Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2022, 14:21   #1
BHPian

Looking for a used luxury car for 15-lakhs

We had a 2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua QJD and 2015 Safari Storme Vx 4x4 2015. In April our Storme was totaled in a highway accident at odo reading of just 32k kms and we were left with only Vista (42k on odo). Vista was primarily driven by my wife and sometimes by me when we went to crowded areas of Bangalore where finding a parking place is difficult. Storme was my daily office drive and was used for the out-of-station trips. We have 2 kids (9 and 14 years).

After I recovered from my injuries from the accident, we started looking for Storme's replacement, but could not find a worthy alternative. I had never been a fan of XUV5OO or Scorpio, so XUV7OO was out as it was kind of a facelifted XUV5OO. The long waiting period of XUV7OO and the recently launched ScorpioN did not help either. The Harrier-Safari lack ADAS and AEB, unlike XUV7OO. A simple Auto Emergency Brake in my Storme could have averted this accident.

As we could not find a replacement of Storme, we thought of getting a safe small car (automatic/AMT). This car would have been replacement of Vista in future, after we would have bought Storme's replacement in a year or two. The final contenders were Tiago AMT and Punch AMT, but reviews on AMT held up the decision. After the accident we also felt that we had not enjoyed Storme to the fullest (everyone in family loved Storme), and on a mention by @condor for used Storme and Hexa, I had a look at a used Storme Vx 4x2 Varicor400 2016 with about 50k on odo for quoted price of 8.7L. It got me interested and I contacted the used car dealer. Before I could visit the used car dealer on the weekend, it was already sold for 8.1L. So we started looking at used Hexa. We also tried to find a used MINI, but not many samples of MINI are present in the used car segment. Then the search extended to get something from the luxury segment.

The world of used cars is vast and confusing, and I have never been interetsed in this segment for lack of value, and am totally naive when it comes to this segment. What I am lookin for is:
1. A luxury and safe car which can be had at ~15L.
2. A car with atmost 50k on odo.
3. I think only some sedans from the German trio could fall in this price range. Their SUVs would be expensive to buy. Also, something like Skoda Superb or Octavia or even a Toyota Camry would work, as these should be cheaper to maintain than the three Germans.
4. My running is very low (<5k a year), so petrol or diesel doesn't matter much.

I found some examples at a nearby user car dealer: 2013 MB E250 for 12.5, 2011 BMW GT 520d but these are DL/HR registered and registering them in Karnataka would need 5-6L. I also found a 2015 KA Reg Audi A3 Attraction for 16.5L on sale. But I am not sure what to look for in a used car, and which cars I need to avoid while searching a used car. I need some help from the members.
speed79 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 19:47   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Looking for a used luxury car for 15-lakhs

- Used car prices are insane right now, and Bangalore even more so.

- Buying a 10-year old German luxury car is asking for trouble. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind owning my own luxury car beyond 10 years, but to buy someone else's (without knowing its history, how it was driven etc.) is just dangerous.

- Remember, a 15-lakh luxury car can quickly become an 18-lakh one. Or a 20-lakh one. Once the big repairs roll in, which they certainly will on a 10+ year old car.

- You also aren't that familiar with used cars.

My advice = either buy a new car for 15 to 18 lakhs, or buy an "almost new" under-3-year old car from an organised player like Cars24, Spinny, Maruti True Value etc. Some nice cars in your range at this link.
GTO is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 23:42   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

You are better off with a used D1 or D2 segment sedan than a entry level luxury sedan as you have growing kids. The rear space is restricted in most of these entry level cars. Look for a well kept Corolla Altis, Jetta, Octavia, Passat or Superb. The Corolla Altis will give you peace of mind with comfort. The other mentioned cars would offer you an amazing driving experience with comfort. Running repairs might be expensive but nothing which a competent FNG in Bengaluru can’t manage.

Spread the word around your circle. As the festive season is around, a lot of people would be replacing their cars. You might just come across a good example in your circle. Rest you can scout for cars on the team Bhp classifieds and reach out to the used car division of new car dealerships. Visiting local dealers should be helpful but only finalise a car after you have gotten it inspected from a trusted mechanic or the authorised service station. Avoid aggregators like cars24,spinny, OLXautos.etc. as their certifications and pricing are good for nothing. Certifications have a grey area and pricing is obnoxious.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 12:36   #4
BHPian

If you really want to go that way (buying a used German car under 15L), here is what I would suggest.

* Go for at least A4/3 series/Q5/X3/Q3 as your kids are big
* Stay away from cars24 or used car dealers in Bangalore etc, you are guaranteed NOT to meet your budget or get a good deal
* Look for deals on OLX directly from owners or used car dealers of NCR region
* You can get some of the cars under 11L, 10 years old and done less than 1L km. Especially look for petrol ones as they may go for lower prices and may be ok for you since your mileage is low
* Make a shortlist and if needed even be ready to make a visit to Ashok Vihar for a test drive
* Once shortlisted, you can take the car to a showroom for a multi point check and get an estimate. If all records are available, they are usually reliable
* Negotiate with owner/dealer on estimates and try to close the deal
* Remember, on older cars since the purchase price will be in 35-40L range and then you will have to pay only 49% of applicable road tax on that car price in KA. Will not come out more than 4L for A4/3series/A4/AT/A6 models etc
*Mentally be prepared for 2-3L of expenses in next 3-4 years om suspension, engine mounts etc.
* The insurance cost of older cars is also low, I pay just 26k per year for insurance of my Q5

Maintenance of German cars is never cheap, there is nothing called inexpensive German luxury cars, keeping that in mind, enjoy the driving.

Something's got to give for a 15L used luxury German car in Bangalore with road tax paid!

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 3rd September 2022 at 12:38.
OffRoadFun is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 15:33   #5
BHPian

Today I visited used car dealer nearby. He had HR regd BMW GT 5 2011 72k on odo for 16.5L and DL regd Mercedes Benz E250 CDI 68k on odo for 12.5L. The BMW looked a lot more used from condition of interiors. The Merc had well maintained interiors, so took a test drive. The suspensions were gone, the engine was rough and some warnings in MID. Both these cars looked way more used than mentioned 70k odo reading. Rejected both of them. Not planning to look for cars from unorganized Used car dealers anymore.

Also visited Toyota U trust. There was a KA regd Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI AT Elegance 2015 with 54k on odo for 16L. It had well maintained interiors. I did not test drive it as I had a doubt about the gearbox. I have read about so many failures of DQ200, and this Superb seems to have the same gearbox. Is that correct?

There was also a Ka Regd 2016 Corolla Altis petrol MT 32k on odo for 12L. But it is an MT and I am looking for an AT.

There is one KA regd 2015/2016 Audi A3 petrol 16k on odo for 16.5L on Spinny. Haven't seen it in person. is it a good price?

Last edited by speed79 : 3rd September 2022 at 15:38. Reason: Updated
speed79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 16:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

1.4 tsi Jetta could be had for cheap with loads of money left to spare on parts and wearable items also volkswagen/skoda cars have the advantage of parts being available from multiple sources allowing you to shop around for a relatively good deal on spares (often cheaper than a similar Japanese car like an Accord/Camry/Kizashi).
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 19:34   #7
BHPian

You seem to like the ADAS features. You're okay with Petrol. You have older kids. Seems like MG Astor might not be a bad fit.

Like GTO said used car prices are ridiculous, especially the luxury ones. It doesn't make sense to buy something older than 3-5 years, which might not fit in your budget.

Last edited by inwester : 3rd September 2022 at 19:35.
inwester is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 20:36   #8
BHPian

How about the VW Passat? Understated presence and design which didn't sell well. The new ones with those LED lights, not the old round ones.
Boringrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 22:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
You seem to like the ADAS features. You're okay with Petrol. You have older kids. Seems like MG Astor might not be a bad fit.

Like GTO said used car prices are ridiculous, especially the luxury ones. It doesn't make sense to buy something older than 3-5 years, which might not fit in your budget.
I will search a bit more for something in the budget. But no Hector for me. If nothing works out, I will stick to original plan of buying new Tiago/Punch now, and a Harrier/ Safari a year later. ADAS or no ADAS, but no Hector.
Old 4th September 2022, 11:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

I will bet my money on used Camry hybrid. These are long, fairly luxurious and quite comfortable to drive and be seated. I am sure you will appreciate the Toyota reliability a key factor which the Germans may not give you. The Hybrid version will give 12-14 kmpl in traffic conditions which for such a long car is simply mind blowing.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 11:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
3. I think only some sedans from the German trio could fall in this price range. Their SUVs would be expensive to buy. Also, something like Skoda Superb or Octavia or even a Toyota Camry would work, as these should be cheaper to maintain than the three Germans.
Why are you not considering Volvo? From the Volvo threads here, its evident that Volvo's maintenance is cheaper than the 3 big Germans.

I am also in the same boat as you. I have the almost impossible task of upgrading from a Jetta Highline AT and I have a budget of around 22 lacs. I am mostly looking at 3 series, Volvo S60 or XC60.
casnov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 11:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Do check the Corolla Altis. This is one of the few cars that are at the back of my mind in case I come to replacement question. The Storme is difficult to replace, which only those of us who have it /had it can understand.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 12:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I will bet my money on used Camry hybrid. These are long, fairly luxurious and quite comfortable to drive and be seated. I am sure you will appreciate the Toyota reliability a key factor which the Germans may not give you. The Hybrid version will give 12-14 kmpl in traffic conditions which for such a long car is simply mind blowing.
Camry is one of the rarest to find as it did not sell in good numbers. And whatever will be available, will be too pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnov View Post
Why are you not considering Volvo? From the Volvo threads here, its evident that Volvo's maintenance is cheaper than the 3 big Germans.

I am also in the same boat as you. I have the almost impossible task of upgrading from a Jetta Highline AT and I have a budget of around 22 lacs. I am mostly looking at 3 series, Volvo S60 or XC60.
Again used Volvo are not there in large numbers and are quite expensive to be considered.

Have you already sold your Jetta? Do let me know if you are going to put on block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Do check the Corolla Altis. This is one of the few cars that are at the back of my mind in case I come to replacement question. The Storme is difficult to replace, which only those of us who have it /had it can understand.
Very well said condor. Only those who have/had Storme, can understand that there is no replacement of Storme. I am keeping my eyes open for any low run 2015+ Storme Vx.
speed79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 12:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
I also found a 2015 KA Reg Audi A3 Attraction for 16.5L on sale. But I am not sure what to look for in a used car, and which cars I need to avoid while searching a used car. I need some help from the members.
I’d avoid the A3, it’s underpowered, cramped and has poor interior ambience, specially with kids where rear seat space is a consideration.

There are plenty of used 2010-11 523i’s and E250/300’s listed on used car sites for 9-12L, keep 3-4L aside for part replacements and you’ll be good. If you want absolute peace of mind and can compromise on the brand, go with a 2013 Accord 3.5 V6 eyes closed, faster than an E300 with more rear seat space and cheaper maintenance. You should get these at 6-6.5L.

Avoid Camry as the ones before 2015 came with only 2 airbags and were really lumpy to drive, Jetta while much better to drive had a cramped rear seat, and felt underpowered. Passat is a great option but sadly petrol variants are very rare. Sonata again avoid as the GDI petrol motors had major fuel injection issues. Superb had the infamous DQ200 issues.

In short, do some research on the exact model year you want to buy and google it for specific problems (every car has a few). Then get it checked at an authorised dealer as well as have your trusted mechanic check it, finally test drive it and if everything is in order go ahead and buy, keeping some money aside for maintenance/repairs.

Last edited by AJ56 : 4th September 2022 at 12:56.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 14:27   #15
BHPian

What you get for 15 lakhs in luxury German car, isn't worth buying, IF, now that is very big if, read on. Please remember, the rupee has depreciated big time. What you could get for your budget 8-9 years back is now costing nothing less than 25-30 lakhs today. In your budget;

1. You won't get a single one which is less than 5-7 years old, and ODO below 70k, especially in Bangalore with KA registration.

2. But there many good cars which are 8 -15 years old which have full service history and pre worshipped by the owners. You might get real gems even under 10 lakhs.

3. If you are prepared to take the risk like that, 80% chances are you will be rewarded.

4. But for that you need to have patience and be mentally ready to fork out the money if something goes wrong.

5. You need to identify an experienced mechanic of luxury German cars with proper garage and equipment. If you go to the company dealer, you will be ripped and sometimes still work not done. BTW there are some good ones in Bangalore, so no need to worry.

6. Be prepared to spend an average of 50-70 k a year for upkeep, but if your running is less, you might spend as little as 30 k a year.

7. You might end up enjoying the car a lot and also end up owning a priceless classic which you might never sell.

8. Do remember that such a car will be your pride but not your primary car. Use it well when you can truly enjoy driving it, not to run errands trying to park in tight places.

9. Highway drives will be bliss.

If you are up for the game, you can always DM me, I'll be glad to help you in getting the right car.
zulfi hansi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks