Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2022, 16:59   #1
BHPian

Reaching 50, need a used German car under 35-lakhs

All,
I an oldie to TBHP (Sep 2006) and live in here almost few hours everyday as Auto is my passion.

This requirement might sound similar to already few threads but the idea behind starting this thread is that I would like to keep updating this thread with my search which is going to start in person from July 1st onwards (July 2nd is my birthday, but unfortunately, I can not gift myself the car on that day as I am yet to reach India).

Little bit of background. I have a 2013 Innova which I specifically purchased for my dad and mom for their comfort and nothing else. I lost them both one by one and but I am still keeping my Innova. He is a car guy and enjoys the front seat rides a lot (he had a govt. Jeep for daily use with a driver when he was working).

In the Gulf, I am driving a 2019 Wrangler Sport 5 door 3.6 v6 and a Prado 2012. So, now, I need a German back home as my long term drive. I am outside of India for the last 22 years. This car is purely to gift myself .

I have shortlisted 2nd hand BMW or Merc. Preferably SUV as I would like to take the car to remote places, single track roads. This could even turn out to be a daily car if I decide to return back to India for good. So, I am not bothered even if it is used less if I am out side of India. It will be used/maintained by my brother as he has another car.

I looked at few X1s (2018 and newer) or Merc. I can stretch to max 40 lakhs. I decided to look at options from 2018 or newer at the moment.

What I should look out for in the used X1s? GLA seems to be too small compared with X1. I can not stretch to get a new GLA which looks good. Audi is out of my list but Volvo is something I really like but not finding any good options. I might check new ones, and will see any good deal. I do not like XC40, but XC60 is a great option but none available in my range.

Open to all kinds of suggestions, so, do not worry, if something does not make any sense or I need tune up my expectations a bit.
sgmuser is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 17:47   #2
BHPian

re: Reaching 50, need a used German car under 35-lakhs

A very happy milestone birthday to you in advance sir!

If you are okay stretching to 40 lakhs you might be able to find newer X1's too, maybe even 2020 or 2021s considering the new one's are 41.xx lakhs ex-showroom. The German's are built like tanks so long term ownership shouldn't throw too many problems at you if you find a good example. Shop around and make sure you get a good service history.

If you don't mind going slightly older, say 2016/17 you could possibly find a good X3 as well. If you want to venture into something not German, you could also consider the Land Rover Discovery Sport.
Porcupine is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 18:23   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Reaching 50, need a used German car under 35-lakhs

Would suggest first letting things settle on where you are going to settle . If in the Gulf, buy a luxury German there. If & when you move to India, then plan for the car here. If a German car is left unused for months together, it can create havoc (rodent damage, low voltage problems, rubber going bad).

For 35 - 40 lakhs, I would personally go for a Kodiaq which IMHO is a superior vehicle to the X1, GLA & gang. If absolutely keen on the luxury marques, you'll get lots of 5-Series & E-Class in your budget. Among the SUVs, look harder for an X3 or GLC. Even the Q5.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 01:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
A very happy milestone birthday to you in advance sir!

If you are okay stretching to 40 lakhs you might be able to find newer X1's too.

consider the Land Rover Discovery Sport.
Thanks for the wishes.

If it's X1 I'm limiting my budget at 35. But if there is a good GLC I might want to extend to 40. No, I'm not keen on anything LR or Jag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would suggest first letting things settle on where you are going to settle . If in the Gulf, buy a luxury German there. If & when you move to India, then plan for the car here. If a German car is left unused for months together, it can create havoc (rodent damage, low voltage problems, rubber going bad).

For 35 - 40 lakhs, I would personally go for a Kodiaq which IMHO is a superior vehicle to the X1, GLA & gang. If absolutely keen on the luxury marques, you'll get lots of 5-Series & E-Class in your budget. Among the SUVs, look harder for an X3 or GLC. Even the Q5.
Very valid point on the settling down. Let me tell you one thing about working in Gulf. This life is not that settled especially at the current global situations. I delayed my purchase for few years but now I believe if not now then when. As I told you 50 years is a big number thinking of it. Scary.

I'm ok upto 40 lakhs for a good but less used GLC. I love GLC. But somehow I'm not liking Q5 or X3. That's the max I can go with all the rational thinking I have done on the budget.

Since I have decided to not go beyond 2018 and newer I have very limited options.

I need a SUV not a sedan as I might be using this as my long distance car as well that might include sometimes not so good roads.

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Last edited by sgmuser : 27th June 2022 at 01:39.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 16:18   #5
BHPian

In case of used cars, it also depends on where you are buying it. Re-registering cars across state lines, especially luxury ones, are a costly affair. I've often found that you get have more choice, but higher prices in metros and tier-1 cities while for other places, the prices and supply is very limited. I had a friend who was looking for an X3 that he found in Goa that was almost half of what was being asked in Kerala. We checked the car out, but in the end there was some issues with registration charges based on original costs etc. that it wasn't worth the effort.

If you are honing in for X1, please keep an eye out for different variants. I believe they had the xDrive and M Sport flavors for 2018 onwards, so look out for them. The initial price differences were more than 5 lakhs and included AWD and lot of tech goodies.

I won't call X1 value for money, since there are better cars available now like the Kodiaq, for the similar price range but if you are looking for the luxury badge and SUV, it is a great option. And they are better suited for indian roads compared to other cars.

Do let us know what you end up buying and good luck on your move!
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 09:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I decided to look at options from 2018 or newer at the moment.
Heartiest congratulations in advance fellow Cancerian.

I don't know where are you buying this car in India, but in NCR the life of a Diesel Car is 10 years and Petrol 15 years. The way rules are changing about vehicle ownership it seems this rule of not allowing cars over 10/15 years is going to be soon around. Just a point to keep in mind while purchasing a dream car.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th June 2022 at 10:53. Reason: Typo. Trimming quoted post
Amit Maratha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 11:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
In case of used cars, it also depends on where you are buying it.
I am buying it in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit Maratha View Post
Heartiest congratulations in advance fellow Cancerian.

I don't know where are you buying this car in India, but in NCR the life of a Diesel Car is 10 years and Petrol 15 years.

Thank you!

I am buying it in Chennai. But I am open for tier 2 cities in TN.
Old 29th June 2022, 17:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
All,.

I have shortlisted 2nd hand BMW or Merc. Preferably SUV
I looked at few X1s (2018 and newer) or Merc. I can stretch to max 40 lakhs. I decided to look at options from 2018 or newer at the moment.
I completely understand your dilemma. Though Skoda/Volkswagen may be better(VFM) but the big 3 Germans hold an aspirational value which only they can satisfy.
Now coming to choices -
BMW
A quick OLX search showed only BMW suv in your budget is X1 and you can easily have it in the ballpark of 35 lakhs
But my only gripe is that X1 can start to feel basic after 2-3 years of usage (saying from personal experiences).
PS- If getting X1 surely get one with Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels

MERCEDES BENZ
No GLC appeared in the given budget
And GLA is little small for liking
Also as other members have suggested in various queries, mercedes as a brand is deteriorating it’s quality. The cars do not feel as robust as earlier ones(W221 era) did.

AUDI
Though you earlier mentioned you don’t like Audi much but there is no harm in once checking them out.
These only appeared to have a major depreciation hit
Q3 can be easily had in <28 lakhs
Q5 can be found <45 lakhs
These have a balanced comfort and driving feel.

JLR and LR
No experience with these. But everyone recommends to stay away from them.
Though Discovery Sport is quite good comfort and space wise.

VOLVO
You should definitely consider this brand. The quality is just amazing and these will look different in sea of BMW and Mercs.
XC40 is within your budget
But it has a limited leg room

Finally Congratulations and All the best for the future purchase.
Surely it is best time for you to buy (just approaching 50) and do enjoy them properly.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 00:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay_868 View Post
BMW
A quick OLX search showed only BMW suv in your budget is X1 and you can easily have it in the ballpark of 35 lakhs
But my only gripe is that X1 can start to feel basic after 2-3 years of usage (saying from personal experiences).
PS- If getting X1 surely get one with Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels
You're spot on with my mind and what I'm really 'wanting'. Yes, X1 is the only reachable German SUV with around 35 lakhs budget and GLA is too small. Q3 is not exciting for me rather than me not liking it. With XC40, the only gripe is that it looks a bit toyish compared to XC60. I'm going to Volvo showroom and check for the latest pricing for XC60 and XC40. I still remember when we went to buy Jeep Compass with my wife and daughter and the sales guy asked us to just try the Wrangler and you know what my daughter said? Dad let's get this beast. I doubled the budget and ended up buying 2019 Wrangler Sport. So let me try to take her to these showrooms.

Also I would like to extend to 40 if it's a good GLC. I found one at 39 lakhs but to see it yet personally. If it's just an upgrade to a good SUV, them Scorpio N is really enticing. But holding my hand tight not to press the button as it's a great proposition. But again I'm telling myself if it's not MB or Beemer then it's no.

Btw sorry for my prejudice but Volvo being a Chinese owned how it might affect someone's buying decision? Somehow I feel not very comfortable. Am I alone!?

Last edited by GTO : 8th July 2022 at 10:39. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Btw sorry for my prejudice but Volvo being a Chinese owned how it might affect someone's buying decision? Somehow I feel not very comfortable. Am I alone!?
Well personally I believe that if the product is being made or being assembled in India then it’s fine. As it generates employment and other benefits too.
This was the only justification we could come up when we bought Hector.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 18:42   #11
BHPian

Hello. I'm back with a X1 2022 test drive. I'm liking it. Even the comfort mode pulls like maniac and it's still a oil burner. Imagine a gas burner in sport mode, it's going to be a pure sin. I'm coming from 3.6 V6 of Wrangler and I'm impressed.

But now the conundrum I have got introduced with is the 2023 X1 which would be here soon after its global launch by Oct 2022. According to the videos and photos it look similar but going to be updated with tech for sure e.g. Android Auto etc. But the drive train options going to be more or less same.

How bad it is to go with a soon to be replaced model? Soon could be minimum 6 months after the global launch (oct), I presume due to homologations etc etc. So potentially 9 months.

Pricewise I'm sure I'll get some decent discounts for the current model but for new one it's going to be nothing. Also I saw a news that the price will be revised as well upwardly (5 percent to 10 percent I'm contemplating).

BMW has a lease and buy back option but as I'm going to keep for atleast 6 years upward I'm not very keen on that. Doesn't entice me somehow.

I might look for some decent discounts otherwise it doesn't feel economical to go for the new one. Diesel on road comes at 56 lakhs. Petrol cost a lakh plus less and I want to stay away from the dodgy Dual Clutch auto transmission in petrol. Diesel TC 8 speed is very good in Comfort and the Sport should feed well if I want to go bonkers. Plus I'm getting better mileage of around 30 percent more and cost less per liter. For some reason BMW charges more for diesel maintenance.

In the used car market I found a 2018 XDrive quoting 29 lakhs with no warranty of any kind. I'm on my own for everything from day one. It's a good deal for an xDrive. But there is a risk.

Generally 30 lakhs are being mandated for a 2018-2019 X1 without warranty. I have to pay 20 lakhs more for 4 year warranty + BSI plus (seems possible with a bit more negotiation) for the brand new one. I'll gain in resale value later and peace of mind for 4 years. If I calculate service cost 35000 for 4 years approximately it costs 1.2 lakhs in BSI Plus. Basically just diesel to be paid for in the first four years it sounds like. Is it a realistic assumption? Any existing X1 buyers could throw some light on this?

Last edited by sgmuser : 7th July 2022 at 18:59. Reason: Typo
Old 19th July 2022, 09:52   #12
BHPian

Some more updates.

Test drove GLA220D and XC40. Came out underwhelmed. Also test drove X1 Petrol and surprisingly, underwhelming compared to the X1 Diesel.

I went to the MB showroom, and the test drive was immediately available for GLA220D, the newly launched upgraded model. Even though it has grown bigger and the interior looks very modern for a MB with some notable tech bits, surprisingly, the engine is not at all refined as that of X1 or XC40. The executive mentioned that it is in Eco mode and I pushed to the Sport mode and still, I am not finding it equal to what I felt in a X1 expectedly. Also, the notable irritant is that the noise it filters into the cabin when pushed.

The overall experience of the drive was less refined compared to X1 and XC40. The shocks were ok when going over the bumps. The only plus is that the interiors are better compared to X1 and the brand. So, I do not think personally, this is worth the price it commands for a souped up crossover with 19 inch wheels. Still the GLA carries over the back end design that plays the spoil sport. The view from the rear is still like a hatch. In this way X1 is a clever design. The 2023 design still takes this to the next level with a more matured rear end for X1 which gives a SUV look rather than a Crossover look. Incidentally, I saw two X1s when test driving MB of same blue color I am routing for. X1 is kind of common on roads compared to GLA or XCs.

With XC40, the drive was very responsive when it comes to the pull. The Tech is very good compared to the rest of the lot but the issue is whether it will help that much in places like Chennai etc. where we have one of the chaotic traffic in my opinion. The music system in XC40 was the best sounding with Harmon. The worst part of XC40 was the soft sprung shocks which were so soft/bumpy in the rear seat in an undulated but clear tarmac which is the norm in TN. You will see a cleanly laid tarmac but you will know the undulations/up and downs only when you go over them. This is causing XC40 to tumble and roll a lot in the rear and it is so obvious and I had to reject it straightaway. It is as worse as the Scorpio but for 55 lakhs car, this is simply unacceptable. The car is spacious though and with comfortable leather seats etc.

New one is coming in September and they accept bookings for that only. It has good features which I would like to have like lane departure warning and many other ADAS features. But the design and the ride is not something hits my heart or mind.

With X1 test drove Petrol version to feel the difference. I felt there was not much difference in refinement and there could have been some slight difference in the drive but still, I could not differentiate it much. The drive is still the same as that of a typical BMW, very confident inspiring on the same roads. I was particular, I wanted to test in the same route, so, it was easy to judge/compare. So, I decided to stick to Diesel if it is X1. The 8 or so rupees difference with Petrol + 4 to 5 kmpl difference is something worth considering along with the better resale value for the diesel in this part of the world. I am planning to keep this car for at least 6 years or so.

The only disadvantage with X1 is that there is a newer model coming soon. It has been revealed already in the international market but it is going to be a while to come to India (2nd quarter 2023). I am sure there will be price change upwardly, and simply no discounts. I have to wait for a year or so. I thought this is the right time to experience the BMW. Usually I wait for the model change and make my purchase and here the price difference of at least 4-5 lakhs and the expected changes are not going to be really justified for me. What I want is the BMW logo and the BMW driving experience in a compact package that can manage the Chennai/TN roads. The deal I got is with service/warranty package is good enough I believe. FYI, the GLA comes with 8 years of drivetrain warranty. But X1 diesel engine with 8 speed TC is common across multiple models and I am ok with it. Another reason why I went for Diesel is that the Petrol comes with a DSG and I am not very confident with that itself.

Finally, I would rate Volvo's customer interaction/professionalism as the best in the lot and they were so courteous, patient and explained all the features well in advance. MB was just good and I think it could be due to the fact that MB made everything online/transparent/fixed pricing etc. Looks like the booking need to be made directly with MB. It is a great new process but it might not work well in India where even a 1000 rupees discount for 10 lakh car is still something satisfying for us!

BMW is the most effective and responsive and managed to meet the requests I have made. They were very patient and when I was just checking the 7 series, the enthusiasm they showed even though they knew well that I am only just checking it, I felt good. This could be one way to impress. I did not visit Volvo showroom. MB's ambience was good and they had displayed all the models.

More updates coming soon.

Last edited by sgmuser : 19th July 2022 at 09:54.
Old 19th July 2022, 11:28   #13
One
BHPian

Quote:
You are not alone here but frankly most Indian don't care when it comes to their wallets. I had briefly mentioned few things about this in a post here (The Hyundai-Pakistan tweet controversy)

Quoting myself in parts from there:

Quote:
China is doing as bad things to us as Galwan everyday, and yet the top selling brands of mobile phones in India are all Chinese.

....There is a line I remember repeatedly from "India Unbound" by Gurucharan Das. The author is told by a foreign economist that Indians are brilliant at debating- if you want nothing done, get two Indians to debate each other and nothing will move....

...So educated Indians will use brilliant economic hypothesis to prove how these companies are providing employment and that we don't have viable alternates but will not remember that a nation exists not because of intellectual brilliance but because of an emotion i.e. people's faith in its boundaries and their ability to protect it when those are threatened physically or notionally. Our history and our present consumer behaviour provides enough indicators on how we fare there....

....doubt we have the ability to do what consumers did to Korean Lotte in China after investing 9 billion dollars there (with some nudge nudge from the government as well as few other factors beyond the scope of this post)....

....The number of brands which have apologised to China include biggies like McDonald's, Mercedes , multiple fashion brands, NBA etc. because they are afraid of losing business....
There's a difference in importing raw earth elements or pharmaceuticals vs enrichment of a consumer business like cars where alternates (even if considered inferior) exist and where discretionary forex drives out of our coffers.

Have a close family member home visiting us for a few weeks who faced bullets from these same folks; people like him have said enough on print about what is actually being stolen from us as a country while we enrich and defend our neighbour using arguments which will be true only in the short term. In my line of work I saw their hardware deployed in critical Infrastructure which was a copy of European equipment and the software would show the name of the European company! But we used logic of economic savings to justify theft of IP.

Anyways, I can assure you, you are not alone. Maybe wouldn't have the luxury if I was economically backward, but because I am not, am able to make choices bypassing their products as much as possible. This is true for last 20 years because am surrounded by people who serve the country and truth comes straight from them. In cars, you can guess where Volvo fits in my choices of discretionary spends.

P.s: Am not an ultra nationalist inspite of having multiple family folks who have taken bullets. But I still am an Indian, and in a still maturing country, that is worth protecting by doing a little bit from my end.

Last edited by One : 19th July 2022 at 11:29.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 13:19   #14
BHPian

A quick update. Booked X1 sDrive Diesel. Dealer promised the delivery tomorrow. Package comes with extended warranty and service package. GLA and Volvo needs delivery of atleast three months. So this is the only option I have. Also GLA was underwhelmimg for its price when it comes to the drive. Volvos ride is not good. So, X1 is the way forward. Detailed update to follow.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th July 2022 at 17:23. Reason: Typo
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 09:18   #15
BHPian

OK, the moment of truth has arrived. Got the X1 delivered. SDrive Diesel top variant. Once I have the access to a laptop I'll try to share more information. Yet to have any proper long drive. I have taken only short trips so far due to busy schedule.
sgmuser is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks