and reliability (Matt Farah's million-mile LS400). The 1UZ on the 1st and 2nd gen are beautiful and even the LS430 which got the 3UZ has stood the test of time.

Are used V8 Lexus sedans a good idea in India?-img_20210717_161943.jpg

I was happy to once drive a 2nd gen LS400 around the block in Dehradun and there was nothing else like it, the seats were literal cushions and the V8 was silky smooth. If you really want to buy one, just ensure you have the money and patience to keep it going.

Last edited by GaryTSI : 18th April 2022 at 14:41.
GaryTSI is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 07:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Okay as a project car if you're handy with tools and/or know trusted mechanics. If none of the two apply to you, don't waste your time.

That 20-year Lexus can't be your primary car.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 15:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Since this will not be your primary car and if you have the time, energy and gandhis for a project car, ofcourse yes.

But looking at a GS/LS just because of the LFA rub-off may disappoint you. Unless you are a serious car collector/ restorer/ flipper, only buy old/youngtimer/classic vehicles that you have an emotional connect with. Something that you grew up admiring, or something that envokes nostalgia for you (not anemoia).

As a used V8 sedan for cheap, Toyota/ Lexus would be the safest bet. But like others have mentioned, our road conditions/ traffic/ spare parts availability issues are brutal on these old imports, especially post 90s cars. Except a BoF SUVs, but then an equivalent LC/LX will be priced double that of an Celsior/LS in the used market.
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 02:28   #6
BHPian

Sourcing the parts for these cars will be the most difficult thing in India. You have to know what you are getting into and have hands on experience working on these cars. If you need to take it to a mechanic for each and everything, its better to avoid. 20 year old car is gonna give trouble no matter whether it is Japanese or European. If you know the complete ownership history from day 1 of the car and have a competent mechanic on speed dial, go ahead with the purchase. You may still need to wait for parts to arrive.

It is completely different story if you are in USA. Knowledge pool and parts availability is pretty good here. You can see lot of 20 year old cars on road here. A best friend of mine got a late 1970s Mercedes from barn and built it back to top shape himself. He had the tools and necessary knowledge to work on the car including engine crane in his home garage itself. Even then he find it difficult to source some parts.
hema4saran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 15:51   #7
BHPian

I have this same argument with myself at least 4 times a year. I love 90's Japanese cars and every once in a while something interesting comes along. But at the end of the day it all ends in just one conclusion - it's not worth it.

You have no guarantee what kind of life that car has lived, and as someone born in the early 90's buying a car the same age as me is going to be hassle for sure. Part availability is scarce/hard to import, and if you don't have a garage where you're on a first name basis, the ownership is going to be one big regret.
Porcupine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 10:14   #8
BHPian

A thread after my own tastes.

Sometime in mid 2020, I got bored of the lockdown and actually did a rejig of my garage.My garage back then consisted of a very unique silver - grey B8.5 Audi RS5, the only RS5 in that shade in India and the daily driver (by no means a beater car) was the VR6 3.6 Skoda Superb.

Having done 32k odd kms with the Superb and my penchant for somewhate unique cars, I was itching for a change and an import, steering clear of Germans asfar as possible (one German in the garage was enough).

Luckily for me, at that point in time, I managed to get hold of a very special Windsor Blue LS460 which had been imported from the UK by one of the biggest industrialists in India and had an Artisan Spirits body kit on it (I later discovered it was an Artisan Spirits kit).The car came with the LB20 package (black interior) and had optional-everything.19 Inch 5 spoke premium wheels/ Mark Levinson Sound/ flip down roof screens/ Fridge/ reclining seats, radar parking, etc. It has everything that a 7 Series/S class of that generation can offer and then some more.

For those unaware, this generation of the Lexus in this very unique shade of Windsor Blue is the car Prince Albert of Monaco got married in.Here's the link:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...t-ii-of-monaco

With all of this falling into place, I would have been a fool to let go of this beautiful car.People did tell me to stay off buying a Lexus in India, but guess what, this has beautifully taken over the baton from the Superb and after about a couple of years with this bad boy I can say that I am glad I went with my heart.Every drive in this is an occasion, getting thumbs ups from random people on roads/signals is now second nature.

I even did a Mumbai - Kolkata roadtrip in the Lexus ( in a convoy with my Rio Designs kitted Honda City VTEC) sometime in November 2021, and boy was it an experience.At the flick of a button I would raise the air suspension on the bad roads and then again back to lowered sports on good roads.

Long story short - I have money budgeted too for those times , if and when stuff fails, but the reliability is top notch.I wouldn't have the confidence to do cross country in a German luxo-barge of similar vintage (though I did one with the RS5 in June, only because it's been maintained pre-emptively and comprehensively by me and I was mostly confident nothing would act up).Leaving y'all with some pics.

P.s. I wouldn't have gone with the older Lexus LS400 and LS430s simply because the V8s in those is anaemic by today's standards.If you find an LS460 though go for it.Its the last of the Lexus V8s and has a whopping 390bhp.Mine runs Millteks and has an eargasmic note (going the bhpians who have heard it in person).

The reason I posted this long posted, was not to brag (well, a little, maybe, but that's ok - I hardly post pics of cars from my garage). It is to highlight that the Lexus is a very unique and value proposition on our country - it has reliable power and luxury. When did you last hear of a V8 do cross country in India (excluding of course paid features in magazines with 10 odd backup cars and crew)?!
Attached Thumbnails
Are used V8 Lexus sedans a good idea in India?-img_20210326_184543.jpg  

Are used V8 Lexus sedans a good idea in India?-img_20211106_101747.jpg  

Are used V8 Lexus sedans a good idea in India?-img_20211019_225156.jpg  

Are used V8 Lexus sedans a good idea in India?-save_20201010_042804.jpg  

Last edited by octane1002 : 26th April 2022 at 10:39.
octane1002 is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 09:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
I know the Lexus/Toyota V8's are mechanically indestructible as they've not only seen use in luxury sedans and suv's but also in heavy duty applications like pickup trucks and they just keep chugging along for hundreds of thousand of kilometers without any major issues.
The indestructible aspect of the engine is further strengthened by the fact that it is one few automobile engines certified for use by the FAA. The 1UZ-FE could be twin turbo charged and run fine without touching or modifying the internals. Off course, it was not making ballistic levels of horse power. We are talking a modest 350hp (in 1990).

It never made it to being used on a plane, however, it did find use on boats.

Back to your question, if you find a clean sample with good records of care, you can buy one. Brace yourself for expensive maintenance when there is a need for one. Lexus parts are not exactly the same as a Toyota. Maybe for a power window switch or cruise control knob. Not something like a brake booster or master cylinder. They are quite different.

Good luck.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 10:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post

Luckily for me, at that point in time, I managed to get hold of a very special Windsor Blue LS460....The reason I posted this long posted, was not to brag (well, a little, maybe, but that's ok - I hardly post pics of cars from my garage). It is to highlight that the Lexus is a very unique and value proposition on our country - it has reliable power and luxury. When did you last hear of a V8 do cross country in India (excluding of course paid features in magazines with 10 odd backup cars and crew)?!
Voah!!!!

A LS460 owning BHPian !!! That too in my F-A-V-O-U-R-I-T-E wheel/colour combo! (though the bodykit is not in my taste)

Please do an ownership report of it. Please
DicKy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 11:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post

Luckily for me, at that point in time, I managed to get hold of a very special Windsor Blue LS460 which had been imported from the UK by one of the biggest industrialists in India and had an Artisan Spirits body kit on it (I later discovered it was an Artisan Spirits kit).
Off topic but that Lexus of yours is a steal. Can we please have some more pictures?

If one is looking for a daily dependable drive, as GTO quotes, steer clear of luxury barges more then 10 years old - be it German or Japanese.
But it is a different game if you are inclined to work on them periodically. They are a delight to drive and look at.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks