View Poll Results: What should I get?
BMW X1 58 30.53%
Skoda Kodiaq 128 67.37%
Other (please specify in your post) 4 2.11%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2022, 15:07   #1

BMW X1 or Skoda Kodiaq

Hi fellow members - I am seriously confused. I have been on a lookout for a premium SUV/crossover with a budget of 40 lacs for long. In august when the bookings opened again, I had booked an L&K kodaiq. it will cost me 47L on road in Gurgaon. There is still no concrete timeline on delivery and wait continues. Meanwhile I am being offered a BMW X1 20i xline (petrol) at a discounted price due to year end and outgoing model. My requirements are:

1) Petrol due to NGT rules
2) Good space for 5 people
3) good performance and driving pleasure
4) creature comforts (360 camera, ventillated seats etc)

My drive is 85% city and 15% highway runs. Family of 5.

BMW for me has a huge brand value and will be an aspirational one to own. It will also be 3-4 lacs cheaper than Kodiaq. But i am worried about seating comfort and space, which I think are definitely better in Kodiaq. I test drove the X1 and the drive was really good and smooth shifts. I havent been able to test drive the kodiaq despite many efforts. the Kodiaq has more features but I am assuming the BMW should have better fit and finish

Can people who own or have driven X1 - help me with pros and cons and which one of the two I should go for. If you were to take the call,which one is a better decision? I Do know that this X1 is outgoing model but I plan to keep the car for 7-10 years.
carObari is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 19:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW X1 or Skoda Kodiaq

Honestly I would go for Kodiaq over X1 Petrol. The X1 petrol doesn’t have anything, other than brand value, to offer against Kodiaq. The Kodiaq is spacious, feels more premium, powerful, AWD etc.

I still feel X1 diesel is a good buy for its powerful engine.
Old 13th November 2022, 19:33   #3
BHPian

BMW X1 is no match for Skoda Kodiaq in terms of practicality, but based on your requirements, I think you should go with the X1. Kodiaq, to me, is a tourer and is a car you can take anywhere, but you don't seem to be driving across the country in it, so I suggest X1 as it will add more value to your aspirations and is a BMW, is a BMW.

Just a word of caution, the current generation of X1 is at the end of it's life and will be replaced with a facelift version very soon (probably Q1 2023).
shahbaz63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 20:59   #4
BHPian

Since you have a family of five, the Kodiaq will probably suit your needs much better. It's powerful, is brimming with tech and contrary to popular belief, does not actually fall behind the BMW with regard to interior quality. It also gets DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control, basically adaptive suspension), which is a huge plus as it is a fantastic system.

Be warned, DSGs have been a known devil. This one is a wet-clutch unit built to handle more torque, so it will probably fare better, but go for the extended warranty all the same. Good luck with your decision!
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 21:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW is a better brand to spend that sort of money in comparison to a Skoda.

If you are a careful driver the bundled maintenance package will take care of most things however I have not met any German premium car owner who has a one car garage!
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 00:21   #6
BANNED

As an owner of X1 and somebody has kodiaq a fair bit, these are 2 very different cars especially in the current models. X1 is very much the car if you value the comfort in the front 2 seats, driving pleasure and ease of driving. It is much smaller, feels tighter to drive and more manageable in the city. Kodiaq is a more relaxed driver, higher seating position and more comfy rear seats.

I am very satisfied with X1 but your use calls for the 5 seats usage and that would move my suggestion to the Kodiaq. Badge value is of course lesser.

Since your usage is 85 percent city, i would strongly suggest to keep in mind the kind of roads you are planning to drive on. If these are tight city lanes, neither of these are honestly well suited.
agambhandari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 07:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

X1 is a better choice here. It is not wise to spend that kind of money on a manufacturer with a shaky after sales support reputation and an even worse reliability record. And your requirement is mostly city running where X1's compactness will be an advantage. X1 is a popular car. It will help you in resale and spares support. When in doubt, go for the car that market favours. It will be a safer choice.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 14th November 2022 at 07:44.
padmrajravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 11:24   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Poll added to this thread! You really can't go wrong with either car, so it's a good predicament to be in .

I think your heart is sold on the BMW, so you could proceed with that. You'll have fun driving it, it's a more city-friendly size, the reliability will be better than the Skoda and of course, there's the badge on the hood. But before you buy the X1, you should call for a test-drive at home and see if your family is okay with the space. Simply because you have written that room for 5 is a key requirement.

I consider the Kodiaq to be a superior crossover though. It's a true flagship product, especially with the new adjustable suspension which makes a world of difference. Sweet turbo-petrol, fast DSG, more space than the X1 and even a 3rd row for the kids. Biggest 3 downsides are the price (it's gotten very expensive), Skoda's poor reliability & after-sales, and the waiting period. If your showroom doesn't have a Kodiaq on display, just go check out a used one from any dealer to get an idea of its space & practicality.

Last edited by GTO : 14th November 2022 at 11:26.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 12:19   #9
BHPian

Voted for the Kodiaq as it makes a much better all-rounder.

The X1 is a basic crossover. In the F48, they took away the RWD platform, and with the petrol I think they still use the 7-speed DCT. The interiors are dated and space is little.

However, you do have the advantage that if you negotiate hard, they may offer good discounts and after they do, you must ask them to include additional BSI and BRI packages in the cost. And you will get the car immediately unlike the Kodiaq. Though in the long run, the need for space and comfort may far outweigh the immediate benefits.
HighRevving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 12:43   #10
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest the Kodiaq – it’s like the top-end of Skoda v/s the low-end of BMW. But if the brand BMW pull is strong, I would suggest waiting for the launch of the new generation X1. It looks much better than the outgoing model, and also will get the latest BMW interiors.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 14:10   #11

As per Poll and comments on the Thread - Kodiaq is a clear winner. Infact there is no competition itself :-)
Old 16th November 2022, 09:12   #12
BHPian

I would recommend Kodiaq - simply because your get more car for your money except for the badge.
Mechanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 09:37   #13

BMW X1 is quite a competent car and you would not regret if you go for it.Having said that i think When you and your Family test drive the Kodiaq you might just change your mind.
Have always felt that Kodiaq is 80% Audi Q5.Not only will it be more spacious and comfortable(Being the Bigger car, and having tubeless tyres instead of run flat and Dynamic Chassis control).It might also be cheaper to maintain over the 7-10 years you plan to keep compared to the BMW.
You cant go wrong with either.
NEWTON-METERS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 09:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

The X1 is completely outdated and has 0 creature comforts or equipment compared to any other model in BMW's lineup. They also discontinued the superior X-drive variant with the M-sports seats. I wouldn't touch an X1 unless they are giving it to me for the price it was launched in 2016.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 11:30   #15
BHPian

If it satisfies the requirement for space for 5, X1 diesel. I am not sure if it has been discontinued. Kodiaq is good no doubt but way overpriced

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks