Jeep Meridian 10 5.29%
Citroen C5 Aircross 7 3.70%
Hyundai Tucson 29 15.34%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 3.70%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2022, 10:20   #1
Team-BHP Support

40-50 lakh crossover shootout: Audi Q3 vs BMW X1 vs Mercedes GLA-Class vs Volvo XC40 vs others

40-50 lakh crossover shootout: Audi Q3 vs BMW X1 vs Mercedes GLA-Class vs Volvo XC40 vs others-audi-q3-comparo-extra.png

Audi Q3

What you'll like:

• Evolved sporty styling, matched with solid build quality
• Increased cabin space, practicality and boot capacity (530 litres)
• Incredibly fun-to-drive 2.0L turbo-petrol with a quick 7-speed dual-clutch automatic
• Quattro all-wheel drive provides loads of grip & will help you get out of tricky situations (sand, mud etc.)
• Good road manners with sorted ride quality
• Well-equipped (panoramic sunroof, powered front seats, dual-zone climate control, virtual cockpit & more)
• 5-star Euro NCAP safety rating and equipment

What you won't:

• Efficient & punchy 2.0 turbo-diesel is no longer available. Heavy users will miss its low running costs
• Same 187 horses as the Kodiaq & Tiguan. We would've preferred a higher state of tune on a more expensive Audi
• Pricey! The Skoda Kodiaq and VW Tiguan are ~10-15 lakhs cheaper on-road
• Just two variants. No cheaper FWD entry-level variant available. Period
• Should’ve gotten adaptive dampers, at least on the top-end 'Technology' variant
• Cabin is best suited for 4 adults, not 5
• Missing features like a 360-degree camera, ventilated seats, driving assist tech, auto-hold, connected car gizmos etc.

Link to Official Review

BMW X1
40-50 lakh crossover shootout: Audi Q3 vs BMW X1 vs Mercedes GLA-Class vs Volvo XC40 vs others-_dsc6880.jpg

Link to Chethan B G's Ownership Review

Link to Nurni76's Ownership Review

Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class
40-50 lakh crossover shootout: Audi Q3 vs BMW X1 vs Mercedes GLA-Class vs Volvo XC40 vs others-img_2803.jpg

Link to Karan561's Review

Volvo XC40

What you'll like:

• A sharply styled SUV. Volvo’s new designs sure are head-turners!
• Solid build & top-notch quality, inside out
• Sweet looking cabin that’s loaded to the gills with features
• 9” responsive touchscreen & Harman Kardon sound system are awesome
• Excellent high speed stability coupled with sorted handling
• Volvo's 5-star safety rating & equipment

What you won't:

• Rear seat comfort levels are mediocre. It’s best for just 2 & ingress / egress are tricky too
• Firm low speed ride. Liveable, but not plush in the city
• Small dealership and service network isn't a patch on its competitors
• 2.0L petrol is the only engine on offer. No diesel option
• Lacks the badge value of the German marques

Link to Official Review

Link to Gismosin's Ownership Review

Mini Countryman
40-50 lakh crossover shootout: Audi Q3 vs BMW X1 vs Mercedes GLA-Class vs Volvo XC40 vs others-01-image-mini-countryman.jpg

Link to Launch Thread

Volkswagen Tiguan

Link to Official Review

Link to Official Review - The 2021 Facelift

Skoda Kodiaq

What you'll like:

• The ultimate “value luxury” SUV! Classy styling, solid build & superb quality
• Cabin offers space, practicality and lots of intelligent features
• Impressive 2.0L turbo-petrol is mated to a quick 7-speed DSG automatic
• Cushy ride quality in “Comfort” mode (L&K variant)
• Sorted handling & road manners in “Sport” mode. Adjustable suspension is a USP of the L&K
• 3rd-row of seats is an advantage over some 5-seater competitors
• Massive boot with 3rd seat row down. Boot is useable even with the 3rd seat row up
• Impressive kit (12-speaker Canton ICE, panoramic sunroof, 360-degree camera, auto parking...)
• AWD available to get you out of tricky situations. Tourers will love it
• 5-star safety rating & equipment (9 airbags + a host of electronic aids)

What you won't:

• Workhorse 2.0L turbo-diesel is no longer available. Heavy users will miss its low running costs
• Single digit fuel economy of the turbo-petrol AT in the city. Drops drastically if you drive aggressively
• Its sibling, the VW Tiguan, is priced a few lakhs cheaper
• Expensive! Worse still, Skoda increased the Kodiaq’s pricing within days of the launch
• Cramped 3rd row of seats is strictly for small children. A 5+2 SUV, not a 7-seater
• Styling does look Estate-ish from some angles. Doesn't have that much street cred or presence
• We feel that the “Sportline” variant should’ve been offered with the DCC & other L&K features
• Skoda’s ill-famed dealership network & after-sales horror stories
• Skoda’s patchy long-term reliability track record (including, but not limited to, the DSG)
• Silly feature deletions from older Kodiaq (rear door sills, 1 umbrella, 1 blanket, chrome tip on power window switches, removeable torch in the boot, red warning lights on the front doors…)

Link to Official Review

Jeep Meridian

What you'll like:

• Handsome unmistakably-Jeep styling & loads of character
• Robust build quality. Feels very solid, just as a Jeep should
• Classy cabin now boasts a versatile 5+2 seating configuration and better accommodation when compared to the Compass
• Competent 2.0L diesel. Good driveability in the city, quick on the open road
• Mature suspension setup, nicely-tuned EPS & rock-solid stability
• Capable AWD available, with 214 mm of ground clearance
• Feature packed: electric front seats (driver memory), panoramic sunroof, 360-degree camera, powered tailgate, LED projector headlights…
• Topnotch safety kit: Strong all-disc brakes, a plethora of electronic aids & 6 airbags
• Diesel AT now available without the AWD as well, thereby making it more accessible for urban dwellers (Compass Diesel AT only available with AWD, 5-lakhs more OTR)

What you won't:

• Cabin has limited width, can feel snug for larger passengers. 5th passenger (in the 2nd row) will feel unwelcome
• 3rd row is strictly for children and small adults
• Should’ve had more power for the price. Same 2.0L diesel available in SUVs from a segment below
• No petrol engine in a market that is moving to petrols in a big way. Delhiites will be disappointed
• 9-speed Automatic gearbox is competent, but not brilliant
• We’d have liked to see front parking sensors, paddle shifters, gearbox ‘sport’ mode, a sliding middle row, more connected tech features (it’s very basic currently)
• At low speeds, the firm ride quality always keeps you aware of the road quality you’re driving on
• Jeep India’s dealer & service network coverage is still limited
• Just the higher Limited & Limited (O) variants at launch. Not sure when lesser variants will follow

Link to Review

Citroen C5 Aircross

What you'll like:

• A superbly engineered & properly premium crossover
• Very stylish exteriors & interiors! We love the design. It's matched to solid build quality
• Good quality cabin with comfortable seats, lots of storage & fantastic insulation
• 2.0L diesel engine is quick, efficient & extremely refined
• Smooth 8-speed AT gearbox impresses
• Excellent ride comfort and mature road manners. High speed behaviour is sorted too
• Large, well-shaped 580 liter boot gobbles up holiday / airport luggage
• Loaded to the gills with features such as a panoramic sunroof, handsfree tailgate opening, customisable instrument cluster, double laminated front windows, terrain modes...
• 4-star rating in the Euro NCAP crash test. 3-point seatbelts for all five occupants, 6 airbags, blind spot monitoring system, ESP, hill hold, hill descent control and more

What you won't:

• Very expensive! We wish Citroen had priced-it-to-sell-it (aka penetration pricing)
• Rear legroom is strictly adequate. Two 5’10" adults can sit behind each other, but not two 6-footers
• No turbo-petrol engine (big miss), no AWD for tourers & no manual gearbox for MT fans
• Not really sporty to drive. Cars like the Compass & Tiguan are more fun
• Missing some features we expect today (connected car tech, ventilated seats, electrically adjustable passenger seat, ADAS, 360-degree camera, subwoofer…)
• The bolstering of the 3 individual rear seats is suitable for slim passengers, not heavier ones
• Audio sound quality is alright, but nothing special as you’d expect in a 40-lakh car
• Many competing crossovers & SUVs offer a 3rd-row of seats, which the C5 Aircross doesn't have
• Long-term reliability & after-sales service quality are still big unknowns

Link to Official Review

Link to Official Review - The 2022 Facelift

Hyundai Tucson

What you'll like:

• A futuristic-looking, well-engineered premium SUV
• Complete urban package with comfortable suspension, light steering and a smooth automatic
• 2.0L diesel engine is not just refined, but punchy too
• 540 litres of boot space is enough to haul holiday luggage
• ADAS safety features like autonomous emergency braking, blind spot monitor and lane-keep assist are cool & work reasonably well
• Loaded with features like a panoramic sunroof, multi-air mode AC, ventilated and heated front seats, connected car tech, wireless charging, boss control for the front seat etc.
• 5-star Euro NCAP rating. 6 airbags, ESC, VSM, downhill brake control, TPMS, 360-degree camera & more

What you won't:

• Edgy looks & funky styling may not be to everyone's liking
• At ~43 lakhs on road for the top-end variant, the Tucson is expensive!
• Not as engaging to drive as the Kodiaq or Tiguan
• Naturally-aspirated petrol isn't as punchy as the competitors' turbo-petrol units
• Other crossovers & SUVs offer a 3rd-row of seats. Tucson is a 5-seater only
• Some missing features such as paddle shifters, rear sunblinds...
• Hyundai badge lacks the snob value that many 40-lakh rupee customers are looking for

Link to Official Review

Last edited by Aditya : 20th December 2022 at 11:02.
Aditya is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 11:07   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The customer sure is spoilt for choice in the 40 - 50 lakh crossover space, and we're not even including indirect competitors like the Fortuner, Carnival, Hycross etc.

My choices would be the Kodiaq (a truly premium SUV with AWD, adjustable suspension, great turbo-petrol & DSG), Tucson (a thorough all-rounder) and believe it or not, the Innova Hycross. Despite it being an MPV, I'd actually buy the Hycross over a lot of entry-luxury crossovers like the GLA, X1 & gang which just aren't my kind of vehicles.

From the luxury marques, I'd pick the new Audi Q3 over the German competitors.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 12:42   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: 40-50 lakh crossover shootout: Audi Q3 vs BMW X1 vs Mercedes GLA-Class vs Volvo XC40 vs others

My vote goes to the GLA for its fast diesel, premium interiors and the Mercedes badge. The X1 is a close second and if the poll is repeated after the next gen X1 is launched, I may vote for it.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 13:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: 40-50 lakh crossover shootout: Audi Q3 vs BMW X1 vs Mercedes GLA-Class vs Volvo XC40 vs others

The next gen X1 is around the corner and looks good to me. I strongly believe its worth the wait, especially most cars have waiting period. Among cars listed, Tuscon and Kodiaq looks good value. The GLA diesel is a good improvement over predecessor, however personally find the looks of the car underwhelming.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 13:53   #5
BHPian

I had voted for Tucson in COTY this year owing to the fantastic package of torquey diesel + automatic, space, futuristic looks and features, plus the hassle free after sales service by Hyundai. Still preferred to vote for Kodiaq on this poll - great all-rounder for the price Mercedes, BMW & Audi offer bare-bones; the love for European build and quality still makes me prefer Kodiaq over a Tucson.
HighRevving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 16:23   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I love the Citroen AirCross C 5 in this segment. Its ride quality is truly the much touted magic carpet. To me it represents the perfect comfortable and luxurious family carrier. I love its uniquely French styling, design, engineering and sheer quality, fit and finish. It is full of character and quirky enough to appeal to an unconventional person like me. Importantly, I am quite a Francophile and that also prompts me towards this vote.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 08:46   #7

I don't see the option to vote but maybe that's because I'm just new to the platform.
At this point, without a detailed review of the new X1 for the Indian market, I'd choose the Volvo XC40. It ticks many checkboxes for me such as an impressive sound system, top class reliability, safety, stunner looks packaged in a super elegant finish and the mild hybrid power train that gives it a much better fuel efficiency.
The GLA as well is a head turner and I love the 4matic diesel but price to feature ratio just makes more sense with the Volvo. If I wanted to go for the Merc, I'd probably just stretch to the GLC instead.

To me, at this price range, the badge value matters hence not going with the Kodiaq or Tucson. They are both great cars but the cons in OP beautifully capture the disdain. If I wanted value, I'd probably go with the Innova Hycross instead.
bladegradev8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 09:43   #8
BHPian

My pick is MERCEDES GLA preferably in a 35 AMG avatar.
GLA 35 is F-A-S-T with 302hp 400 nm torque with the practicality of everyday usage without damaging the pocket much.
0-100 in 5.1 secs
It has Three-Pointed Star Badge.
In my eyes, the Interiors of Mercedes in any segment are just a class above the competition

Last edited by vattyboy : 22nd December 2022 at 09:56.
vattyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 11:53   #9
BHPian

New X1 in 2023 (50 lakhs OTR) or
Hyundai Ioniq or Kia EV6 Dual Motor (if you want a futuristic EV now).

If I have the right usage pattern (daily use of at least 30-60 kms) , Ioniq 5 is the one I will take, which is priced sensibly as it is a CKD (less taxes), with a top 3 Hyundai service network coverage and usually a fuss free owner experience.

XC40 ride quality is not up to the mark in the rear seat. Please check all the models available now. Q3 is simply not exciting inside out. X1 seems to be an option worth waiting as it is considerably upgraded (price might go up as well from current 50L on road with BSI + thrown in). GLA interior is one of the best in the range but the drive is not great and as well the exterior design looks like a souped up hatch. The AMG is crossing 65L and it is absurd.

Meridian - I would not put my 50 Lakhs on a Jeep product. Also, the Meridian itself is not worth with its puny 2 liter engine. It should have a bit more CC for the size and it is surely underpowered for highway overtakes and ghat roads especially fully loaded.

EV can be considered only if there is a regular daily usage otherwise, wait for X1 2023. Nothing can beat what X1 can offer when it comes to snob value and driving experience.

Last edited by sgmuser : 22nd December 2022 at 12:01. Reason: missed a point.
sgmuser is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 12:41   #10
BHPian

With so many choices in this segment, it really depends on what you are looking for in a car.

Value Luxury with Petrol - Skoda Kodiaq
Value Luxury with Diesel - Hyundai Tucson
Entry-level german - Audi Q3
Ride Comfort, Pleasure driving - Citroen C5 Aircross

My personal choice would be Jeep Meridian, although I often see it getting ignored in the sea of options here.

* It has luxurious interiors, is feature loaded
* A capable off-roader
* Build like a tank
* Superb ride quality, excellent NVH
* Great high-speed dynamics
* 214 mm unladen ground crealrence

Although Meridian has a lower-powered engine which will not give you that 'kick' when you put the paddle down, it has enough grunt for sedate driving and provides a balance of many aspects of different options in this segment.

If you are okay to make peace with Jeep reliability and ASS, Meridian does give a compelling package. (Especially with the great discounts Jeep is giving right now).
shashankjain16 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 12:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

If its badge is what matters, I would wait for the new BMW X1 (U11). If I'm purely looking for a all-round premium crossover in that budget, Skoda Kodiaq it is. Skoda's DSG reliability issues is a huge deterrent for me and that's why I may consider the next option, Jeep Meridian.

Last edited by HammerHead : 22nd December 2022 at 12:52.
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 14:57   #12
BHPian

This is a very heterogenous group of cars, with ex-showroom prices ranging from around 30 lacs (Tucson) to 50+ lacs (for the GLA and Q3). It’s also a segment where the best from the mainstream brands (Hyundai, VW, Skoda) compete against entry-level offerings of the premium brands. There are two 7 seaters in the mix too. Similar is the feature mix, with some cars like the Tucson offering a great feature set including ADAS, while the Germans have chosen to really cut down on specs. Also worth noting, is how pricey most of these cars have become over the last three years; what we are paying for a GLA can fetch us a GLC in some countries. It is a shame that the GLA despite being so expensive comes with a 1.3 litre petrol when 2.0 l is the segment standard.
Considering things like reliability, service, and the overall ease of ownership, I would probably choose a Tucson among the mainstream brands, for its nice powertrain and feature set. If I were to pick up a premium small crossover, it’d be a XC40 if petrol (quite well specced, good interiors, and decent powertrain) or a GLA220D if diesel (for the nice powertrain, interiors, and MB badge).
It’s is however extremely difficult to justify the ~17 lac premium I’d have to pay for the GLA220D over the Tucson top end here in Kerala.
Going by the international reviews, the new X1 is likely to be a good option in this segment.
one-77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 16:01   #13
BHPian

Hyundai Ioniq 5 is my vote. These are the reasons:

1. Golden window of opportunity for car enthusiasts in India to buy a high-performance car with minimal taxes. Same time next year, I expect most states to start sunsetting or limiting the road tax waivers.

2. Proper global product winning plenty of accolades and already stress-tested in many markets. Not much in terms of niggles.

3. Will have the best performance in the segment along with oodles of interior space space.

4. You will be buying next-generation technology making you less likely to feel the upgrade itch after 3 or 4 years which will happen if you buy ICE.

5. If you are living in a major city plenty of fast-charging options popping up month on month. Real range of 450 - 500 KMs is pretty the max anyone in India can drive in a day. Makes it feasible even for highway rides with overnight charging in destination with a 15A socket.
shyampsunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 16:08   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Hyundai Tucson which for me is a very big deal - it would probably be one of the few times I have voted for a Hyundai (i.e. willing to put my money on one - the elantra and previous generation Tucson being the other 2 Hyundai's I wouldn't have minded at home).
I personally find the Tucson Diesel to be very well priced (for it's segment, compared to it's peers in today's day), a great all rounder with neutral ride & handling, punchy diesel, etc. Also being a Hyundai - it would be a little easier to maintain than the others in the list : I expect them to be better stocked with respect to parts, etc. as compared to the outgoing others.

The second choice on the list is the Tiguan. It was our pick back in 2018 compared to the previous generation Tucson, and X1. 35K kms & 4 years later, we are very happy customers of the Tiguan. The Kodiaq does make more sense with the adaptive suspension, and 3rd row of seats - but to be honest, the additional outlay of 7-10L is only for the adaptive suspension as the 3rd row is something we would never use except for airport trips to put bags, but the Tiguan hasn't let us down. No point compromising on daily ease of city driving and more importantly parking for that 1 day of airport pick-ups.

Finally we come to the X1. It's third on the list simply because it is a fun to drive, and well priced SUV post discounts. I don't see any value in the GLA, Q3 at these prices - rather pick up a one year old GLA35AMG for cheaper than a new Q3 / GLA220D.
The new X1 will be far superior, but at a decent premium which just may not be worth it. It's a FWD entry level BMW globally and I'd rather pay a little more and get a discounted Q5. That being said, this is probably the most senior citizen friendly SUV out there with a lower ingress than the Tiguan making it easy for my grandmother to slide into the seat while offering enough space and creature comforts.

The GLA, XC40, Q3 are grossly overpriced and just not something I can see myself wrapping my head around. Maybe once discounts / pre-owned cars start showing up but it feels ridiculous to spend so much on entry level Germans.
The Kodiaq, Tiguan, Tucson offer 120% of these cars ability at 70-80% the price!

The C5 is cramped and is missing a rear armrest which is crucial for a person spending close to 50L - very high chances of them being chauffeur driven at some point even if they love to drive, and the Meridien - though nice, not a fan of the space on offer and the price they're offering it at.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 18:24   #15
BHPian

Quite a confusing list because the offerings are really good. So many options, each bringing something special to the table.
I am almost in this dilemma personally though the seed is still in my mind (hasn't been discussed with family yet).

My second runner up is the Citroen C5. Drove it a lot during my stay in EU and could not find a single fault with the entire package. Problem in India is the limited service network and worry on availability of spare parts.

My runner up is the Meridian. The looks are just fantastic, the legacy is incredible and feature list long. The entire package is hard to beat.

My winning choice is Tucson (diesel). It is the perfect blend of luxury and reliability that I am looking for, esp when spending 40+ lacs. Apart from the Hyundai badge, I do not find anything concerning about it (yet).

PS - Honorable mentions to the German twins of Kodiaq and Tiguan. Your perceived service costs and hearsay horror stories keep me from shortlisting you, but you have an admirer in me - for life.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 22nd December 2022 at 18:29.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks