Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2022, 13:38   #16
BHPian

re: Niche car dilemma for a well-equipped garage | What fun car for 1-crore?

Hey,

Since you have mentioned a Z4, how about maybe one of the following cars?
1. Used Jaguar F-Type P450 with a 5.0 V8
2. Used Porsche 718 Boxter/Cayman - have seen pretty good examples in BBT
3. Used Maserati GranTurismo - will tick the exclusivity box

Personally, if I ever were in your situation, I would get a used Ferrari/Lambo, I know it wouldn't be under 1Cr.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 14:53   #17

Hey brother,
I guess for a crore, you could have a look at a used Audi RS7, M5 or a Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman. They are suitable as daily drivers and can bring a smile once you notch the gas pedal a little to add an extra oomph. They depreciate crazily so won't be taking a hit on MRP and can find good examples including warranty in many pre owned manufacturer dealerships and marketplaces like BBT.
aamz6512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 15:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
2019 Porsche Macan R4 (With Sports Exhaust)

The car was primary until July last year, and has about 35k on the clock. With the new sports exhaust, it is the weekend-dose of fun that the streets of Ahmedabad typically allow in late evenings.
Hi mathranik,
All the best for your next purchase.
Going a bit off topic here but if you could indulge me - would you buy the base Macan today without the air suspension and adaptive dampers (discontinued in 2021). The only other serious contender so far is the GLC 43 AMG. How has the ownership experience been with reference to down times and maintenance. The simplicity (dare I call it classiness ) of the interiors in the Macan still keeps tugging at the heat despite knowing that I get a lot more features in the GCL43.

Mods - not sure if it's in the spirit of posting on this thread but sorry, couldn't resist asking. Hoping for some leeway as I am still below the PM limits.
nxshar2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 16:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

You are comparing everything from a minivan to a 2 door sports coupe.

I would recommend the gle 450 petrol. It’s fast enough and has enough space.

I won’t recommend getting the GLC 43 amg or any amg for that matter. They have a ridiculously hard suspension setup that will have both your wife and children complaining. It is okay for the track but not at all comfortable on Indian roads. Would you really be able to drive it fast at all if you are worried about spraining your spine every time you hit the gas?

If exclusivity is what you are after, get a Range Rover velar.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 17:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Will answer pros/ cons for the ones you have shortlisted
Smart inputs, as always - thank you. Taycan is too expensive, for even decently-specced example. Points noted on the two-seaters! Vellfire does appeal to me. Poll has been requested to a moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Am not in this territory but your idea of building a campervan is appealing.
If I were to get a caravan made, it would be on a traveler or sprinter. Hilux or VCross would only allow something barely utilitarian. Thanks for your feedback, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatoyotafan View Post
Your requirements scream M2 Competition but also an Audi E-tron will be a good option in the EV space.
M2 also added to the upcoming poll, chief. E-tron has a very familiar (Read - common) face, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav2015 View Post
In your use case, most of the things people hold as priority in their checklists are out of the window.

Right off the bat, the first 2 generations of R8 were hailed as possible daily drivers (albeit not on our roads).

Secondly, as outlandish as it may sound, how about a
W12 6.0L Aston Martin Rapide? I saw a couple of them on BBT, but the white one has been picked up by a gentleman from Mangalore but the other one may still be available.

I know you said no more Porsche's but a stock Cayman S is a LOVELY driver's car. Right balance of power and driveability. Makes sweet notes, can keep it stock or mod, and a dying breed of mechanically solid cars without electronics meddling in.

If outlandish is the ULTIMATE objective, I daresay, in your budget, you will find a good vintage of Maserati Quattroporte 4.2. It depreciates like a rock in water, expensive to repair and all the cons of an Italian supercar, but it is quite something on the streets!
The Rapide would go way beyond the budget unfortunately. Cayman S added to the poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
I'd personally steer away from the bigger Minis or any other large car, as I feel at bottom size and weight play a greater role in driving feel than any other factor.
We've been both wanting to pick a Mini up, but something or the other dissuades us. Now that, the functional garage is fully equipped, we have room for experimentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post

Personally, if I ever were in your situation, I would get a used Ferrari/Lambo, I know it wouldn't be under 1Cr.
Both, Cayman and GranTurismo are extremely smart choices. My familiarity with Porsche of course helps. As for Ferrari or the likes, way too flashy for me (The only exception is an Urus, that I would most definitely pick up in 2023).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamz6512 View Post
you could have a look at a used Audi RS7, M5 or a Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman.
Thank you! Couple of those options added to the upcoming poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxshar2 View Post
Going a bit off topic here but if you could indulge me - would you buy the base Macan today without the air suspension and adaptive dampers

Thanks. I find the height-adjustable suspension with active dampers to be a pretty critical feature for the Macan, given the vehicle is all about handling dynamics. That said, try one with and another without back to back, on the same stretch, to know if it is for you. As for maintenance - it has been easier than even a Toyota for me, and it with 35k on the odo, haven't had a single issue as of yet. Just a change of tyres, and regular service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I would recommend the gle 450 petrol. It’s fast enough and has enough space.
Yeah, my thread came with a warning of being irrational GLE 450 wouldn't work for us - too similar to what we have, and the vehicle / brand does not draw any brownie points from me. Point taken, on AMGs, thank you. Velar, again, is more functional than anything else. Appreciate your advise!

Mod Note - Please quote only relevant portions while replying; thanks.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st May 2022 at 21:45. Reason: Trimmed quoted posts.
mathranik is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 19:38   #21
BHPian

With already having sweet cars in the garage, probably a V8 would be a nice addition.
1. Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (another SUV?)
2. Jaguar XK-R V8
3. B8 or 8.5 RS5

Or you can have some 6 cylinder cars like the BMW M340i, M2 or the Audi S4, S5.
DIV17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 21:57   #22
BHPian

Firstly let me to you, you have a great garage!!
I'd suggest you look at BMW M8. I know a new car over shoots your budget by a huge margin, maybe a good used example should lessen that gap. Gives the exclusivity and sports car like drivability albeit a bit heavy.
duker2997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 22:09   #23
BHPian

Hey Mathranik.

I've been in your shoes. I've previous owned a 2020 718 Cayman, Last year I've bought a M340i and this year picked a (preowned) 2016 F-Type V6 S.

718 Cayman is a great entry level car, and you can have a lot of fun with it. I still haven't driven a car that handles like a Porsche does. It's pretty tight and fun, but that 2 liter engine is quite a turn down. During my ownership experience, i've kept believing that 2 liter is adequate for Indian roads, and nobody could change my mind back then. I've read through a lot of threads here that how much of a let down 2 liter is and i kept thinking to myself that it's not. The Cayman has great appeal too. The curves are just timeless and it grabs a LOT of attention.

After a great deal of research, I got a M340i. You know, power and practical mix. It's a sleeper car, but it beats everything on a flick of a switch. I love the low profile look, and i think 3 series is a very handsome looking car. I look at it every time i park it, and i smile every time i floor it. I can drive with my family around with plenty of space for luggage. But it doesn't even come close to handling like a Porsche does and I don't even expect a 4 door to handle like a 2 door. But i missed that agility, and some what exclusivity.

And then I got a F-type V6 S. Simply put I was quite skeptic to buy a 2016 car in 2022, and that too a Jaguar. The reliability issues, and everything i've heard about JLR brand and then going that way just didn't make sense to me. But the car was driven less than 10k, recently serviced, and well-kept. and then i am not so much of a convertible fan. I've also written in past how the attention of a yellow 718 swayed me from taking it everywhere. So i wasn't quite sure of a Red F-Type.

But I did buy it anyway. And it changed my mind on everything (love that about it). After my experience with 2x 3 liter engines. I just can't go back to ever buying a decent car with a 2 liter ever again. And it is something that you have to experience yourself for you to realize. I will highly recommend that if you do go two door route, look for a nice one with a 3 liter engine in it. I think with M340i, if practicality is necessary, then go this way. If you don't plan on doing long trips, then a two door convertible is very much fun, especially with a 3 liter engine.

I haven't had as much fun in a car before. The exhaust has a beautiful note, and no youtube videos will do justice to what it sounds like when you're in it or around it. It makes me feel warm and funny when you're climbing the RPM, and the burbles and crackles; it's just so much fun. And the power that the V6 generates, you can make the rear move each time you floor it. It requires some skill to handle when you floor it and that makes it even more fun for me. It's finally some justice for what i had in mind about a sports car. Everybody in my family loves it. And to put it simply, I owned 718 for a year and put 800 km on it. It's been less than 3 months for the F-type and i've clocked more than 1k km on it. I WANT to drive it all the time. Also i found the fit and finish of interiors of Jaguar a lot more appealing than a Porsche. But we all have a different taste. I am honestly quite surprised with this whole experience with Jaguar.

Surprisingly, there's not enough mention about F-type here on Team-bhp. But it's a car that i am keeping forever and i'd be happy to dedicate time and money in maintaining it. I hope this helps.

Niche car dilemma for a well-equipped garage | What fun car for 1-crore?-team.jpg

Last edited by kashesh : 1st May 2022 at 22:17. Reason: additional info.
kashesh is offline   (77) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 07:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashesh View Post
And then I got a F-type V6 S. S....

Surprisingly, there's not enough mention about F-type here on Team-bhp. But it's a car that i am keeping forever and i'd be happy to dedicate time and money in maintaining it. I hope this helps.

Attachment 2303106
Your post seems to have changed everything. During this hunt, the mind swayed all over the place, with the notion of an incomplete garage - whereas, all this time, what we've actually been looking for is more passion in the garage. And, you've put that in with your write-up! Can't thank you enough for it, for it has saved me from an average decision!

Alright, so here is the final shortlist, and we would book one of these, within the week :

- Jaguar F-Type Convertible (Wildcard entry, and how!)

I seem to love the extremely distinct styling, and exclusivity. We can always pop the roof down for those 5 pleasant days every year. 0-100 in 4.xx is quick enough for us, and seems like the OTR is 1.2X Cr. Already have a standing relationship with the JLR dealer here, so shopping shouldn't be too painful, nor the maintenance bit.

@Kashesh : How often do you end up scraping the Jag's underbody, with that ground clearance? Also, is it a decent expressway cruiser?

- BMW Z4

Saves money over the option above, proven and hence, reliability shouldn't be that painful, not that it is a deal-breaker. Good motor, smart styling and tech-loaded

@All - Any first-hand ownership experiences would help a great deal.

I am ruling out M340i, S5, Mini (Complete stable), and M2 Competition. The convertible Porsches are too expensive, and I am not keen on luxo-electric - All that money, and still range anxiety? No, thank you
mathranik is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 07:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
So, here we are, deciding on what to buy before the world turns electric and boring.

First of all bhagwaan aise dilemma sabko de.

Second, you have two cars from my dream garage. So, let me suggest you a few more.

1. BMW M2CS. I don't know whether the current one is available in India. But, if it is, this is the only one to go for after the Macan.

2. Subaru Impreza WRX sti. Because why not. Some were imported in India and I am sure for a decent fee, someone will hunt it down for you. I remember seeing one while going to college ages ago.

3. Aprilia RSV V4 Factory. Well because for a quarter of your budget you can get a feeling that probably thrice of your budget might give you. You already have a bike, get a better one. Remember there are multiple paths to the same destination.

4. A classic? No, not the hand cranked ones. But, like a Merc 500 SL or maybe a BMW M3 (E63?). Or any other car you fancied as a child which you can now have as a project car.

5. Toyota Yaris. Now before you block me, let me add the two magical words "Gazoo racing". It's a fun little car, not too powerful but no less fun. To me it is the perfect sports car for India. I know it isn't available here but you can get it imported on your own and I think it will still fit in your budget. It is a Toyota, so don't think anything will go wrong.

6. Lastly for the caravan option, why don't you just modify that brilliant humongous Defender for Overlanding?

That's that then.

Here's hoping something good comes out of your dilemma.

Cheers.

Mod Note - Please quote only relevant portions while replying; thanks.

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd May 2022 at 09:17. Reason: Trimmed Quoted post
forty6 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 16:38   #26
BANNED

Z4 seems like a great option in my opinion for some open-top driving in the ghats. It's not too loud (visually) but has Toyota's stamp of approval (aka Supra).

You can also consider importing the MX5 with the 2.0L engine. It's almost a sub-6 second car (in the right hands and on a good day). With the manual, it can become your track car. Even with the import duties, it should fit well under your 1Cr limit.

Simple and reliable 2.0L engine means good reliability. It's not luxury but that's the whole point. You won't mind thrashing it on the track and being an import, it'll have exclusivity points.
MaheshY1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 20:05   #27
BHPian

Don't know if this is your taste, but see if a nice and used Bentley Continental GT fancies you. You couldn't go wrong with either the W12 or V8, and they'd pretty much stand out amongst the sea of other casual cars.

Also, see if a Nissan GTR is more up your alley. At the same time, a nice preowned Audi R8 also comes to mind.
ruchiragrawal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 14:28   #28
BHPian

Re: Niche car dilemma for a well-equipped garage | What fun car for 1-crore?

I am a car enthusiast but not someone who lives and breathes cars. I suggest you go all or nothing with your next purchase. Another in-between car with a good engine, transmission and exhaust note isn’t going to be much different from your Macan (or a stage 1 tuned Macan).

If I may, in your position, I would skip the S5, Mini, Z4, M2, etc. Go for at least a 4.0-litre turbocharged engine. They are getting more rare by the day. I would also look away from anything too big in size, like a Continental GT. They are like space rockets, good in straight line only.

If you have options, go for an all-wheel-drive 4.0-litre. While it is subjective, anything over 500HP is more ‘street-fun’ in RWD setup but an AWD will give you better control, subsequently driving confidence.

I have a W205 C63s and an Audi TT (stage-1 with a valvetronic exhaust) in my garage. Both are fun to drive but the C63s (unfortunately RWD) gets the party going. Hopefully, my next car will be a V8 with AWD.

Also, I wouldn’t go for a used V8 or above, unless you personally know the current owner and the owner is above 60 years of age with several health complications. :P No matter how much we love and care for these cars, this category is always pushed hard. Would you buy a sports car and never floor the pedal to the metal?

Food for thought, aren’t there any current gen new C63’s or previous gen E63’s in stock with MB dealers? They should be on discount.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th May 2022 at 17:43. Reason: Non forum characters deleted
exhaustpipe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 17:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Jaguar F-Type Convertible (Wildcard entry, and how!)
+1 for the Jag.

F-Type drop tops (especially ones in British Racing Green) are a thing of beauty. Tracked this a couple of years back. Tbh, not a great track car but as a road car, it's very rewarding and surprisingly comfortable. The V8 burbles do not disappoint either.

Name:  Jag.PNG
Views: 930
Size:  427.0 KB

Last edited by LOL_FWD : 4th May 2022 at 17:19.
LOL_FWD is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 23:15   #30
BHPian

Since you already have two SUV's in your garage, i feel what you need is a nice fast & luxury sedan to round off your garage. My picks would we from below choice of Electric, Petrol or Diesel as per your preference

BMW i4

BMW M340i xDrive

530d M Sport

Audi S5 Sportback

NEW Mercedes C Class C300d

E 350d AMG Line

Each of the above are unique in their own right without compromising on performance or luxury.

Last edited by autohead : 7th May 2022 at 23:16.
autohead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks