Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2022, 15:53   #1
BHPian

Optimizing the garage | What to sell and what to buy?

Hey all,

There are four of us in the house, my parents, my partner & I.

We have three cars at present, largely because of legacy: both my parents and I used to commute to work every day.

Now however, we don't need three cars. The last time all three of them were used at the same time was in 2020!

This is the garage:
- 2016 Vento 1.2 TSi (run 25,000km); bought new
- 2016 Audi A3 TDi (run 45,000km); bought used in 2018
- 2017 Octavia vRS 230 (run 42,000km); bought used in 2021

All three cars are in immaculate condition.

So we are looking to downsize the garage to two cars and these are the options that we were considering the following options:

Option 1: Sell the A3 and the Vento, buy a used Mini Countryman S

the reason for this option is that both my parents love the Mini Countryman and as both of them are driving enthusiasts, they want the S or the JCW.

This option also means that the capital outlay post selling the two cars will be ~15 lakhs which is acceptable.

The downside of this is we have two relatively premium cars in the garage: the Mini and the vRS and no real workhorse / beater car.

Option 2: Sell the A3, keep the Vento and the vRS, don't buy another car

Financially, this is just more sensible. Pocket the money from the sale of the A3 (depreciation of the car is next to 0 considering the current market) and use the Vento for city pitter-potter and the vRS for longer drives.

the downside of this is that they don't get the car that they love (or think they love).

This brings me to a few questions: is the Mini Cooper Countryman S worth it (leaving price aside)? I have driven the Cooper S (3 door) and thought it was a brilliant handler but it was also a little too stiff and didn't feel like it was a league above the vRS in terms of premiumness. What does the Coutryman offer that the vRS doesn't?

Would love the community's thoughts on the above two options, feedback on the Countryman S, and if there are any other cars that we might be overlooking which could be better than the Countryman (compact and fun to drive!)

PS: Selling the vRS is not an option!

Last edited by mango_pal : 11th November 2022 at 16:01.
mango_pal is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 18:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Optimizing the garage | What to sell and what to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post

Option 1: Sell the A3 and the Vento, buy a used Mini Countryman S

Option 2: Sell the A3, keep the Vento and the vRS, don't buy another car
Option 3: Sell the Vento, keep A3 and vRS. Do a stage 1 remap for A3 and you have 2 totally fun to drive cars + Audi badge
No additional cost, but will save some money too
sunikkat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 20:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Option 1
Sell the Vento and buy no new car. The A3 can be a good beater. Its a TDI, is fast, is frugal, relatively compact and handles decently well. This way all drivers in the house will be happy as both vRS and A3 are enjoyable to drive so no one feels the pinch in picking either key. Issue with this option is that its so easy that you wont feel any change in life (change is the spice of life). No new toy to play with.

Option 2
Sell the Vento and A3 though I wouldn't recommend the Countryman S. The ride quality is just abysmal for the price across all Coopers. You already have one stiff car in the Vrs. Buy a comfortable luxury SUV (compact / semi-large) as the next. Since you are happy with pre-owned options earlier, the choices are plenty. Whole idea is the upgrade or change should feel like one both engine and ride wise and features wise or at least overall. The variety of cars will add spice and depending on the mood, road trip; the choice will be made.

Last edited by dipen : 11th November 2022 at 20:17.
dipen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 22:29   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Option 2 The ride quality is just abysmal for the price across all Coopers.
In my experience, the Cooper S becomes a very different animal when its RFTs are pulled off and replaced with nice Tubeless tyres with a nice comfy sidewall. The ride quality improves enormously.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 01:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What does the Coutryman offer that the vRS doesn't?

Would love the community's thoughts on the above two options, feedback on the Countryman S, and if there are any other cars that we might be overlooking which could be better than the Countryman (compact and fun to drive!)
Simply put; there is no other vehicle in the market that offers the same levels of ergonomic practicality in terms of easy ingress/egress and overall easy chair-like driving position combined with a keen fun-to-drive nature. For older people, this is a huge deal. For that reason alone, I would go for option 1 (sell vento+A3 and buy the countryman)
IshaanIan is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 09:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: Selling the vRS is not an option!

Quote:
This is the garage:
- 2016 Vento 1.2 TSi (run 25,000km); bought new
- 2016 Audi A3 TDi (run 45,000km); bought used in 2018
- 2017 Octavia vRS 230 (run 42,000km); bought used in 2021

if there are any other cars that we might be overlooking which could be better than the Countryman (compact and fun to drive!)
The cars you've mentioned fall beyond my means so the below suggestions are primarily driven by numbers and guesswork.

Some observations:
- The A3 TDi should be the one to go.
- The Vento TSi, bought new, should serve as an excellent beater till it lasts. No point taking a hit by selling it and buying something else.
- If your parents love the Countryman then get it, no point playing practical on it. If you look at the alternatives all I can see is the Kodiaq and the Tiguan which according to me aren't really a competition as the exclusivity of the Countryman is unmatched. Plus would be a nice change to welcome something outside the VW-Skoda family

Which option to go with is your call but I see another option, with a 3 car garage, where the Vento as the beater, the Countryman for your parents and the vRS for you.

I don't think that the savings in selling the Vento and buying another beater car would exceed 2-3 lakhs and this doesn't include the steep downgrade you'll feel when you step out from the vRS or the Countryman into the beater which isn't the Vento. Not to forget the safety angle as well.

Last edited by shancz : 12th November 2022 at 09:45.
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 13:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Sell the Vento, keep the A3 & the vRS :

Biggest downside of the Vento is the dry clutch DSG especially since yours is pretty much city run. The A3 is fairly easy to drive around the city, and is a very nimble handler (without compromising on the ride) not to mention wouldn't feel as aged as the vento.
A remap would give the A3 the added punch too.
The money from the sale of the Vento would look after the maintenance of both the vRS and the A3 - and in Bombay, the A3 can function as a beater - get PPF on the bumpers + mirrors and you are good to go.

Similarly the vRS is a legend in it's own so I'd keep it and enjoy it and maybe after a few years upgrade to a 330 / Mini.
That being said, I'd actually consider selling this off and picking up a pre-owned Cooper / Countryman S or JCW if the heart desires instant gratification along with the Vento as both the vRS and Mini have a lot of similar qualities - fun to drive, petrol powered, stiff ride.
This way you have a fun car (vRS / Mini) + a cruiser (A3).
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 21:35   #8
BHPian

You have only 2 options to choose
1. Compromise the Countryman. Sell the Vento and use the Audi as the workhorse. I am sure DQ250 is more reliable and a better performer than the notorious DQ200. And an Audi A3 is any day better than a Vento in most aspects.
2. Sell the Audi and Vento. Buy the Countryman and use it as a workhorse (This is what I will do in your shoes). End of the day, your parents are happy to drive their love, and you are happy to meet your reduction in number from 3 to 2. You probably can look for a used one in the Diesel guise which will serve as your workhorse.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 02:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Option 3: Sell the Vento, keep A3 and vRS. Do a stage 1 remap for A3 and you have 2 totally fun to drive cars + Audi badge
+1 for this. I think this makes the most sense. Vento is the disposable one here compared to your other 2 cars.

Audi A3 TDI is very frugal for day to day drives and small enough for city runs.

vRS is a special and fun car. Worth it for those highway cruises.

If you really want a new small hatch / crossover, I would recommend getting the new BMW X1 early 2023, instead of the Countryman.
inwester is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 08:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Any specific reason why you want to sell the A3 and keep the Vento? Is it only monetary reasons?
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 11:55   #11
BHPian

Re: Optimizing the garage | What to sell and what to buy?

Quote:
Absolutely agree with this. Makes the most sense.
sanjayrozario is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 14:51   #12
Team-BHP Support

If your folks can do without getting the Mini, I'd recommend selling the Vento and holding on to the the A3 + VRS. Apart from the badge A3 is nicely compact for the neighborhood runabout or the occasional road trip for two with that frugal yet fun TDI motor whilst the VRS can take care of the airport hauls and long road trips with that massive boot and continue to thrill all you with its performance.
manson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 15:56   #13
BHPian

My advice would be to sell the A3 because that makes a lot of sense, vento is the car to keep for relatively easy maintenance and can be used as a beater city car, keep the VRS for the weekends and your garage would be sorted.
zaid qazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 16:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Going against the tide - If the Vento is DSG equipped, I'd sell the A3, keep the Vento (its practically unused!) & the VRS. The Vento can be a very practical and pocket friendly beater car - which the A3 can't be. On our road conditions - (your and my city) - other people damaging cars is a very real thing, & keeping an Audi in top shape, for sure is a costlier ask. Then - the A3 isn't exactly spacious either. The fun to drive factor - will always be taken care of by the VRS, and nothing else.

And - this matches with your option 2.
The A3 is used a total of 45K KMs only since 2016 (including previous owner). So - its not exactly "needed" much per se.

If the Vento is an MT though - I'd part with the Vento and keep the A3 and the VRS.
(Disclaimer - the Audi badge ownership joy - not replaceable.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th November 2022 at 16:02.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 16:37   #15
BHPian

Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments, lots of interesting food for thought!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Option 1
Sell the Vento and buy no new car. The A3 can be a good beater. Its a TDI, is fast, is frugal, relatively compact and handles decently well. This way all drivers in the house will be happy as both vRS and A3 are enjoyable to drive so no one feels the pinch in picking either key. Issue with this option is that its so easy that you wont feel any change in life (change is the spice of life). No new toy to play with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Sell the Vento, keep the A3 & the vRS...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
1. Compromise the Countryman. Sell the Vento and use the Audi as the workhorse. I am sure DQ250 is more reliable and a better performer than the notorious DQ200. And an Audi A3 is any day better than a Vento in most aspects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
+1 for this. I think this makes the most sense. Vento is the disposable one here compared to your other 2 cars.

Audi A3 TDI is very frugal for day to day drives and small enough for city runs.

vRS is a special and fun car. Worth it for those highway cruises.

If you really want a new small hatch / crossover, I would recommend getting the new BMW X1 early 2023, instead of the Countryman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Any specific reason why you want to sell the A3 and keep the Vento? Is it only monetary reasons?

Selling the Vento and keeping the A3 seems to be the resonating theme. A few thoughts:

1. The Vento has depreciated from ~13 lakhs when it was bought to ~8 lakhs today. But the A3 has held its value really well (considering I bought got a great deal from the first owner). Given that the A3 is a diesel, in case there are any regulations that come out that phase out diesels at a national level, the A3 might take a fair depreciation hit. If I sell it for near the same price I paid for it, should I consider doing it?

2. Would love some more thoughts on the Countryman S. Will it be a special car to drive and put a smile on our face each time we sit in it? Will it be reliable? Is Mini service at the Skoda end or the Lexus / Toyota end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In my experience, the Cooper S becomes a very different animal when its RFTs are pulled off and replaced with nice Tubeless tyres with a nice comfy sidewall. The ride quality improves enormously.
Thanks for this, didn't think about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Simply put; there is no other vehicle in the market that offers the same levels of ergonomic practicality in terms of easy ingress/egress and overall easy chair-like driving position combined with a keen fun-to-drive nature. For older people, this is a huge deal. For that reason alone, I would go for option 1...
Very valid points, thanks. Didn't think about the ergonomic bit especially as my parents are getting older. Though they're in their mid 60's now and this will (hopefully) not be a factor for the next reshuffle or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Some observations:
- The A3 TDi should be the one to go....
- If your parents love the Countryman then get it, no point playing practical on it. If you look at the alternatives all I can see is the Kodiaq and the Tiguan which according to me aren't really a competition as the exclusivity of the Countryman is unmatched. Plus would be a nice change to welcome something outside the VW-Skoda family
I don't think that the savings in selling the Vento and buying another beater car would exceed 2-3 lakhs and this doesn't include the steep downgrade you'll feel when you step out from the vRS or the Countryman into the beater which isn't the Vento. Not to forget the safety angle as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaid qazi View Post
My advice would be to sell the A3 because that makes a lot of sense, vento is the car to keep for relatively easy maintenance and can be used as a beater city car, keep the VRS for the weekends and your garage would be sorted.
Thanks. To clarify, we won't be buying a 'beater' car to replace the Vento in case it is the one to go. The aim is to have a 2 car garage.

Thanks for bringing up the safety aspect! Though the Vento does have 4 stars, it has just 2 airbags. Will need ensure it is used only in the city.

Thanks so much everyone for your valuable inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Going against the tide - If the Vento is DSG equipped, I'd sell the A3, keep the Vento (its practically unused!) & the VRS. The Vento can be a very practical and pocket friendly beater car - which the A3 can't be. On our road conditions - (your and my city) - other people damaging cars is a very real thing, & keeping an Audi in top shape, for sure is a costlier ask. Then - the A3 isn't exactly spacious either. The fun to drive factor - will always be taken care of by the VRS, and nothing else.

And - this matches with your option 2.
The A3 is used a total of 45K KMs only since 2016 (including previous owner). So - its not exactly "needed" much per se.

If the Vento is an MT though - I'd part with the Vento and keep the A3 and the VRS.
(Disclaimer - the Audi badge ownership joy - not replaceable.)

Thanks for that. Vento is a DSG.

Very valid point about damaging cars. Recently, someone broke (intentionally?) a rear light on my vRS when I had parked it at a chai stall near the start point of a trek. A tyre on my friends brand new Q5 was also slit.

A3 was bought at 10,000 odd km so it has seen 35K km of usage in 4 years. Due to frequent Bombay - Pune trips. But those trips have completely stopped thankfully. Traffic sucks.

Note to mods: can this post please be merged with my previous post.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th November 2022 at 18:22.
mango_pal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks