Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2022, 13:16   #1
BHPian

Used Mini Cooper Convertibles

tbhp friends -

I've been toying with the notion of acquiring a mini convertible for weekend adventures in the outskirts of Bangalore. I have other cars for regular duties, and this is purely for fun.

However, the almost 60 lacs on-road Bangalore is a downer. Since it's the "convertible" aspect I'm drawn to, I'm starting to wonder about going the pre-worshipped route.

As a case in point, what are the pro's and con's of the 2013 Mini Cooper 3-door in the link below? It's quoted at 25.75 lacs (un-negotiated). What'd be right price considering Bangalore?

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...&rk=5&isP=true
RoadFiend is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 13:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Used Mini Cooper Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
tbhp friends -

I've been toying with the notion of acquiring a mini convertible for weekend adventures in the outskirts of Bangalore. I have other cars for regular duties, and this is purely for fun.

Any specific reason you are looking for a Mini and not a soft top THAR?

The adventure in a mini will be very limited to what you can do in a Thar!!
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 14:25   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used Mini Cooper Convertibles

Quote:
As a case in point, what are the pro's and con's of the 2013 Mini Cooper 3-door in the link below? It's quoted at 25.75 lacs (un-negotiated). What'd be right price considering Bangalore?
Go for it , but preferably look for the Cooper "S". I found the non "S" to be kind of dull to drive.

Don't know about Bangalore, but that price is high for a 9-year old Cooper in Mumbai. You can try to get newer examples.

The pros & cons will be as outlined in our reviews of the Cooper. Loads of fun to drive; IMHO, the Cooper S is more fun than a Ferrari in India. Like a fast go-kart really, and loads of style too. Downsides are the cabin size (hence low on practicality), it will remain a toy and the stiff ride quality.

Depending on your budget, you can also consider cars like the SLK, Boxster, A3 Cabriolet etc. Loads of options under 35 - 50 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Any specific reason you are looking for a Mini and not a soft top THAR?
Well said. If one desires a convertible only, then the Thar Convertible is a fantastic choice for open-top cruising in India and you can go offroading too. On the other hand, the Cooper S is way too much fun to drive on tarmac, something the Thar won't come close to (although a Jeep provides a different kind of kick).
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 18:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well said. If one desires a convertible only, then the Thar Convertible is a fantastic choice for open-top cruising in India and you can go offroading too. On the other hand, the Cooper S is way too much fun to drive on tarmac, something the Thar won't come close to (although a Jeep provides a different kind of kick).
Thar open-top won't attract as much attention as an exotic like Mini cooper convertible. That can be a pro or con depending on the individual and his/her company.
androdev is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 19:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
It's quoted at 25.75 lacs (un-negotiated). What'd be right price considering Bangalore?

I've seen 9-10 YO pre-owned coopers in the Navnit lot back in 2018/19 and the asking price was around 20-21 Lakhs. Pretty sure one of them was an S model too with JCW stickers plastered all around (Didn't look OEM). One on the listing you shared is definitely overpriced. Having said that, at least with what I've heard from friends in Bangalore, they are not an easy sell and they sit a lot, especially the drop tops. So you might have an advantage while negotiating if the owner wants to liquidate and settle quickly.
Old 20th August 2022, 19:52   #6
BHPian

I reckon purchasing a pre worshipped Mini is more of an emotional decision. If someone has a very strong emotion for the brand then why not. But, if the person (with all due respect)ask others for an opinion then it's like self doubting. You just buy a Mini or any other lifestyle/sports vehicle for that matter. Such vehicles inspite of their immense persona and charisma lacks purpose in the real world. You like you go for it. And try to get that price down even lower as these cars don't have a good resale.
Regards
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Please only look at F56 generation (2014+) older models are too dated and have very stiff ride quality and no creature comforts
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 21:52   #8
Team-BHP Support

If you have driven a normal Mini Cooper, dont expect the convertible to be anything like this. It will be heavier and the steering may not be as eager.

Also you might get unnerved with scuttle shake where the windscreen shudders etc.
Old 23rd August 2022, 00:27   #9
BHPian

I would suggest looking for F56 as well, I owned R56 S till last year and although the car is so much fun to own, it’s little too dated for 2022 with very few creature comforts. Also this isn’t the S version so it puts about only 120-122ps which isn’t a lot if you are looking for fun. The power would be strictly adequate and you will have to work that autobox, I found it a bit sluggish than the MT versions.

Also be aware the convertible doesn’t have the same dynamics as the normal version. The convertible operation is prone to failure and it will be expensive to fix it. I drive the convertibles as part of ride sharing apps here and find the rear visibility really bad when the top is down. If am not wrong, the car was launched around 33-35 in 2012 ( pretty sure the Cooper S was around 30) so 25 post 9 years seems like a crazy deal. You’d easily find new gens for that kind of money. I’d also suggest looking for BMW Z4 from the same generation, it should be similarly priced.

But incase you go for it, all the best . It’s a very unique car to own and drive around.
Old 23rd August 2022, 09:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

Have you considered the Countryman Cooper S?

From a practicality standpoint, it’s a far better prospect than the 3-door hatch, and it feels just as fun to drive as the hatch.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Countryman Cooper S during a recent 500 km road trip. The steering feels just as sharp and eager as the hatch. Performance is comparable. The exhaust note is nearly identical. It’s got oodles of style, and like all Minis, it has that ‘sense of occasion’ feeling.

You get all this, plus (a) added ground clearance for peace-of-mind touring and poor city streets, (b) usable rear seats making it a genuine 4-seater, and (c) a usable boot for the weekend. It isn’t the one-trick-pony that the 3-door Cooper S is. Do consider it.
Old 23rd August 2022, 23:55   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Go for it , but preferably look for the Cooper "S". I found the non "S" to be kind of dull to drive.

Don't know about Bangalore, but that price is high for a 9-year old Cooper in Mumbai. You can try to get newer examples.

The pros & cons will be as outlined in our reviews of the Cooper. Loads of fun to drive; IMHO, the Cooper S is more fun than a Ferrari in India. Like a fast go-kart really, and loads of style too. Downsides are the cabin size (hence low on practicality), it will remain a toy and the stiff ride quality.

Depending on your budget, you can also consider cars like the SLK, Boxster, A3 Cabriolet etc. Loads of options under 35 - 50 lakhs.
Glad to see this thread, since I had a similar dilemma. I've been wanting to buy my first premium car for a long time.
Is the Cooper S, a good fun to drive and a "premium" feel car to have?
Is it a good idea to buy a 7-8 years old, less driven (25k), Cooper S a sensible purchase and can be kept for a 2-3 years?
Old 24th August 2022, 20:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Forgot to add, I regularly drive a Mini Cooper S. On a fast winding road, hoo boy, its fun!! However, it is a very frantic car to drive at low speeds and the ride s pretty choppy at low speeds even with tubeless tyres. The plastics aint great for the price. Am always having to spot potholes, speed breakers, puddles. I mistakenly took it to the airport on a rainy morning earlier this month and was scared about potentially water logging it.

Put it this way, on Bangalore roads, my Audi Q3 is much faster. I was using a BMW M4 for over a week (you heard right!) and that was actually a much more relaxing car to drive
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 05:38   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
tbhp friends -

However, the almost 60 lacs on-road Bangalore is a downer. Since it's the "convertible" aspect I'm drawn to, I'm starting to wonder about going the pre-worshipped route.

I just came across this thread. Is there a further update? Have you bought or identified a Mini yet?

I am sharing some stuff below if it helps.
I have bought a used R56 Cooper S 2012 model hardtop hatch, back in 2019. It has just about hit the 3 year mark in my ownership. It is also 10 years old now. I paid 18 when I bought it, but if I actually sit and tot up all the expenses incurred since, I am sure I would have spent about 6 -7 more on it since the purchase. I am not shy of being open about what I have done and spent. I have every single record.

I have not put out any big long dedicated ownership thread and all but I have shared multiple shorter posts about different aspects of the ownership experience on multiple Mini Cooper and other threads. You can easily find these posts. You can also see lots of photos.

As an enthusiastic owner myself, I agree with some of the stuff written on this thread but not all of it. And believe me I have researched and studied this R56 model extensively.

A few things I will put out here.
1. Much as I also love the convertible, it is just not practical for India.
2. Buying a Mini Cooper in India is not for the faint hearted and nor is it for the parsimonious.
3. It has to be one of the steeds in your stable and cannot be the only one.
4. The normal Non S version (R56 and prior) are nice cars with good handling and are pretty adequate. But the S is just so much more powerful and growly and fun. Indeed I went and saw a second hand normal Cooper too when I was hunting, but I wasn’t impressed at all with the upkeep of the example that I saw, though it was offered at a relatively inexpensive price at the time - around 13.5.
5. Where the R56 Cooper S uses a Peugeot-BMW collaboration derived turbo charged 1.6 litre (N18) petrol engine, The F56 is the current model and uses the newer, more commonly-found BMW B48 Twin scroll turbo 2 litre engine which also has been applied for duty since 2014 onwards, albeit in various different states of tune, in the 2 series, 3 series and 5 series and X1 and other BMW offerings. (Basically this means that the newer engines will be easier to find parts for and to service.)
6. The Mini Cooper is a finicky beast. It is particular about its feed and Vitamins. (More about this can be found on the High Octane Petrol thread)

My submissions.
Yes the Mini is a unique motoring icon even in this modern form. Yes it is an absolute head turner and conversation starter and makes one long for pretty much any excuse to drive it. It is a ‘heart-led’ purchase in India and not a ‘head-ruled’ one. You have to be diligent and watchful and you have to study and research about this car, because you need to be enough of an expert on it considering its relative rarity. None of the service agencies staff will know anything like enough about it. So apart from money, there is the investment of time, that is required. It is an expensive toy but a very enjoyable one. I have enjoyed driving it to Coimbatore, Hampi, arras, Coorg, Ooty and all several times. It’s just a great fun little car.

If you would like to talk more about this, please PM me and we can connect.
Attached Thumbnails
Used Mini Cooper Convertibles-58c4f9740f2142e29d1f10f8014b0e0e.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th October 2022 at 05:49.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 12:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hijack this thread but I couldn't find a suitable thread to post my query. Mods kindly shift this post to the relevant thread if required.

I have a Mini Cooper S Convertible. Recently I had a problem with the roof mechanism. To open the roof there are 2 cables which pull and fold the roof just like a sunroof. In fact the mechanism is the same as normal sunroof. In the 2nd stage the entire roof folds. At the end of the cable there is a rectangular bracket which slides inside the side guides (Black). The cable is attached to the bracket by a small tube. Now on the left side this has broken off. BMW does not sell this as a spare. The don't even sell the cables with this bracket. You have to buy the entire unit. Cables, Motor, Side guides and central unit which houses the motor. This costs over 2 Lakhs.

Just a money making racket. Spend 2 Lakhs the the part which has failed can easily be sold separately for a couple of thousands.

Any leads where I can procure the required part oral least the cables with the required part at the ends, will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Used Mini Cooper Convertibles-iimg880x66016303515458cevve330.jpg  

Used Mini Cooper Convertibles-s_l1600_7ff6a53ac8427dd98963f758e89e42ae47755e66.jpeg  

Used Mini Cooper Convertibles-sl1600.jpg  

Used Mini Cooper Convertibles-9ef122cbf6744aef915be28e8a013da3.jpg  

Used Mini Cooper Convertibles-46d63f91122a454896d1e1d29047d561.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th July 2023 at 17:50. Reason: Minor spacing
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 13:11   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Any leads where I can procure the required part oral least the cables with the required part at the ends, will be appreciated.
I have written plenty on this and other Mini Cooper Threads regarding parts procurement; www.minimania.com, www.pelicanparts.com, www.ecstuning.com

All these sites are based in the US. They are reputable and sell all sorts of child parts for the Cooper as well as other European cars. Ive been buying stuff from these chaps since 2019 which was when I got my Cooper. I ship them in using Fedex Economy. The stuff reaches India in a week. They tell me how much duty to pay and I pay it. And they seamlessly deliver it to my house.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th July 2023 at 17:52. Reason: Minor spacing for readability
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks